ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA

LHSlancerFAN

Franchise Poster
Sep 4, 2003
Man, people are not happy with the PIAA! St. Joseph's Prep from Philly won a PIAA title against Harrisburg, a public school, using a QB who lives in New Jersey. Not sure how anyone can argue that this is ok. Maryland has plenty of issues but keeping the public's and privates separate is a no brainer in my opinion.

As would DeMatha, Good Counsel, Calvert Hall, Boys Latin. All would have an enrollment under 600 give or take.95% of private schools in Maryland would be a low 2A or high 1A class if they played in the MPSSAA. Not being an expert,but if you would ever open up the playoff format in MD to private schools for football playoffs,they would be top dog in Annapolis year in year out. I cannot see any 1a program including Fort Hill or Dunbar challenging St.Francis or the other 4. And my opinion would give Damascus at the 2A level and Linganore at the 3A level issues.Hope this never happens in the future. But PA does have a ligit point for being pissed off. I’m sure there are other states that throw privates in the mix with public schools

Are they pissed because Public's play Privates or because they have a player from NJ?

How long have public's played privates in the PA playoffs?

MD has players from DE and DC on various public school rosters. Of course none of those players are leading their teams to state titles, so nobody cares.

Are they pissed because Public's play Privates or because they have a player from NJ?

How long have public's played privates in the PA playoffs?

MD has players from DE and DC on various public school rosters. Of course none of those players are leading their teams to state titles, so nobody cares.

From what I am reading, they are upset that publics and privates compete together because they play by very different rules. The fact that a PA State Champion was led by a QB from another state just helps prove their point. I believe they have been playing each other for some time and it seems to have come to a head this year, even before St. Joseph Preps win.

We all know public schools in MD have kids that are out of district, its no secret and its basically one of those things that you have to accept regardless of whether you like it or not. We live in a time where it's become acceptable to "ring chase;" however, it's one thing for a kid to play at a different school in the County, its another to play in a whole different state. We have to draw the line somewhere and it seems like a state boundary would be a good place to start.

Interesting. I know Wyoming Seminary has had some out of area kids on their wrestling team in the past. If the rules havent changed by now, I dont think they will anytime soon.

Found this article from a couple years ago that lists how each state handles private schools, some may have changed since this article but its interesting to see, just browsing it appears that Maryland is one of only a handful of states that do not combine publics and privates in some manner.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...nal-fight-between-public-and-private-schools/

As far as the PA issue, Philly is literally a few minute drive to Jersey there shouldn't be any outrage that some kids would come from there to go to a private school. That would be like saying you were upset BW beat someone with a kid from Ridgeley leading the team. No matter how you multiply or divide the enrollment numbers or shift based on performance the privates will always have inherent advantages especially in the metro areas to attract students that smaller publics especially will never have.

As would DeMatha, Good Counsel, Calvert Hall, Boys Latin. All would have an enrollment under 600 give or take.95% of private schools in Maryland would be a low 2A or high 1A class if they played in the MPSSAA. Not being an expert,but if you would ever open up the playoff format in MD to private schools for football playoffs,they would be top dog in Annapolis year in year out. I cannot see any 1a program including Fort Hill or Dunbar challenging St.Francis or the other 4. And my opinion would give Damascus at the 2A level and Linganore at the 3A level issues.Hope this never happens in the future. But PA does have a ligit point for being pissed off. I’m sure there are other states that throw privates in the mix with public schools

Fort hill is every bit as good or better than Damascus or Linganore. St. Francis is at a different level from the public schools in Maryland. If you get a chance watch highland springs from Virginia or Colquit county from Georgia . It would take that level to play with st Francis this year. There are a lot of levels in high school football and Maryland public schools are not there.

Found this article from a couple years ago that lists how each state handles private schools, some may have changed since this article but its interesting to see, just browsing it appears that Maryland is one of only a handful of states that do not combine publics and privates in some manner.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...nal-fight-between-public-and-private-schools/

As far as the PA issue, Philly is literally a few minute drive to Jersey there shouldn't be any outrage that some kids would come from there to go to a private school. That would be like saying you were upset BW beat someone with a kid from Ridgeley leading the team. No matter how you multiply or divide the enrollment numbers or shift based on performance the privates will always have inherent advantages especially in the metro areas to attract students that smaller publics especially will never have.

I have no issue with kids going out of state to private schools, my comment about boundaries was in reference to public schools; however, this does show the inherent advantage that privates have over publics as you mentioned. But I will say that publics are beginning to act like privates and that is very discouraging to me. Public high school football used to be about pride and commitment to your community and I feel that every year we stray a little bit further away from those values. As I mentioned above, "ring chasing" is the new thing and transfers have just become something that no one bats an eye at anymore. Don't get me wrong, Linganore has had a few transfers, but in the grand scheme of things, we have won our titles with kids that have grown up playing in the Linganore feeder system and that is something that I am very proud of and I hope it stays that way. I want to win just as much as anyone, but there are plenty of lessons to be learned from high school athletics that are far more important than winning.

Fort hill is every bit as good or better than Damascus or Linganore.

If this new playoff system goes into effect, maybe we will be able to decide this on the field :)

Here is a link to an article regarding this issue. Apparently privates were admitted to the PIAA by legislation in 1972 and the PIAA is saying they are powerless to make any changes without a change to the law, although they do admit that there are "competitive fairness" issues.

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/piaa-...-public-private-playoffs-cannot-be-separated/

That article is very vague about the 1972 so called "legislation". Public and private in PA did not combine until the last 10 years or so. That is why teams like Roman Catholic and Father Judge had to step out of the ACIT, which was very recent.

Public and Private should not be competing together unless private schools who rely solely on recruiting were placed in the highest division.

That article is very vague about the 1972 so called "legislation". Public and private in PA did not combine until the last 10 years or so. That is why teams like Roman Catholic and Father Judge had to step out of the ACIT, which was very recent.

It's only the Philly Catholic League that joined about a decade ago, a few years after the Public League had joined the PIAA. Other private schools joined starting in 1972.

https://www.citizensvoice.com/sports/pciaa-faded-away-41-years-ago-1.1829424

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT