ADVERTISEMENT

Tragic mistake 😂

It was a safe sign to hang with that "tough" schedule they play.

I've got to say after being on this MDVarsity forum for far too many years that the Mountain Ridge posters here - mostly CrickRat23 and beall02 - are as gracious in wins and losses as any poster I have ever talked on forums with. And I've been on forums since 1997 college, pro and high school. You folks represent Mtn Ridge top flight and I have the utmost respect. Will talk football with y'all any time.

Wait we’re saying it’s not true… they had plenty of time to take it down.

It looked real to me, as well as a “fake” being it wasn’t official… it was clearly a sticker with bubbles under it

Last edited:
ton of backlash from Frostburg saying how the sportsmanship was bad from the FH folks. just wondering, how would it have looked if the fg was missed? that procession would have slow walked thru cumberland on its way to frbg. imho

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Since Mtn. Ridge can now compete on the same level as Fort Hill football, does this mean they will add 3A and 4A teams to their schedule?
But can they? They had two really good years filled with talented players. Their stable won't be as full next year as most of their talent is gone. Their JV team was not dominant. FH blew them out 42-0. We shall see but I think Allegany might be competing for that #2 spot next year.

Last edited:
Since Mtn. Ridge can now compete on the same level as Fort Hill football, does this mean they will add 3A and 4A teams to their schedule?
with what they have coming back no chance, they will be luck to win 4 of the 9 if they play the sane schedule. in 2 years they will be good again.

Mountain Ridge will be the 2023 favorite with FH to play in the 1A title game again. Patterson will be another great QB. They have some star shoes to fill and lose a lot of linemen but they will be capable of getting 8-9 regular season wins again playing a similar schedule.

I think Ridge and Alco will be very competitive next year for the number two regional spot. I also see either of those teams still beating most of the other 1A teams out there. Joppatowne being a possible exception, they had a very young team this year with some key players coming back. The only thing I see really changing too much next year is that the gap widens a little between FH and Ridge. They were pretty much dead even this year.

However, a caveat to all that is FH loses a huge chunk of their backfield and DBs, as well as most of their speed guys. Willis, Wertz, Allen, Palmisano, Burns, Welsh - thats a lot of speed to lose at once. Especially defending the pass.

Mountain Ridge will be the 2023 favorite with FH to play in the 1A title game again. Patterson will be another great QB. They have some star shoes to fill and lose a lot of linemen but they will be capable of getting 8-9 regular season wins again playing a similar schedule.

And if Fort Hill played a similar schedule there would be all kinds of criticism.

Reactions: SS610
I know we shouldn't put too much emphasis on a JV record, (many things change), but Ridge was undefeated last year with Patterson at the helm. Losing 17 Seniors, many of those, significant contributors this season will be a killer. But I wouldn't count Ridge out of making a run again next year. Especially with the watered down 1A.

I think Ridge and Alco will be very competitive next year for the number two regional spot. I also see either of those teams still beating most of the other 1A teams out there. Joppatowne being a possible exception, they had a very young team this year with some key players coming back. The only thing I see really changing too much next year is that the gap widens a little between FH and Ridge. They were pretty much dead even this year.

However, a caveat to all that is FH loses a huge chunk of their backfield and DBs, as well as most of their speed guys. Willis, Wertz, Allen, Palmisano, Burns, Welsh - thats a lot of speed to lose at once. Especially defending the pass.
I've said multiple times that in the last 8 years FH has never returned more than 4-5 starters. Some years even less. They lean on the seniors every year.

The only returning offensive starters on this year's team were Willis, Wertz and Hess. FH only had 1 returning starter on the entire offensive line from tight end to tackle.

And if Fort Hill played a similar schedule there would be all kinds of criticism.
I happen to know of 3a & 4a schools that have open dates next year.....Old Mill, Oakdale & New Oxford.
If MR drops Allegany like Boonsboro did that will create one open date.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I happen to know of 3a & 4a schools that have open dates next year.....Old Mill, Oakdale & New Oxford.
If MR drops Allegany like Boonsboro did that will create one open date.

I am curious to see what teams do with their schedules next year. This is the 1st scheduling cycle where AD's and coaches have known for sure that there would be 6 classes along with the everyone makes it model. I don't hold out much hope that things will change from the past but one can dream. From looking at the open date exchange, Linganore has weeks 1 and 2 open. The only ones showing on there now that make sense are Broadneck (weeks 1 and 2), Edgewood (Week 1) and Manchester Valley (Week 1). Broadneck-Linganore would be an awesome matchup but I think you only see it if scheduling philosophies have shifted a bit, especially considering how much Linganore struggled this year. Still want to see Linganore-Fort Hill but I know, I know, never gonna happen :(

Does it matter? Everyone gets in no matter their record these days.

Look at the advantage that MR/Northern/Southern would have against a team from downstate if they are hosting playoff games in mid to late November. It happened this year with the MR/Bo Manor game.
what advantage did mountain ridge have when they played Bo manner at home.? Seems to me like they would have killed them anywhere

what advantage did mountain ridge have when they played Bo manner at home.? Seems to me like they would have killed them anywhere
Nobody wants to travel 3 hours across the state on a Friday for the playoff game, period. That alone is an advantage. It makes all the more difference if the talent gap is closer.

Nobody wants to travel 3 hours across the state on a Friday for the playoff game, period. That alone is an advantage. It makes all the more difference if the talent gap is closer.
Not to mention the weather. Rain in Baltimore could be snow in the mountains. 40° down state will be 30° in allegany county

The whole argument that everyone makes the playoffs so schedule whoever you want doesn't work with coaches. As an example, they don't want to travel to Frostburg for a semifinal game because they loaded up the schedule while no one else did. We have had these debates many times in the past. State Championships are the primary goal for certain programs like Mtn Ridge, Alco and FH. So they are not going to overload based on points. When a team gets zero points for a loss against St. Frances but gets 9 points for beating Silver Oak...the system is flawed.

Personally, I have always been a supporter of building a tough schedule. But not overload. As stated, I would be OK adding a Martinsburg. But not with Old Mill and Damascus on the schedule too for example. Not if everyone else I'm competing for a state title game is playing Keyser and Smithsburg types.

Maybe the MPSSAA could consider making the 3rd round games and beyond at neutral fields. But that's not going to happen. So the point system is important to coaches.

Martinsburg learned a hard lesson this fall. They loaded up the schedule with a few real heavy hitters and ended up traveling to Charleston come postseason and lost. They are now scrambling to not load up with real heavy hitters.

Last edited:
That really is a great point Todd.
I really enjoyed the Kent Island game a few years ago. One of the better teams in the state from that area would be nice to get them on the schedule again. . Is Oakdale definitely out?

The advantage I was referring to was having to travel so far and play a game the same day, as well as the weather, it wasn’t exactly ideal conditions that night in Frostburg.

And I do understand that it didn’t play a factor in terms of MR clearly being the better team. But I am sure Bo Manor wasn’t too keen on playing the game in those conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT