ADVERTISEMENT

They say......

I've been trying to explain that teams in PG aren't trying to avoid good competition. FH people keep perpetuating this myth that the 4A schools won't play them because a loss is too costly. And really are they even discussing 4A schools when they had the opportunity to play a good 2A school and clearly didn't want to play them?

This is no different than the scheduling myths you attempt to create about Cumberland schools. PG County schools dont want to play FH period. Has nothing to do with being afraid of competition. Has to do with money and travel and games being available nearby. That pretty much applies to every MD school. So when we tell you few teams wants to play FH I have no idea why that is a falacy. Its extremely true. When we tell you FH doesn't want to make bad budget deals to play teams like in the I-95 Classic that's not ok, but it is ok for other schools. Sorry dude, you wear your dislike of FH on the sleeve. Whats ok for others isn't ok in Cumberland. Way too much double standard.

HERE IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE
Dunbar and 4A Mervo who beat Dunbar last season are still open week 5. They refused to play FH when FH agreed to travel. It's that simple. If FH refused those deals it's bash away. Double standards.

FH literally asked Middletown for a game after realizing Dunbar was out. How you can twist that into FH not wanting the game is a wishful myth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
I think everyone can agree that it is extremely difficult to put together a schedule without the benefit of league games. I think where people run into problems is with the insinuation from some people that fear from teams around the state is the biggest factor preventing things from happening when that most likely isn't the case at all.

It would be foolish for me to say that Fort Hill is afraid of 1A Cambridge-South Dorchester because they balked at playing down there in week 7 or 8 when they were approached about it last fall. It would also be absurd to insinuate the opposite because C-SD balked at coming to Cumberland because they needed a home game this year. There are a ton of factors as to why things don't come together that don't have to do with fear, including timing. Keeping with this example from the FH side it would be absurd to commit to that far of an away game a full year in advance before you know what else might be available and from C-SD's perspective if you need a home game, why give that up immediately especially when you wind up being able to fill that date pretty quickly with a top team from Delaware. Now if the same offer were made from C-SD this week there probably isn't much that would stop FH from biting the bullet and making that trip because the timing and opportunities are different.

At the end of the day everybody in the state when it comes to scheduling is trying to do the best they can for their students, themselves and their school community in whatever way they can that may or may not include trying to get the absolute easiest schedule out there. It just happens that the vast majority of schedule makers and coaches have a large number of options so when they get an offer to go 2-3 hours away on a Friday night there isn't a bunch of incentive irregardless of paying for travel. I can be tempted to say that maybe away games should be offered more readily by FH but giving up home games consistently wouldn't in any way be in that programs best interest. So there are factors at play from all sides that in my view don't center on the idea of fear.

This is no different than the scheduling myths you attempt to create about Cumberland schools. PG County schools dont want to play FH period. Has nothing to do with being afraid of competition. Has to do with money and travel and games being available nearby. That pretty much applies to every MD school. So when we tell you few teams wants to play FH I have no idea why that is a falacy. Its extremely true. When we tell you FH doesn't want to make bad budget deals to play teams like in the I-95 Classic that's not ok, but it is ok for other schools. Sorry dude, you wear your dislike of FH on the sleeve. Whats ok for others isn't ok in Cumberland. Way too much double standard.

HERE IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE
Dunbar and 4A Mervo who beat Dunbar last season are still open week 5. They refused to play FH when FH agreed to travel. It's that simple. If FH refused those deals it's bash away. Double standards.

FH literally asked Middletown for a game after realizing Dunbar was out. How you can twist that into FH not wanting the game is a wishful myth.

I've never created any myth about Cumberland schools. I pointed out facts. I gave you the poll: http://www.mdprepfootball.com/?p=11313 and I pointed out that FH hasn't played any of these teams (with the exception to the playoff losses to Dunbar) in almost 10 years. If they have, please let me know. When you guys said Martinsburg won't play you, I referred you to this link: http://articles.herald-mail.com/2006-10-21/news/25060214_1_fort-hill-drew-yurko-sentinels that shows it was FH's decision to end the series. You guys keep repeating the story that you can't get games. I brought up the I-95 Classic because one of the organizers told me directly FH turned down the offer for a game, it wasn't some rumor on a message board. If your excuse is it's not financially feasible to make that game, how was Alco able to travel to Calvert and play an away game? How was Alco able to travel to St. Charles and play an away game? Does Alco have some kind of magic travel coordinator? I've explained to you numerous times, I support both city teams, but yes as a journalist, I am critical at times, especially when some of the things I hear don't make sense. I've also explained numerous times, I don't have a problem with the schedule. If you're winning state titles every year why change the formula? Just be honest about it.

In terms of your "perfect" example, I've never heard the story that way. It was stated on this board, and was not denied by any FH supporters, that 2A Middletown offered FH a game and FH waited 3 or 4 days to respond and by the time they finally responded, Middletown had already found another team. I don't know exactly know what happened, but this is the first time I'm hearing heard your sequence of events. Where are you getting this stuff from?

PG County won't play FH. You are admitting this. Its this way in most every MD County. I can't make it any more basic. Hence, FH cannot find games.

FH doesn't want in the I-95 Classic when FH has to pay for it. Any more than Bowie wants to travel to Cumberland. This even when FH pays for their travel expense. Excuses, excuses.

Calvert paid for Alco to travel. Find a team within reasonable distance to pay for FH to travel and it's a game.

Alco doesn't want to play Martinsburg nor does Keyser or anyone else. No one here or anywhere has ever said Martinsburg won't play FH. Nor has anyone argued about that silly Top 25 poll and who FH has or hasn't played in it.

If you want to continue pushing the double standards at least get the facts correct.

Alco said no to Middletown from the start. Then Dunbar came along. Ask Middletown or any coach as I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
I've heard that FH offered Bowie a two year deal. They would pay for Bowie to come here in full and then return the game for free. The answer was no. Interesting. If you can't get a 4A school under those terms you know hard hard it must be to get games. Mervo and Dunbar still digging for games. Don't want FH though.

I've heard that FH offered Bowie a two year deal. They would pay for Bowie to come here in full and then return the game for free. The answer was no. Interesting. If you can't get a 4A school under those terms you know hard hard it must be to get games. Mervo and Dunbar still digging for games. Don't want FH though.

Sir, you are operating in your own fantasy world, lol. Have you not been reading where Todd H has said several times that Bowie has not responded to him? Where are you getting your info from? Read on this same thread where Ultrawalt just said Bowie has scheduled Broadneck for week 1. If you aren't familiar with Broadneck they are one of the top 4A football programs in the state. So according to your logic, Bowie is afraid to play FH but they will play Broadneck?

Go back to the beginning of this thread where it's plainly stated Middletown approached FH for a game and FH didn't get back to them for 4 or 5 days. Why wasn't the answer yes from the very beginning if FH really wanted to play them, and FH is having so much trouble finding games? If FH doesn't want to play 2A Middletown why would you even bring up any 4A PG schools? Please come back to reality or state where you are getting your information from. We can't even have a conversation if you're just making stuff up.

Reactions: bigsavage
FH coaches wanted absolutely NO part in playing Middletown!!! You don't cry and whine about not finding area games and then drag your feet for almost a week when an area team offers you a game... What in the hell are they waiting on Dunbar and Mervo for when they are an hour past Middletown and two excuses FH used for refusing to play quality opponents are travel time and expenses??? FH should have said yes before the offer left Middletown's lips... FH's principle should have been on Middletown's steps 90 mins later with a signed contract in hand and a bouquet of flowers... Calling Middletown back a week later after you knew they filled that slot was only to save face... New year, new set of excuses, same outcome with FH ducking and dodging games and then crying about no one wanting to play them... Smh

Last edited:
I've seen Broadneck play quite a few times years ago completely different than 1A. They kept 50 players on the team, cut the rest and most all of them are solid players.

Sir, you are operating in your own fantasy world, lol. Have you not been reading where Todd H has said several times that Bowie has not responded to him? Where are you getting your info from? Read on this same thread where Ultrawalt just said Bowie has scheduled Broadneck for week 1. If you aren't familiar with Broadneck they are one of the top 4A football programs in the state. So according to your logic, Bowie is afraid to play FH but they will play Broadneck?

Go back to the beginning of this thread where it's plainly stated Middletown approached FH for a game and FH didn't get back to them for 4 or 5 days. Why wasn't the answer yes from the very beginning if FH really wanted to play them, and FH is having so much trouble finding games? If FH doesn't want to play 2A Middletown why would you even bring up any 4A PG schools? Please come back to reality or state where you are getting your information from. We can't even have a conversation if you're just making stuff up.
How does FH trying to get a game with Dunbar and waiting 4-5 days to make it happen, then reach out to Middletown to find out they are full translate into "clearly" not wanting to play? Are you that f'ing stupid. If that is the case Bowie waited weeks to find someone else. More typical FH double standard. Yes, everybody waits for a commitment when an offer is on the table. When FH does it you bash them. Everyone can see through your BS. It's funny how Bowie didn't respond to FH but did to Broadneck. Amazing stuff. When the schedule maker himself comes here and asks about Bowie and Flowers advertising for week 1 but won't respond how do you come up FH doesn't want a 4A PG school? Amazing. Your making things up even when told otherwise.

Dunbar and Mervo is open Week 5. FH will travel there. The answer is no. Get it?

Wheeling Park is open week 5. FH will travel there. The answer is no. Get it?

Boys Latin is open week 7. FH will travel there. The answer is no. Get it?

Boonsboro is open week 8. FH will travel there. The answer is no. Get it?

When people in charge tell you teams don't want to play the 4 time reigning champ read those last 4 paragraphs again out loud.

Last edited:
Flowers looks like they have picked up a week 1 game but I don't have any specifics on when they figured that out or why there isn't much response. It's important to note in some of these cases with responses that there are no full time ADs in PG county and these people double as classroom teachers (and not all in the PE department) so while I might not agree with not returning correspondence one way or another it's understandable that things get left unchecked when you consider the myriad daily responsibilities of the job when you're only getting a extra planning period to get things done in and you don't have the luxury FH has of someone stepping up to help with scheduling.

Complicating matters from the PG county perspective is that with the new classifications and regions there will not be a PG County 4A or 3A/2A/1A league in large part due to the increase in 1A schools.

So the 8 2A/1A (5 1A and 3 2A)schools were split and the two 3A schools (Potomac and Oxon Hill) were split and finally the 11 4A schools were split as well and each team is getting 7 or 8 games from their division and are going to schedule the rest in whatever way they see fit.

From what I've seen the groupings are one side with Douglass(1A),Largo(1A),Friendly(1A),Gwynn Park(2A),Suitland(4A),Flowers(4A),Bladensburg(4A)Northwestern(4A),Parkdale(4A),Potomac(3A),and Duval (4A)and on the other side Wise(4A),Roosevelt(4A),High Point(4A),Laurel(4A),Bowie(4A),Oxon Hill(3A),Crossland(2A),Central(2A),Fairmont Heights(1A) and Surrattsville (1A).

So if you're going to assume Flowers is afraid this effects Flowers because now they already have the 3 best PG 1A schools on their schedule (Douglass,Friendly and Largo) in addition to 2A Gwynn Park so figuring out a workable schedule got a lot more difficult even though their playoff region is still exclusively PG county teams. It looks like the trend there at least in the first year of this setup (if there is one) is to pick up larger schools or create matchups with neighboring leagues like the SMAC or Anne Arundel county for example the other marquee 1A game of week one looks like it's going to be Douglass playing Lackey.

PG schools not playing FH has nothing to do with fear. FH not playing PG schools has nothing to do with fear.

So when folks come to a Western MD football board to say FH will never play the good schools from places like PG County we all know FH has no control over this. FH asks, they get no or no response. Nobody wants to or can play FH. We've all said this.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT