ADVERTISEMENT

Much Ado about nothing

FHHSAHS

Hall of Fame Poster
Nov 27, 2001
This whole week has been really tough to be a FH fan. From the feigned outrage over the facilities at Catoctin (they were absolutely fine, btw), the loudmouth, ahole FH fans who went online to talk shit and make the whole community look like idiots (I hope they go away when their kids graduate), then obviously last night's game which was literally the biggest breakdown I've ever seen as FH fan of 40+ years.

There's not much to say. First and foremost, Catoctin was a much better team than most FH fans and coaches realized. If they studied film, I'm not sure what the hell they watched because they were not prepared. But Catoctin was a hungry team, possibly a little insulted and flat out more prepared. Their coaches were literally screaming out every play FH was running. Plays that FH hadn't even run before. Outcoached every aspect of the FH side.

But really as others have said, this loss is on the shoulders of the kids. They played with what looked like no fire, no on field leadership, some of them just flat out quit (players that should be leading the team, I'm not calling out any by name obv)...people wonder why coach didn't try to score with a minute:30 left.in the first half? Because coach knew his players were done. He's been coaching long enough. Kids missing blocking assignments, DEs not covering the flat, linemen not blocking. The players were outmanned. This FH team did not have the leadership and drive to come back from a defecit like we saw in Sherando a few years ago.

This one is rough. Not because FH lost to a better team. But because they didn't play like they wanted to win. And if you don't play like you want to win...against a good team, you won't.

Hats of to Catoctin, I was impressed with every facet of the evening. Their hype, their crowd, the atmosphere. That was a fun place to watch a game.

I can say I have posted on this site a couple of times. And except for a couple of guys on here every one else was very respectful. And love to talk football. As a Brunswick player back in the 80’s. And a assistant high school coach and youth coach for the Brunswick area which I am not any more. I enjoyed coming on here and talk football. I think you all have a strong tradition up there. So of course I watched the game last night and did not expect to see what I did last night. But all in all FH had a great season. Just wasn’t their night last night. It happens. But I’m sure they will be back stronger than ever.

I hope karma turns its head and bits u cause u have no right to talk bad about a group of high school kids that worked their butts off to do what they did this season and proved everyone wrong when no one gave them a chance I am super proud of those boys of what they accomplished and they should be to it’s easy to sit behind a keyboard or in the stands and run ur mouth and think u know what whats going u have no idea what was going on down on that field and those sidelines and in the locker room I do and u sir don’t deserve to know or anyone for that matter I hope that karma gets u in the end and u sir disgrace for bashing teenage kids and r not a true FH fan
This whole week has been really tough to be a FH fan. From the feigned outrage over the facilities at Catoctin (they were absolutely fine, btw), the loudmouth, ahole FH fans who went online to talk shit and make the whole community look like idiots (I hope they go away when their kids graduate), then obviously last night's game which was literally the biggest breakdown I've ever seen as FH fan of 40+ years.

There's not much to say. First and foremost, Catoctin was a much better team than most FH fans and coaches realized. If they studied film, I'm not sure what the hell they watched because they were not prepared. But Catoctin was a hungry team, possibly a little insulted and flat out more prepared. Their coaches were literally screaming out every play FH was running. Plays that FH hadn't even run before. Outcoached every aspect of the FH side.

But really as others have said, this loss is on the shoulders of the kids. They played with what looked like no fire, no on field leadership, some of them just flat out quit (players that should be leading the team, I'm not calling out any by name obv)...people wonder why coach didn't try to score with a minute:30 left.in the first half? Because coach knew his players were done. He's been coaching long enough. Kids missing blocking assignments, DEs not covering the flat, linemen not blocking. The players were outmanned. This FH team did not have the leadership and drive to come back from a defecit like we saw in Sherando a few years ago.

This one is rough. Not because FH lost to a better team. But because they didn't play like they wanted to win. And if you don't play like you want to win...against a good team, you won't.

Hats of to Catoctin, I was impressed with every facet of the evening. Their hype, their crowd, the atmosphere. That was a fun place to watch a game.

I hope karma turns its head and bits u cause u have no right to talk bad about a group of high school kids that worked their butts off to do what they did this season and proved everyone wrong when no one gave them a chance I am super proud of those boys of what they accomplished and they should be to it’s easy to sit behind a keyboard or in the stands and run ur mouth and think u know what whats going u have no idea what was going on down on that field and those sidelines and in the locker room I do and u sir don’t deserve to know or anyone for that matter I hope that karma gets u in the end and u sir disgrace for bashing teenage kids and r not a true FH fan

To be fair to Towpath, he clearly said they were out coached. I do think his language was too strong by saying this was, "on the shoulders of the kids". But I'm not sure he meant to totally blame the players for the loss. Personally I put most of the blame on the coaching staff.

To be fair to Towpath, he clearly said they were out coached. I do think his language was too strong by saying this was, "on the shoulders of the kids". But I'm not sure he meant to totally blame the players for the loss. Personally I put most of the blame on the coaching staff.
Whenever somebody says "you aren't a true fh fan" it screams of talking points the diehards live and breathe by. When you have been going to the games and supporting the team for 50 years, but make a comment that is not worshiping this coach in any way then he says you aren't a true fan, and that comment trickles down to all of his followers, and I do mean followers. Who is he or anybody else to judge what a true fan is? It's getting comical at this point that grown men can be that sensitive to criticism.

Sometimes the kids have the fire, sometimes they don't. Last night they didn't have the fire. As for what I do or don't know, you have no idea. I spoke with coaches, staff, and even some of the kids. I believe the players simply were not ready for what hit them. And yes, that could be on the coaching staff ultimately. But the team as a whole was outplayed. Life is harsh, sometimes you get beat. They got beat hard. Hopefully they're stronger for it

But don't assume you know shit about where I come from or what I know. I'm not a football mom who thinks my kid is the next D1 star...I know how hard these kids work. Have for years. But the whole thing fell apart last night. I call it like I see it.

Call it what you will, and people will take it the wrong way and think I’m discrediting Catoctin, but this FH team just wasn’t all that good honestly. I’m not a fan of getting on the internet and digging positions that were glaring weaknesses because it’s rlly just calling high school kids out. Some FH kids lived in the image of the teams that started the run. There has been a talent drop from 2013-14 to today. Those were some special teams and I think ppl expected the same result consistently. It’s just not reasonable to have that expectation. They’re still a good 1a school, but the loss isn’t surprising to me. The score however was. Watched the game with a buddy who played on the first two title teams and he basically called them all soft...

But who did they prove wrong? Who did they beat they weren't favored to do so? They were the defending champs with an incredible winning percentage and part of a storied small school football program. Why the victim mentality?

Folks are upset, not so much about the loss but how it went down. I can't stand at least 50% of FH fans. They're often rude, delusional in their assessments of the team and the opposition, and embarrass themselves without self-awareness. Everyone is so sensitive, so quick to boast or pass judgment. Reality is, FH got spanked and it was as ugly and disappointing of a performance, collectively, as I've ever seen in football. But the dim-witted fans make it worse. We all have bad days. Teams have bad outings. There's so much to celebrate with the program but some people think they're world beaters, which in their best year ( u pick), isn't true. Yes the team, coaches, band, etc work hard. So do others-----hard work and dedication aren't exclusive to FH football. Someone has to lose, but that effort, or lack there of, is very unusual...it's tough when you get out everything'd by your 'right-sized' opponent.

That was my whole point. I never called out a single kid, is never do that. But yes, as people are saying this was unusual. I saw FH get beat 41-2 against Martinsburg, and other "beat downs" and while they were out manned in those games it looked like they were at least trying. Last night just seemed off...way off. Only way I can word it is a complete breakdown.

Don't be so offended, the kids all work hard as they always have. But they didn't play well. Has nothing to do with the measure of how true a fan I am. Jesus.

FH played two good teams this year and lost to both of them.

Sometimes the kids have the fire, sometimes they don't. Last night they didn't have the fire. As for what I do or don't know, you have no idea. I spoke with coaches, staff, and even some of the kids. I believe the players simply were not ready for what hit them. And yes, that could be on the coaching staff ultimately. But the team as a whole was outplayed. Life is harsh, sometimes you get beat. They got beat hard. Hopefully they're stronger for it

But don't assume you know shit about where I come from or what I know. I'm not a football mom who thinks my kid is the next D1 star...I know how hard these kids work. Have for years. But the whole thing fell apart last night. I call it like I see it.
People have been very critical and for a good reason. I will always wonder why Fort Hill did not try to score at the end of the half with three timeouts. Coach Apple said himself that they were outcoached and outplayed. No one can say for 100% but to me it looks like the Fort Hill kids gave up last night. The only thing we know for sure is Catoctin is very good and Fort Hill was not ready. We will learn a lot more next week when they play Dunbar.

Call it what you will, and people will take it the wrong way and think I’m discrediting Catoctin, but this FH team just wasn’t all that good honestly. I’m not a fan of getting on the internet and digging positions that were glaring weaknesses because it’s rlly just calling high school kids out. Some FH kids lived in the image of the teams that started the run. There has been a talent drop from 2013-14 to today. Those were some special teams and I think ppl expected the same result consistently. It’s just not reasonable to have that expectation. They’re still a good 1a school, but the loss isn’t surprising to me. The score however was. Watched the game with a buddy who played on the first two title teams and he basically called them all soft...

FH will continue to be a top 1A for the forseeable future. Those 2013-2016 squads were not incredible teams. They just played Surrattsville, Forestville, Douglass (Balt) and Havre De Grace in the playoffs. This year's team would have done the same thing against those schools. The 2017 FH team was a talented 1A squad they just had to face Dunbar in the championship

FH will continue to be a top 1A for the forseeable future. Those 2013-2016 squads were not incredible teams. They just played Surrattsville, Forestville, Douglass (Balt) and Havre De Grace in the playoffs. This year's team would have done the same thing against those schools. The 2017 FH team was a talented 1A squad they just had to face Dunbar in the championship

Yes, I noticed you made no mention of the 2018 team that beat Douglass of PG...why? Was it an “incredible” team because it beat the Eagles?

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed you made no mention of the 2018 team that beat Douglass of PG...why?

That was another good 1A team. They were talented and won the title by beating a 5 loss Douglass (PG) team. Do you think FH beats Dunbar last year if Douglass doesn't upset them? How many schools playing for the title this year have 5 losses? Those kinds of things happen in 1A because 1A is simply not playing at the same level as the rest of the state. FH is one of a few quality 1A programs and they will be in the title hunt every year.

That was another good 1A team. They were talented and won the title by beating a 5 loss Douglass (PG) team. Do you think FH beats Dunbar last year if Douglass doesn't upset them? How many schools playing for the title this year have 5 losses? Those kinds of things happen in 1A because 1A is simply not playing at the same level as the rest of the state. FH is one of a few quality 1A programs and they will be in the title hunt every year.
Last years team wouldve gotten the job done against Dunbar.

they were a pretty loaded 1A squad, and would’ve beaten Dunbar just as easily in the 13’-14’ years as well. Douglass was the best team in the city those two years. Enough about the Dunbar hype lol. The teams in 13’-14’ the two years were pretty much head and shoulders above these recent teams at every position. Actually the 13-16 team besides maybe the D line of last years team is the only thing comparable. Dunbar beat FH in 2017 bcuz of piss poor tackling. Doesn’t matter if Dunbar adjusted and stopped the run. The biggest difference in drop off in recent years for FH has been the offensive line.The FH team in 13’-14’ would’ve ran on damn near anyone even with defensive adjustments being made with that line and array of backs pretty much what like the Ravens are doing.

It’s a moot point, but every single FH team from 13-16 would’ve beaten that Catoctin team, and the 13-14 FH teams would’ve put a running clock on them lmao

You gas up Dunbar, but when another team beats them like Douglass-PG, you make it a point to belittle FH’s title by calling Doug PG a 5 loss team lmao. So Dunbar is god and FH can’t beat them but Dunbar loses to a 5 loss team that FH beat lmao

Last edited:
they were a pretty loaded 1A squad, and would’ve beaten Dunbar just as easily in the 13’-14’ years as well. Douglass was the best team in the city those two years. Enough about the Dunbar hype lol. The teams in 13’-14’ the two years were pretty much head and shoulders above these recent teams at every position. Actually the 13-16 team besides maybe the D line of last years team is the only thing comparable. Dunbar beat FH in 2017 bcuz of piss poor tackling. Doesn’t matter if Dunbar adjusted and stopped the run. The biggest difference in drop off in recent years for FH has been the offensive line.The FH team in 13’-14’ would’ve ran on damn near anyone even with defensive adjustments being made with that line and array of backs pretty much what like the Ravens are doing.

It’s a moot point, but every single FH team from 13-16 would’ve beaten that Catoctin team, and the 13-14 FH teams would’ve put a running clock on them lmao

You gas up Dunbar, but when another team beats them like Douglass-PG, you make it a point to belittle FH’s title by calling Doug PG a 5 loss team lmao. So Dunbar is god and FH can’t beat them but Dunbar loses to a 5 loss team that FH beat lmao

Facts are facts are facts. Even if you don't like them it's still a fact. Douglass was a 5 loss team last year. Only in 1A will a 5 loss team be in contention for a championship. Why is it considered "belittling" to state a fact? Lol

I don't gas up Dunbar. But a Appel coached FH team has never defeated them. That's another fact. And Douglass was 2A in 13-14.

FH's OL is still better than 97% of 1A schools. The problem is when they face teams that can match their OL (Catoctin, Dunbar) they never change strategies. FH is one dimensional on offense. If they can't run the ball they won't beat you in the air. That has been proven repeatedly.

Reactions: FHHSAHS
Facts are facts are facts. Even if you don't like them it's still a fact. Douglass was a 5 loss team last year. Only in 1A will a 5 loss team be in contention for a championship. Why is it considered "belittling" to state a fact? Lol

I don't gas up Dunbar. But a Appel coached FH team has never defeated them. That's another fact. And Douglass was 2A in 13-14.

FH's OL is still better than 97% of 1A schools. The problem is when they face teams that can match their OL (Catoctin, Dunbar) they never change strategies. FH is one dimensional on offense. If they can't run the ball they won't beat you in the air. That has been proven repeatedly.

Everything I said is the truth. That simple, facts. Yes they’re were a 5 loss team, you also need to look at who they lost to. It does matter. This years O-line for FH wasn’t that good. I saw them get pushed around quite a bit. (Why I didn’t want to mention it bcuz it belittles the kids but it’s the truth so it must be told then) So it goes back to my previous point that the FH team of old especially 13’-14’ had a monster O-line and numerous weapons. They could’ve spread it out and throw on anyone with who they had as well. They just never had to bcuz even when teams sold out to stop the run, they couldn’t stop it. That’s being a manly O-line. Doug Baltimore was calling out where the run was going in the title game running behind number 9 and they still couldn’t stop it. The comparison between these recent FH teams and the teams that started the streak is night and day. That sums up the whole point of my original post.

You repeatedly bring up Dunbar so you must think they’re a world beater. They couldn’t get by EWS and Patterson in 13-14, FH would’ve won a title in 1A regardless of who they played even with Dunbar never moving to 2A those years. FH lost in 17 due to what I saw Friday, no fight IMO. Lazy arm tackles and shying from contact. Like my buddy said, soft.

Any of those FH teams would’ve dogged Dunbar, Catoctin, and any other 1A team, doesn’t matter. The defensive line wouldn’t of gotten pushed around and allowed to happen what happened Friday night either. Catoctin might not of scored with how slow they were offensively either. They had no one who would’ve tested the teams that started the streak. Just a fact

we’re just going to have to agree to disagree on this one

Everything I said is the truth. That simple, facts. Yes they’re were a 5 loss team, you also need to look at who they lost to. It does matter. This years O-line for FH wasn’t that good. I saw them get pushed around quite a bit. (Why I didn’t want to mention it bcuz it belittles the kids but it’s the truth so it must be told then) So it goes back to my previous point that the FH team of old especially 13’-14’ had a monster O-line and numerous weapons. They could’ve spread it out and throw on anyone with who they had as well. They just never had to bcuz even when teams sold out to stop the run, they couldn’t stop it. That’s being a manly O-line. Doug Baltimore was calling out where the run was going in the title game running behind number 9 and they still couldn’t stop it. The comparison between these recent FH teams and the teams that started the streak is night and day. That sums up the whole point of my original post.

You repeatedly bring up Dunbar so you must think they’re a world beater. They couldn’t get by EWS and Patterson in 13-14, FH would’ve won a title in 1A regardless of who they played even with Dunbar never moving to 2A those years. FH lost in 17 due to what I saw Friday, no fight IMO. Lazy arm tackles and shying from contact. Like my buddy said, soft.

I was referring to Dunbar because somebody else brought them up in this thread. But you can't deny the fact that FH went on their championship run only after Dunbar went to 2A. Every single year FH has a dominant OL against 97% of 1A teams. You say they "could've spread it out and throw on anyone"? When have they ever done that? I'm not sure why you think the 2013-2016 would have been a passing threat.

The 2013 and 2014 teams may not be at the very top but I would put them up there near the top with the 97 team and some of the 80’s Alco championship teams.

The 2013 and 2014 teams may not be at the very top but I would put them up there near the top with the 97 team and some of the 80’s Alco championship teams.
I agree, you have to put them up there. I know we're talking "team", but they had a player that gets regular playing time at rb in his first yr in the NFL. They were definitely special.

Reactions: 4R341
I agree, you have to put them up there. I know we're talking "team", but they had a player that gets regular playing time at rb in his first yr in the NFL. They were definitely special.

Those 2013-2014 teams were good FH squads but they were "special" because Dunbar was in 2A. Ty had a great career at FH but you are incorporating what he accomplished after he left high school at UMD and now in the NFL. In High School he was a 3 star player, which isn't unusual for good teams.

Those 2013-2014 teams were good FH squads but they were "special" because Dunbar was in 2A. Ty had a great career at FH but you are incorporating what he accomplished after he left high school at UMD and now in the NFL. In High School he was a 3 star player, which isn't unusual for good teams.

To some degree, I get what you're saying, but you can't always use the 'but Dunbar wasnt there' argument. The fact is, Dunbar was not a 1A team then, and while yes they are going to be a formidable opponent anytime they play in 1A...they were no more relevant to 1A in those years than Wise or Linganore or any other non-1A team during that time. You also have to consider that Dunbar did not win any 2A titles during that time either, so the argument swings both ways. One could surmise that Dunbar's success is dependent on being in a smaller class as well. Seeing as how they haven't won a 2A title since several years BEFORE FH last did. In fact, the last time both schools were in the 2A finals, Fort Hill got the last win. It's all numbers and stats, and they can be manipulated to prove points, I get that as well. Dunbar's last non-1A title was 24 years ago in 3A - a year after that phenomenal '94 2A squad.

Would FH have still won titles if Dunbar was in 1A in 2013-2014? Who knows. Maybe/maybe not. There's no doubt that Dunbar and FH both have had much more success in 1A than any other class. But saying a team isn't special because they didn't play against a team in another class is a hard sell.

Last edited:
Apparently some of you did not read my defensive post. No, this team would not have won titles from 2013-2018. Catoctin has a real nice team - but not way better than some of the 1A teams we have seen since 2013.

Again --- FH lost all 11 starters on defense. FH lost 8 starters on offense (except 3 OL). FH lost two long time offensive and defensive coaches. At no time in the last 7 years have the numbers been this askew. I sometimes look at it as such...when I was a junior I never came off the field. If you are a college level player you never come off the field as a junior.

Some of you cannot see it because of the super poor nature of the teams FH played this year. I wasn't even sure how to measure this team until Friday in Thurmont. Sometimes the truth hurts but let's just say this...the only two teams FH played this season that were good were a combined score of 89-14. That would never happen in the last 6 years. You get years like this where so many kids graduate and not enough come back to fill in the gaps.

Even with all that, these kids never quit and worked as hard as any other. Some of the younger kids just need to hit the weight room a bit more. You are not going to win title deciding games with 5 turnovers and a 12 yard punt. Not gonna happen. FH does not beat 2013 Douglass, 2016 Havre de Grace and 2018 Douglass PG with five turnovers. Sorry, but coaches cannot control this from a team that rarely turned it over all year.

Some of you who bash 1A football despise FH success so much you look for negative ways to rationalize how they win so much. As if it is impossible to accept that these teams earn it. This run by FH and Dunbar is as impressive as anything that has been done in the entire state by a landslide. They both are super good at what they do. When you look at many of the talented teams from around the state and see how disorganized and uncoached these programs are in comparison, you get the picture.

The upside here is that I doubt we'll hear anything from Redstorm in a while. At least not before the board erupts into another debate about one of the Top 5 issues that are discussed in never-ending circles throughout the year.

Bottom line is that FH got beat by a better team. Not a whole lot different than, for example, the fact that Alco got beat by a better team in Homecoming a few weeks back.

But FH had a really good season at 11-2, and the fact is that if 11-2 and a deep playoff run is a disappointment to the FH community, then your program is in a really good place. Like Todd said, y'all had a ton of starters to replace and a couple of key coaches not come back. That's a hard transition for anyone. We Alco guys would love to have 11-2 be a disappointing season right now, so don't worry.. your pets heads aren't falling off just yet.

Apparently some of you did not read my defensive post. No, this team would not have won titles from 2013-2018. Catoctin has a real nice team - but not way better than some of the 1A teams we have seen since 2013.

Again --- FH lost all 11 starters on defense. FH lost 8 starters on offense (except 3 OL). FH lost two long time offensive and defensive coaches. At no time in the last 7 years have the numbers been this askew. I sometimes look at it as such...when I was a junior I never came off the field. If you are a college level player you never come off the field as a junior.

Some of you cannot see it because of the super poor nature of the teams FH played this year. I wasn't even sure how to measure this team until Friday in Thurmont. Sometimes the truth hurts but let's just say this...the only two teams FH played this season that were good were a combined score of 89-14. That would never happen in the last 6 years. You get years like this where so many kids graduate and not enough come back to fill in the gaps.

Even with all that, these kids never quit and worked as hard as any other. Some of the younger kids just need to hit the weight room a bit more. You are not going to win title deciding games with 5 turnovers and a 12 yard punt. Not gonna happen. FH does not beat 2013 Douglass, 2016 Havre de Grace and 2018 Douglass PG with five turnovers. Sorry, but coaches cannot control this from a team that rarely turned it over all year.

Some of you who bash 1A football despise FH success so much you look for negative ways to rationalize how they win so much. As if it is impossible to accept that these teams earn it. This run by FH and Dunbar is as impressive as anything that has been done in the entire state by a landslide. They both are super good at what they do. When you look at many of the talented teams from around the state and see how disorganized and uncoached these programs are in comparison, you get the picture.

This FH team smacked the crap out of the competition all year just like the previous FH teams smacked the crap out of the competition. The Catoctin game happened after 12 games of continuous mud hole stomping, ex Cathedral - so, I hardly think that this team can be considered just a compilation of 19 new kids.

I also don't understand the 'despise FH' stuff. Some of us were watching the Facebook page hoping to see a FH victory... indeed predicting a 20 point spread. What we saw were the wheels come off against a good Catoctin, 1A team... not a great team... a good team. I saw 5 fumbles the result of the wheels coming off, not causing the wheels to come off. And, it wasn't just the fumbles; it was damn near everything.

Don't kid yourself. Ty's ability to outrun EVERYONE on the field saved FH's collective skin more than once in those years. Ty averaged something like 17 yds per touch in high school. I can recall many 3rd and long's that went to the house or became 1st downs bc of Ty and his efforts. He wasn't a household name like Tavon was at Dunbar. He didn't get much exposure until he worked out at UMD. He didn't blossom from a cocoon in the past few yrs. Remember, he hit the ground running as a true freshman in college. Much like a political poll 12 months before an election, who cares about a 3 star hs ranking? Heck, he prolly didn't even have a star until he impressed at his UMD workout. The talent and work ethic was there back then as well. And he's a big reason why those teams were special, which has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Dunbar being in 2A.

Don't kid yourself. Ty's ability to outrun EVERYONE on the field saved FH's collective skin more than once in those years. Ty averaged something like 17 yds per touch in high school. I can recall many 3rd and long's that went to the house or became 1st downs bc of Ty and his efforts. He wasn't a household name like Tavon was at Dunbar. He didn't get much exposure until he worked out at UMD. He didn't blossom from a cocoon in the past few yrs. Remember, he hit the ground running as a true freshman in college. Much like a political poll 12 months before an election, who cares about a 3 star hs ranking? Heck, he prolly didn't even have a star until he impressed at his UMD workout. The talent and work ethic was there back then as well. And he's a big reason why those teams were special, which has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Dunbar being in 2A.

Just thought I'd better clarify I'm not comparing Ty to Tavon before someone misinterprets. That's all

This FH team smacked the crap out of the competition all year just like the previous FH teams smacked the crap out of the competition. The Catoctin game happened after 12 games of continuous mud hole stomping, ex Cathedral - so, I hardly think that this team can be considered just a compilation of 19 new kids.

89-14. That doesn't happen the last 6 years.
Look at the 2012 scores versus Keyser and North Hagerstown and tell me what you see. This team was much better than 2012, but you get the idea.

And yes, this literally was a compilation of new kids across the board. Count them. I already did that for you.

And everyone kept talking about how the FH pass defense was poor this year. Every linebacker, corner and safety was made up of multiple sophomores and juniors. They'll all be back, better equipped to deal with spread offenses that every opponent but two ran. On top of that the entire DL was depleted and then they lost their best lineman to a season ending injury at midseason. Granted, these can't be excuses. Every team deals with personnel losses. Look at what it did to Alco this year. But not winning a state championship with all that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 52 to victory

And yes, this literally was a compilation of new kids across the board. Count them. I already did that for you.

And everyone kept talking about how the FH pass defense was poor this year. Every linebacker, corner and safety was made up of multiple sophomores and juniors.

89-14, scheduling and one complete collapse. Let's say, scheduling and coaching.

After all those games where you beat the crap out of all teams but one.... they are not 'new kids' that played against Catoctin. They were a seasoned team running the offense and defense they were well experienced to run.

Catoctin did more than beat FH with the pass. Speaking of the pass, that 14 score against Cathedral sure stands out when you refuse timeouts and do not try to score against Catoctin. We could go on and on.

On top of what I just explained. After the 2012 season and the Brunswick aerial assault loss, Coach Appel dedicated himself to understanding new pass defense concepts and more 7 on 7 exposure. I'm sure this coaching staff will do the same.Sometimes it takes losing a game, yet alone getting spanked 41-0, to learn.

For anyone that cares about my non-coaching experience opinion...the Fort Hill 6-2 defense that has to morph into a 4-4 defense against the spread where the defensive tackles are in charge of contain, is a bad scheme. When Catoctin ran the perimeter with that quick back, there was not a defender around him until he got 12 yards. They could have run that play every snap and demolished FH. Williamsport did the same with their quick back and hit long TD runs. The defensive ends are in pass coverage. The 2 linebackers are crowded in the middle. The only thing on the outside are your big tackles.

EVERYBODY is running a version of the spread offense where they send out 2,3, 4 and 5 receivers to open up the running game. OK, Alco, Southern and FH don't run spread. Even Mountain Ridge uses spread half the time out of their veer formation. FH has to adapt. Build a spread defense, even if that means shifting to a 3 linebacker set or making the tackles be outside backers with their knuckles down. If you face a power run team then have a different package. So YES, Fort Hill needs two defensive scheme packages. One for the spread, and one for the power. Not a power set that gets morphed for the spread where the ends drop.

The spread changed everything, including the weight room where maxes are now measured by how many reps and not how much weight. Big, strong and fat are not where linemen are today. You need quickness and washboard stomachs.

Last edited:
89-14, scheduling and one complete collapse. Let's say, scheduling and coaching.

After all those games where you beat the crap out of all teams but one.... they are not 'new kids' that played against Catoctin. They were a seasoned team running the offense and defense they were well experienced to run.

Catoctin did more than beat FH with the pass. Speaking of the pass, that 14 score against Cathedral sure stands out when you refuse timeouts and do not try to score against Catoctin. We could go on and on.

Yes, Catoctin beat FH with the pass, with the run off tackle, with the run on the perimeter. They gashed the FH defense with a multitude of plays. I explained all that at length in another post. The offense just sputtered with 5 turnovers and a 12 yard punt. We knew Catoctin would score before the game started for a reason.

Well if Catoctin was really good but not super great as you say. FH has seasoned kids and the same head coach. What was the difference? I don't think you know. And if I knew for sure then I would be living in Vegas or coaching Florida State. My logic...the defense just wasn't there. It wasn't all season. They lost too many good seniors and had a tough time filling every single gap...all 11 of them.

Yes, Catoctin beat FH with the pass, with the run off tackle, with the run on the perimeter. They gashed the FH defense with a multitude of plays. I explained all that at length in another post. The offense just sputtered with 5 turnovers and a 12 yard punt. We knew Catoctin would score before the game started for a reason.

Well if Catoctin was really good but not super great as you say. FH has seasoned kids and the same head coach. What was the difference? I don't think you know. And if I knew for sure then I would be living in Vegas or coaching Florida State. My logic...the defense just wasn't there. It wasn't all season. They lost too many good seniors and had a tough time filling every single gap...all 11 of them.
Well said.. let’s hope next year we can fill all 11 gaps with great defense! And hopefully Apple will be back!

Reactions: PowerRamRight

Not sure why he's arguing with you, he recommended you to be the next FH coach.

FH tried the usual and when that didn't work they had no where to go. That includes the offense. Maybe its too much to ask to prepare for the final team or two in a championship run that might present a challenge requiring a different defense and the forward pass to win. When you are 11 and 2 it is hard to say your defense wasn't there. When you dominate every team but one before playing Catoctin, it is hard to say you had a tough time replacing your starters. Just my thoughts.

FH tried the usual and when that didn't work they had no where to go. That includes the offense. Maybe its too much to ask to prepare for the final team or two in a championship run that might present a challenge requiring a different defense and the forward pass to win. When you are 11 and 2 it is hard to say your defense wasn't there. When you dominate every team but one before playing Catoctin, it is hard to say you had a tough time replacing your starters. Just my thoughts.

Unfortunately for FH, most every opponent between CP and Catoctin was super bad. There is a difference between bad and super bad. It's so hard to measure anything under this microscope. We all were curious to see how much the defense had improved and there was just no way to tell. I actually don't think Brunswick was in the super bad realm...and they gave FH fits with the best mobile QB I saw all year. The problem with super bad teams is that their defenses are usually so super bad a team like FH scores at will with whatever scheme or play they call. As a coach I don't know how you can ascertain what works and what does not in this formula. But even those super bad teams had offensive spurts or long plays that got points here and there.

And on the schedule thing...there are plenty of other not far 1A schools that FH should be playing in the regular season. From Catoctin, Boonsboro, Brunswick, Williamsport, Keyser, etc. None of them will play FH. So all the years I say no one will play FH - that's what I mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 52 to victory

Not incredible teams by what standard...the 4A measuring standard? Again, debasing 1A because they are 1A is silly. Those FH teams were exceptionally incredible teams for 1A just the same as Urbana was during their 4 year record tying stint for the class they were in.

Under your analogy I would say Wise is a product of poor competition. When was the last time they beat a team who was as good or better than them? They have not. See how that works? We all have said the same about Martinsburg. I would say the same about the Damascus run. When teams do this on a repeated record breaking consistency, it means they are just damn good. Just because they might not be able to beat a really good team in a higher classification makes no sense and I have never been able to figure out why you continually push such an agenda. Unless you have an agenda.

Using your own words...
Fort Hill will continue to be a top 1A for the forseeable future.
Wise will continue to be a top 4A for the forseeable future.
Damascus will continue to be a top 2A/3A team for the forseeable future.
Martinsburg will continue to be a top WV AAA team for the forseeable future.
They are all just a better program than everyone else in their class for a reason. It's not because all the other teams in their classification suck every year.

Last edited:
Look at the 2012 scores versus Keyser and North Hagerstown and tell me what you see. This team was much better than 2012, but you get the idea.

And everyone kept talking about how the FH pass defense was poor this year. Every linebacker, corner and safety was made up of multiple sophomores and juniors. They'll all be back, better equipped to deal with spread offenses that every opponent but two ran. On top of that the entire DL was depleted and then they lost their best lineman to a season ending injury at midseason. Granted, these can't be excuses. Every team deals with personnel losses. Look at what it did to Alco this year. But not winning a state championship with all that makes sense.

"Every linebacker, corner and safety was made up of multiple sophomores and juniors. They'll all be back, better equipped to deal with spread offenses that every opponent but two ran."

Won't make much difference if the coaches have them in the wrong pass coverage defensing it all wrong...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT