ADVERTISEMENT

LMAO. FH drops Cathederal Prep.

Being alumni of FH i don't want to believe they are doing this i didn't like it with Friendship. Like i have said before if you lose so what but honor your word. Don't be a coward.
Yep. Unfortunately complaining doesn't feed the bulldog.

Yep. Unfortunately complaining doesn't feed the bulldog.

True that. Lord knows I have complained my tail off for a loooong time about the "every man for himself" routine. Minus well be complaining to myself on the upper practice field in the dead of winter. But at least FH scheduling makes entertaining forum banter because this place was dead.

If I had my d'rothers I would makes sure the states all cooperated. You sign a contract, you are locked in and there will be punishment if it's broken. Play the game or take the forfeit loss. But again...minus well be complaining to my dead cat.

True that. Lord knows I have complained my tail off for a loooong time about the "every man for himself" routine. Minus well be complaining to myself on the upper practice field in the dead of winter. But at least FH scheduling makes entertaining forum banter because this place was dead.

If I had my d'rothers I would makes sure the states all cooperated. You sign a contract, you are locked in and there will be punishment if it's broken. Play the game or take the forfeit loss. But again...minus well be complaining to my dead cat.

If Fort Hill had their druthers, they'd force other teams to uphold their contracts as well. But by flaking out on games and not honoring their own commitments, they have absolutely no credibility whatsoever. They did nothing to make any case for improving the system. So now they've become just another part of the problem. Hopefully the administration at the school and the AD will stop kowtowing to this type of behavior, and insist the coach set a better example.

You won't find people like OneRing say a peep when a team like Clearfield makes FH travel 3 hours then tells them to get lost without paying them a dime. Those same people make 30 posts when FH does it.
Thanks for proving that you've read nothing I've written. I haven't made one post criticizing FH, but as head SJW, you dont care. Every post that isnt praising FH is criticizing them when you are the most biased poster on these forums.

Reactions: bigsavage
They did nothing to make any case for improving the system. So now they've become just another part of the problem.

I share your agony FHHSAHS, honest. This all sucks.And not just from a measly high school football standpoint, but more of a human standpoint.

However, I do have to correct your said statement. I (along with the admins at FH and the Allegany County BOE) fought very, very hard to force teams to honor their contracts. Not just to get games, but also because of the money involved.

The Clearfield thing was really a bad situation. We fought that situation with the PIAA, the MPSSAA, the respective BOE in their district, etc. FH even doubled down with a lawyer. To boot, their head coach was also the Clearfield principal. Every single administrator from every side told us sorry for your luck. Forget trying to get them to return the game, we couldn't even get them to pay a single dime. FH lost five figure$ in that ordeal.

The North Hagerstown situation was the same, FH went there, then the Hubs bailed the next year. Coach Appel and I wasted ungodly amounts of time fighting it and had the MPSSAA and Washington County finally force the Hubs to honor the return game two years later. The Hubs AD was so mad he refused to ever play FH again in any sport and he didn't. Yea, and we are the bad guys in that scenario. So it is possible but only if it is another MPSSAA school that can be penalized. Then again...next paragraph.

Fairmont Heights - oh yea, we fought that one hard. We were again told sorry for your luck. I'm not getting into the obvious "why" they sided with a PG County school because it should be obvious.

So all this happened before FH ever considered dropping a game with Friendship. To say FH never tried to make a case goes against all the time I and many others put in all to be told sorry for your luck. So yea, the OP is correct...complaining doesn't feed the bulldog. But have at it on a social media platform. No one that matters or can do something about it cares.

ALLOW ME TO BE CLEAR AGAIN, I do not agree with FH cancelling any game they have under contract. I didn't post this to cry about what has been done to FH. I posted it to let people know we absolutely tried to fight this process because it's wrong regardless of who did what.

Last edited:
Reactions: PowerRamRight
I share your agony FHHSAHS, honest. This all sucks.And not just from a measly high school football standpoint, but more of a human standpoint.

However, I do have to correct your said statement. I (along with the admins at FH and the Allegany County BOE) fought very, very hard to force teams to honor their contracts. Not just to get games, but also because of the money involved.

The Clearfield thing was really a bad situation. We fought that situation with the PIAA, the MPSSAA, the respective BOE in their district, etc. FH even doubled down with a lawyer. To boot, their head coach was also the Clearfield principal. Every single administrator from every side told us sorry for your luck. Forget trying to get them to return the game, we couldn't even get them to pay a single dime. FH lost five figure$ in that ordeal.

The North Hagerstown situation was the same, FH went there, then the Hubs bailed the next year. Coach Appel and I wasted ungodly amounts of time fighting it and had the MPSSAA and Washington County finally force the Hubs to honor the return game two years later. The Hubs AD was so mad he refused to ever play FH again in any sport and he didn't. Yea, and we are the bad guys in that scenario. So it is possible but only if it is another MPSSAA school that can be penalized. Then again...next paragraph.

Fairmont Heights - oh yea, we fought that one hard. We were again told sorry for your luck. I'm not getting into the obvious "why" they sided with a PG County school because it should be obvious.

So all this happened before FH ever considered dropping a game with Friendship. To say FH never tried to make a case goes against all the time I and many others put in all to be told sorry for your luck. So yea, the OP is correct...complaining doesn't feed the bulldog. But have at it on a social media platform. No one that matters or can do something about it cares.

ALLOW ME TO BE CLEAR AGAIN, I do not agree with FH cancelling any game they have under contract. I didn't post this to cry about what has been done to FH. I posted it to let people know we absolutely tried to fight this process because it's wrong regardless of who did what.

Since you're setting the record straight Todd, who other than FC & CP has FH dropped after one game and not honored the second year of the contract? Looked back over the annual results and didn't see a third. What say you?

Since you're setting the record straight Todd, who other than FC & CP has FH dropped after one game and not honored the second year of the contract? Looked back over the annual results and didn't see a third. What say you?

None since I've been helping in 2009. Of course it has to do with getting beat. Unless it has to do with league commitments shifting. But even then leagues are pretty good with working around non-league games if you set the contract in advance.

Last edited:

I keep reading this thread wondering why I agree with Appel canceling the CP game while FH fans and others see the cancellation as some sort of 'right - wrong' issue, breaking FH's mystique of dignity... honor... family... (you fill in the rest).

Reality is what we do. Persona is what we cloak it in. Appel wins games and championships. His career has been one of getting a bunch of young men together and consistently going downstate to shine a positive light on Cumberland. Who else in town can claim the same.

Appel lives in reality... well, until someone sticks a mic in his face. But so what.... So he burns a few verbal plantations down like Sherman marching to the sea... Appel, like Sherman, gets there. So... let's all pull the holier-than-thou stake out of the ground and stop being a bunch of hyperbolic moralizers about a canceled game.

Last edited:
I keep reading this thread wondering why I agree with Appel canceling the CP game while FH fans and others see the cancellation as some sort of 'right - wrong' issue, breaking FH's mystique of dignity... honor... family... (you fill in the rest).

Reality is what we do. Persona is what we cloak it in. Appel wins games and championships. His career has been one of getting a bunch of young men together and consistently going downstate to shine a positive light on Cumberland. Who else in town can claim the same.

Appel lives in reality... well, until someone sticks a mic in his face. But so what.... So he burns a few verbal plantations down like Sherman marching to the sea... Appel, like Sherman, gets there. So... let's all pull the holier-than-thou stake out of the ground and stop being a bunch of hyperbolic moralizers about a canceled game.
Thank you for being a voice of reason.

Couldnt' have said that better. Everyone involved with these dumping of contracts needs to be held accountable including FH and all the state committees for allowing it to happen.

FYI, Penns Grove called FH about playing that mid-October date. I was wondering if their deal with Linganore was a one year deal. They do return their running back Nasir Robinson who ran for over 1600 yards last year. He has a handful of D1 offers. What did you think of him?

For those that don't know...Penns Grove beat Linganore 34-6 last year in Frederick. It was the only regular season loss for the Lancers who went on to be defeated by Damascus in the 3A title match in Annapolis. Penns Grove is out of Carney's Point, NJ just outside of Philly.

Sounds like I may not have to make that trip to NJ which is fine by me! Something about this game seemed a little off anyways as it was originally scheduled to be played at Penns Grove and then right before the season started, or possibly even after the season began, it was moved to Linganore. PG went on and won the South/Central Section (NJ's version of the State Championship) and then got trounced in the Bowl game by the North Section champ, which I think goes to show the quality of football in NJ. Not to mention PG is about the size of Clear Spring and plays in the smallest classification.

As for Robinson, he didn't have blazing speed (he was still quick though) but he was incredibly powerful. He, and Penns Grove in general, was a matchup nightmare for Linganore, especially considering we weren't an overly stellar tackling team. The thing about PG was that that if you keyed on Robinson, they were just as proficient at throwing the ball so you had to pick your poison. The fact that Linganore turned the ball over 3 times on their first 3 possessions, all inside of their own territory, didn't help matters any. It would have been interesting to see a PG-Damascus matchup. Much like PG, Damascus was a matchup nightmare for Linganore and I think PG may have had the size, speed and multidimensional offense to at least keep the game close.

I agree with 99% of what you're saying. But don't forget the Red Jackets planted the "holier-than-thou stake" in the ground in the first place. I have said numerous times that it's smart to schedule strategically to get home field throughout the playoffs. If the schedule you are playing is winning titles year after year why mess with success? I just said be honest about it. So yes, moving forward lets "live in reality". Don't run around town telling your fan base you can't find schools willing to play you. Just tell them the truth that some schools don't want to get beat by FH and there are some schools FH doesn't want to play and get beat by. It's not an easy balance and I totally understand it can result in scheduling issues. So "live in reality", stop the nonsense about FH wins because they work so much harder than other schools. Every school in the state is lifting weights in January. A lot of programs are based around dignity, honor and family values. What happens in Western Maryland are the same things that happen downstate - both the positive and negative things about high school athletics.

I agree with 99% of what you're saying. But don't forget the Red Jackets planted the "holier-than-thou stake" in the ground in the first place. I have said numerous times that it's smart to schedule strategically to get home field throughout the playoffs. If the schedule you are playing is winning titles year after year why mess with success? I just said be honest about it. So yes, moving forward lets "live in reality". Don't run around town telling your fan base you can't find schools willing to play you. Just tell them the truth that some schools don't want to get beat by FH and there are some schools FH doesn't want to play and get beat by. It's not an easy balance and I totally understand it can result in scheduling issues. So "live in reality", stop the nonsense about FH wins because they work so much harder than other schools. Every school in the state is lifting weights in January. A lot of programs are based around dignity, honor and family values. What happens in Western Maryland are the same things that happen downstate - both the positive and negative things about high school athletics.

Appel has been doing exactly what was expected of him and its paid off in many ways. Massaging the FH schedule has been part of it. Folks should not take a moral stand when morality had nothing to do with winning championships - that, to me, is the reality. This dignity, honor and family values thing is merely an image put forward. Fans should not excuse all the other crap and suddenly get up on a high horse about a canceled game. That was the point I was trying to make.

I could have explained things better I guess. Appel's methods took a real beating at Catoctin. He's paid enough dues so let him try and work out an acceptable exit. Canceling CP is step one. He is not going to change his offense or defense. And surely, he ain't moving his ass down on the field to be with the team. So.... change the schedule and pray that Catoctin is weaker and Dunbar ain't any better.

You have summed this up perfectly. Those red jackets you speak of are almost blinded by everything Appel says and does.If they would objectively listen to what you are saying and realize the man they have put so high on a pedestal is just a man, he's not perfect, and he's not a saint, it would be much easier to accept they have viewpoints and opinions that are not 100% biased. If he hadn't won so much a lot of his behaviors/words would not be tolerated. I think it only hurts him and the credibility of fh fans when he is worshiped and allowed to say one thing about his opponents and then do the same exact thing when it suits his needs. As a fh alum I hate the message it sends. However, as much as I have criticized his actions and words, it doesn't mean I can't see and appreciate all the good he has done for the guys over the years. What is truly annoying is all this talk of retirement that comes up every year, and yet it never happens. Whose really putting it out there? If he's canceling games next year then isn't it obvious he's not retiring? What could he gain by canceling a game, getting shit for doing it, then retiring? It seems to be a pattern of woe is me, it's so tough being me, being the fh coach, having to play teams that recruit, having to play teams with more enthusiastic fan bases, having to coach kids with bad grades and family problems, on and on and on. We get it, and it's old and boring and tiresome. Nobody makes him be the coach, if it's that bad, then just move on. He has used us all his passes on the schedule at this point because nobody is ever going to forget canceling this game....but I think he'll find something else to move onto very quickly.

Todd. You may be able to get this schedule approved.
Hancock
Elk garden
Hundred
Silver oak
Green street
Westinghouse
Capital Christian
Berlin
Allegany
I know a couple of the schools may have folded but hopefully we can get the forfeit win!!

Reactions: Lagmeister
Hancock
Elk garden
Hundred
Silver oak
Green street
Westinghouse
Capital Christian
Berlin
Allegany
I know a couple of the schools may have folded but hopefully we can get the forfeit win!!

Even though you made an attempt to be funny, this is how far removed you are from reality.

Capital Christian folded up the program

Every other team on there would not play the FH JV team outside of Silver Oak who has played both Alco and FH for 8 or 9 years in a row. They also play St. Frances and Mount St. Joseph.

Of course then there is Alco, which some of their fans on this board feel shouldn't play FH to avoid further embarassment.

Hancock
Elk garden
Hundred
Silver oak
Green street
Westinghouse
Capital Christian
Berlin
Allegany
Elk garden kids go to keyser now so don't hold your breath

Even though you made an attempt to be funny, this is how far removed you are from reality.

Capital Christian folded up the program

Every other team on there would not play the FH JV team outside of Silver Oak who has played both Alco and FH for 8 or 9 years in a row. They also play St. Frances and Mount St. Joseph.

Of course then there is Alco, which some of their fans on this board feel shouldn't play FH to avoid further embarassment.

Those young men from Alco fought like junkyard dogs and should be proud of their effort at homecoming. They were still learning their new positions for cripes sake. It was 10 times a better effort than FH displayed against Catoctin. In fact, FH's coaching and on the field effort was the greatest embarrassment suffered by either school in my lifetime. Laying down instead of being tackled... dropping snaps... standing around or waving at a runner going by them... (I think the Commercial vid is still up if you doubt me.)

Time to drop the old talking points and enjoy the future as the only game in town... such as it is.

(Oh, and spare me the Silver Oak shit when the Alco jv kids played out of position with no real practice.)

Reactions: RedPride97
Hancock
Elk garden
Hundred
Silver oak
Green street
Westinghouse
Capital Christian
Berlin
Allegany

I get the humor as intended.

Reactions: RedPride97
In other words you ain't got shit.

I've been thinking about your post and in a broad view there is insight there. A trophy on the shelf means not-so-much if you didn't personally get in the game. Grads bragging up their high school football team means even less if they never played in any of the games.

This is all separate from a sense of pride for one's community, of which the appreciation of courage and achievement in youth sports is but a part, and winning is but a smaller part of that.

I've been thinking about your post and in a broad view there is insight there. A trophy on the shelf means not-so-much if you didn't personally get in the game. Grads bragging up their high school football team means even less if they never played in any of the games.

This is all separate from a sense of pride for one's community, of which the appreciation of courage and achievement in youth sports is but a part, and winning is but a smaller part of that.
I don't like the whole we got 8 shit because if you weren't on one of those great teams why ride ther coat tales. For me be proud of what you and your buddy's acomplished in your time. Can you be proud of what your school has accomplished absolutely. But we got 8 is some petty shit if you weren't part of any of those teams

Reactions: Lagmeister
I don't like the whole we got 8 shit because if you weren't on one of those great teams why ride ther coat tales. For me be proud of what you and your buddy's acomplished in your time. Can you be proud of what your school has accomplished absolutely. But we got 8 is some petty shit if you weren't part of any of those teams
Red I usually agree with your posts but you are kind of drawing a line, where does it stop and start. The coach doesn't play, but obviously you'd include him. Are all the assistants included, how about the personal trainer...okay, maybe. Are the cheerleaders, the band, the parents who drive the kids from pee wee until they are 16 to each and every practice. How about school administration that oversees all student activities. I mean, there are a lot of things that make up a team, and it's not just those who participate. On that note, what about the players who never play. They do go to practice, they are there to support if nothing else...but did they earn the trophy. I'm just looking at another side and asking how you feel about all those things. I do NOT agree with anything 8 says, so don't even think I'm supporting or agreeing with him.

Red I usually agree with your posts but you are kind of drawing a line, where does it stop and start. The coach doesn't play, but obviously you'd include him. Are all the assistants included, how about the personal trainer...okay, maybe. Are the cheerleaders, the band, the parents who drive the kids from pee wee until they are 16 to each and every practice. How about school administration that oversees all student activities. I mean, there are a lot of things that make up a team, and it's not just those who participate. On that note, what about the players who never play. They do go to practice, they are there to support if nothing else...but did they earn the trophy. I'm just looking at another side and asking how you feel about all those things. I do NOT agree with anything 8 says, so don't even think I'm supporting or agreeing with him.
Your on point anybody who has had a hand in molding championship caliber team certainly is a part of that team the guys who didn't start for sure most of them spend 4 days a week getting thier asses kicked in practice so the 1s are sharp support groups such as cheerleaders band training staff absolutely get some credit. But if you are just chest beating we got 8 and you didn't have a hand in thier then just be proud of your school and shut up

Here's the thing.... I can disagree with stuff but I can also not mind it. Which is to say that when you add up the 'petty shit' posted in here lo these many years his doesn't even float into view. The 'WeHave8' handle is nothing more than a quirky smile provoker or a nose-turner-upper. In many cases it has been the lone jab at the never ending FH tub-thumping.

Asking what team he played on is fair game. His joke about FH scheduling is equal fair game.

Here's the thing.... I can disagree with stuff but I can also not mind it. Which is to say that when you add up the 'petty shit' posted in here lo these many years his doesn't even float into view. The 'WeHave8' handle is nothing more than a quirky smile provoker or a nose-turner-upper. In many cases it has been the lone jab at the never ending FH tub-thumping.

Asking what team he played on is fair game. His joke about FH scheduling is equal fair game.
I totally agree because the FH scheduling is a joke i hate watching blow outs. And when you make a deal stick to it even if you lose. The handle of 8 is a joke in itself.

Why is it more of a joke than redpride97? My handle is stating a fact, yours is based solely on emotion. Maybe after a 22 year drought of not winning the big game, 1997 was special for you. I also served 8 years in the military, most of those overseas. So I didn't get to any games during those years, too busy giving back to the country while you were standing in the concession line at Greenway, proudly wearing your 97 FH jacket. When I pass away, an individual will hand my family an American flag with the words " On behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation........My flag trumps your jacket.

Why is it more of a joke than redpride97? My handle is stating a fact, yours is based solely on emotion. Maybe after a 22 year drought of not winning the big game, 1997 was special for you. I also served 8 years in the military, most of those overseas. So I didn't get to any games during those years, too busy giving back to the country while you were standing in the concession line at Greenway, proudly wearing your 97 FH jacket. When I pass away, an individual will hand my family an American flag with the words " On behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation........My flag trumps your jacket.

Bad form to denigrate those for whom you were sworn to defend. Shows a lack of maturity. Probably best that you did your time and got out. Thank you for your service but no thanks for your judgement.

Bad form to denigrate those for whom you were sworn to defend. Shows a lack of maturity. Probably best that you did your time and got out. Thank you for your service but no thanks for your judgement.
I didn't fire the first round in this battle. Did you do "your time" or as someone once said " the less that you give your a taker."

First of all thank you for your service. Now this is about football not the military so it baffles me why you change topics here. No i didn't serve in the military and the ring that i got I've never worn much kinda just sits in the sock drawer it was an accomplishment as a teenager so i am proud of that. You should be proud of your service but why bring it up here for any reason other than maybe insecurity ? I don't know. And again thank you for your service

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT