ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Date Feb 7th

5punisher3

Junior Varsity Poster
Aug 15, 2015
Feb 7th, signing date for college football, what's the word on the street? Any local players going to the next level?

Avery Knippenburg FH transferring to Frostburg, Brayden Conley FH to Frostburg, Kaleb Harden WV Weslyn

My "sources" have given me the following info; FH's #31 (next level), Keyser's #40 (next level), FH's #4 (next level), FH's #9 (next level), Alco's #95 (next level), FH's #3 (next level), I'm sure there's a couple of players that's remaining "hush hush" til signing date. We hope for all the best for these young men who's continuing their pigskin careers and "EDUCATION" !

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Luke Hamilton #4 from FH has had many offers -- full ride offers to Navy, West Point, West Virginia Weslyn and now Towson. He's also had offers from Shepherd; and preferred walk ons from Pitt and Temple. I'm sure I've missed some but here's what I know for certain.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Commitment update; FH #9, WV Weslyn, FH #4, Towson, these two have signed. Haven't received info on other players signing. Hope the best for these two fine young men, hope they're as successful at this level as they were at the highschool level. Both have outstanding work ethics on and off the field!

Is there any support or mentorship for players after they graduate? The reason I'm asking is because I notice a lot of kids from the area that are fortunate to get scholarships only stay in school for one year. I know after high school you're supposed to be an adult, but I remember my freshman year wasn't easy. The entire Cumberland/Tri-State community does a great job of supporting their high school athletes (especially football) but it's not like that most places.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Is there any support or mentorship for players after they graduate? The reason I'm asking is because I notice a lot of kids from the area that are fortunate to get scholarships only stay in school for one year. I know after high school you're supposed to be an adult, but I remember my freshman year wasn't easy. The entire Cumberland/Tri-State community does a great job of supporting their high school athletes (especially football) but it's not like that most places.

Unfortunately, you are 110% correct on that note. There does need to be a post-high school support system for kids who are lucky enough to get an opportunity to go away for school/football but for some unknown reason, find their way back to Cumberland after one or two semesters.

Over the years, that's given Cumberland kids a little bit of a bad name on the recruiting trail.

Is this a "thing" in general? Kids not being able to stand being away from home for too long? And it's amplified by the fact that we have so few who get scholarships that we notice it more?

I swear, in looking at my kids' friends, so many of them went away to college and ended up back here. Not just athletes, but kids in general. Is that a rural thing? Country bumpkins cant hack it in a different environment? Kids are spoiled? What is that?

Is this a "thing" in general? Kids not being able to stand being away from home for too long? And it's amplified by the fact that we have so few who get scholarships that we notice it more?

I swear, in looking at my kids' friends, so many of them went away to college and ended up back here. Not just athletes, but kids in general. Is that a rural thing? Country bumpkins cant hack it in a different environment? Kids are spoiled? What is that?

I think you're right on every point... especially the fact that so few kids from the area get scholarships to play football in college, which amplifies the football/recruiting aspect of it. From that end, is it because the kids get so much attention as players around here, then they get to college and are no longer the man, and have to start over, so it's just easier to go back home?

I just recently heard that Brayden Brown came home before the semester ended at UConn, thus he didn't complete any actual credits, so he's literally not eligible to play football at any college. If that's really the case... it's a problem.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
IMO, "mommy and daddy" instead of raising their girls and boys up to be young women and young men, that pacifier, or "silver spoon" is let in place way to long. Life hits them right in the kisser and they can't handle it. They were never put in the place to make somewhat major decisions, like being away from home more than a few days or what to make for supper. Take them training wheels off before high school, they'll learn. Some sooner, some later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT