ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of my Campers!

I'll have to watch the vid because I am nowhere close to getting to the game. I hope there were no injuries. This proves that Allegany can beat FH. When it is that close you have to wonder about penalties and play calling - which I always blame on coaching.

How does losing this game prove that Allegany can beat Fort Hill???

How does losing this game prove that Allegany can beat Fort Hill???

I am 3/4 of the way through the vid. The game stands for itself. Allegany could have won that game. They gave away that first touchdown and kept a Fort Hill drive alive (leading to a touchdown) on a poorly under thrown pass that was called for pass interference because the Alco soph defender never turned around.... It was a scoreless second half. So, what.... the way you asked the question just looks like you're trying to be a smart ass.

He beat Fort Hill in 2009 playoff game 35-14. But some people said the Fort Hill seniors were pissed at Appel and
layed down the second half after leading 14-0.

I am 3/4 of the way through the vid. The game stands for itself. Allegany could have won that game. They gave away that first touchdown and kept a Fort Hill drive alive (leading to a touchdown) on a poorly under thrown pass that was called for pass interference because the Alco soph defender never turned around.... It was a scoreless second half. So, what.... the way you asked the question just looks like you're trying to be a smart ass.

They way you answered my question just looks like you're looking for excuses because the game was closer than expected.

Has preaskorn excepted losing to forthill on a yearly basis? Lol
How in the heck can anybody question how hard he must have had to work to prepare his team to stay close, and have chances to get even closer, when so many were expecting a blowout? If he's that horrible of a coach how come everybody is so proud of how well Allegany played, You can't blame him for everything that goes wrong but give him no credit when his team exceeds expectations. Shouldn't he get credit for the good as well as the bad?

He beat Fort Hill in 2009 playoff game 35-14. But some people said the Fort Hill seniors were pissed at Appel and
layed down the second half after leading 14-0.
Todd divided the locker room that year, he lost half the team with some incredibly stupid decisions that were not only stupid but disrespectful. You're one decision away from alienating a whole team and ending your season. Hopefully he's learned his lesson.
I have to say for as much as people talk bad about the corn his team put up one hell of a fight. If they didn't like him or disrespected him wouldn't they have laid down?

Preaskorn has never won a State Championship... NEVER WILL!!!!
Our last 2 was
2001- Tim Kane
2005- Tom Foley interim HC for Preaskorn serving in Iraq
Preaskorn was the head coach in 2005 when they won the State Championship..
So he won a State title as a coach and player...
Foley was the interim in 2007....
Know your facts before you run your mouth...

They way you answered my question just looks like you're looking for excuses because the game was closer than expected.

Excuses? I don't have a nephew on the Alco team and I am not friends with any of their staff. And, when (or if) Allegany is eliminated I will be the biggest FH fan in this forum - as I always have been.

In short, I am giving my opinion as I see it. I always have and I always will piss somebody off, like when we start discussing Allegany championships versus FH championships.

Todd divided the locker room that year, he lost half the team with some incredibly stupid decisions that were not only stupid but disrespectful. You're one decision away from alienating a whole team and ending your season. Hopefully he's learned his lesson.
I have to say for as much as people talk bad about the corn his team put up one hell of a fight. If they didn't like him or disrespected him wouldn't they have laid down?

Ugh, was that the year he brought up a bunch of JV players? Anyhow, your points are valid. My answer would be that he shows a lack of competence in a very competitive environment. Cumberland is like Alabama against Auburn. Corn has not only shown some bad play calling but has yet to get one of his teams to execute up to the standard of his predecessors or to the standards of the team across town. Needless to say I have been fairly tough on him. But who cares. I am sure Corn doesn't.

Preaskorn was the head coach in 2005 when they won the State Championship..
So he won a State title as a coach and player...
Foley was the interim in 2007....
Know your facts before you run your mouth...
I apologize your right. It feels like it's been 30 yrs. ago when its only been 10. I got so mixed up with the radio and got the facts wrong.
2005 Preaskorn won state
2007 Tim Foley( I keep calling him Tom for some reason) won Homecoming lost States to Dunbar.
If 2007 was the last time Alco won Homecoming then when was the last time Preaskorn won Homecoming??? Was it 05??? Wow NFL Films was the last time we won homecoming...

I apologize your right. It feels like it's been 30 yrs. ago when its only been 10. I got so mixed up with the radio and got the facts wrong.
2005 Preaskorn won state
2007 Tim Foley( I keep calling him Tom for some reason) won Homecoming lost States to Dunbar.
If 2007 was the last time Alco won Homecoming then when was the last time Preaskorn won Homecoming??? Was it 05??? Wow NFL Films was the last time we won homecoming...

Yes, it has been a long time, to the point that an actual rivalry is in question. But today, it was the same old miscues. You cannot give Fort Hill a touchdown within the first minute or so (like last year) and win... (fumble, penalty and not covering a punt). Then, a mental error on a poorly thrown pass and you give FH a drive for the second touchdown. Bingo, you are down 14 points. FH never has to drive the length of the field to score. Alco even stopped FH on a 4th and short. But by then everybody knew Allegany was passing.

Yes, it has been a long time, to the point that an actual rivalry is in question. But today, it was the same old miscues. You cannot give Fort Hill a touchdown within the first minute or so (like last year) and win... (fumble, penalty and not covering a punt). Then, a mental error on a poorly thrown pass and you give FH a drive for the second touchdown. Bingo, you are down 14 points. FH never has to drive the length of the field to score. Alco even stopped FH on a 4th and short. But by then everybody knew Allegany was passing.
Yeah I thought the route was on when they were down 14-0 but they fought hard and kept the game close. Your right you cannot give a team like FH easy points and win.

How in the heck can anybody question how hard he must have had to work to prepare his team to stay close, and have chances to get even closer, when so many were expecting a blowout? If he's that horrible of a coach how come everybody is so proud of how well Allegany played, You can't blame him for everything that goes wrong but give him no credit when his team exceeds expectations. Shouldn't he get credit for the good as well as the bad?
I am hard on Preaskorn mostly because I hate his playcalling and alot of times he does'nt make adjustments when needed. I gotta give him credit today for a good gameplan. He had these boys shut down a high powered FH offense and not too many teams in the whole State can do that.

I am hard on Preaskorn mostly because I hate his playcalling and alot of times he does'nt make adjustments when needed. I gotta give him credit today for a good gameplan. He had these boys shut down a high powered FH offense and not too many teams in the whole State can do that.

Yep. They pretty much spotted FH 14 points and still played like they could win. What I think gets lost in all of this is Imes' performance. From his running to that beautiful pass he through at the end of the half, he was the best player on the field this day.

Camper 21502 you are totally wrong on this 2005 was Preaskorn's second year as head coach and won the state championship. Like I said earlier Foley was intermin coach in n 2007 and lost state championshiop. Check it out it is the facts

Yep. They pretty much spotted FH 14 points and still played like they could win. What I think gets lost in all of this is Imes' performance. From his running to that beautiful pass he through at the end of the half, he was the best player on the field this day.
I couldn't agree with you more. After watching the game twice, and seeing it in person, I feel there are a couple things nobody has really talked about that stood out. Imes td run was great, he deserves a ton of credit for the grit in getting by #2. I was shocked at the way he threw off #2 who was either trying to slap the ball away or tackle by the shoulder pads, both of which showed very poor fundamental tackling technique. He gets a lot of credit for his speed but if you can't tackle the qb once you catch him, and you cost the team 6 points, kinda negates your punt return.
Second, this fh qb who apparently is on the fast track to the greatest qb ever showed me we need to wait a while longer before crowning him. He continues to throw the ball into coverage he either doesn't understand or doesn't see. His pass right before halftime down the middle of the middle to #2 who was covered by three guys was a poor decision at best, and complete lack of awareness of the rest of the field at worst. If #2 is covered by three guys there has to be somebody open somewhere. As Toby Eirich said "he had no business throwing that ball as he had nobody open".
After watching the whole season my biggest observation is this...you can be a wing-t or you can spread the field and put the qb in the option, but you need consistency. Allegany's defense was incredible, and a good defense is going to expose a weakness, and FH's weakness appears to be they are not good enough at either of their offenses to stick with one of them and excel at it, so they are switching back and forth and that allows no rhythm or flow. I understand it looks like it's working when they are blowing people out. I get they need to be able to throw, but they have won 2 state championships in a row without being in the spread so I'd use it sparingly at best and get back to your strength.

FH weakness for sure is passing and pass defense. Make them throw, the qb made good runs but not at all impressed with the passing game. You can pass against the FH defense and run right at them. Pass defense is very vulnable. Brown held Rhodes on every route trying to cover him. One time the ref threw the flag on it then picked the flag up because Imes didn't throw the ball to him.

Let's not cherry pick holding. Lol. You guys are to much.

Guy, you are one of the most fair FH fans in this forum. So, my following comments pretty much exclude you. But I just can't avoid your reference to cherry picking.

Let's see, FH fans loaded up on the 'Rivalry' media idea attempting to glum as much exposure as possible for the game. They love the concept of the 'Kettle' and all that is homecoming week. Ugh, their most recent portion of it that is.

You see, something I have harped on for years is that a rivalry only exists between two equals. Currently, FH has a victory run of about 10% of the total games played. That's right, 8 games out of 79. So, how many times have you heard the massive put downs of Alco on FH's recent 10% run? In the proper perspective, there has been some huge cherry picking on a great rivalry.

Not only that, it is disgraceful to put down a valiant effort, ignoring the fact that there is always equal glory for effort in real, true rivalries. Perfect example being Alco's struggles against FH when the schools were in different classifications.

Worse yet are the constant put downs of Allegany's 8 championships because they were in a smaller classification. Hey! FH fans, get a clue. Your homecoming victories, including the comparative total wins, are only meaningful if you have a great rival. When you get your 8 championships it will be all the greater because you match your rival.

In closing, I have commented on the mismatch of homecoming for the last 10 years. I still blame it on coaching. But I also realize in the big picture the rivalry exists and the players as well as coaches will change. Given that both schools continue to exist.

Oh, incidentally... having watched the game I think the refs did a great job of letting the kids play. I expected a ton of penalties that just didn't happen. Alco stopped the FH offensive juggernaut and put up a valiant effort. FH is a superior 1A team.

Last edited:
FH weakness for sure is passing and pass defense. Make them throw, the qb made good runs but not at all impressed with the passing game. You can pass against the FH defense and run right at them. Pass defense is very vulnable. Brown held Rhodes on every route trying to cover him. One time the ref threw the flag on it then picked the flag up because Imes didn't throw the ball to him.

Interestingly enough, the QB stats were damn near identical:

from the Times-News
Fort Hill's Nathaniel Graves was the game's top offensive performer, running 11 times for 62 yards and completing 4 of 8 passes for 63 yards. ...

Carson Imes ran 15 times for 57 yards and completed 5 of 8 passes for 81 yards for Allegany. Sean Rhodes had three catches for 53 yards.

Not sure either team has much to brag about in passing, but the mobility of the two QBs was a big game changer for both teams. Considering they were the only two offensive TDs in the game.

Interestingly enough, the QB stats were damn near identical:

from the Times-News
Fort Hill's Nathaniel Graves was the game's top offensive performer, running 11 times for 62 yards and completing 4 of 8 passes for 63 yards. ...

Carson Imes ran 15 times for 57 yards and completed 5 of 8 passes for 81 yards for Allegany. Sean Rhodes had three catches for 53 yards.

Not sure either team has much to brag about in passing, but the mobility of the two QBs was a big game changer for both teams. Considering they were the only two offensive TDs in the game.

I think it was a fairly lazy article. You know, sometimes you have to explain the stats. Buried down the column was the mention of Imes 70 yard run. Statistically they subtract the losses from the gains, but these numbers do not tell the real story, at least not for me. Calling Graves the top performer does not accurately describe the game, really. Even by the numbers why did the Times fail to give Imes credit for the touchdown in these stats? Laziness? Homerism? Have you ever seen those comparable numbers like that without mentioning the touchdown? Hard to give the offensive performance to Graves when the other guy ran 70 yards for a touchdown. If Graves had that touchdown run this forum would be awash with 'greatest ever' comments again, and you know it.

Last edited:
I think it was a fairly lazy article. You know, sometimes you have to explain the stats. Buried down the column was the mention of Imes 70 yard run. Statistically they subtract the losses from the gains, but these numbers do not tell the real story, at least not for me. Calling Graves the top performer does not accurately describe the game, really. Even by the numbers why did the Times fail to give Imes credit for the touchdown in these stats? Laziness? Homerism? Have you ever seen those comparable numbers like that without mentioning the touchdown? Hard to give the offensive performance to Graves when the other guy ran 70 yards for a touchdown. If Graves had that touchdown run this forum would be awash with 'greatest ever' comments again, and you know it.

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that Graves ran for a td too. Where was that mentioned in those stats?

Dear God, man...This is a clip from the article, and I edited it to just show the final numbers. They do mention Imes' run, and I even stated somewhere in this seemingly endless growth of stupider and stupider posts that I was more impressed with Imes than anyone else on the field, offensively.

My point was simple, no need to make it into anymore/less than it was...both QBs were the most crucial pieces to their respective offenses - on the ground and in the air. Imes' long TD run was the longest play from scrimmage for Alco, and his stiff-arm and making Brown miss on the tackle was highlight worthy - he also completed some nice passes even if he didn't find the endzone. Likewise, Graves on completed some passes he needed to without finding the endzone in the air, ran strong and also scored on the ground, and to boot played a great game on defense as well.

Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm not trying to take away or withhold any credit. It was an article written pretty well to show how the game was basically a defensive struggle...but it was also written to FAVOR the winning team, which is how articles are written. There were kudos to Alco's defense, there were kudos to Alco's offense...but in the end...as the score indicated, Fort Hill won the battle. Their defense was a little more stout, allowing fewer yards and YES...getting subtractions by creating sacks. Those count. If you go backward as well as forward, it counts. Had Alco's defense been able to sack a few more times, FH's numbers would also be lower. They weren't.

A highlight reel does not a winner make. Winning games does. That has been determined.

theres-nothing-to-see-here.jpg

Dear God, man...This is a clip from the article, and I edited it to just show the final numbers. They do mention Imes' run, and I even stated somewhere in this seemingly endless growth of stupider and stupider posts that I was more impressed with Imes than anyone else on the field, offensively.

My point was simple, no need to make it into anymore/less than it was...both QBs were the most crucial pieces to their respective offenses - on the ground and in the air. Imes' long TD run was the longest play from scrimmage for Alco, and his stiff-arm and making Brown miss on the tackle was highlight worthy - he also completed some nice passes even if he didn't find the endzone. Likewise, Graves on completed some passes he needed to without finding the endzone in the air, ran strong and also scored on the ground, and to boot played a great game on defense as well.

Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm not trying to take away or withhold any credit. It was an article written pretty well to show how the game was basically a defensive struggle...but it was also written to FAVOR the winning team, which is how articles are written. There were kudos to Alco's defense, there were kudos to Alco's offense...but in the end...as the score indicated, Fort Hill won the battle. Their defense was a little more stout, allowing fewer yards and YES...getting subtractions by creating sacks. Those count. If you go backward as well as forward, it counts. Had Alco's defense been able to sack a few more times, FH's numbers would also be lower. They weren't.

A highlight reel does not a winner make. Winning games does. That has been determined.

theres-nothing-to-see-here.jpg

Talk about trying to nuke a comment. I also gather you like the new forum mechanics. The difference here remains: real journalism that gets to the emotions of the conflict and giving credit for the human struggle against the odds.

70 yard TDs are only worth more than 10 yard TDs in Fantasy Football.

They are still both worth 6 points in the real world.

And please, don't lecture me on what "real" journalism is. The story I quoted was Mike Mathews' write up of the game. Write ups are factual, to the point, non-editorialized accounts of whatever event they are covering. If Mike Mathews was writing a Hemingway novel as you are suggesting, i would flat-out say that is sensationalized tripe that has no place in a sports page. What you are describing would be a feature article. Mathews is covering a game, not writing a feature. The days of Suter Kegg taking 500 words to describe the sound Mark Manges' shoes made on the frozen tundra of Fort Hill Stadium on Turkey Day 1973 are long gone.

This isn't Woodward and Bernstein, this is a small circulation news paper covering a small-school rivalry in a small town.

70 yard TDs are only worth more than 10 yard TDs in Fantasy Football.

They are still both worth 6 points in the real world.

And please, don't lecture me on what "real" journalism is. The story I quoted was Mike Mathews' write up of the game. Write ups are factual, to the point, non-editorialized accounts of whatever event they are covering. If Mike Mathews was writing a Hemingway novel as you are suggesting, i would flat-out say that is sensationalized tripe that has no place in a sports page. What you are describing would be a feature article. Mathews is covering a game, not writing a feature. The days of Suter Kegg taking 500 words to describe the sound Mark Manges' shoes made on the frozen tundra of Fort Hill Stadium on Turkey Day 1973 are long gone.

This isn't Woodward and Bernstein, this is a small circulation news paper covering a small-school rivalry in a small town.

Thank you for making my point... well, maybe my sentiment. Suter Kegg was a class wordsmith and a factotum of wit. A lot of things are long gone, replaced by the shoddy representation of a 79 game rivalry reduced to a helmet photo and two-bits scrawl - more a akin to the description of a fender bender. But even Mathews' article wasn't a pure declarative piece, only box scores are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT