ADVERTISEMENT

Radio Show last night Field conditions matter

bleedred

Franchise Poster
Oct 16, 2001
I know that several on here will say that "both teams play on the same field" blah, blah, blah. The point being that a slow muddy field usually favors the larger, stronger team. The crown was also mentioned as it should have been.

So onering will understand, the height change changes the trajectory of the pass. An experienced QB will compensate, (Or they will do what Catoctin did and roll the pocket off the crown for the pass.) Southern has an experienced QB this year who is certainly used to that field. FH did not Alco's QB may be a little more seasoned but I still don't think that we'll see much passing from him.

As far as the muddy field is concerned. What was a blessing for Southern against FH, may become a toxin against Alco. While FH's line is good, they are more athletic than physically strong. Alco is just the opposite. (I really believe that their line, as a group, is the strongest in the area.) This will be an interesting game to see.

It seems to me the whole “crown arguement” has been made much more prominent than it really is. I mean we are dealing with high school kids and I can’t think a couple inches in height Ian really going to make that much difference. I mean how often will the pass be thrown from the apex of the crown ? And even if it were, will it make that much difference? Maybe if they were fined tuned professional athletes it could affect the pass a bit say Big Ben to AB.. but I just don’t see it in high school.
As far as field conditions, if ALCO line is stronger ( which I don’t agree) , wet sloppy field conditions advantage cud be offset by neutralizing the speed advantage ALCO has in the backfield and on the outside. I think the wet field favors the Rams unless they lose their defensive lanes from footing. One missed tackle and ALCO back ends up in end zone . One thing I do agree, should be an interesting game to see.

Reactions: OneRing
I know that several on here will say that "both teams play on the same field" blah, blah, blah. The point being that a slow muddy field usually favors the larger, stronger team. The crown was also mentioned as it should have been.

So onering will understand, the height change changes the trajectory of the pass. An experienced QB will compensate, (Or they will do what Catoctin did and roll the pocket off the crown for the pass.) Southern has an experienced QB this year who is certainly used to that field. FH did not Alco's QB may be a little more seasoned but I still don't think that we'll see much passing from him.

As far as the muddy field is concerned. What was a blessing for Southern against FH, may become a toxin against Alco. While FH's line is good, they are more athletic than physically strong. Alco is just the opposite. (I really believe that their line, as a group, is the strongest in the area.) This will be an interesting game to see.

You need a timeout. This is a classic example of confirmation bias. I like how everyone laughed at the experts at CBC looking over the FH tape, but now they are experts on field physics and need to be taken seriously.

Besides, if you are throwing downhill, you are stepping downhill, meaning the pass will have a downward trajectory to compensate for the crown.

I've been watching football for 40 years. You are the only person to ever complain about or blame the crown on a field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT