ADVERTISEMENT

Times-News All Area Football Team

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Came out in yesterday's newspaper. The rule has always been, a player can only be First Team on one side of the ball, not both.

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE
QB - Jacob Hartman - Petersburg
QB - Blake Beal - Fort Hill
RB - Sefa Pua'auli - Mountain Ridge
RB - Carter Swan - Fort Hill
RB - Nick Marley - Frankfort
RB - Tyreke Powell - Fort Hill
REC/E - Tyce Wisnewski - Petersburg
REC/E - Trevor Sardo - Hampshire
REC/E - Reggie Redman - Keyser
AP - Grant Mayfield - Hampshire
OL - Trey Bishop - Fort Hill
OL - Alex Oates - Keyser
OL - Joe Custer - Southern
OL - Hunter Jacobs - Fort Hill
OL - Liam Moran - Fort Hill
OL - Dalton Ray - Keyser
K - Danny King - Fort Hill

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE
DL - Shakur Trimble - Fort Hill
DL - Wyatt Brehm - Fort Hill
DL - Isaiah Plummer - Fort Hill
DL - Cole Sweitzer - Southern
DL - Tre Smith - Mountain Ridge
DL - Don Woodworth - Keyser
DL - John Hicks - Hampshire
LB - Christian Welch - Allegany
LB - Colten Crabtree - Fort Hill
LB - Doug Morral - Petersburg
LB - Jace Guy - Southern
DB - Braeden Askins - Fort Hill
DB - Ryan Shoemaker - Keyser
DB - Damian Miller - Mountain Ridge
P - John Hicks - Hampshire

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE
QB - Hayden MacLaughlin - Southern
RB - Christian Welch - Allegany
RB - Brady Clay - Keyser
RB - Dalton Pollock - Frankfort
RB - Braeden Askins - Fort Hill
REC/E - Anthony Smith - Fort Hill
REC/E - Tre Smith - Mountain Ridge
REC/E - Brekale Washington - Southern
AP - Zach Wampler - Petersburg
AP - Jake Rush - Northern
OL - Cole Sweitzer - Southern
OL - Parker Preaskorn - Allegany
OL - Jakobe Jackson - Fort Hill
OL - Jonas Shaffer - Southern
OL - Amadeus Swinton - Allegany
OL - Hayden Stein - Frankfort
K - Atikilt Tamiru - Moorefield

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE
DL - Bryan Uhl - Fort Hill
DL - Jacob Perry - Keyser
DL - Amadeus Swinton - Allegany
DL - Hunter Park - Southern
DL - David Blanco - Frankfort
DL - Aaron VanMeter - Mountain Ridge
LB - Carter Swan - Fort Hill
LB - Sefa Pua'auli - Mountain Ridge
LB - Jacob Hartman - Petersburg
LB - Jordan Rohrbaugh - Southern
LB - Sam Beeman - Northern
LB - Trent Merbaugh - Mountain Ridge
LB - Jayden Haines - Fort Hill
DB - Reggie Redman - Keyser
DB - Anthony Smith - Fort Hill
DB - Bryson Sivic - Mountain Ridge
P - Sam Beeman - Northern
P - Danny King - Fort Hill

Just a question. Isn't 17 kids on first team O an awful lot of kids? I can't remamber how many has been on for team in the past

I was thinking it’s a lot as well. 2 qb’s?? 1 should be first team and the other second team. Second team has 17 as well, really 16 because of the kicker.

Don't ever remember two quarterbacks before, and if you are going to have an AP player, get rid of one of the receivers or running backs (maybe both). 1 QB, 4 rbs, 6 lineman, 2 ends/receivers, 1 AP. I think they got the defensive breakdown right, but those are just my opinions.

Just a question. Isn't 17 kids on first team O an awful lot of kids? I can't remamber how many has been on for team in the past

I agree. I said the same thing about the top awards where every award was shared. I have voted for college football All America teams for a very long time. Generally they look like this and they are rarely ever shared.

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
OL
OL
C
OL
OL
K
KR

Usually 12 spots with a kicker and return man. They usually don't have an AP slot as they use a KR and PR slot to cover that. But it depends on the list. Some have an AP.

Last edited:
They haven't had it for 20 years, but the All City quarterback selection was always funny to me. If you were a starting QB at a Cumberland school you were at least honorable mention. I always imagined someone putting that on a college application when it came to extracurriculars.

When you have a school (Fort Hill) that has dominated this sport the way it has for the past 10 years in the same town as the local paper you tend to have this happen a lot. They don't want to seem bias to outsiders so they try their best to avoid it at all cost. If a Fort Hill player was the best at that position than any other player at any other school then he deserves the award. Bottom line.

When you have a school (Fort Hill) that has dominated this sport the way it has for the past 10 years in the same town as the local paper you tend to have this happen a lot. They don't want to seem bias to outsiders so they try their best to avoid it at all cost. If a Fort Hill player was the best at that position than any other player at any other school then he deserves the award. Bottom line.
Totally agree with what you are saying, but also looking at it on the flip side...….. FH has dominated as a team the past 10 years. But I totally believe that their domination has more to do with their coaching and system than it does the talent of athletes each year. You can't tell me that EVERY state champ team over the past 7 years has had just MORE talent than every other 1A in the state. As we all know, the measure of a TEAM is not simply the sum of its parts. So each player on FH does not have to be automatically voted onto the All-Area team nor should they. It should be a measure of each players individual talent. Although it will never happen, the best way to produce a true ALL-AREA team would be for the players themselves to vote much like the NFL all-pro team. They are the ones who truly know the RB hardest to tackle or lineman hardest to block.
Also, agree way too many positions and it should be 1 QB which if you look at the numbers , it should be Hartman.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Totally agree with what you are saying, but also looking at it on the flip side...….. FH has dominated as a team the past 10 years. But I totally believe that their domination has more to do with their coaching and system than it does the talent of athletes each year. You can't tell me that EVERY state champ team over the past 7 years has had just MORE talent than every other 1A in the state. As we all know, the measure of a TEAM is not simply the sum of its parts. So each player on FH does not have to be automatically voted onto the All-Area team nor should they. It should be a measure of each players individual talent. Although it will never happen, the best way to produce a true ALL-AREA team would be for the players themselves to vote much like the NFL all-pro team. They are the ones who truly know the RB hardest to tackle or lineman hardest to block.
Also, agree way too many positions and it should be 1 QB which if you look at the numbers , it should be Hartman.

Agreed.. they're a true program from top to bottom. They obviously do have talent, but how they operate is what makes them so successful more so than their individual talent at every position. If it was all talent, you'd see them sending more kids to play D1, D1-AA and D2 ball every single year. That's what makes them different than a school who just has a lot of talented kids. It's a successful run that's obviously not over yet, and probably won't be duplicated every again.

Reactions: RollSentinels
It would be one thing if FH just won all the time, but they completely dominate locally with running clocks by halftime. That's why no one locally will play FH outside of the mandatory two other county schools and Southern popping back for 2 years. It's the ONLY sport, girls or boys, where this is the case. So if there is ever a voting situation where this kid at another local school is being compared to a FH player, if it's fairly close the FH kid is going to get it. And I cannot argue with that.

To say FH wins by such huge margins absolutely has much to do with superior player talent. The coaching is a huge factor as well but don't discount the talent gaps. That and a harder work ethic selling all out for football year round. It's also a big reason the other male sports at FH like hoops and baseball take a back seat winning games. Everything is geared towards football.

Granted FH football does not produce D1 talent very often. But they produce boatloads of D2 and D3 talent. Almost an entire starting line up of it. That is what makes them a team, and not a cast of a few individuals. It's rare to find a weakness.

The All-AMAC basketball team was announced. It was all BW players except one and I never heard anyone dispute it. Is that a talent gap or coaching/system? Despite a good coach and a new big time program, there is absolutely a talent gap there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 52 to victory
To say FH wins by such huge margins absolutely has much to do with superior player talent. The coaching is a huge factor as well but don't discount the talent gaps. That and a harder work ethic selling all out for football year round. It's also a big reason the other male sports at FH like hoops and baseball take a back seat winning games. Everything is geared towards football.

Granted FH football does not produce D1 talent very often. But they produce boatloads of D2 and D3 talent. Almost an entire starting line up of it. That is what makes them a team, and not a cast of a few individuals. It's rare to find a weakness.

The All-AMAC basketball team was announced. It was all BW players except one and I never heard anyone dispute it. Is that a talent gap or coaching/system? Despite a good coach and a new big time program, there is absolutely a talent gap there as well.

I had to read this twice to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. Who are D2 and D3 players they have produced? FH has won 5 out of the last 6 1A titles. How many college players (at any level) will they have in uniform this fall?

Last edited:
I had to read this twice to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. Who are D2 and D3 players they have produced? FH has won 5 out of the last 6 1A titles. How many college players (at any level) will they have in uniform this fall?

No doubt the players and coaches are dedicated at FH, but they don't work any harder than other kids around the state. They have advantages that other 1A programs don't have. Dunbar has some of the same advantages in terms of talent. That's why FH or Dunbar has won 12 of the last 13 1A titles, and one of them is going to win again this year. If you look at the other classifications you don't see that kind of domination by two schools.

You really want to talk Dunbar on this All-Area thread about local teams? LOL, not surprising. We have been comparing area teams and why FH has so many on the AA team, read the thread. If you want to jump outside and compare the current smallest public school in Allegany County to the world you'de been better off to take your own advice and do so on another thread. No one here has even mentioned "other kids around the state".

In answer to your first question, read the AA list. There are 12 FH seniors on that list that are extremely D2 and D3 legit. Pretty much the entire starting lineup. Will they all make it with grades, SAT and money allotment (that D3 doesn't help with)? Nope.

If you're telling me that FH doesn't outwork other programs then you have proven the point that their record breaking run of success must be due to a talent gap. Yes, there is a massive talent gap between FH and other area schools as duly noted on the All-Area Team every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedPride97

No doubt the players and coaches are dedicated at FH, but they don't work any harder than other kids around the state. They have advantages that other 1A programs don't have. Dunbar has some of the same advantages in terms of talent. That's why FH or Dunbar has won 12 of the last 13 1A titles, and one of them is going to win again this year. If you look at the other classifications you don't see that kind of domination by two schools.
I can say that fort hills conditioning and weight training programs are far beyond most other schools and has been that way for a good time so yes they do work harder

You really want to talk Dunbar on this All-Area thread about local teams? LOL, not surprising. We have been comparing area teams and why FH has so many on the AA team, read the thread. If you want to jump outside and compare the current smallest public school in Allegany County to the world you'de been better off to take your own advice and do so on another thread. No one here has even mentioned "other kids around the state".

In answer to your first question, read the AA list. There are 12 FH seniors on that list that are extremely D2 and D3 legit. Pretty much the entire starting lineup. Will they all make it with grades, SAT and money allotment (that D3 doesn't help with)? Nope.

If you're telling me that FH doesn't outwork other programs then you have proven the point that their record breaking run of success must be due to a talent gap. Yes, there is a massive talent gap between FH and other area schools as duly noted on the All-Area Team every year.

I asked you a question that you didn't answer. Your exact statement was "they (FH) produce boatloads of D2 and D3 talent" Of those seniors on the AA list how many currently have offers? I'm simply asking who have they produced? Are you telling me FH has 5 out of the last 6 titles and you can't name the "boatloads" of D2 and D3 talent? I've never heard of FH producing a lot of college level players.

So by the same logic Allegany has been dominating FH in basketball over the last several years because they work harder and have a superior conditioning program?
Little off the rails we are talking football. I could give a shit about basketball. Next season when alco is getting physically punished pay attention then maybe you will understand. They didnt work hard enough

I asked you a question that you didn't answer. Your exact statement was "they (FH) produce boatloads of D2 and D3 talent" Of those seniors on the AA list how many currently have offers? I'm simply asking who have they produced? Are you telling me FH has 5 out of the last 6 titles and you can't name the "boatloads" of D2 and D3 talent? I've never heard of FH producing a lot of college level players.

I did answer your question. Out of those 12, they all have offers/opportunities to play at the next level. One of them is done with football...was almost done playing after his junior year. Another is on a baseball ride.

Honestly, any kid that made the AA team has an opportunity to play at the next level if they really want it. It just so happens FH has a boatload of them. Which is what this discussion has been about.

Last edited:
I did answer your question. Out of those 12, they all have offers/opportunities to play at the next level. One of them is done with football...was almost done playing after his junior year. Another is on a baseball ride.

Honestly, any kid that made the AA team has an opportunity to play at the next level if they really want it. It just so happens FH has a boatload of them. Which is what this discussion has been about.

OK, if you're going on record saying 10 of the 12 seniors have “offers” to play college ball that’s a tremendous accomplishment!!

Last edited:
Little off the rails we are talking football. I could give a shit about basketball. Next season when alco is getting physically punished pay attention then maybe you will understand. They didnt work hard enough
So you're saying FH didn't work hard enough every year they didn't win a title. Are you saying that FH is 0-for against Dunbar at 1A because the Poets work harder than FH?

What is a bummer is that parents and children have zero understanding of the recruiting process. It's rare anyone from this area is going D1. But I have seen parents spend over $2000 with recruiting services like the NCSA but yet never spend a dime on hiring a SAT tutor for their son. If you understand how D2 and D3 and even many FCS programs work...the academic side is where the money flows. It got so frustrating for me that I had to step back.

The first question I ask a student-athlete is what they plan on doing after high school if they don't play football. If the answer isn't "go to college", then they should not be wasting their time with football at the next level.

Reactions: 52 to victory
What is a bummer is that parents and children have zero understanding of the recruiting process. It's rare anyone from this area is going D1. But I have seen parents spend over $2000 with recruiting services like the NCSA but yet never spend a dime on hiring a SAT tutor for their son. If you understand how D2 and D3 and even many FCS programs work...the academic side is where the money flows. It got so frustrating for me that I had to step back.

The first question I ask a student-athlete is what they plan on doing after high school if they don't play football. If the answer isn't "go to college", then they should not be wasting their time with football at the next level.

I agree with this. The good part about Cumberland and the entire Tri-state is you pretty much know by 6th or 7th grade what kids are going to be "athletes" and have a chance to play post prep. So those kids should be prepared academically before they get to high school. I talked to a couple of people about starting a tutoring program. Nothing has happened yet but I still think it could be a good idea. If you know in 6th grade a kid is special they should never get to 12th grade and not have the grades.

Are you talking just football being rare going D1?

Are you talking just football being rare going D1?

Yes I was just talking football. Although I would think other sports are pretty rare as well. I would not be able to count the # of area kids playing on a full scholarship with a D1 level school in other sports. Someone else might be able to answer that better than I could.

Yes I was just talking football. Although I would think other sports are pretty rare as well. I would not be able to count the # of area kids playing on a full scholarship with a D1 level school in other sports. Someone else might be able to answer that better than I could.
I know two girls from Allegany softball have pretty substantial D1 offers. One has signed to UMBC and the other is verbal to Providence. There will be a third as well when she is old enough to commit. I do know that softball is not a head count sport as football is for scholarships so they can spread it out. A lot of schools are not fully funded in softball as well

I know two girls from Allegany softball have pretty substantial D1 offers. One has signed to UMBC and the other is verbal to Providence. There will be a third as well when she is old enough to commit. I do know that softball is not a head count sport as football is for scholarships so they can spread it out. A lot of schools are not fully funded in softball as well

Would be curious to know if that is a rare occurrence because this is a year with some great players or is it a frequent thing. Like, how many D1 offers in the last 10 years. I don't ever recall that being a normal situation for any sport.

Would be curious to know if that is a rare occurrence because this is a year with some great players or is it a frequent thing. Like, how many D1 offers in the last 10 years. I don't ever recall that being a normal situation for any sport.
I know Allegany has had several girls go on and play D1 and D2 in the past but yes I would say it is a rare occurrence to have 3 players on the same team.Also there is one other girl on the team that will play D2 or D3

What needs to be remembered is that there are way less DI football schools than there are DI schools in basketball, baseball/softball, etc.

Only about a third of schools that are DI schools have a DI football program.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
What needs to be remembered is that there are way less DI football schools than there are DI schools in basketball, baseball/softball, etc.

Only about a third of schools that are DI schools have a DI football program.
Are you including D1 sub division? If so I believe there would probably be over 300 D1 football programs as compared to 280 or so softball. Doesn't change the fact that girls are receiving D1 scholarships

Are you including D1 sub division? If so I believe there would probably be over 300 D1 football programs as compared to 280 or so softball. Doesn't change the fact that girls are receiving D1 scholarships

No. Nobody includes them. Going off traditional meaning of DI. There are 130 football schools at the highest level. There are 286 DI softball schools and 347 basketball DI basketball teams.

And these girls getting scholarships doesnt change the fact that there are twice as many DI softball schools than there football.

No. Nobody includes them. Going off traditional meaning of DI. There are 130 football schools at the highest level. There are 286 DI softball schools and 347 basketball DI basketball teams.

And these girls getting scholarships doesnt change the fact that there are twice as many DI softball schools than there football.
So D1 sub division doesn't offer full ride scholarships like D1 FCS? You have to include them, they are all included in D1 basketball and softball. D1 is D1 no matter what way you put it

It's funny because when the NCAA when to the FBS/FCS system it kind of muddied the waters. I was on Facebook and someone was talking about a player getting a football scholarship to a D1 school and my first thought was they were mistaken because it was a tiny school. But I looked it up and it was a D1 FCS college. So yes some people are using the D1 terminology when convenient.

Reactions: OneRing
It's funny because when the NCAA when to the FBS/FCS system it kind of muddied the waters. I was on Facebook and someone was talking about a player getting a football scholarship to a D1 school and my first thought was they were mistaken because it was a tiny school. But I looked it up and it was a D1 FCS college. So yes some people are using the D1 terminology when convenient.
Not quite sure I understand. So are you saying getting a scholarship to a small D1 school is not as significate as getting one to say Clemson or Alabama? Scholarships are scholarships, your schooling is getting paid for weather you go to Ohio State or Youngstown State. it doesn't matter how muddy the water is

Reactions: RollSentinels
So D1 sub division doesn't offer full ride scholarships like D1 FCS? You have to include them, they are all included in D1 basketball and softball. D1 is D1 no matter what way you put it

I wish they'd stuck with the old D1 and D1-AA classifications for NCAA Division 1 football... but they NCAA was bored, I guess, and had to go FBS (D1) and FCS (D1-AA), even though the "C" in FCS stands for "Chamionship" because they have a playoff system and when the renaming happened, D1 (FBS... "B" for "Bowl") didn't have a playoff. But now they do, so maybe they'll rename it again. And yes, the only real designation of D1 and D1-AA is with football. D1 basketball, baseball, soccer etc. are all just D1.

Anyway, answering your initial question...
- Full D1 teams (FBS) like Penn State, MD, Bama have 85 full scholarships that are pretty much always given out whole. I'm not aware of any partially alloted D1 scholarships, but I guess it's possible.
- D1-AA (FCS) teams like Towson, St. Francis, JMU have 63 full scholarships that they give out whole but also take a number of them and split them in half or even into quarters.
- D2 schools like Shepherd, Fairmont and now Frostburg have a maximum of 36 full scholarships that, like I-AA, they can give out in whole or break up individual scholarships into many pieces. Most D2 schools don't actually fund 36 full rides though.. their athletic departments usually cap them somewhere between 20 and 30, so D2 schools that generate more money like Shepherd and especially Cal PA have more full rides to use than a Frostburg or Glenville State.

I wish they'd stuck with the old D1 and D1-AA classifications for NCAA Division 1 football... but they NCAA was bored, I guess, and had to go FBS (D1) and FCS (D1-AA), even though the "C" in FCS stands for "Chamionship" because they have a playoff system and when the renaming happened, D1 (FBS... "B" for "Bowl") didn't have a playoff. But now they do, so maybe they'll rename it again. And yes, the only real designation of D1 and D1-AA is with football. D1 basketball, baseball, soccer etc. are all just D1.

Anyway, answering your initial question...
- Full D1 teams (FBS) like Penn State, MD, Bama have 85 full scholarships that are pretty much always given out whole. I'm not aware of any partially alloted D1 scholarships, but I guess it's possible.
- D1-AA (FCS) teams like Towson, St. Francis, JMU have 63 full scholarships that they give out whole but also take a number of them and split them in half or even into quarters.
- D2 schools like Shepherd, Fairmont and now Frostburg have a maximum of 36 full scholarships that, like I-AA, they can give out in whole or break up individual scholarships into many pieces. Most D2 schools don't actually fund 36 full rides though.. their athletic departments usually cap them somewhere between 20 and 30, so D2 schools that generate more money like Shepherd and especially Cal PA have more full rides to use than a Frostburg or Glenville State.
So D1 FCS is not a head count scholarship? I wasn't aware of that. I know D1 FBS is, I just assumed football was all the same. After reading some more D1 FCS can split scholarships with no more than 85 kids

Last edited:
DII offers full ride scholarships. You can't include them as DI. The FBS is not the same as the FCS. Never has been.

Yeah, I think it was the show Community where there was a line like, "Dont you have a degree from Columbia?" And the answer was, "yeah, but now I need one from America."

You say you have a degree from Columbia, people assume the school (not the country). When you say you have a DI scholarship, especially in football, your think of FBS schools.

Yeah, I think it was the show Community where there was a line like, "Dont you have a degree from Columbia?" And the answer was, "yeah, but now I need one from America."

You say you have a degree from Columbia, people assume the school (not the country). When you say you have a DI scholarship, especially in football, your think of FBS schools.
D1 is still D1 no matter how you look at it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT