ADVERTISEMENT

MPSSAA confirms cancelled game policy

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
I got confirmation from the MPSSAA that both the Alco vs. Dunbar and FH vs. Loyola games are cancelled and will go down as a no-contest. That means both Alco and FH now have 9 game schedules.

However, if another game gets cancelled (for whatever reason), then Alco and FH would have an 8 game schedule. And the lowest divisor for playoff points is 9 games. So that means an automatic loss.

Early weather reports are calling for more thunderstorms both this Friday and Saturday. FH plays Morgantown Friday night at 7:00 pm. Alco plays Perry Traditional on Saturday at 2:00. Those games MUST BE PLAYED this weekend even if it means playing Sunday or Monday.

In simple terms if another game gets cancelled for either Alco or FH...they take an automatic loss.

Thanks for the clarification Todd. Still confused as to why they just dont consider it cancelled. Why even bring up the term no contest for a game that considered cancelled

I got confirmation from the MPSSAA that both the Alco vs. Dunbar and FH vs. Loyola games are cancelled and will go down as a no-contest. That means both Alco and FH now have 9 game schedules.

However, if another game gets cancelled (for whatever reason), then Alco and FH would have an 8 game schedule. And the lowest divisor for playoff points is 9 games. So that means an automatic loss.

Early weather reports are calling for more thunderstorms both this Friday and Saturday. FH plays Morgantown Friday night at 7:00 pm. Alco plays Perry Traditional on Saturday at 2:00. Those games MUST BE PLAYED this weekend even if it means playing Sunday or Monday.

In simple terms if another game gets cancelled for either Alco or FH...they take an automatic loss.

Do they actually record a loss on their record, or is it just treated that way for playoff points since its a game you get zero points for despite not playing it?

Do they actually record a loss on their record, or is it just treated that way for playoff points since its a game you get zero points for despite not playing it?
It isn't considered a loss or a win for either team. Neither team gets any bonus points. It is as if the game was never scheduled. Each team lost a game. To Todd's point, it puts all these schools in a bind as the year hasn't even started and they have no room for error when it comes to any games being impacted by weather.

Last edited:
I answered this question a few times last week, so I will copy and paste the answer. In regards to how MPSSAA playoff points work. Points are totaled and then you divide by the number of games played to get a point average. At this point both Alco and FH play a 9 game schedule, so you total the points and divide by 9 to get the point average.

The MPSSAA rules state that a team can play any amount of games and still make the playoffs. They can even play 2 games and make it. However, when totaling up the playoff points, 9 is the lowest divisor that can be used to get the point average.

For example:

If a team plays 10 games, you add up all the win points and divide by 10.

If a team plays 9 games, you add up all the win points and divide by 9.

If a team plays 8 games, you add up all the win points and divide by 9 - (which means you take an automatic loss)

If a team plays 7 games, you add up all the win points and divide by 9 - (which means you take an automatic 2 losses)

So on down the line.

But I made a joke last fall that was actually true. Surrattsville finished the season with a 3-6 record and made the Class 1A playoffs. They could actually have played just 4 games last year and if they won 3 of them would have made the playoffs.

This will apply to Dunbar as well then. But I'm assuming with the rest of their schedule travel isn't an issue.

I answered this question a few times last week, so I will copy and paste the answer. In regards to how MPSSAA playoff points work. Points are totaled and then you divide by the number of games played to get a point average. At this point both Alco and FH play a 9 game schedule, so you total the points and divide by 9 to get the point average.

The MPSSAA rules state that a team can play any amount of games and still make the playoffs. They can even play 2 games and make it. However, when totaling up the playoff points, 9 is the lowest divisor that can be used to get the point average.

For example:

If a team plays 10 games, you add up all the win points and divide by 10.

If a team plays 9 games, you add up all the win points and divide by 9.

If a team plays 8 games, you add up all the win points and divide by 9 - (which means you take an automatic loss)

If a team plays 7 games, you add up all the win points and divide by 9 - (which means you take an automatic 2 losses)

So on down the line.

But I made a joke last fall that was actually true. Surrattsville finished the season with a 3-6 record and made the Class 1A playoffs. They could actually have played just 4 games last year and if they won 3 of them would have made the playoffs.
I understand what you are saying above, but let me ask this.....While there are many variables involved as far as class or team record as well as opponents played, but what is a normal avg of points a team may receive by beating a team? I mean , are we talking single digits or is it something like 10-50? Other than the inherent risk, would there be an advantage to having only 9 games on a schedule rather than 10? You would thus divide your points by 9 rather than 10. It seems to me you would have to receive a certain number of points to make it worthwhile to schedule the 10th game.

I understand what you are saying above, but let me ask this.....While there are many variables involved as far as class or team record as well as opponents played, but what is a normal avg of points a team may receive by beating a team? I mean , are we talking single digits or is it something like 10-50? Other than the inherent risk, would there be an advantage to having only 9 games on a schedule rather than 10? You would thus divide your points by 9 rather than 10. It seems to me you would have to receive a certain number of points to make it worthwhile to schedule the 10th game.

This is a question that is extremely hypothetical and almost impossible to answer until after each regular season is completely over and the points get added up.

For example, I want to say it was 2005 and Northern finished the season at 7-2 and lost the 4th seed in 1A West to a 6-4 FH. In this instance, not playing a 10th game against and beating at least a mediocre 1A enrollment school that could win a few games for bonus points or a higher class school cost Northern a playoff appearance by a tenth of a percentage point or something close.

I think from what happened this past weekend to various teams, having a full 10 game schedule allows for the unexpected, because if you have a 9 game schedule and a game gets cancelled you are basically making that game an automatic loss when it comes to the avg points denominator. It won’t show in your Win-Loss record as a loss but it will be affect your avg points as a loss, as Helmick explained above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redwhite90

LinemenWinGames answered your question as good as I could. Do some simple math:

If a team has played 9 games and has 90 points - the average is 10.00
If a team plays a 10th game against a 1A team that has 1 win then they now have 96 points - the average is now 9.60
So you see it hurt the point total playing a small school who isn't any good.
The reverse would be true for a 1A team who has won 6 games - the point total average goes up.

However, you don't want 9 games for two reasons. 1 - a game gets cancelled like last week and you are screwed. 2. kids and coaches are here to play games

Reactions: Redwhite90
Todd,
What is the MD base pints for beating:

A
AA
AAA
AAAA

Then how does the MD bonus points work
from beating a:
A
Aa
AAA
AAAA
Must your defeated opponent win in it's class or higher for you to get a bonus point

Todd,

A
AA
AAA
AAAA

from beating a:
A
Aa
AAA
AAAA
Must your defeated opponent win in it's class or higher for you to get a bonus point

5 pts for beating a A school
6 pts for beating an AA
7 pts for beating a AAA
8 pts for beating a AAAA

Teams get a bonus point for an opponents wins. Classification has nothing to do with it.
For example, if Fort Hill beats Morgantown, FH gets 1.1 bonus pts, (dividing by 9 game sched.) for Morgantown's one win. Doesn't matter that Motown would be a 4A in MD.

Thanks guys .... I was not suggesting a team only schedule 9 games, just curious as to if it would somehow work out to benefit a team that they only had 9 games rather than 10.
Just looking at it in a basic sense, it looks to me that if you are not going to get at least 10 points for the win, then the 10th game does not help you in the points system. So for example, Southern playing Clear Spring as a 10th game may actually hurt their points total at the end of the year if the Blazers have a similar record to last year.
Honestly, I was trying to make sense of the fact that this year as well as in year's previous, Northern has had a 9 game schedule. I realize sometimes it just happens that way and you cannot find anyone that week, but I just wondered if it was something where they didn't see the benefit of picking up that 10th game other than competition. But now I understand why it was so very important for them to wait out the storm last week and complete the game against Brunswick. It was 7-0 Brunswick at the time of the delay I think.

Todd,

A
AA
AAA
AAAA

from beating a:
A
Aa
AAA
AAAA

Morgantown is 4A in Maryland, so a win for FH would be worth 8 points plus a point for every win Morgantown gets.

It's not like WV at all, where you only get so many points against teams in a smaller classification. What that does in Maryland however is make Northern Garrett worth more points than teams like Steubenville or equal to the same amount of points as national power St. Frances.

If hurricane Florence arrives as some predict then games east of Frederick could be in peril. As a minimum, Baltimore will get whacked.

Early weather reports are calling for more thunderstorms both this Friday and Saturday. FH plays Morgantown Friday night at 7:00 pm. Alco plays Perry Traditional on Saturday at 2:00. Those games MUST BE PLAYED this weekend even if it means playing Sunday or Monday
-------------------------------------
Morgantown isn't allowed to play anything on Sunday
Its a WVSSAC rule which Morgantown plays under

Early weather reports are calling for more thunderstorms both this Friday and Saturday. FH plays Morgantown Friday night at 7:00 pm. Alco plays Perry Traditional on Saturday at 2:00. Those games MUST BE PLAYED this weekend even if it means playing Sunday or Monday
-------------------------------------
Morgantown isn't allowed to play anything on Sunday
Its a WVSSAC rule which Morgantown plays under
Ed or Todd may be able to answer this question. Why is playing, finishing a game not considered against the rule "You can only play one game in a week" that the MPSSAA has. Not sure if the WVSSAC has the same rule or not Ed. If you have a game on Friday and you play one on Monday that would be the same week right?

Ed or Todd may be able to answer this question. Why is playing, finishing a game not considered against the rule "You can only play one game in a week" that the MPSSAA has. Not sure if the WVSSAC has the same rule or not Ed. If you have a game on Friday and you play one on Monday that would be the same week right?

In MD teams are allowed to make up games on a Monday and play on Friday. Yesterday, I think Dunbar already postponed their game until Monday to avoid the lightening.

In MD teams are allowed to make up games on a Monday and play on Friday. Yesterday, I think Dunbar already postponed their game until Monday to avoid the lightening.
I didnt know about that rule. Thank you. Dunbar's game has been moved to Saturday at 4pm.

I can't express how disappointed I am in the MPSSAA County Sports Zone site this year. That was a good source in the past but whoever is in charge this year...well it's obvious they are not posting scores until the weekend is over and even then the scores they post are not correct many times. How hard can it be really?

But getting updated MPSSAA scores is now a complete mess. ScoreStream is a nice app but not reliable.

I can't express how disappointed I am in the MPSSAA County Sports Zone site this year. That was a good source in the past but whoever is in charge this year...well it's obvious they are not posting scores until the weekend is over and even then the scores they post are not correct many times. How hard can it be really?

But getting updated MPSSAA scores is now a complete mess. ScoreStream is a nice app but not reliable.
Couldn't agree with you more Todd. I was excited when the MPSSAA partnered with/created the site. It has been very useful in the past few years. Not only are they not updating as quick as they did in years past, this year they changed the site to show a game as "0-0" tie once the game is supposed to start as opposed to not reported. That is what caused some confusion on my end last week.

The WVMetroNews site is so useful for WV. They can get some things wrong on occasion. But they do a really nice job. That along with their playoff format makes me envy how WV does HSFB.

In WV if a game starts on Friday and is completed on Monday it counts as the date it was started

I've seen WV teams play on Friday scheduled game , a make up on Monday from a earlier week, and then on Friday again in a schedule game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT