ADVERTISEMENT

Official Predictions for Fort Hill vs Douglass

I watched all of the Douglass playoff games on video. I hate making predictions because people use it against you as no one can be right all the time. If I was right all the time I would be living the high life in Vegas. So take what I say with a grain of salt please.

The Douglass vs. Dunbar game looked like sloppy sandlot. It was so bad it was hard to watch. I still believe Dunbar is the better team but they royally stunk last week. The Poets run a deep pistol offense and it was 50/50 whether their center could even get the snap back, which killed a few drives. That was for starters in the heavy rain. Dropped passes (I counted five), fumbles, penalties on key plays - one that negated a 70 yard TD run. Douglass scored on two very long runs off broken tackles. The week before in the regional final I watched Fairmont Heights go up and down the field on Douglass in the 2nd half after being down 14-0. Douglass easily could have lost all three playoff games including Lackey. Honestly, I see undisciplined football.

The Douglass QB is a sophomore. He isn't a killer threat to run and he has 4 TDs to 8 INTs on the year. The Douglass damage has come mostly from senior running back Cameron Munoz. If he breaks a few tackles and gets into the open field he can score. They run a single veer offense with a great deal of single back / double tight end sets. They have a spread package but usually stick to a 2 WR set. They run the ball 64% and throw it 36% so they get some decent balance.

The defense is a 4-3 or 3-4 base with a 2 deep safety. They succeed on that side of the ball with athleticism,, not pure power and size. I don't think we will see a two-deep safety against FH though. They are athletic so I don't see teams in shot gun or pistol having any success, which is all Douglass saw in the playoffs. You have to line up and go right at them quick. Henceforth...a wing T attack. FH is well fitted for doing this.

I think FH has the better line (which usually is a key indicator). The FH defense does not take a back seat in the speed department. They definitely have a better kicking game. Douglass really struggles there. Man, I hate to say this but I don't see anything on video that tells me Douglass is a sound football team. I can see FH getting on them pretty good. But if like the other playoff games, Douglass gets out on top early and keeps it close they obviously have been successful in that role. All their games were close, I see the other teams losing because they made the monster mistakes. That is a credit to Douglass though. Undisciplined they may be but I don't see them making the big mistakes. If FH continues to protect the ball and cut the penalties as they have the last half of the season while not underestimating Douglass they should be fine. Hopefully beating Dunbar made them well aware.

Coach Pinkney has been around a long, long time. He a'int no fool and I think anyone associated with FH football has nothing but respect for this man 365 days a year as a coach and a person. Do not underestimate him.

I will close by using an analogy I have used many times: Douglass cannot beat FH by a significant amount on the scoreboard. FH can. I don't see it going that way however but it's a good take on who I think is the better team.

Last edited:
Rain looks to be fading as an issue. I believe this helps FH quite a bit. Instead of 9 - 6 FH, I think it will more likely be 26 - 6 FH. Without the rain I see FH keeping control of the ball on the Douglass side of the field throughout the game.

Reactions: 4R341
Rain looks to be fading as an issue. I believe this helps FH quite a bit. Instead of 9 - 6 FH, I think it will more likely be 26 - 6 FH. Without the rain I see FH keeping control of the ball on the Douglass side of the field throughout the game.
I think you may be right, Lags. I think the rain helped FH vs. HDG a lot.

Reactions: Lagmeister
The one aspect you can't predict is speed. Douglass has good speed across the board and good athletes. This is the one aspect I have no idea how FH will handle.

How can you say that? Do you really think HdG would've fumbled every snap on a dry field? C'mon, man...geeze.

Well, we would have seen more catches from Deion Sanders but then also more unsportsmanlike penalities.....so it's a wash I think.

Still looking at their losses... all from good non 1A teams with winning records this year. Don’t be surprised if they shut down the FH running game.

Reactions: TDHelmick and 4R341
Still looking at their losses... all from good non 1A teams with winning records this year. Don’t be surprised if they shut down the FH running game.

Yes, we see this in both losses to Friendship and Dunbar last season. It's a problem for sure if the other team stops the run. At least FH has an incredible defense to counter if so.

Reactions: Argox66
Yes, we see this in both losses to Friendship and Dunbar last season. It's a problem for sure if the other team stops the run. At least FH has an incredible defense to counter if so.
Hope I’m wrong and this team can assert its will on both sides of the line

Ouch! We are now looking at solid rain (90% chance) starting at 2PM and probably continuing through the game. That puts somewhat of a dagger in FH's kicking game and increases the turnover potential.

I'm adjusting the game to tossup.

Ouch! We are now looking at solid rain (90% chance) starting at 2PM and probably continuing through the game. That puts somewhat of a dagger in FH's kicking game and increases the turnover potential.

They've played in rain all season. If it does rain I think it will have minimal effect on what FH will be able to do

Reactions: Waggle Pass
They've played in rain all season. If it does rain I think it will have minimal effect on what FH will be able to do

I hope you are correct in this game. My earlier projection was based on FH's kicking game: getting maybe 4 or more field goals, pinning Douglass deep on their side of the field and generating turnovers. I think the rain levels things out..... it surely did for Dunbar vs. Douglass.

And now they play the game.

I hope you are correct in this game. My earlier projection was based on FH's kicking game: getting maybe 4 or more field goals, pinning Douglass deep on their side of the field and generating turnovers. I think the rain levels things out..... it surely did for Dunbar vs. Douglass.

And now they play the game.
Dunbar had trouble getting good snaps like grace did. I think 3 will still be big in this game.

The rain will benefit FH and give them the advantage.

If Douglass is as hapless against the run as HDG then FH will not have to kick distant field goals to secure a significant lead. It would appear that a tremendous potential for FH would be the long field goal in a close game.

If the game isn't close, which is usually the case, then having to kick one in the rain doesn't matter. I have been presupposing that Douglass may be the best team FH has played so far. They were the ones who benefited from bad weather against Dunbar, not the other way around.

When it's wet is when the kickoffs have not always gone in the end zone. If you kick to Douglass and they have a chance at a return, advantage Douglass.

If Douglass is as hapless against the run as HDG then FH will not have to kick distant field goals to secure a significant lead. It would appear that a tremendous potential for FH would be the long field goal in a close game.

If the game isn't close, which is usually the case, then having to kick one in the rain doesn't matter. I have been presupposing that Douglass may be the best team FH has played so far. They were the ones who benefited from bad weather against Dunbar, not the other way around.
Good points but I think the rain will take away the only advantage Douglass has which is speed.

I take it back... they’ve made adjustments already and just broke off for a big TD early.

7-0 Sentinels

Douglass responds and scores gets a 2-pt conversion and the Sentinels trail 8-7.

It’s going to get interesting

Hurtling penalty? What?!? Ugh

Not throwing on 3rd and 11. Douglass has it defended.

Guess what? You think Douglass knows FH can’t throw yet?

Sentinels getting no pressure on Douglass QB. He has plenty of time.

End of 1

8-7 Douglass

Douglass responds and scores gets a 2-pt conversion and the Sentinels trail 8-7.

It’s going to get interesting
Douglass gets away with 5 downs in this series. Obviously stopped the kid on the 4th and 1 but the refs gave the penalty instead of the turnover in downs.
I could be wrong about the spot, did the TV have anything to say in it?

Douglass gets away with 5 downs in this series. Obviously stopped the kid on the 4th and 1 but the refs gave the penalty instead of the turnover in downs.
I could be wrong about the spot, did the TV have anything to say in it?

FH coaches did not argue it. I thought he was stopped too.

Last edited:
Douglas is doing what FH needed to do more. Slants and short passes will force FH to play honest and will open up the run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT