ADVERTISEMENT

NFHS signs agreement with Cecil County Public Schools

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
It was announced this week that NFHS singed an agreement with Cecil County Public Schools to broadcast ALL sporting events taking place at ALL the county high schools starting this fall. That is pretty cool for fans that live far away from their Alma matter like I do. It would be cool to see Allegany and surrounding counties do this as well. Assuming they don't already have something like this in place.

It would spell the end of commercial video doing the games most likely as I'm sure it's probably an exclusive agreement, it would be cool for all sports to be broadcast for the people out of town or the elderly that can't get out.

It would spell the end of commercial video doing the games most likely as I'm sure it's probably an exclusive agreement, it would be cool for all sports to be broadcast for the people out of town or the elderly that can't get out.
I'm sure it would be exclusive rights as well. That would certainly suck for Commercial Video. I have always enjoyed what they have been able to provide us football fans. It would be nice to see Mountain Ridge sports on a weekly basis rather than just when they play Fort Hill or Allegany at the stadium.

NFHS network subscription will run you $70/yr or $10/mo and all those games will now be locked behind that paywall. Not a ton of money but more than a lot of people would be willing to pay to watch HS sports.

It does give you access to literally every game from every state in every sport broadcast on the network so you can get more games than you'd ever hope to watch but I get a feeling 99% of people would subscribe to watch their school or at most their county and will never bother to watch the stuff from other states.

Most of the private schools do pretty high quality student-led broadcasts of sporting events now, usually streaming them on YouTube or some other platform. I like that route because it's free for the fans and gives students who might be interested in a sports broadcasting career some valuable real world experience. The McDonogh football broadcast even comes with both multiple camera angles and the score, down & distance, yard line and time displayed accurately and legibly, which a lot of the small college online broadcasts seem to struggle with.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Commercial Video doesn't pay a dime to broadcast the games at the Stadium other than the Playoffs. Also I think they could broadcast them live on the internet as well if the Board of Education allowed it. I do like the NFHS site and have paid for it a few times.

Any and every high school? Bye bye commercial video... only hope I see for the local TV crews is people wont want to pay for it... I would pay tho.. get to watch mater dei and st johns on TV (if ESPN doesn't televise) take my money...

$70 a year is a bargain to see all sporting events for just one school let alone all schools part of the NFHS Network. It would probably hurt attendance at events though.

$70 a year is a bargain to see all sporting events for just one school let alone all schools part of the NFHS Network. It would probably hurt attendance at events though.
Without a doubt... n it wouldn't be long before you're paying 70 dollars a state or even school if its successful, it will make recruits jobs easier as well

Without a doubt... n it wouldn't be long before you're paying 70 dollars a state or even school if its successful, it will make recruits jobs easier as well
nfhs network has been around for many year and the prices haven't increased.

I've been subscribed to the NFHS website for a few years now. There are 2 things I noticed recently.

1. The site has been updated. Making navigation a lot easier.

2. Multiple schools have been added on the MPSSAA channel. Including Quince Orchard, Wise, Dunbar, Franklin, FH & Allegheny. Before then Linganore was the only public school I noticed that streamed their football games.

Now I don't know if all the schools will be streaming football. But I do know for a fact at least 2 of them will be in 2019.

Not really. The games that are streamed on the NFHS site are actually local or school broadcasts (local commercials and all). NFHS does not produce the games, they just provide a secondary streaming service for whatever school or governing body that wants to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: redtheperson
It was announced this week that NFHS singed an agreement with Cecil County Public Schools to broadcast ALL sporting events taking place at ALL the county high schools starting this fall. That is pretty cool for fans that live far away from their Alma matter like I do. It would be cool to see Allegany and surrounding counties do this as well. Assuming they don't already have something like this in place.

Premium Netflix is only $16 per month. $10 a month for programs that advertisers already pay to have produced is a ripoff.

Basically, you are stiffing the locals behind a pay window, who by and large would watch their local teams, attempting to justify it by claiming, "Well hey! Every local school fan has to pay."

Premium Netflix is only $16 per month. $10 a month for programs that advertisers already pay to have produced is a ripoff.

Basically, you are stiffing the locals behind a pay window, who by and large would watch their local teams, attempting to justify it by claiming, "Well hey! Every local school fan has to pay."

The games are still available on local stations/websites. What the NFHS does is make it available to a larger audience & makes storage available for multiple viewings.

If a person doesn't want to pay $10 a month, they can still watch/listen for however long it is available locally.

The games are still available on local stations/websites. What the NFHS does is make it available to a larger audience & makes storage available for multiple viewings.

If a person doesn't want to pay $10 a month, they can still watch/listen for however long it is available locally.

Storage I understand. And...let's say viewers may be able to see 4 additional FH away games (if some source is actually recording them)... I understand that too. But the exclusivity issue is a bit bizarre. If all they are doing is storing say, Commercial Vid, then how can they get an exclusive on it when Commercial Vid offers it free because advertisers pay for it. I mean, who else is recording the home games but Commercial Vid?

who else is recording the home games but Commercial Vid?

Nobody in MD that im aware of. Other states like TX,CA,FL, GA etc. have some that do.

And of course state tournament playoffs, which fall under each state's governing body.

Allot of supposition going on in this thread. It has morphed from a Cecil County agreement to cover all sports (yet to be seen) to somehow having anything to do with Allegany and Fort Hill Football Football home games.

What, exactly is a “local website”?

Commercial Video coverage of the games are available to view for free on local TV. The games can be viewed for free WORLDWIDE in HD on Roku streaming, Apple TV and on the Commercial Video Website ANYTIME during the football season with free unlimited viewings. (We provide Storage).

We livestream events and it would be no problem to livestream the football games, if ACPS would allow it.

Last edited:
Allot of supposition going on in this thread. It has morphed from a Cecil County agreement to cover all sports (yet to be seen) to somehow having anything to do with Allegany and Fort Hill Football Football home games.

Commercial Video coverage of the games are available to view for free on local TV. The games can be viewed for free WORLDWIDE in HD on Roku streaming, Apple TV and on the Commercial Video Website ANYTIME during the football season with free unlimited viewings. (We provide Storage).

We livestream events and it would be no problem to livestream the football games, if ACPS would allow it.
Question (I have a shit ton..lol.) any chance you will start doing away games or both Cumberland teams? Or any chance of MR and/or Frankfort,home and away??

LOL....I thought when people were saying "Commercial video" they literally meant commercial video, not an actual company. Sorry for the confusion.

But to answer your question local website is like MoCofootball, 1st Amendment Sports or Varsity Sports Network or sites affiliated with schools. Websites that specifically cover & promote local football in their respective areas. Some of whom stream games.

I mentioned Allegany and Fort Hill because they have been recently been added to the NFHS site. Dont know if football will be on there but it seems some sport from those schools will be in 2019-20.

Last edited:

Why don't they allow it? ACPS that is.

Question (I have a shit ton..lol.) any chance you will start doing away games or both Cumberland teams? Or any chance of MR and/or Frankfort,home and away??

In our 31 years of broadcasting local sports, we have done everything that you mention above including other sports and schools. We survive on advertising sponsorship with some very loyal sponsors as well as new advertisers that see the value in our work and how it helps them. That said, currently, there is not enough revenue stream to support the cost of covering multiple Friday night games being played by multiple schools at the same time, home and away. We are always open to new prospects, but the reality is that our broadcast quality HD production with announcers, multiple cameras, instant replay, streaming costs, etc. eats up time, labor, equipment and money to do properly. This is all increased on away games. Im speaking with over 30 years in the trenches, not from some idealistic, naive point of view that some people might have.

I’m always open to new possibilities, if it makes sense. Never say never.

Reactions: everyones-an-expert
In our 31 years of broadcasting local sports, we have done everything that you mention above including other sports and schools. We survive on advertising sponsorship with some very loyal sponsors as well as new advertisers that see the value in our work and how it helps them. That said, currently, there is not enough revenue stream to support the cost of covering multiple Friday night games being played by multiple schools at the same time, home and away. We are always open to new prospects, but the reality is that our broadcast quality HD production with announcers, multiple cameras, instant replay, streaming costs, etc. eats up time, labor, equipment and money to do properly. This is all increased on away games. Im speaking with over 30 years in the trenches, not from some idealistic, naive point of view that some people might have.

I’m always open to new possibilities, if it makes sense. Never say never.
High school football is only getting bigger! Good luck to all of yall and thanks for what you do.. if you do end up expanding look at ccte's broadcasting class for cheap labor.. lol.. hell tell me I'd be willing to help, watch football, no problem..

Concern that it live TV and streaming broadcasts will affect ticket sales at the gate.
It definitely will but I don't think it would be much more than what is already felt with the fact they can watch online delayed by a couple hours.

It definitely will but I don't think it would be much more than what is already felt with the fact they can watch online delayed by a couple hours.

It can be argued both ways. I believe that media interest and coverage of a team gives it greater interest and awareness in the community. The gate is important as is offsets the expenses of hosting a game but if TV and radio stopped covering the games, would the bleachers be full? Tough to say.

Back in the day, we did live broadcasts of Allegany College basketball. The gym was full even though people could stay home and watch it live on TV. Coach Kirk believed that the greater exposure of his quality program that TV gave, caused people to want to come to the gym to see a game after being exposed to it on TV. Those AC teams were national caliber teams and they put on a great show. Keep in mind that the gym is not affected by the weather on game night like a stadium, which can hurt attendance (although there were some cold, snowy trips to get the the gym).

It can be argued both ways. I believe that media interest and coverage of a team gives it greater interest and awareness in the community. The gate is important as is offsets the expenses of hosting a game but if TV and radio stopped covering the games, would the bleachers be full? Tough to say.

Back in the day, we did live broadcasts of Allegany College basketball. The gym was full even though people could stay home and watch it live on TV. Coach Kirk believed that the greater exposure of his quality program that TV gave, caused people to want to come to the gym to see a game after being exposed to it on TV. Those AC teams were national caliber teams and they put on a great show. Keep in mind that the gym is not affected by the weather on game night like a stadium, which can hurt attendance (although there were some cold, snowy trips to get the the gym).

Noticed on the FH site that you keep copies of Homecoming games. Are there other games that you may have copies of.... such as the Alco/Dunbar season opener?

Noticed on the FH site that you keep copies of Homecoming games. Are there other games that you may have copies of.... such as the Alco/Dunbar season opener?

Yes. All regular season and playoff games that we have broadcast for many years on DVD (DVD and Blu-Ray for 2018 season and playoffs). Order direct from commercialvideoservices.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT