ADVERTISEMENT

The game must go on after the bench emptied.

Lagmeister

Hall of Fame Poster
Nov 2, 2007
It's because this isn't about the law (as they say) or the letter of the law. This is about making an example out of a few of players so the games can go on. Homecoming must be preserved. The tradition held by the adults must go on.

So, we pick three young men and stand them up to the firing squad - you know, like they used to do in the old French army when the front lines ran in retreat - examples must be made and lessons learned for the good of... Well, what the hell is the lesson?

I'll tell you what the lesson is: these young men don't matter. The system is a joke. The tradition is a joke. How many more things about Cumberland are we going to pretend exist when all that really exists are puffed up adult egos.

Reactions: wing_left
So its your contention that these officials picked three random players as an example and were actually thinking about the homecoming game a week away when doing so??

These young men don't matter? System is a joke? So ejecting a player for breaking a rule means the player doesn't matter and the system is a joke?

wow, just wow.

So its your contention that these officials picked three random players as an example and were actually thinking about the homecoming game a week away when doing so??

These young men don't matter? System is a joke? So ejecting a player for breaking a rule means the player doesn't matter and the system is a joke?

wow, just wow.

Wow to you too. Interesting what you are wowed about - not the Southern coach who caused it nor the fact the refs are not really enforcing the rule. Sure, we keep reading about the rule being the rule... then, we read that... well, we don't actually enforce the rule we just make a spontaneous call based on how we feel about this or that.

"So ejecting a player for breaking a rule"

Don't state the rule and then eject 3 as an example. And you can be damned sure that the refs knew that ejecting all who went on the field would cause a forfeit to the next game. Don't bullshit me. Yes the system is a joke.

So it's your opinion that the Alco players only left their sideline when the Southern coach intervened in the scuffle?

That is classic.

So it's your opinion that the Alco players only left their sideline when the Southern coach intervened in the scuffle?

That is classic.

Ugh, here is my opinion:

"Don't state the rule and then eject 3 as an example. And you can be damned sure that the refs knew that ejecting all who went on the field would cause a forfeit to the next game. Don't bullshit me. Yes the system is a joke."

Then eject everyone that left the bench and let it be a forfeit on Allegany’s part. If the rule states so then do so.

This is a mess, nobody was EJECTED by the Officials. Paul Mullin on the Radio also said they could get a court to get a court injunction and they are correct, it happens in WV all the time, hopefully someone stands up for these kids, they said they were ejected for leaving the sideline, BOTH TEAMS ENTIRE ROSTERS left the bench area except for the players on the field. If The Allegany Coach cared about his kids they would just not play the game this week he would announce that too many of his players broke a rule and they wouldn't have enough players Saturday so they would forfeit the game and move onto the playoffs, this is more about grownups making 3 kids pay the price for something just so someone can be punished and take the blame in this so that a football game can be played. This is the same reason we are building a School up on the mountain that isn't needed so that a Football Game with Tradition can be played for another 3-4 years before Consolidation happens. SMH

Watch The Video, Nobody Was Ejected....

Reactions: Lagmeister
How can 3 players be ejected for leaving the bench area when everybody (Allegany) left the bench area? The only players who didn't leave the bench was the 11 players already on the field.

This is not just an Allegany issue. Southern has blame in this also. What would Southern have done if #109 (SG) & #758 Alleagny) (just making up numbers) are "tussling "on Allegany's sideline? How would Southern's bench reacted?

I'll ask again, how did #50 (SG) and #72 (Allegany) not get ejected?

I think something else had this situation brewing prior to the game. Go back 1 week. Allegany at Northern. WCBC reports that Southern had either said something to an Allegany player or posted something on social media. Maybe the gasoline had already been poured and it took till Friday for the match to be thrown.

I also agree, but EVERYBODY knows NOTHING will happen because of what's coming up Saturday. I agree with Bigdawg, the hell with what is right, as long as there is a homecoming game.

How can 3 players be ejected for leaving the bench area when everybody (Allegany) left the bench area? The only players who didn't leave the bench was the 11 players already on the field.

This is not just an Allegany issue. Southern has blame in this also. What would Southern have done if #109 (SG) & #758 Alleagny) (just making up numbers) are "tussling "on Allegany's sideline? How would Southern's bench reacted?

I think something else had this situation brewing prior to the game. Go back 1 week. Allegany at Northern. WCBC reports that Southern had either said something to an Allegany player or posted something on social media. Maybe the gasoline had already been poured and it took till Friday for the match to be thrown.

Excellent recap.

Then eject everyone that left the bench and let it be a forfeit on Allegany’s part. If the rule states so then do so.
correct they could look at the video and eject 80% of the players for both teams, Southern and Allegany would both be without a bunch of players this coming week, instead they are gonna put it all on 3 players from one team that really had nothing to do with the whole thing other than they did what 40-50 other players from both teams did.

The issue for me is two fold. First of all, players getting into a scuffle is not necessarily an ejectable offense. Personal fouls happen all the time over scuffles, no ejections.

Secondly, If the rule states that leaving the bench is an ejectable offense, then it needs to be upheld in it's entirety (for any player on either team) or dismissed out of necessity because you can't (really) eject an entire team. I don't think that is the spirit of the rule.

If I missed the actual verbiage of the rule posted somewhere, I apologize. But is it stated clearly that any player leaving the bench is ejected, or if any player leaves the bench to engage in behavior resulting in a personal foul is ejected?

Anyway, water under the bridge. There's a game for us all to think about Saturday.

I don't see this as a Brawl, it happens in a lot of football games at all levels.
The Officials were horrible in this game and left it get out of hand up to this point, there was a lot of extra curricular activity on almost every play leading up to this situation, after that there was still late hits and stuff happening and they never got any of it under control. Holler the Head Official never signaled that anyone was Ejected but afterwards says there is 3 players Ejected? Really.... let's go pick 3 kids out and put blame on them.
Now Nobody is standing up for these 3 kids because hey the game goes on Saturday as planned... screw those kids that's their problem.... we want the money and the pageantry SMH
Whats right to do in this situation is look at the video...
See if anyone was ejected and if not move on to next week, if 3 kids were picked out after the fact then that's wrong and the Coaches of both Allegany and Southern should watch the film with the Official and determine that everyone that left the bench area would be punished.
Cumberland Politics over a Football game is the shame in all of this and the people that allow it to happen time after time should be ashamed

This is a mess, nobody was EJECTED by the Officials. Paul Mullin on the Radio also said they could get a court to get a court injunction and they are correct, it happens in WV all the time, hopefully someone stands up for these kids, they said they were ejected for leaving the sideline, BOTH TEAMS ENTIRE ROSTERS left the bench area except for the players on the field. If The Allegany Coach cared about his kids they would just not play the game this week he would announce that too many of his players broke a rule and they wouldn't have enough players Saturday so they would forfeit the game and move onto the playoffs, this is more about grownups making 3 kids pay the price for something just so someone can be punished and take the blame in this so that a football game can be played. This is the same reason we are building a School up on the mountain that isn't needed so that a Football Game with Tradition can be played for another 3-4 years before Consolidation happens. SMH

Watch The Video, Nobody Was Ejected....

This is exactly what I posted about on Friday. The worst lesson you give young men is that people they come to believe in would sacrifice them for a mere game.

As the head of a program that involved young folks 9 - 18, I can say that trust and values are the most important things. Even now, many years later I have the now- grown-up men come up to me and shake my hand, introduce me to their wives and children and share memories. You just can't buy that at any price.

I would never allow any of them to be a sacrificial lamb for some bullshit call on the field.

The issue for me is two fold. First of all, players getting into a scuffle is not necessarily an ejectable offense. Personal fouls happen all the time over scuffles, no ejections.

Secondly, If the rule states that leaving the bench is an ejectable offense, then it needs to be upheld in it's entirety (for any player on either team) or dismissed out of necessity because you can't (really) eject an entire team. I don't think that is the spirit of the rule.

If I missed the actual verbiage of the rule posted somewhere, I apologize. But is it stated clearly that any player leaving the bench is ejected, or if any player leaves the bench to engage in behavior resulting in a personal foul is ejected?

Anyway, water under the bridge. There's a game for us all to think about Saturday.

Not to be offensive, but it's great for thee but not for me and not for the kids on the other side of town who are getting screwed.

Not to be offensive, but it's great for thee but not for me and not for the kids on the other side of town who are getting screwed.

Has there been an official explanation of why those players were ejected?

I don't see this as a Brawl, it happens in a lot of football games at all levels.
The Officials were horrible in this game and left it get out of hand up to this point, there was a lot of extra curricular activity on almost every play leading up to this situation, after that there was still late hits and stuff happening and they never got any of it under control. Holler the Head Official never signaled that anyone was Ejected but afterwards says there is 3 players Ejected? Really.... let's go pick 3 kids out and put blame on them.
Now Nobody is standing up for these 3 kids because hey the game goes on Saturday as planned... screw those kids that's their problem.... we want the money and the pageantry SMH
Whats right to do in this situation is look at the video...
See if anyone was ejected and if not move on to next week, if 3 kids were picked out after the fact then that's wrong and the Coaches of both Allegany and Southern should watch the film with the Official and determine that everyone that left the bench area would be punished.
Cumberland Politics over a Football game is the shame in all of this and the people that allow it to happen time after time should be ashamed

Best post on this so far. You said it better than I have been struggling to say. Yes, the businesses that pay for the commercials, the beer and pizza businesses and the gate revenue - just to mention a few.

Well, once I'm done making a few more posts about this, I'm done for the year.

Has there been an official explanation of why those players were ejected?

Honestly, because it's about students I think nothing formal is forthcoming. Whatever we find out will be after the fact unless the parents of the three young men decide to come forward... which I hope they do.

First of all I don't think any player should be suspended. Nothing egregious happened in my opinion.

Second, the officiating is the answer to many of the questions above. Bigdawg stating no one was ejected by the officials. There were obviously ejections. It just wasn't signaled by the white cap. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he told both coaches about the ejections during the meeting at midfield. WCBC reported it DURING the game.

Why wasn't the entire team ejected/suspended? Once again the answer is the officials. They singled out 3 kids out of the nearly 15 blue jerseys that came off of the sidelines onto the field. Holler probably just picked 3 random kids standing near him. Where was the side judge on the Alco sideline? Any competent officiating crew and this whole mess is much different in either direction. I for one don't think it goes as far as it did with better officials having more control.

You can't have incompetent officials doing these games. I put a majority of the blame on them.

I agree 100% money from what I understand some talk was exchanged on other forms of social media , I also agree with bigdawg and Lagz

It’s sad that 3 kids just randomly get picked basically to take the fall for others ,you discipline all kids that left the sideline or none .

What's sarcastically funny is that the head official is Holler. This guy was blackballed by Mike Calhoun when he coached at FH from ever officiating another FH game. It got do bad that several FH players vandalized Hollers home about 20 years ago.

We don't know what those players said or did during the scuffle. We we're told when it happened the ref wrote down 3 players numbers but why? What did the officials talk about for 15 minutes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT