ADVERTISEMENT

So does northern stand a chance friday????

I'm willing to bet at least 10% of the crowd was FH fans that wanted to see what Blue had to offer... I'm a fan of FH, but I love the days when this city had two power houses... Gave everyone in the city something to cheer about in the states. Now it just up to FH to get Cumberland recognition. Just helps support the out of towners that say FH and Alco should combine. Allegany needs to get their crap together before the city competition becomes obsolete.

FORT HILL HAS ONE ONE PLAYER AND ARE THE GREATEST THING EVER. Without Ty, FH would easy have 3 losses now. Allegany tried a lot of new stuff against Northern and had many players moved to different positions. Did you notice 31 had some great hands dont know if any area team has a DB big enough to cover 31

Wouldn't call it a crowd kind of like a group...

We have johnson and you don't so get over it

But we have alot of other wepons...far more that we need to beat alco for the 53rd and 54th time....

I'm hearing fort hill fans buying tickets at alco again this year...since they won't need them...

Originally posted by cumbfanatic:
FORT HILL HAS ONE ONE PLAYER AND ARE THE GREATEST THING EVER. Without Ty, FH would easy have 3 losses now. Allegany tried a lot of new stuff against Northern and had many players moved to different positions. Did you notice 31 had some great hands dont know if any area team has a DB big enough to cover 31
I agree without TY this is an average team...

FH no good without him, just your avg 1a team who would rank in the top 2 in 2a. You're killing' me, Smalls. You're killing' me.

I bet you wish you had him.

Didn't you hear? Alco beat the Green Bay Packers last night. Just listen to the posters and supporters.

No we aren't "obsessed with Alcos croud".... I'm just sure that Alco's boys would appreciate some support. There was no energy. CUMBERLAND needs that energy ITS FRICKEN TRADITION!!!! FH loves tradition... What the heck don't you understand about that???

There's nothing better than 2 undefeated power houses going against each other in homecoming to decide who's going for states this year. A packed stadium, city painted red and blue, and pure love for our traditions. I'm not Alco fan, but a great Homecoming game makes for a great season! Ty is a great player, but it's tradition for FH backs to avg over 15 yards per carry. Where are the traditions, and teams from Alco that made the other half of the city so great?

This post was edited on 10/25 11:52 PM by GenSneaky

So what's Allegany's excuse, then? Alco's #31 is a damn good football player. In spite of that, this "average" FH team is going to spank Alco. And the last game, Ty had only 8 carries. It takes a solid, good team to win games.

Nothing but sour grapes from some of these Alco fans...

It is that time of year when alco fans start talking about the past....

We got ate........

The 09 playoff win.....

Etc....

Originally posted by real world:
It is that time of year when alco fans start talking about the past....

We got ate........

The 09 playoff win.....

Etc....

A little early for that. But if you believe in karma, I would thank the football gods for the once in a generation talent that FH is enjoying in 1A right now. Basis school size, Big Red is only one graduating class away from a loss to a good passing team in the early rounds of the playoffs.

It is very tempting to think that FH is the only good team - brought on by coaching and tradition - while everybody else merely sucks. After all, a good Alco performance the other night bored the FH faithful to sleep. They yawned their way through one of the best quarterback game performances Greenway has seen in a while, accomplished by Carter Imes.

I have seen it too many times that a lack of gratitude has a way of biting one in the karma butt.

Whoooooo.......wowwwwwwwww.......you were playing northern paw paw could pass aganist northern.....

Whoooooo.......wowwwwwwwww.......you were playing northern paw paw could pass aganist northern.....
Let me flip a coin. Are you stupid or just ignorant.

Stupid I WAS NOT BORN WITH A FULLY FUNCTIONAL BRAIN (WATER BOY)

Now lag which one are you they both fit you well...

Stupid I WAS NOT BORN WITH A FULLY FUNCTIONAL BRAIN (WATER BOY)

Now lag which one are you they both fit you well...
Here is your projection about the quality of Northern and how they would fair against Allegany:

"Northern won big aganist a good team....look for them to win out and take the 4th play off spot..." -real world.

So, in reality you don't have any football opinions worth a damn on anything. You're just a mixer with familiar misspellings and emoticons. I think the young man, Imes, deserves some praise in this forum which otherwise would go ignored. If Shives would have tossed 10 perfect darts like that, he would have gotten quite a few complements posted. But it is one thing to ignore the Alco quarterback's effort it's another to punk it.

Anyone that thinks after this year FH won't amount to anything is obviously not paying attention to the JV, and Freashman squads. The 9th, and 10th graders are also undefeated. They are doing this without the help of their best players (who are moved up to varsity). What happens when they reunite in the years to come... Dejuvu happens!

Something that I have never seen before was all 3 teams undefeated. . I was a freshman in 95, and we only won 3 games. After that we (class of 99) went undefeated all the way to our senior year. Winning states in 97, and losing the state in 98.

Players in the FH program only get more and more conditioned as they continue the program. So to think we are near the end of FH dominance is just plain absurd.

This post was edited on 10/26 9:28 PM by GenSneaky

This post was edited on 10/26 9:33 PM by GenSneaky

Originally posted by GenSneaky:
Anyone that thinks after this year FH won't amount to anything is obviously not paying attention to the JV, and Freashman squads. The 9th, and 10th graders are also undefeated. They are doing this without the help of their best players (who are moved up to varsity). What happens when they reunite in the years to come... Dejuvu happens!

Something that I have never seen before was all 3 teams undefeated. . I was a freshman in 95, and we only won 3 games. After that we (class of 99) went undefeated all the way to our senior year. Winning states in 97, and losing the state in 98.

Players in the FH program only get more and more conditioned as they continue the program. So to think we are near the end of FH dominance is just plain absurd.

If you think that FH is going to continuously have the level of talent it has now in varsity... then bless you. I hope there is a Johnson and Barnes ready to step in. Though, something tells me we would already be talking about them on the big team. As you know, my comment was about appreciating the talent FH has now which I believe does not come along very often.

So, if you think that FH is going to run a string of championships by dominating 1A... then bless you again. I would love to see a Cumberland school make a run like that. But personally, I believe smugness runs afoul of karma. It also leads to a mindset of diminishing others success rather than fully appreciating your own.

Originally posted by GenSneaky:

I agree with the General.
This post was edited on 10/26 10:15 PM by PolkHighPride

Having 3 soph (Brown, Smith, Sibley) and a freshmen (Poling and likely a 2nd frosh if not for injury) starting or contributing on the varsity team and the 2 younger teams sitting undefeated with 2 games left is pretty impressive in my world. Think that's what GenSneaky was saying. It resembles the way Johnson, Barnes and the Shives came up 2 years ago on the big team. I'm not sure the current varsity team had the success in middle school that the squads in 9th-10th grade had. Who knows how it will all play out but Appel has some great talent coming up through from 8th-9th-10th grades.

Originally posted by towpath94:
Having 3 soph (Brown, Smith, Sibley) and a freshmen (Poling and likely a 2nd frosh if not for injury) starting or contributing on the varsity team and the 2 younger teams sitting undefeated with 2 games left is pretty impressive in my world. Think that's what GenSneaky was saying. It resembles the way Johnson, Barnes and the Shives came up 2 years ago on the big team. I'm not sure the current varsity team had the success in middle school that the squads in 9th-10th grade had. Who knows how it will all play out but Appel has some great talent coming up through from 8th-9th-10th grades.
Hey! You have 4.3 guy sitting on the bench? - Okay. You have a real head banger like Barnes likewise sitting on the bench? You even have a similar line ready to go? - Okay. But understand, nobody suggested that FH would not "amount to anything."

Interesting what happens in this forum the minute somebody wants some credit for Allegany while suggesting you might have a couple of special teams as a result of some special talent that doesn't come along that often.

But okay. Nothing wrong with being a fan. And, nothing wrong with pointing out that you might look at these couple years as something special, especially since you can't coach speed.

Originally posted by Lagmeister:
Hey! You have 4.3 guy sitting on the bench? - Okay. You have a real head banger like Barnes likewise sitting on the bench? You even have a similar line ready to go? - Okay. But understand, nobody suggested that FH would not "amount to anything."

Interesting what happens in this forum the minute somebody wants some credit for Allegany while suggesting you might have a couple of special teams as a result of some special talent that doesn't come along that often.

But okay. Nothing wrong with being a fan. And, nothing wrong with pointing out that you might look at these couple years as something special, especially since you can't coach speed.
Nice try Lags, but your original posts on this matter wasn't intended to get a few "Red-Heads" to "look at these couple years as something special." You contradicted that tone with your "Big Red is only one graduating class away from a loss to a good passing team in the early rounds of the playoffs" comment.

And THAT IS the comment that encouraged my rebuttal... "One graduating class away" ... We WILL be reloaded next year, just like we traditionally do every year. Other wise we wouldn't put in the backups asap every game... FH DOESNT RUN UP THE SCORE, we prepare to carry out the tradition next year!

I took Lag's comment meaning the playoff loss to Brunswick 2 seasons ago. Just added the thoughts on the younger teams to give them some props for what I think is pretty impressive work without their 5 best players who are up on varsity or injured since game 1.

Polk why the edit on your nice long post before my last post? It was a good one.

Originally posted by PolkHighPride:

Nice try Lags, but your original posts on this matter wasn't intended to get a few "Red-Heads" to "look at these couple years as something special." You contradicted that tone with your "Big Red is only one graduating class away from a loss to a good passing team in the early rounds of the playoffs" comment.
That is exactly what I meant and stand by it. That was a very good team. If you can't see the difference between a Ty Johnson team and that team.... well, obviously you can't. Oh, and guess who's stretching their syntax with a "contradicting that tone" comment? Well, pink shoelaces to you too there duder... :^) I'll be sure to retool my tone so it's properly tuned. [cackle, snort]

Tow, Gen

Like I posted, you guys can't stand the slightest suggestion that what is happening now can't go on forever.

With FH's level of coaching, it should be the continual class of the area as the area continues to shrink. But that isn't good enough for some of you. You have rose colored night-vision goggles: you see barnyards full of Barnes' talent and see the skylines full of Ty's speed. You see rows and rows of 'big uglies' (as it were) blocking and tackling with quickness that stuns the senses.

When Allegany's JV team ran the table the posts in here claimed it meant nothing because the leap to varsity was too great. Now that it's Big Red, it's means everything. Northern is good until Alco beats them, then it's nothing - and so Imes performance means nothing.

If, and when, FH gets 9 championships it will be everything. But until then Allegany's 8 championships mean nothing. I get it. Ignore the karma if you want.

No, what I can't stand is someone talking like this is a fluke.

What I see in the sky is a record of 74-11 over the past 7 season. I see the traditional big plays that happen every year from our backs.

Yes Ty is a special player, but if we don't have a player that can beat the defense by 25 yards that's fine, we'll just have to settle for the one that beats the D by 10-15 yards next season.

9 championships... By all means be THAT Alco again... It only made FH tougher, and made Cumberland a complete city... It use to be tradition, and I miss those days! It was very depressing sitting at the Alco game Friday, and not seeing any pride, or excitement for the home team.

I don't care about FH's dominating record over Alco, and I don't care about who has how many championship... I DO however care about, and miss the rivalry that made this city, and it's seems to be dying down. I miss the old days of Alco having a great team that helped push the rivalry. I would just like to get those days back.

Tow, Gen

Like I posted, you guys can't stand the slightest suggestion that what is happening now can't go on forever.
Nothing lasts forever, everyone knows that.

The suggestion that "what is happening now can't go on forever" is somewhat relative. What exactly has happened? Fort Hill has won one state title in the last 15 years. Nothing has been written in stone even for this year, although FH is trying their best to repeat the great season from last year.

But what exactly are you saying is "happening" at FH now...that hasn't been happening over the last 20, 30, 40 years?

FH winning the bulk of the games they play by large margins? Nothing new there.
Excellent talent? Nothing new there.
A big strong line? Nothing new there.
A few standout big time playmakers? Nothing new there.
A string of lopsided victories over Alco? Nothing new there.
Going deep into the playoffs? Nothing new there.
FH winning a state title in football?...okay, granted that's fairly uncommon, but not unprecedented. And as dominating as FH was in winning it last year, it's still the first (and currently ONLY) one they've won in 17 years. If FH runs the table this year with another one...or wins a couple more in the next couple years...then start with the "nothing lasts forever" chant. But as of right now, there's nothing out of the ordinary really happening at FH outside of their standard ability to field good football teams, win the local games, and go deep into the playoffs.

Originally posted by FHHSAHS:
Tow, Gen

Nothing lasts forever, everyone knows that.

The suggestion that "what is happening now can't go on forever" is somewhat relative. What exactly has happened? Fort Hill has won one state title in the last 15 years. Nothing has been written in stone even for this year, although FH is trying their best to repeat the great season from last year.

But what exactly are you saying is "happening" at FH now...that hasn't been happening over the last 20, 30, 40 years?

FH winning the bulk of the games they play by large margins? Nothing new there.
Excellent talent? Nothing new there.
A big strong line? Nothing new there.
A few standout big time playmakers? Nothing new there.
A string of lopsided victories over Alco? Nothing new there.
Going deep into the playoffs? Nothing new there.
FH winning a state title in football?...okay, granted that's fairly uncommon, but not unprecedented. And as dominating as FH was in winning it last year, it's still the first (and currently ONLY) one they've won in 17 years. If FH runs the table this year with another one...or wins a couple more in the next couple years...then start with the "nothing lasts forever" chant. But as of right now, there's nothing out of the ordinary really happening at FH outside of their standard ability to field good football teams, win the local games, and go deep into the playoffs.
I agree with some of what you posted except you missed my karma point and perhaps some usage of "excellent" and "fairly uncommon" instead of using flat out uncommon and being very talented for a small school. And, that makes my point again: if you see FH as you do it is easy run your nose in the air at the small school across town - or anywhere else for that matter.

You just can't get your arms around the simple fact that if FH were everything you claim it is they would have won at least a half dozen championships in those 17 years. You just don't get it. And, I am right. Nothing lasts forever - so appreciate it when it's happening however long or short. Part of keeping good karma is being humble and giving credit where it is due... even if it wears blue.

Lag, I think you are getting your BVD's in a bunch based on your interpretation of something that is either misguided or at least misplaced. At least from my POV.

I don't in the least turn my nose up at Allegany. In fact, I understand that in recent years...other than Dunbar, one of the significant reasons FH doesn't have more titles is because of Allegany. At least since 2005 when they rejoined classes. 2009, 2007, and 2005 being three years that FH never had a chance to try because of Alco (2009 especially).

But my point is, that FH (at this juncture) is not doing anything different over the last few years that they did from, say, 1994-1998. In those 5 years they went to 4 out of 5 state title games and won one.

Or from 2004-2008. In those 5 years they went to two state finals and won none.

So far, in the last 6 years they've gone to two state finals and won one.

FH has been pretty consistent over the last 20 years - sure, we'd like to see a few more titles, but the chances have been there for many years. But in the last 20 years FH and Alco both have the same number of state titles.

So again, I'm asking what you are saying is "happening" at FH that you are warning people about coming to an end? I don't see any FH people on here doing much more than stating that FH is really good this year (they are), they were really good last year (they were), and they should be really good for the next few years (which they should). In ten years? Who knows.

Is that wrong? Is it really "arrogant" enough to be saying karma is due? At least from my perspective it's not. I'm excited for the possibilities being a FH fan. I'm proud of the kids and Todd and the school. I talk of them as I expect that they will win, or confident in their abilities. And why shouldn't I be?...they are. I have nothing to do with it, but I like what I see.

This post was edited on 10/27 1:33 PM by FHHSAHS

I like what I see at FH. I have nothing but respect for the coaching staff at FH. I worry about the days after Coach Appel, McKenney, etc, decide enough is enough. I don't think that is coming soon but it will one day. That is why I believe nothing lasts forever. Someone will have monster shoes to fill...one day. Some people are cut from certain molds and it's hard to find a replacement that compares. There will be down years. I see more good than bad. Allegany is having some down years. It's up to their leaders to bring them through it. I have watched talent come and go there and not reach its potential. FH's staff manages to get that potential out of who they have. I am with others on here who miss the years where you don't have a clue what will happen at homecoming. It's become predictable for a reason.

Good point FH89. On the FH staff getting what they can out of what they have. And getting players to buy in to the program.

I mean, one of the things that my friends and I have talked about is, while we are all ecstatic for Ty Johnson, and glad that he is a FH guy...he wasn't on ANYONE's radar until Homecoming last year. Yeah, he was a good player...but he came into his own by taking over that Homecoming game when Dekari Darr had effectively been shut down. he then exploded through the playoffs...and then against Douglass, he was uncharacteristically held in check...so then Alex Barnes took over and dominated that game.

Both of FH's biggest offensive weapons this year were basically born out last years post-season.

FHHSAHS,

FH fans are legion while I pretty much stand alone. I address my comments to the collective. If I singled out each person's piece of the pie my posts would be 3 times longer. So, I will let my general remarks stand.

I know I must be up to a half dozen times stating this but here goes anyway: The level of talent this year and last year might only come along once in a generation for a small school. Enjoy it because it might be only one graduation away from changing. If you come into this forum and declare you were bored at watching Alco against Northern (in particular Carson Imes) then you are smitten by the nose-in-the-air bug. To varying degrees this happens all the time. I don't make this stuff up.

From declarations that Robinette wouldn't start for FH to Allegany is slow... and on .... and on. Fact is, by diminishing others you don't make your team better. You just look bad. Again, not you in specific FHHSAHS, but the collective posts look bad.

Lastly, my undies don't get wadded. I just feel motivated to respond. I watched the commercial vids of both games. The comments versus what I saw with Allegany were - needless to say - way out of whack. Now, FH's opponent committed more crimes against the game of football than I care to respond to: it is an example of what is wrong with the small schools that grab a bunch of athletes and merely toss them on the field.

Gotcha.

Oh and (though I am not taking your point about the Alco/Northern game personally) I would like to comment that Alco played an exceptionally good game, offensively. Northern may not be the next coming of a 1A juggernaut, but they are still a 1A west playoff caliber team. You have to win those games before contemplating the next level, and Alco did just that with authority.

I was bored not by the game play...but by the crowd. It was so quiet. Even though the band was more hyped than normal, they actually played quite a few bleacher tunes. (The Braddock kids being with them may have had something to do with that too).

Originally posted by FHHSAHS:

Gotcha.

Oh and (though I am not taking your point about the Alco/Northern game personally) I would like to comment that Alco played an exceptionally good game, offensively. Northern may not be the next coming of a 1A juggernaut, but they are still a 1A west playoff caliber team. You have to win those games before contemplating the next level, and Alco did just that with authority.

I was bored not by the game play...but by the crowd. It was so quiet. Even though the band was more hyped than normal, they actually played quite a few bleacher tunes. (The Braddock kids being with them may have had something to do with that too).
As always, you are a true gentleman and I fully respect you. I was sort of waiting for someone to point out that there are a couple of low post count mixers that usually show up and start things - and once things get going - they dive under rocks.

Lag, I think you hit the nail on the head. It is exciting watching Ty and Barnes play. It's easy to get caught up in the entire atmosphere. Watching a game on ustream doesn't do justice for the overall feeling of what was going on in the stadium for the Allegany /Northern game. I didn't think Allegany played bad. Northern had a wide open guy on the interception play and for Northern killed any and all momentum. Like I said before. Allegany had to play bad and Northern had to play perfect to beat them.

Originally posted by FortHillFan89:
Lag, I think you hit the nail on the head. It is exciting watching Ty and Barnes play. It's easy to get caught up in the entire atmosphere. Watching a game on ustream doesn't do justice for the overall feeling of what was going on in the stadium for the Allegany /Northern game. I didn't think Allegany played bad. Northern had a wide open guy on the interception play and for Northern killed any and all momentum. Like I said before. Allegany had to play bad and Northern had to play perfect to beat them.
I can't wait to get to a FH playoff game. I have been unable to travel to Cumberland for any regular games this year.

Tow, Gen

With FH's level of coaching, it should be the continual class of the area as the area continues to shrink. But that isn't good enough for some of you. You have rose colored night-vision goggles: you see barnyards full of Barnes' talent and see the skylines full of Ty's speed. You see rows and rows of 'big uglies' (as it were) blocking and tackling with quickness that stuns the senses.

When Allegany's JV team ran the table the posts in here claimed it meant nothing because the leap to varsity was too great. Now that it's Big Red, it's means everything. Northern is good until Alco beats them, then it's nothing - and so Imes performance means nothing.

If, and when, FH gets 9 championships it will be everything. But until then Allegany's 8 championships mean nothing. I get it. Ignore the karma if you want.
Lag, think you took my comments the wrong way for you to address me with most of what you posted in the quoted post

Also think you are using a wide paint brush to paint so many of the red fans into a darker shade of red LOL

Not all of us agree with so many of the crazy things said about JV team not meaning anything and stuff like that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT