ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando is a great atmosphere

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
What a great high school football game tonight in Stephens City! Huge crowd, both sides loud and crazy. Both bands very involved (not sure why the FH band showed up late). The way Sherando does their pregame introductions, the horse planting a spear, the fireworks after the national anthem and when they score. Wonderful stuff. OK, so I'm a little Florida State biased, but it was still cool. These two should play every year. The gate money and concessions had to be huge.

Sherando took the opening drive and jammed it down the FH throat. I was a little leery at that point. I do have to agree with the coaches, the refs just could not stay out of the way in the first half. These were not just 5 yard variety penalties. Most of them were 10 or 15 yard drive killers and it kept FH from getting any type of flow when they had the ball. It also kept Sherando drives alive and on the FH side of the field pretty much the entire 1st half. But despite the calls, Sherando wasn't going to let FH run the ball. Which leads to one of my greatest compliments tonight...

Nathaniel Graves played an incredible game behind center. MVP no question. I knew he had the ability to be a good one but he was dead accurate throwing the ball. He sees the entire field. It was his arm that beat Sherando. I cannot recall a FH quarterback looking that good in the passing game in a very, very long time. And he is an incredible runner on top of that. Opponents better take notice that stacking the box can now burn you with this kid behind center.

I said before the game that Sherando was probably going to be the best team FH will see all year even if they get to the state title game. They showed me nothing to change my mind.

I did meet the Penn State defensive coordinator at the game tonight. He was there to see #7 for Sherando who also has an offer from the Nittany Lions. He also got a good look see at #2 for FH. Although the Warrior defense did a great job containing much of the FH rushing attack. But #2 had to have over 100 yards receiving and was locked in covering the Sherando big man many times when they had the ball.

The Big Red landslide to open the second half just never stopped. Once that momentum swing came it was all FH...offense, defense and special teams.

What a great game to watch.

Last edited:
The Fort Hill Band stopped and ate at the Outlets in Hagerstown before coming to the game. Leavng later than was originally wanted and heavy traffic delayed the bands arrival.

I agree it was a great all around experience. We sat on the home side and still enjoyed the game. There fans were very respectful during the Bands performance and seemed to enjoy it. Other than the setting issue it was a very nice field and with there own traditions and theatrics it made fun to play another team with that kind of excitement. Hats off to the team and the coaches, they kept their heads up and stayed in the game. Way to fight for it!!!

Todd - without your involvement up front scheduling this game would've never happened. Thank you, again, for pulling the levers to make this one happen, as well as an improved overall schedule this season. I don't envy you and the challenge each and every year.

Even if FH would've lost this game it should've happened. So many on this board expressed their hesitation and trepidation when they saw the schedule with 'we should not be playing big schools', 'potential injury', 'could hurt our chances of making the playoffs', etc, etc... I've always argued the opposite to why FH should be playing schools just like Sherando, and this game proved it. I'm one who has faith in the FH football program, and they showed that great coaching adjustments at the half, player determination & execution of course rose to the top, again, with the best game I've seen in 20 years. A great night that will be talked about 10-15-20 years from now.

In my head I picked a Sherando win (35-28), but in my heart FH would win this game. Glad I could attend with so many of my FH classmates of so long ago and be there to support. Living 30 min away was a bonus too :) Looking forward to this game next year in our house!

Sherando was a fantastic place to watch a football game, I can't say enough good things about the facilities, the people, the atmosphere. The horse, spear, fireworks, perfectly manicured grass field, huge crowd on both sides. Maybe it's because of the outcome, but I honestly don't know that I have ever enjoyed a High School Football Game as much as I did this one.

I'd like to also give a special shout out to the Sherando guy(s) who made recommendations on eating at Roma's, parking at the Pool, etc.... Things couldn't have worked out any more perfect. I'm with you Todd, Fort Hill and Sherando should play every year, what a rivalry it could be.

Two more shout outs to the Sherando folks. Number 1, I have never seen an opposing team's fan base be so enthusiastic when cheering on our Band and Sentinelettes. They all jumped to their feet. Number 2, I wasn't there in the area to see it necessarily, but I hear that many of the Sherando folks even some of their cheerleaders and student body were offering up a heckuva lot of "good game" to our kids as we left the field.

Tell me honestly. have you ever enjoyed a road game anymore then that one. I hate to bring up the "M" word but it was like travelling back into time and going to Martinsburg, except that rather than fist fighting the crowd we were all having a love fest with one another. Sherando gained some fans from Western Maryland tonight.

VerizonSportsFan
VaPreps Honorable Mention

NewFort Hill Storms Back In Second Half To Hand Sherando First Loss
Posted: October 24, 2015

By WALT MOODY

STEPHENS CITY — Three minutes is not long in the span of a 48-minute football game, but those 180 seconds erased Sherando’s dominating first half and ended the Warriors’ hope for an unbeaten season.

Fort Hill (Md.) turned a 14-point halftime deficit into a two-point lead in that span to start the second half and road the wave of momentum to a stunning 23-14 triumph against previously unbeaten Sherando on Friday night at Arrowhead Stadium.

Nathaniel Graves threw for a score and ran for two more as the Sentinels (6-1) thrilled their large contingent of fans from Cumberland, Md., with the victory and handed the Warriors (7-1) their initial loss.

“The biggest thing I’m proud of is they kept their heads up at halftime,” said Fort Hill coach Todd Appel, whose team won the Maryland Class 1A championship last season. “Down 14-0, that usually doesn’t happen to us, but they believed in themselves. And boy in that third quarter, we bum-rushed them there.”

Sherando had dominated the first 24 minutes, scoring twice and having two more opportunities end deep in Fort Hill territory on failed fourth downs.

But the contest changed abruptly, when Markel Spencer took the second-half kickoff back 61 yards to the Sherando 28. One play later, Graves hit a wide-open Brayden Brown near the left corner of the end zone and the Sentinels suddenly were within a touchdown just 22 seconds into the half.

It would get worse for the Warriors thanks to a fluke play. On the ensuing kickoff, Joseph Doleman slipped while backpedaling to catch the ball near the goal line. Initially ruled a touchback, the ball was placed at the 1 after a discussion by the officials.

Sherando coach Bill Hall said he sent the offense out with a play thinking the ball was going to be on the 20. That play, a run to D.J. Myers, resulted with Myers being tackled in the end zone for a safety.

That made the score 14-9 just 32 seconds into the half.

A nice return by Brown on the ensuing free kick, gave Fort Hill the ball at the Sherando 38. Graves capped a short drive with a 14-yard bolt up the middle and 2:58 into the second half the Sentinels had the lead.

“That was huge,” Hall said. “It was a huge momentum swing right there. Obviously, we would have liked to respond better in that situation. It was a valuable learning experience for our guys.”

“It flipped the game,” Warrior linebacker Tyler Tinsman said. “... We didn’t come out ready and it was tough.”

Sherando, which had controlled the ball the first half, struggled offensively from there. And with Fort Hill moving the ball and milking the clock in its wing-T offense, the Warriors had only four second-half possessions after the safety.

The key was Graves’ passing out of the offense which is designed to rack up big rushing yards. Graves completed 11 of 14 passes for 139 yards for the game.

“We had to loosen them up,” said Appel, whose team had just three first downs (one on a fake punt) in the first half. “They were all over our running game.”

“We did not expect it as much as they did,” Hall said of Graves’ passing. “We were doing a very good job with their run game and obviously that was their counter.”

“We had stopped up the run all night and that’s all that they’ve done,” said Tinsman, who was in on a game-high 16 tackles. “We thought they would come back with it and they came out with the pass.”

Still the Warriors had a chance thanks to one of those Fort Hill passes. Linebacker David Eppard picked off a Graves toss over the middle and returned it to the Sentinel 31 early in the fourth quarter.

But after a sack, Myers grabbed a bobbled handoff and bolted up the middle. As he struggled for extra yardage near the first down Myers was popped from behind, fumbled and the Sentinels recovered at the 23.

“We get the turnover and we turn it right back over,” Hall said. “Obviously that’s a huge play in the second half.”

Hall said his team had other opportunities in the half, too.

“They did some more man coverage and reduced their front down a little bit,” he said of the Sentinels defense. “We had some opportunities there with shots and we just missed them and there was a lot of pressure on the quarterback, so we didn’t have enough time to take advantage of those opportunities.”

After the Myers fumble, the Sentinels took over and ground more than six minutes off the clock. All but one of the plays on a 77-yard march came on the ground. On fourth and inches from the Warriors 3, Graves capped the 14-play march by diving over the goal line to make it 23-14 with 1:14 left.

“The run game came back again a little bit when we needed it,” Appel said. “Thank God for that.”

Myers led a ground game that was dominant for the Warriors in the first half.

Sherando took the opening kickoff and drove 75 yards in 10 plays. Dylan Rivers capped the march with a 3-yard run.

Later in the half after a 17-yard punt return from Cordell Peterson with a personal foul tacked on, the Warriors needed just two Myers runs to go 18 yards. Myers bowled over two tacklers at the goal line for a six-yard score.

Myers led all ballcarriers with 106 yards on 18 carries. Patrick Minteer was 8 of 16 for 92 yards and an interception.

The Warriors return to action next week at Skyline and Hall doesn’t expect lingering effects of a first loss.

“Oh, they will respond,” he said of his players. “We have a good tradition here and we haven’t been in that situation a lot, but that’s one of those things you learn from and we’ll teach more tomorrow morning when we come in at 8 a.m. and watch the film.”

“We’ll be fine,” Tinsman said. “[The Sentinels] played phenomenal in the second half, but we made mistakes that we don’t usually make. It’s a part of the game, you mess up sometimes.”

Note: Penn State linebackers coach Brent Pry was on the sidelines watching Rivers, who has been offered a scholarship by the Nittany Lions. Penn State plays Maryland in Baltimore this afternoon.
VerizonSportsFan, Today at 5:22 AM
Like + Quote Reply

What a great high school football game tonight in Stephens City! Huge crowd, both sides loud and crazy. Both bands very involved (not sure why the FH band showed up late). The way Sherando does their pregame introductions, the horse planting a spear, the fireworks after the national anthem and when they score. Wonderful stuff. OK, so I'm a little Florida State biased, but it was still cool. These two should play every year. The gate money and concessions had to be huge.

Sherando took the opening drive and jammed it down the FH throat. I was a little leery at that point. I do have to agree with the coaches, the refs just could not stay out of the way in the first half. These were not just 5 yard variety penalties. Most of them were 10 or 15 yard drive killers and it kept FH from getting any type of flow when they had the ball. It also kept Sherando drives alive and on the FH side of the field pretty much the entire 1st half. But despite the calls, Sherando wasn't going to let FH run the ball. Which leads to one of my greatest compliments tonight...

Nathaniel Graves played an incredible game behind center. MVP no question. I knew he had the ability to be a good one but he was dead accurate throwing the ball. He sees the entire field. It was his arm that beat Sherando. I cannot recall a FH quarterback looking that good in the passing game in a very, very long time. And he is an incredible runner on top of that. Opponents better take notice that stacking the box can now burn you with this kid behind center.

I said before the game that Sherando was probably going to be the best team FH will see all year even if they get to the state title game. They showed me nothing to change my mind.

I did meet the Penn State defensive coordinator at the game tonight. He was there to see #7 for Sherando who also has an offer from the Nittany Lions. He also got a good look see at #2 for FH. Although the Warrior defense did a great job containing much of the FH rushing attack. But #2 had to have over 100 yards receiving and was locked in covering the Sherando big man many times when they had the ball.

The Big Red landslide to open the second half just never stopped. Once that momentum swing came it was all FH...offense, defense and special teams.

What a great game to watch.
I remember going to Jefferson, Hedgesville, Musselman for many years and the atmosphere was always great, it's a shame we haven't played these guys for years. Has there been any discussions with these schools and perhaps Berkeley Springs about reconnecting. I apologize if you have discussed these teams specifically already, I just haven't seen it.

Their fans were great...all but one.this guy might be the missing one. He heard me bitching about the home cooking in the first half and he told me to bring a football team next time. What a butt hole. Other than that one guy great place to play football

Last edited:
Sherando Takes Pride In Annoying Its Opponents
Posted: September 21, 2015

By ROBERT NIEDZWIECKI

The Winchester Star

55ff8b4d-0070-4e33-a998-2dffb68152da.jpg

Dennis GrundmanSpecial to The Winchester StarAnnouncer Rick Ours describes a play from the press box at Sherando High School during Friday’s Homecoming game.
55ff8b4d-6544-4969-810a-2dffb68152da.jpg

Dennis GrundmanSpecial to The Winchester StarThe Sherando football team charges onto the field Friday at Homecoming. Sherando defeated Eastern View, 42-21.

STEPHENS CITY — There’s a scene in the 1994 movie “Dumb and Dumber” in which the character Lloyd Christmas, played by Jim Carrey, asks a fellow passenger in a van, “Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?” before proceeding to make a high-pitched, alarm-like noise.

As annoying as that sound is, a number of football fans around these parts might gladly take that over a certain noise that comes out of Arrowhead Stadium every fall: “SHEEEE-RANDO!”

“I’ve had friends whose kids go to James Wood, Millbrook or Handley say to me, ‘That’s the most annoying thing I’ve ever heard,’” said Rick Ours, who has been Sherando High School’s football public address announcer since the school opened in 1993. “I tell them, ‘Good. I’m glad it’s working.’”

Ours initially added the drawn-out pronunciation of the school’s name after first downs, and later to touchdowns.

“It’s intended to not only generate excitement from the crowd, but also sort of intimidate the other team,” he said recently.

Ours’s announcing skills are just one of the many things that have made games at Sherando’s stadium truly unique events.

“I would definitely say the experience there is one of the best in the state,” said Reed Prosser, football coach at Heritage High School in Leesburg, who made the trip to Sherando while coaching Millbrook from 2006 to 2012.

There’s the drum beat that typically begins playing over the Sherando loudspeaker at 4 p.m.

There’s the man dressed in Native American garb as the “Sherando Warrior,” complete with headdress and face paint, who rides onto the playing field on a horse and throws down a spear as the theme from the movie “The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly” plays in the background.

There’s the school band, the cheerleaders and the student “Loud Crowd.”

At select games, there’s the fireworks that go off in the sky during the national anthem, and after Sherando touchdowns and wins.

And, of course, there are the loyal fans who consistently pack the stands and cheer on the team. Ours said he never gets tired of seeing the fans chop their arms forward when he makes his first down call.

“Sherando, in my opinion, has the best fans of any high school I’ve ever been at,” Ours said. “They’re just very loyal and supportive.

The product on the field is the main reason why the Warriors enjoy games at Arrowhead so much.

Under Sherando head coach Bill Hall, who has been in the post 13 years, the Warriors have never had a losing season and have won 109 games and made two state championship game appearances. Before Hall, Walter Barr also won three regional titles and advanced to two state finals in his four years coaching Sherando from 1994 to 1997.

But over the last 23 seasons, Ours has done everything he can to add to those successful moments with his announcing, and his musical selections.

Ours, 57, who is director of video productions at Shenandoah University, studied broadcast journalism at West Virginia University and had extensive experience in radio and television before moving to Frederick County in 1990. He hosted the Mountaineer Sports Network’s WVU football pre-game show for three years, and during his time in Morgantown, he also provided play-by-play for high school football games on the radio.

So when a neighbor mentioned in 1993 that the new high school in Stephens City was looking for a public address announcer, Ours was immediately intrigued. He has been an unpaid volunteer public address announcer ever since the Warriors’ first home game.

His unique first down call hasn’t been around since the first game, though. As is often the case with first-year schools, Sherando struggled in its debut season (it went 0-10), but Ours couldn’t help but take notice in the improvement the team made over the course of the year.

“Near the end of the season — it may have been the last game — [Sherando] played pretty well,” Ours said. “They got this big first down, and instead of [plainly] saying, ‘First down, Sherando’ I [exclaimed], ‘FIRST DOWN, SHEEEE-RANDO!’

“Everybody just sort of reacted to it. It just sort of caught on and became my moniker.”

Ours brought it back for the following season — Barr’s first — and took delight as the fans yelled Ours’s first down call as he was saying it, and chopping one arm forward while they yelled. Ours also added “SHEEEE-RANDO!” to his touchdown calls as well.

As the years have gone on, Ours has frequently spiced up games with his laptop and audio board with songs from people and groups like James Brown (“I Feel Good”), AC/DC (“Back in Black” for the black-clad Warriors), Queen (“We Will Rock You”) and the Baha Men (“Who Let the Dogs Out”).

“Rick gives the crowd a lot of energy,” Prosser said.

While the in-game music is entertaining, it’s Sherando’s pre-game music that sets the tone.

Four years before Jason Barbe was hired as Sherando’s coordinator of student activities, he was an assistant football coach who helped the Warriors to their first-ever playoff berth in 1995.

With future NFL wide receiver Kelley Washington manning the quarterback position, Sherando opened the playoffs with a home game against Courtland that year. To mark the occasion, Sherando elected to play a persistent drum beat (DUN-dun-dun-dun DUN-dun-dun-dun) over the public address system.

“We were standing outside the locker room before the game, and we heard some of [the Courtland] kids say, ‘I hate those drums,’” Barbe said. “We just said, ‘Well, that’s a keeper.’”

Since Barbe took over as coordinator of student activities in 1999, the drumbeat has never started later than 4 p.m., which means it’s ringing in the ears of opposing teams before they even enter the stadium.

“It’s sort of an intimidation thing,” Ours said. “People from opposing teams have told me, ‘Those drums just absolutely drive me crazy.’”

The drums are turned off at 6:35 p.m., then shortly before kickoff Sherando drives its home fans crazy in a good way with another unique noise.

Ours said Barbe’s predecessor, Les Cummings, had the idea of using the iconic theme from the 1966 movie “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” to introduce the players.

It’s still used to introduce the players, but now the opening portion of the song is used for the “Sherando Warrior” and his horse, which has been a staple at Sherando graduations since 1996.

In 2005, Barbe said the school thought it would be a good idea to have the Sherando Warrior ride in before football games, too, and the reaction to his first appearance couldn’t have gone any better.

“The crowd went berserk,” Barbe said. “It was another situation where we said, ‘That’s a keeper.’”

When the Sherando Warrior leaves after throwing down his spear, Ours then says, “Let’s bring on the Sherando Warriors!” and the players run onto the field. Ours amps up the energy level with audio from noted ring announcer Michael Buffer — “Let’s get ready to rumble!” — before playing the familiar sports anthem song that features the line, “Y’all ready for this.”

Player introductions follow, with Sherando offensive or defensive starters running through two lines of their teammates when their name is called, and music plays during those introductions as well.

“The music before the game has become a real tradition at Sherando,” Ours said.

It’s just of the many things that makes games at Sherando an experience that can’t be beat.

“The experience we have at Sherando is unique to us,” Hall said. “We’ve traveled around the state, and we think this is one of the best experiences there is.

“Things like the horse on the field, the way our announcer makes first down calls, our student ‘Loud Crowd,’ and the support we get from our fans is a big part of who we are. The people of Stephens City and Middletown take pride in our school and give us tremendous support, and our players take pride in playing for their school and the community, and that relationship helps with our success. It’s a win-win for both sides.”

Reactions: zoriolus
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT