ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Concerns

Tony54

All State Poster
Nov 17, 2018
I re-watched the game on NFHS just to verify that Mountain Ridge lined up 5,6 and 7 men on the line of scrimmage. I am not a coach but I thought that it was play calling 101 to throw some swing passes and bubble screens to loosen up the defense so you could run the football. I think that there were only two swing passes thrown the entire game and both of those were very successful. Someone on here please explain to me why that was not used or why it would not work?

don’t get me wrong I’m extremely grateful for the win. I just think it should have been an easy victory instead of a nailbiter!

I was looking around for Barry latimore on the sideline🤣😂

Last edited:
I posted that FH would have to do this to win. But don't expect it. When a team throws 5 passes in 4 playoff games, that's what they do. As frustrating as it can be, the results cannot be denied.

I posted that FH would have to do this to win. But don't expect it. When a team throws 5 passes in 4 playoff games, that's what they do. As frustrating as it can be, the results cannot be denied.
you said it perfectly earlier. The only reason Fort Hill won this game was because of the defense. It’s been lights out all year. If a talented defensive team wants to beat Fort Hill the formula is right there. The swing passes are easily executed and then we could have pounded the ball right down the field.
I just hope no talented teams we play in the future saw this game🤣.

No disrespect to Mountain Ridge. That was a heck of a football team. One of the very best tackling teams I have ever seen.

I re-watched the game on NFHS just to verify that Mountain Ridge lined up 5,6 and 7 men on the line of scrimmage. I am not a coach but I thought that it was play calling 101 to throw some swing passes and bubble screens to loosen up the defense so you could run the football. I think that there were only two swing passes thrown the entire game and both of those were very successful. Someone on here please explain to me why that was not used or why it would not work?

don’t get me wrong I’m extremely grateful for the win. I just think it should have been an easy victory instead of a nailbiter!

I was looking around for Barry latimore on the sideline🤣😂
I do not think this staff, who were all under the last coach, have any idea how to incorporate what we have all been screaming for because they have never been part of a program that did it. They are using what they know. Don't know if anybody will remember this but FH went to the wing-t kicking and screaming, and weren't nearly as successful as Allegany...until Zach's dad John joined the FH staff...then it was off and running at a totally different level. We need someone to join the staff who knows how to throw out of the wing-t with very easy short/simple passes if this staff can't figure it out.

Reactions: Tony54
Coach Alkire is 2 for 2 in state championship appearances, as is the OC and most everyone else on the staff. He and the crew have defeated some really good teams including both the 1A and 3A state runner ups, solid 4A Old Mill twice - did I mention winning back to back state titles?

I get the whole analyzing xs and os deal, it's kind of fun and makes us all feel like we know what we're talking about. But can we step back and at least call it like it is - evidently this crew knows wtf they are doing. Cause it hasn't not worked yet.

Coach Alkire is 2 for 2 in state championship appearances, as is the OC and most everyone else on the staff. He and the crew have defeated some really good teams including both the 1A and 3A state runner ups, solid 4A Old Mill twice - did I mention winning back to back state titles?

I get the whole analyzing xs and os deal, it's kind of fun and makes us all feel like we know what we're talking about. But can we step back and at least call it like it is - evidently this crew knows wtf they are doing. Cause it hasn't not worked yet.
let’s call it what it is. The 1 a class is terrible without Mountain Ridge. this Fort Hill team was extremely talented. I emphasize the word extremely. I see things. Like running out of bounds instead of cutting up field to get extra yardage, not fielding punts etc. There are very few teams in the state of Maryland that can having huge deficiencies and still win. I get it that we’ve all been spoiled. I just fear that we are going to run into more teams that just stack the box and we lose 10 to 7 or even worse the talent level drops off and the tradition slowly fades away

let’s call it what it is. The 1 a class is terrible without Mountain Ridge. this Fort Hill team was extremely talented. I emphasize the word extremely. I see things. Like running out of bounds instead of cutting up field to get extra yardage, not fielding punts etc. There are very few teams in the state of Maryland that can having huge deficiencies and still win. I get it that we’ve all been spoiled. I just fear that we are going to run into more teams that just stack the box and we lose 10 to 7 or even worse the talent level drops off and the tradition slowly fades away
Everyone puts 10 or 11 guys in the box against FH. The difference against ridge vs the other teams FH plays outside of western MD is familiarity. Ridge sees FH yearly and sometimes twice a year now. If you see a team twice a year then a good coach will have a good defensive scheme against that team. Ridge has a good scheme because of how often they see FH. Oakdale and new Oxford both put 10 guys in the box and it didn’t matter. That’s what make the wing T so good, if a team doesn’t see it yearly than it’s almost impossible to stop.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
What if. Maybe. Maybe not. Could be. Or not. Who knows.

Reactions: 3rd and goals
What if. Maybe. Maybe not. Could be. Or not. Who knows.
Or we could just throw some swing passes and bubble screens and win easily. it’s already been proven that way of playing football does not beat Dunbar. That’s even when we did field punts and didn’t run out of bounds when somebody got near us.

Or we could just throw some swing passes and bubble screens and win easily. it’s already been proven that way of playing football does not beat Dunbar. That’s even when we did field punts and didn’t run out of bounds when somebody got near us.
FH has played Dunbar once in the past 11 years.

I'll give you this, if/when the classifications go back to FH and Dunbar being in the same finals, you are right. FH will probably need to add some of those more frequently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT