ADVERTISEMENT

Queen City Quad this Saturday

All valid points. I would call him great because of what he did with what he had over the long run..... and you know I had my issues with him. If I were FH, I would have done everything possible to keep him.

You're right, FH should have done everything they could've to keep him, but in this case there were two Fort Hills that weren't exactly aligned. FH stakeholders (super fans, long time supporters, former players, etc.) I'm sure would've loved to keep Appel, and rightfully so. He's one of the best coaches in state football history.

But the FH principal, a non-FH stakeholder with no history or real ties to FH football or South Cumberland, was the real opponent here. I don't know, but my guess is two things here:

- She's glad Todd resigned
- Part of Todd resigning was his strained relationship with her

It was a perfect storm that at least partially developed because of the culture change. If Steve or another FH stakeholder were still principal, Todd would've had golden handcuffs for as long as he wanted them.

Regardless, Zack is a guy I think will do very well for FH. But by default, if doesn't perform to Todd's level of success, FH stakeholders will (rightfully so) blame Candy for running Todd out.

Reactions: Lagmeister
You're right, FH should have done everything they could've to keep him, but in this case there were two Fort Hills that weren't exactly aligned. FH stakeholders (super fans, long time supporters, former players, etc.) I'm sure would've loved to keep Appel, and rightfully so. He's one of the best coaches in state football history.

But the FH principal, a non-FH stakeholder with no history or real ties to FH football or South Cumberland, was the real opponent here. I don't know, but my guess is two things here:

- She's glad Todd resigned
- Part of Todd resigning was his strained relationship with her

It was a perfect storm that at least partially developed because of the culture change. If Steve or another FH stakeholder were still principal, Todd would've had golden handcuffs for as long as he wanted them.

Regardless, Zack is a guy I think will do very well for FH. But by default, if doesn't perform to Todd's level of success, FH stakeholders will (rightfully so) blame Candy for running Todd out.

I dont disagree that Zacks success will be compared to Appel's or anyone else who did well. But in all reality, and I know this isnt a popular opinion, but as long as FH stays in 1A, it will still be very achievable. It's about the program more so than x's and o's at this point, honestly. Coach Appel's dedication to practice, weight room, support from the community and boosters, etc all play into FH's program operating on a scale of much larger schools. Boyz has posted this before, and I know it gets poo poo'd, but its exactly right. Add to that the excellent feeder system and dedication kids put into football from a very early age, and its a perfect mix. Bring in a coach who adheres to the formula and it will continue without much of a hiccup. I do think Appel was an excellent coach, but not because of any specific x's and o's wizardry, but because he enforced the program and knew how to get the most out of the numbers and players he had.

I'm not going to say too much about the issue with him leaving and the principal and all that, because the conspiracy theories and misplaced vitriol coming from that camp is a little bit on the crazy side - Im seeing FB posts now where BOE candidates are even being blamed etc. Its all over the place. There's more than one side to every story. I'm just ready for some football at this point. Wishful thinking we see it in the spring.

I dont disagree that Zacks success will be compared to Appel's or anyone else who did well. But in all reality, and I know this isnt a popular opinion, but as long as FH stays in 1A, it will still be very achievable. It's about the program more so than x's and o's at this point, honestly. Coach Appel's dedication to practice, weight room, support from the community and boosters, etc all play into FH's program operating on a scale of much larger schools. Boyz has posted this before, and I know it gets poo poo'd, but its exactly right. Add to that the excellent feeder system and dedication kids put into football from a very early age, and its a perfect mix. Bring in a coach who adheres to the formula and it will continue without much of a hiccup. I do think Appel was an excellent coach, but not because of any specific x's and o's wizardry, but because he enforced the program and knew how to get the most out of the numbers and players he had.

I'm not going to say too much about the issue with him leaving and the principal and all that, because the conspiracy theories and misplaced vitriol coming from that camp is a little bit on the crazy side - Im seeing FB posts now where BOE candidates are even being blamed etc. Its all over the place. There's more than one side to every story. I'm just ready for some football at this point. Wishful thinking we see it in the spring.

I still contend that if there were a championship to be played for this year, Appel would have chained himself to one of the goalposts rather than leave.

I still contend that if there were a championship to be played for this year, Appel would have chained himself to one of the goalposts rather than leave.
You would be wrong. This FH team had every chance of winning a title in my estimation. The job of being a head coach isnt easy. Theres a reason most guys only last around a decade at the same place before they move on. Appel had been strained, somewhat by himself, and by those at the top of the chain of command. Especially last year. Todd had done enough winning with the 5 titles that it alone wasn't gonna be enough to make him force himself to stay

You would be wrong. This FH team had every chance of winning a title in my estimation. The job of being a head coach isnt easy. Theres a reason most guys only last around a decade at the same place before they move on. Appel had been strained, somewhat by himself, and by those at the top of the chain of command. Especially last year. Todd had done enough winning with the 5 titles that it alone wasn't gonna be enough to make him force himself to stay

It just seems to me that if there were a regular season and he had a chance to erase that last loss with a championship, he would fight to stay. But why stay this year? Nothing to stay for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT