ADVERTISEMENT

Okay, let's get this week started.

FH needs to not fumble 6 times and commit 10 penalties and MR needs to hope FH fumbles 6 times and commits 10 Penalties again.

I see the first happening and FH winning in a blowout 35-7
My thoughts exactly

In the regular season, MR played a near perfect game and FH played one of their most uninspired games I've seen in a while. MR wins if that happens again. And that's the only way I see the result being the same.

FH 27-Ridge 14

If Ridge can get on FH early, beat em' up a bit and discourage them like they did the first time around then they'll win. If not, Fort Hill. 2 scores.

In all four playoff games Fort Hill has thrown the ball 5 times. That's equals 1.25 passes per game.
If FH cannot establish the run again they cannot ask their QB to throw for 200 yards and win.

If Fort Hill MUST throw for 200 yards to win any game, they will never win that game. Regardless of who they're playing.

FH must stop MR's run game and force them to pass more. This includes containing #8's feet. If not, FH will lose. In the first game MR ran the ball up FH's backside with little resistance. I think FH will be able to win this one in a close game.

FH 28 MR 21

Do you think that Mt. Ridge will use the same defensive scheme? I know that the big push up the middle while you pressure from the outside was very effective in game one. I'm also sure that we will see some more trick plays from the Ridge. My personal favorite was the one they didn't run. It was the fourth quarter when they broke their huddle, and one player went to the sideline as if to go off the field. The ref didn't realize that no one had come in and thought that he caught them with twelve players. In reality, they were going to sneak him into the endzone. BTW the Ref picked up the flag but it was funny watching him count the Ridge players.

Fort Hill needs to do three things; catch kicks, maintain blocks, and eliminate penalties.

At any rate, I'm thinking that we're going to see a whale of a game.

I'm going to lay everything on the FH play calling. FH has got to get first downs, move the chains, and keep the clock running. Three and four yards a pop would drive MR crazy. If you keep their offense off the field and your defense not on the field all game it will frustrate MR and wear them down. They are going to crowd the line of scrimmage we know that. If FH tries to throw 30 and 40 yard passes instead of bubble screens, slants, passes to the backs, they will be playing right into MR's hands and they will get the qb body slammed AGAIN. Do not pass in obvious passing situations because it will only make things worse. If you are behind the chains because of penalties and you try to pass you will be sorry. Misdirection will work, a wide receiver reverse, inside reverse, end around, qb sneaks, all things that have not been done this year so it's iffy they could pull these off. MR has had a better year. They have been consistent all year. They have played like a team that lost the championship last year and has had revenge on their minds all year. The only thing I can say FH has is watching MR celebrate after a regular season game like it was the super bowl, and hearing the coaches say they "worked all weekend" to come up with a plan to beat FH and it worked has got to be more than enough motivation for coaches and players to bring it and act like the team that has been there and only celebrates state championships not regular season games.

Reactions: Dwj21 and 4R341
I'm going to lay everything on the FH play calling. FH has got to get first downs, move the chains, and keep the clock running. Three and four yards a pop would drive MR crazy. If you keep their offense off the field and your defense not on the field all game it will frustrate MR and wear them down. They are going to crowd the line of scrimmage we know that. If FH tries to throw 30 and 40 yard passes instead of bubble screens, slants, passes to the backs, they will be playing right into MR's hands and they will get the qb body slammed AGAIN. Do not pass in obvious passing situations because it will only make things worse. If you are behind the chains because of penalties and you try to pass you will be sorry. Misdirection will work, a wide receiver reverse, inside reverse, end around, qb sneaks, all things that have not been done this year so it's iffy they could pull these off. MR has had a better year. They have been consistent all year. They have played like a team that lost the championship last year and has had revenge on their minds all year. The only thing I can say FH has is watching MR celebrate after a regular season game like it was the super bowl, and hearing the coaches say they "worked all weekend" to come up with a plan to beat FH and it worked has got to be more than enough motivation for coaches and players to bring it and act like the team that has been there and only celebrates state championships not regular season games.
Yeah, with all of the speed and one-on-one ability FH has, I've never understood why they don't throw short passes - especially screens. If you're hellbent on being a 1970's "pound-it-up-the-middle" team, you better keep them honest. And, the 30- to 40-yard pass attempts against a good pass-defense team are like calling "edge" when flipping a two-sided coin.

If Fort Hill MUST throw for 200 yards to win any game, they will never win that game. Regardless of who they're playing.
LOL. But not true.
I always wanted to see FH throw the ball 20-30 times against the likes of Southern, MATHS, Silver Oak, Carrick, etc. Teams everyone knew would be a second half running clock. I always thought...go ahead and get up 14-0 on those teams in the first quarter with your usual play calling and then throw it every down. You cannot develop the passing game without real game repetition. Used to get so frustrated watching FH beat MATHS with belly plays the whole game and then throw about 7 passes up by 35 points that only pissed off the other team's coach. I once joked with Coach Appel that I wasn't going to get MATHS back up here unless he threw the ball 20 times when the game was still meaningful. Never happened.

Oh well, that's why I call plays from a recliner. Easier said than done there.

FH must get their play makers involved. In game one I believe Wertz who had a nice game got 20 touches as an undersized fullback trying to pound the middle of a strong MR defensive front ad nauseum. If remembering correctly, Willis, and Allen may have had a combined 12 touches. Neither had a touch or 2 in the second, and third quarter combined. I remember FH in 3 wide sets a large portion of the game with the outcome still in doubt. Not just wide but with Willis, Allen, and Palmisano all spread out to the numbers. I think Wertz may have out touched these 3 combined. Couldn't figure out why the FH coaching staff decided to take two of their best playmakers out of the game. Not using these guys to attack MR by getting them the ball is space, and attacking the edges with speed played right into MR hands. I hope FH staff learned something. Daniels at fullback will help this time around. Note to FH coaching staff. It's a new day and age. You have deep, and interchangeable depth and talent at the skill positions. If the square peg won't fit in the round hole, have a plan B. Make adjustments. Both teams have equal talent, but I believe FH has the edge with skill depth. Mainly FH has to play with passion, which they seemed to lack first time around. I know that for the first time in along time FH must play as the hunter instead of the hunted. Something unfamiliar to most of these student athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4R341 and Tony54
FH must get their play makers involved. In game one I believe Wertz who had a nice game got 20 touches as an undersized fullback trying to pound the middle of a strong MR defensive front ad nauseum. If remembering correctly, Willis, and Allen may have had a combined 12 touches. Neither had a touch or 2 in the second, and third quarter combined. I remember FH in 3 wide sets a large portion of the game with the outcome still in doubt. Not just wide but with Willis, Allen, and Palmisano all spread out to the numbers. I think Wertz may have out touched these 3 combined. Couldn't figure out why the FH coaching staff decided to take two of their best playmakers out of the game. Not using these guys to attack MR by getting them the ball is space, and attacking the edges with speed played right into MR hands. I hope FH staff learned something. Daniels at fullback will help this time around. Note to FH coaching staff. It's a new day and age. You have deep, and interchangeable depth and talent at the skill positions. If the square peg won't fit in the round hole, have a plan B. Make adjustments. Both teams have equal talent, but I believe FH has the edge with skill depth. Mainly FH has to play with passion, which they seemed to lack first time around. I know that for the first time in along time FH must play as the hunter instead of the hunted. Something unfamiliar to most of these student athletes.
Yep.

Special Teams! MR punter was key in first game as he made FH drive the field. Penalties and turnovers more apt to happen when you must go 80 yards instead of 30. FH has lived in opponents' territory in playoffs. If MR wins field position battle again, they should win the game. But if FH can block a punt or return a punt or kickoff to flip field position, FH should win.

Special Teams! MR punter was key in first game as he made FH drive the field. Penalties and turnovers more apt to happen when you must go 80 yards instead of 30. FH has lived in opponents' territory in playoffs. If MR wins field position battle again, they should win the game. But if FH can block a punt or return a punt or kickoff to flip field position, FH should win.
FH had four straight kickoff returns flagged.

It wasn't the kicker who kept pinning FH back deep in their own territory, it was the refs.

FH had four straight kickoff returns flagged.

It wasn't the kicker who kept pinning FH back deep in their own territory, it was the refs.
And let’s not forget Kenny Johnson not throwing the flag when the Ridge kid slammed FHs QB right in front of him. Kenny won’t be there to save Ridge this time. Shame I have to say that about him but he was a problem that night

I am blown away that mountain Ridge did not cover the receiver. They stayed 15 yards downfield. should be easy money if the coaches are paying attention.

Reactions: ravemwp
I was watching some old homecoming games featuring Alco's Scott Bauer. Damn, what a QB. He could run and had perfect touch on his throws. And accurate as hell. MR's QB is on that level of talent. If he stays cool in the pocket, the MR passing game will certain be up there. Maybe not 200 yards, but I bet darn near 150.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT