ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Red Machine

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Big Red Machine - that is the term that comes to mind this evening after the 56-0 shut out Fort Hill put on Mountain Ridge. It could have been 84-0. It was machine-like with crazy precision. I have to tip my hat to this FH coaching staff. I like to play armchair QB all the time and many times question X's and O's with any game I may be watching, but I'm in awe tonight at the job the coaches have done with these kids. And it is seemingly every year that this team gets better each week. This current team is miles ahead of where they were through the first three weeks of September. For anyone that doesn't understand what the team keeps preaching about when they talk about preparation, hard work and dedication...well, try driving by the front of the school oval sometime on a Saturday in July at 12 midnight and there is a good chance Coach Appel will have his truck still parked there. He doesn't need a listening device in helmets to tell his players what play the opponent is running before the snap. They know because he prepared them to know it. One of the greatest coaching lines I have ever heard was a preseason August quote in the Times-News Preview about 4 years ago when FH had lost a ton of seniors and were dealing with all new faces. Coach Appel said, "We don't rebuild, we practice." It rings so true. FH had to replace the entire OL this season. Yes, the entire OL from TE to the other tackle spot. Tonight they were smashing huge holes in the Miner defense all evening. Some credit to the OL this week - they deserve it.

The Miners have been winning games, but as I mentioned on the WCBC Thursday football show I had to see how their defense stacks up. They were giving up 25 points a game, 54 points in the previous two outings and over 500 yards given up in a win over Spring Mills last week. I thought if FH could minimize their penalties and fumbles they had a chance to put up some big scoreboard numbers. Well, they did and the scoreboard went ballistic.

This defense though is lights out, has been all year. It's extremely quick across the board. Let me say this about the big gun Sefa for Mtn Ridge...he had nowhere to run tonight. No daylight period. I don't know him and would never belittle his accomplishments. But I will say that if he is a Division I college player, then FH has about 2-3 kids that are D1 players. But this recruiting business is many times about who you are and who you know. I hope to see Sefa on TV some Saturday down the road, so this is no knock on him in the least. But even he would probably agree FH has some top tier talent of their own on the defensive side.

I have seen a ton of FH games in my lifetime. Tonight was one of the most dominating performances I have ever seen. Offense, defense, special teams. No punts, every possession a TD. No first downs for Mtn Ridge (until the last series). Interceptions, Pick Six, fumbles created, punt returns for touchdowns (called back time and time again), etc. Just a complete domination from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. FH will be a tough out for any team down the road.

Great post. FH definitely played a very well put together game. They needed that. It was fun to watch.

Few telling stats:

Fort Hill led in total offense 403-39 and in first downs 19-1.

#8 for MR is averaging 214 yards per game,and finished with 3 yards on 13 carries.

Reactions: Red White and True
Yes, great post. This performance, while I expected it to some degree, still surprised me.

FH's #8 needs to be involved more in the offense. It's a tremendous waste of talent not to use him more. And #72 for FH is a monster. Don't get me wrong, the FH coaching was brilliant. Just inject #26 into the wildcat and #8 any way possible. He's a play-maker.

Reactions: Red White and True
Yes, great post. This performance, while I expected it to some degree, still surprised me.

FH's #8 needs to be involved more in the offense. It's a tremendous waste of talent not to use him more. And #72 for FH is a monster. Don't get me wrong, the FH coaching was brilliant. Just inject #26 into the wildcat and #8 any way possible. He's a play-maker.
8 gets overlooked for some curious reason, if 8 and 26 touched the ball on every play can you imagine!

Reactions: 4R341
Sefa is the real deal !!!! Just because he was shut down does not make him any less of a player. When there are 4-5 defenders standing 2 ft from him when he received the handoff, that was not Sefa's fault.

Just because Ty Johnson had 5 yards on 3 carries against Iowa, does that make him less of a runner ?

Sefa is the real deal !!!! Just because he was shut down does not make him any less of a player. When there are 4-5 defenders standing 2 ft from him when he received the handoff, that was not Sefa's fault.

Just because Ty Johnson had 5 yards on 3 carries against Iowa, does that make him less of a runner ?
Could you imagine him with FH's OL? Unstoppable.

The only teams Southern played this year worth mentioning were losses.
Oh yes, you mean the 1 and 2 ranked west teams that they lost by a combined eight points.. I get it, a loss is a loss, but at the beginning of the season everyone was praising them for stepping up their schedule and playing FH and now suddenly it is suspect. They can't help that Smithsburg, Northern and ALCO are having down years. It's not like they went out and scheduled out of their region or area with some crappy academy school.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Oh yes, you mean the 1 and 2 ranked west teams that they lost by a combined eight points.. I get it, a loss is a loss, but at the beginning of the season everyone was praising them for stepping up their schedule and playing FH and now suddenly it is suspect. They can't help that Smithsburg, Northern and ALCO are having down years. It's not like they went out and scheduled out of their region or area with some crappy academy school.
The only reason they wernt playing some “crappy academy school” is because the crappy region teams still play them.

I was one of the first to praise them. Until - they decided to pull some cockamamie bull story that somehow FH was using helmet mics. Lose gracefully. Or, at least use bad ref calls or something legitimate to complain. Good grief!

I was one of the first to praise them. Until - they decided to pull some cockamamie bull story that somehow FH was using helmet mics. Lose gracefully. Or, at least use bad ref calls or something legitimate to complain. Good grief!

EXACTLY. The fact someone might even insinuate there could be devices in helmets again says it all. Oakland idiots.

The only reason they wernt playing some “crappy academy school” is because the crappy region teams still play them.
So you admit FH schedules crappy teams on purpose, because - it's not fair that everyone else does! For all the saying how good fh is, you cry faster than Candy Appel whenever they have to play someone tough.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
EXACTLY. The fact someone might even insinuate there could be devices in helmets again says it all. Oakland idiots.
Sure. They are idiots. Just like the Cumberland kook who insinuated that the crown of the field was anti-fort hill. Or the turd that thinks Southern didn't fix a deck on purpose. They are just as laughable.

So you admit FH schedules crappy teams on purpose, because - it's not fair that everyone else does! For all the saying how good fh is, you cry faster than Candy Appel whenever they have to play someone tough.
Yeah FH schedules academy teams on purpose but acting like southern playing northern or smithsburg is different from playing silver oak is funny to me

Yeah FH schedules academy teams on purpose but acting like southern playing northern or smithsburg is different from playing silver oak is funny to me
Yeah, FH fans constantly say how good FH is and how much better they are than everyone else, but thinking its unfair that they play better teams is why they cant ever be taken serious.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Where are the posts saying how good FH is and that they're better than everyone else? Other than in your twisted head.
Seriously? Every post in the Wow! thread. Every post about Southern after the cheating scandle. Every post in the 4th quarter and MR doesn't have a first down. A good chunk of your posts.

How does your conscience allow you to ignore obvious facts just because they make you look bad?

Edit: did you even read the title of the thread you are in, doofus?

Last edited:
Are you even being serious in this post? Southern schedules Northern because they are county RIVALS...Smithsburg while not a historic matchup is a REGIONAL game. Same goes with Clear Spring and Catoctin. The rest are nearby schools that Southern can commute to on a school bus. Unfortunately they do not have the resources or boosters that Big Red Machine has to pay teams to come play or travel via Charter.
I never mentioned FH's schedule because frankly it's none of my business or concern who they play each year. What they are doing seems to be working over the years. But please stop viewing everything through your Red colored glasses. The arrogance is sometimes astounding.

Reactions: OneRing
Do you not have access to a computer or dictionary? I figured it was just logic and common sense that weren't available to you.

C'mon, you've got more sense than that. What was your intent in using that word? Anyone can look up a definition, but only you can explain why you used that word.

What is 'troubling" about the obsession? A simple question you should easily be able to answer....if you're willing to.

C'mon, you've got more sense than that. What was your intent in using that word? Anyone can look up a definition, but only you can explain why you used that word.

What is 'troubling" about the obsession? A simple question you should easily be able to answer....if you're willing to.
It's a really easy word to know the definition to. It can be looked up extremely easily. I'm not sure why you think being ignorant is an excuse, or how playing dumb makes you look smart, but by all means... go on. No one plays dumb like you.

It's a really easy word to know the definition to. It can be looked up extremely easily. I'm not sure why you think being ignorant is an excuse, or how playing dumb makes you look smart, but by all means... go on. No one plays dumb like you.

Unable to meet a simple challenge. What is 'troubling" about the obsession?

We want to hear your opinion - you used the phrase. Threw it out there for us to digest / ponder / analyze. What's the answer?

Unable to meet a simple challenge. What is 'troubling" about the obsession?

We want to hear your opinion - you used the phrase. Threw it out there for us to digest / ponder / analyze. What's the answer?
Simple words continue to escape you. Since you can't figure out what the word 'troubling' means, ill tell you it means the same thing as the WOW used earlier in the thread.

Care to explain why you didn't ask Money316 to explain what he meant by WOW, or should I just chalk it up to your bias?

Simple words continue to escape you. Since you can't figure out what the word 'troubling' means, ill tell you it means the same thing as the WOW used earlier in the thread.

Care to explain why you didn't ask Money316 to explain what he meant by WOW, or should I just chalk it up to your bias?

Lobbing smoke grenades and popping off star clusters as distraction will not divert our attention to your unwillingness to put your comment into context by answering "What is 'troubling' about the obsession?" What bothers you so much about FH that you would write that, but now it's time to pay the Piper.

Of note, it is Homecoming Week.....I thought obsessions were to be celebrated. Serve us up an answer and put this to bed.

Lobbing smoke grenades and popping off star clusters as distraction will not divert our attention to your unwillingness to put your comment into context by answering "What is 'troubling' about the obsession?" What bothers you so much about FH that you would write that, but now it's time to pay the Piper.

Of note, it is Homecoming Week.....I thought obsessions were to be celebrated. Serve us up an answer and put this to bed.
I wasnt really expecting one easy question to be considered lobbing smoke grenades, but then I remembered who I was talking to and it made perfect sense.

I guess your bias was really the answer though, like I said it was. Your long diatribe confirmed that.

And dont you see how you prove my point when it's so 'troubling' to you that someone questions your obsession? Continuing posting and proving how right I am about your troubling obsession.

Also, please point out where anyone said we should celebrate obsessions? Its troubling that you think that way.

Elite defense and special teams can carry a team pretty far. Just cant have the miscues that plagued the offense early on.

Reactions: AllRed95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT