TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Per Cal Preps:

Frederick Douglass (PG) favored by 5 points over Fairmont Heights
Dunbar favored by 39 points over Reginald Lewis
Fort Hill favored by 24 points over Catoctin
Havre de Grace favored by 18 points over Perryville

Oakdale favored by 5 points over Damascus (interesting)

Bluefield favored by 17 points over Keyser

Last edited:
Wow. Very good predictions. I’m wondering How Douglas will do against Dunbar. Dunbar blowing out mergenthaler looks even more impressive now that they are in the 4a semifinal.

Smaller crowd this Saturday so far. I was just told there are 4 Cumberland youth league teams down state in a tournament.

Perhaps some day folks will realize there were just under 20,000 students in Allegany County in 1980. Now, there are just over 8,000 students in Allegany County. Thus, it should be expected attendance at games will be sufficiently less than in the past, regardless of school.

Perhaps some day folks will realize there were just under 20,000 students in Allegany County in 1980. Now, there are just over 8,000 students in Allegany County. Thus, it should be expected attendance at games will be sufficiently less than in the past, regardless of school.
how much did the population decrease since last year when FH played Melbourne?

There were folks from all over the area present that night with the hope that FH would lose. Not to mention that game was hyped to the max. Of course, FH disappointed many in attendance that night when the Sentinels won.

Population does matter.
FH also packed their side against allegany last year, as well as Lackey. I understand population matters but since last year the attendance has dropped significantly. FH fans seem to be becoming very selective as to when they show up. Normally a local game, Southern, would have filled the stands, yet it didn't. Today should have done the same, but it didn't. Does this mean the population since last year has dropped off so much that instead of there being 2,000 people on the home side there is maybe 1,000? You can argue population causes a drop but this drop is pretty significant. I'm saying it has a lot more to do with football just doesn't mean what it used to in Cumberland.

Reactions: OneRing
FH also packed their side against allegany last year, as well as Lackey. I understand population matters but since last year the attendance has dropped significantly. FH fans seem to be becoming very selective as to when they show up. Normally a local game, Southern, would have filled the stands, yet it didn't. Today should have done the same, but it didn't. Does this mean the population since last year has dropped off so much that instead of there being 2,000 people on the home side there is maybe 1,000? You can argue population causes a drop but this drop is pretty significant. I'm saying it has a lot more to do with football just doesn't mean what it used to in Cumberland.

Hey, I will not argue that point. I chose to stay home today and listen to radio coverage and watch the MD - OSU game. To be honest, I don’t believe it means as much to folks today as it once did.

Sadly, many of the year-to-year die hard fans are getting older. With that being said, the lack of population does have much to do with attendance, especially when fans anticipate a blowout in the playoffs.

Two FH playoff games with an average score of 57-7 are not too enjoyable to watch. I really don’t expect anything different last week.

I chose to listen to the radio, and watch one hell of a MD game. If the MD game didn’t start the way it did I would have very likely would have went to the game. I will not miss the state semifinals for anything!

Reactions: 4R341
Today, a blowout was likely. Not to mention, UMD vs OSU...

Reactions: cumbfanatic

Looking at the reclassification numbers, FH (566) now has fewer students than Allegany (588) and about the same as Catoctin (569). If I understand the numbers, the 566 FH students are the total of 9-12.

With half the enrollment usually boys ( about 283), FH - to fully field freshman, JV and varsity the way they do - would have well over 100 boys playing football (about 120?)... or almost half the males in the school: remarkable, when you consider the depth of talent.

It is easy to always compare Allegany to FH. Maybe Allegany and Catoctin are closer to normal 1A level talent. Maybe FH for Fort Hill means 'Football High' - surely at this classification level they are practically in a league of their own.

(Watching the Commercial vid, Catoctin came unglued very early with Alco level support for FH in the stands.)

The enrollment numbers younsee from the MPSSAA is only grades 9-11. Fort Hill has had over 100 kids in the football program for a few years now. I am not sure about this year.

Looking at the reclassification numbers, FH (566) now has fewer students than Allegany (588) and about the same as Catoctin (569). If I understand the numbers, the 566 FH students are the total of 9-12.

With half the enrollment usually boys ( about 283), FH - to fully field freshman, JV and varsity the way they do - would have well over 100 boys playing football (about 120?)... or almost half the males in the school: remarkable, when you consider the depth of talent.

It is easy to always compare Allegany to FH. Maybe Allegany and Catoctin are closer to normal 1A level talent. Maybe FH for Fort Hill means 'Football High' - surely at this classification level they are practically in a league of their own.

(Watching the Commercial vid, Catoctin came unglued very early with Alco level support for FH in the stands.)
Lag I agree with the comparison to alco support. You can talk about rain one week, cold the next, youth league another time, competition another, but it all comes down to the same thing...the stands aren't half full..very sad.

Reactions: towpath94
I moved here 14 years ago and I’ve always thought it was weird that FH fans sit on both sides of the stadium. The home side would look much better if everyone sat together. I know the numbers wouldn’t change, but it would look better and sound better. My opinion...

I moved here 14 years ago and I’ve always thought it was weird that FH fans sit on both sides of the stadium. The home side would look much better if everyone sat together. I know the numbers wouldn’t change, but it would look better and sound better. My opinion...
True, but some of the FH fans are too loudmouthed. Not to mention, God help you if you accidentally sit in one of their seats. Of course, there are some that carry over to the visitor's side, too. It's sad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT