ADVERTISEMENT

Annapolis Observations

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
What a game!
Most exciting title game I've seen since Dunbar vs. Fort Hill 2008. Even more considering this had local county bragging rights.

Most thought this game would go to the wire assuming penalties and turnovers were even, and they were. Although I have heard/read some rumblings that officials called too much late in the game instead of letting the players decide it as they had most of the entire game.

The penalties were relatively even.
Fort Hill - 6 penalties for 53 yards
Mtn Ridge - 5 penalties for 31 yards

There were some late game holding calls on the Mtn Ridge defense that extended a few drives. There were some late game calls on the Fort Hill offense that ended drives.

My last two cents on the referee call debates: It is odd that the last two games FH has played using out of town officials that the 10 and 15 yard judgement call variety flags were cut below half. What this says is that local officials are looking for penalties. Out of town officials are looking to let the kids play. They are different philosophies and we see this even moreso on the basketball court. I have heard coaches say up here in the west refs call the game tight on the hardwood. Down state not so much. Personally, please give me the officials who let the kids decide games. The less penalties called the better.

In other rules debates...yes teams that chose to kick field goals and PATs are at a disadvantage in the state title game with the 5 foot shorter field goal posts. The MPSSAA won't fix the issue due to availablity of fields. I do like playing at the Naval Academy and at the Ravens Stadium and even College Park a long time ago. I'm not sure how hard it is to replace a FG post at these places but I would find out if it's possible.

Two things I collected after the game that players seemed to confirm on the FH side is that the first FG attempt by FH that sailed wide would have been good on a high school field goal post width. Second, they felt the 2 point conversion play in the first half that was ruled no good was incorrect. Players on top the pile said #2 for FH clearly extended and got the ball over the goal line, which would have made the game 15-14 FH. I will have to watch the replay.

DEFENSE
The FH second half defense won this game. Can't put it any more blunt. 23 yards and 1 first down allowed. The entire second half was played deep on the Mtn Ridge side of the field. Just to repeat from previous posts, the Mtn Ridge red zone defense has also been amazing. I don't know how many times FH got the ball inside the 30 and could not muster anything more than a 2 yard gain. Great defensive efforts by both teams after settling in with a 14-13 game.

WHAT A LOSS CAN MEAN - CREDIT THE FH COACHING STAFF
I remember after the last time these two met back in early October in Frostburg wondering how a losing team that rarely ever loses handles a loss. Sometimes it can be powerful. Using hindsight one has to believe/know that loss was worth more than can be described. FH learned and adjusted. Teams sometimes learn more in a loss than a win depending on the coaching staff. Many of the true FH fans and ex-players were critical of many things, including myself. We're just not used to losing 30-8 if at all and spoiled as hell. It's at this time all those people, including myself, stand up and acknowledge the job this coaching staff did with X's and O's adjustments that made this team better. Little things only a true understanding of football can comprehend. Now that the season is over and I can divulge things I should not at times...

- FH changed their cadence. It wasn't easy. Mtn Ridge was massively jumping the count in the first meeting.
- FH started to huddle. Mtn Ridge was out guessing FH tendencies when the FH offense lined up in formation and called the play with wrist bands.
- FH eventually made a move at fullback
- blocking basics changed because too many defenders were going unblocked
- FH at times stopped pulling the backside guard due to penetration
- we saw more I-formation and motion sets that opened up new play calling

There are other things. Don't get me wrong, I felt there was a great deal of extremely conservative offensive play calls in the second half by FH with their best player lined up at receiver as a decoy. But most of the problems were a case of a very, very good Mtn Ridge defense. In short, if you were questioning this staff after the loss, thank them now. Fantastic job!

If I could change anything moving forward, always being the armchair QB, it's adding a passing game coordinator. Someone with experience playing receiver, someone with experience that understands tree routes and running crisp routes and how to help your QB s scrambling. Doesn't mean they have to get away from the wing-T pound the ball philosophy but developing some type of passing game has always been a huge weakness.

OTHER STATE TITLE GAMES
Could not help but see some Oakdale fans in Annapolis, who played right after this FH vs. Mtn Ridge game, secretly pulling for FH to justify their own confidence levels. Oakdale lost 14-21 to Damascus. Can't help but wonder if FH or Mtn Ridge could have won that classification state title as well. To repeat my thoughts...FH, Mtn Ridge and Dunbar could win any of these classification titles except Class 4A. COVID weakened football at many schools. Allegany County however, did a much better job of handling it. Dedication!

MOVING FORWARD
After 100 congratulatory conversations last night it's always been my take during this title run that began in 2013 is that FH always loses a ton of starters every single year. The preseason chatter has always been "but FH lost most of their starters". Well, yeah. They live and die with veterans. It's the senior laden teams that win championships. We see this at the Final Four hoops level. Young kids can be great, one and done types. But it's the team of seniors always making the postseason run.

The biggest FH needs for next year will be at defensive back and who plays QB. The later is always an open question because it's usually a senior behind center. There is a great deal of unused offensive skill talent waiting in the wings again and many of this years stars were sophomores and juniors, especially on the line.

See y'all in 8 months. Now comes the usual offseason task of filling a schedule.

Last edited:
I felt like it was the correct call as well. That being said, I would have liked to have seen #32 either lead or take the ball in that situation. Similar to the TD he scored at MR. Was he not available on offense at all? Just curious.

Reactions: ravemwp
Or they could have just kicked the extra point. No reason to go for 2 there. In the end FH won, but they spent the rest of the game chasing that point. Just my opinion. I've never been a fan of going for 2 unless you need to. Especially if you have a reliable kicker. I realize that todays coaches are more aggressive, but I don't have to agree with them. LOL

I had no problem with the decision to go for two after a defensive offsides moved the ball to the 1.5 yard line. I did not care for the play call at all though. #2 right up the guards rear. Would have used a bigger back to do that.

We need a coach that can teach route running. For many years I have watched receivers just run to an area. Proper route running will greatly help the QB. You wonder why many of FH QBs struggle early in the season? It’s because the receivers aren’t taught how to get separation. The kids that do, do so on the merit of their own abilities.

Reactions: Tony54
We need a coach that can teach route running. For many years I have watched receivers just run to an area. Proper route running will greatly help the QB. You wonder why many of FH QBs struggle early in the season? It’s because the receivers aren’t taught how to get separation. The kids that do, do so on the merit of their own abilities.
That's something MR does well. Especially #11. Of course he'll be the QB next year.

MOUNTAIN RIDGE DEFENSE
I know people talk about Uma and their wide open offense that racks up points. But what Mtn Ridge did really well was...TACKLE.

Their defense was extremely stout all year. In the two games with FH no one pulled off a big run against that Miner defense. Yea there were a few rare decent gainers of like 25 or 30 yards but FH made a living all year making opposing defenses pay with those long TD runs. Not against the Miners, not one time. Credit them.

In the 4th quarter at Annapolis FH had the ball three times inside the Mtn Ridge 30 yard line. They came away with 3 points and had to claw to get that. In Frostburg at the first match up I think FH had the ball inside the red zone 4 times and came away with 6 points. Fantastic red zone defense by the Miners.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT