ADVERTISEMENT

So does northern stand a chance friday????

Originally posted by towpath94:

Originally posted by Lagmeister:
Tow, Gen

Like I posted, you guys can't stand the slightest suggestion that what is happening now can't go on forever.

With FH's level of coaching, it should be the continual class of the area as the area continues to shrink. But that isn't good enough for some of you. You have rose colored night-vision goggles: you see barnyards full of Barnes' talent and see the skylines full of Ty's speed. You see rows and rows of 'big uglies' (as it were) blocking and tackling with quickness that stuns the senses.

When Allegany's JV team ran the table the posts in here claimed it meant nothing because the leap to varsity was too great. Now that it's Big Red, it's means everything. Northern is good until Alco beats them, then it's nothing - and so Imes performance means nothing.

If, and when, FH gets 9 championships it will be everything. But until then Allegany's 8 championships mean nothing. I get it. Ignore the karma if you want.
Lag, think you took my comments the wrong way for you to address me with most of what you posted in the quoted post

Also think you are using a wide paint brush to paint so many of the red fans into a darker shade of red LOL

Not all of us agree with so many of the crazy things said about JV team not meaning anything and stuff like that
Thanks for your post. I will reconsider my impressions. I have certainly been guilty of over reacting now and then.

Hey Lag, You could be wrong you know about more talent like Barnes and Johnson at FH. They might deliberately drop English so they can play next year. FH is known to do that once in a while. What do you think? Classification committee meets on Nov 6 and the enrollments might be lowered again.

And yes, FH makes it deep into the playoffs every year, but we have less state titles however. One fact remains pretty evident to me though... Alco won their titles by having a team that could top FH each one of those particular seasons. If Alco has a team good enough to beat FH then they have a legit shot at the title. BUT if FH has a team good enough to beat Alco (as of recently) means nothing other than another win, and has no effect on having us ready for good playoff competition. I miss the magic of homecoming. Now it's just become another game before the playoffs.

I know that sounds arrogant... But I'm arrogant about Cumberland, the competition, and the caliber of the teams that were guaranteed to come from this city. Maybe it's because I'm not a kid anymore, but the magic is gone. I'm running out of ways and reasons to make sense of not combining the two schools to people who didn't grow up in this area. Hell I argued with the manager of Applebee's for almost 2 hours trying to make him understand the local love of, and need for this rivalry. All I heard from him is we need to "move forward", and "you're living in the past, these schools need to combine, and make one great Cumberland team". Obviously Applebee's isn't your "NEIGHBORHOOD" bar and grill!

Remember Fields, and Walker from the 90's at Alco? Those were great homecomings! Back in those days Alco felt like the FH from the other side of the town. Now it just feels like we are playing another Miners type squad. AND ITS NOT THE PLAYERS! It's the coaches, and the public support from there fans. Bring the tradition back! We all feel like we are losing something without a well coached squad, with a tremendous backing from the other side of town.

Once we were NATIONALLY recognized as one of the biggest rivalries in the entire country it almost seemed like we became entitled, and quit doing what made us all who we are as teams, and fans. Cumberland doesn't have much left.... But bleeding RED or BLUE was something we all use to strongly identify with. I'd hate to see it go away just to "move forward"

This post was edited on 10/27 9:07 PM by GenSneaky

That was plain stupid to say wehave8.

"Kids, do you mind playing with your future so we can get another season out of ya"

Right I see that really being said

This may come off the wrong way but it's the adults who care most about the tradition. The typical kid doesn't. Yes you would most likely get a different answer from the players but that number is dwindling. What is best for the kids though is a good education and good environment. With the decay of the middle schools, dropping enrollment numbers, we are building a school that one day will end up being the school that's consolidated to and everyone will get bused to the stadium. Sounds dumb to me. And believe me, I love the tradition.

Originally posted by FortHillFan89:
Lag, I think you hit the nail on the head. It is exciting watching Ty and Barnes play. It's easy to get caught up in the entire atmosphere. Watching a game on ustream doesn't do justice for the overall feeling of what was going on in the stadium for the Allegany /Northern game. I didn't think Allegany played bad. Northern had a wide open guy on the interception play and for Northern killed any and all momentum. Like I said before. Allegany had to play bad and Northern had to play perfect to beat them.
I still can't believe a couple hits that Barnes made. Unbelievable.

Maybe instead of saying "tradition" I should have said HERITAGE... Passed down from one generation to the next. It was passed down to me from my 2 previous generations, and I would love to see it live on.

Each culture, race, and religion want to pass on to the next generation what defines them. The way I was raised... bleeding RED, OR BLUE was part of what was passed down as what else defines you. AND if you wasn't the better team.... Then you cheered for the other side of town, because in the end you rooted for the CITY to bring home another title for CUMBERLAND

Someone said in another post something about a 16 game playoff.... So just imagine....

FH and Alco are #1 and #2 in the state
Homecoming ended in a tie
Both undefeated
Both make it's way thru each round of playoffs to play the title game
AND IT GETS PLAYED AT GREENWAY

20K fans or more attend...

STUFF DREAMS ARE MADE OF!!!

This post was edited on 10/28 12:16 AM by GenSneaky

It would take a special person surrounded by a very good supporting staff to start day one at a combined school with the traditions that make us proud. There would be hills to climb but in the end it could give the city and area something as one to be proud of instead of dividing us. Think about a full stadium every game. A chance to bring the band back to support the kids from the other side of town. The caravan of vehicles for away games. It could be a thing of beauty. And what would be most important is the money that could be put into education instead of wasted while our other schools continue to age and fall apart.

It would take a special person surrounded by a very good supporting staff to start day one at a combined school with the traditions that make us proud. There would be hills to climb but in the end it could give the city and area something as one to be proud of instead of dividing us. Think about a full stadium every game. A chance to bring the band back to support the kids from the other side of town. The caravan of vehicles for away games. It could be a thing of beauty. And what would be most important is the money that could be put into education instead of wasted while our other schools continue to age and fall apart.

Ewww... I'm sure that's bound to happen one day.

If people think we are divided that's their opinion I guess, but if it's Blue that makes it to states I wish them well, and I don't hope for them to have misfortune. Blue SHOULD feel the same way about Red making it!

I'm just not ready to give up on our city's traditions!!!

I'm not ready to give up but we better be thinking of proactive ways of increasing our population and jobs here. It's not about what you and I want. It's about making sure we are prepared to do what's best for this area, it's children, and what's to come in the future. We are listed as the 9th poorest city in America. I'm just saying at some point we need to be realistic.

This post was edited on 10/28 11:27 AM by FortHillFan89

Divided an opinion? Without going into great detail I have personally experienced abrasive fans from one particular side of town. It hasn't been extreme but there is no doubt there is a division. Not many can say they want to see the other side win a title. There are a few who can obviously but not many.

Well the people who can't swallow their pride, and root for the hometown team once your own aspirations have expired were not raised right. I however was taught better by an amazing generation (my 80yr old grandparents) who also taught me about the days this city thrived. I understand that this is a different generation with a different mentality.

At FH we were taught as players to respect your opponent, and wish them well... That's why we shake hands after the game... SPORTMANSHIP

And as for the future of the schools, I'm not seeing how combining the 2 schools would ever help the area to have more economical development... But THAT conversation seemed a little more like politics, and I'm not going there.

This post was edited on 10/28 3:41 PM by GenSneaky

And cumbfanatic, if Alco didn't have Robinette, they probably would also have more than 2 losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT