ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to the Allegany kids

Geno60

Junior Varsity Reader
Sep 2, 2019
Unlike seemingly anyone else on this site I want to give the Allegany football team some credit.The game didn't go well for them Friday night but I saw no quit in them.They played until the very end.There was no quit in them regardless of what they've been through this year.For those of you on here whos whole identity is tied to how well the kids at the local school do on the football field it's really ok to credit kids who are doing their best to compete.

Last edited:
Thank you Geno60...that has needed to be said for a long time! :)

Friday night was the 105th meeting between Keyser and Allegany and Alco has always been classy in wins or losses. I'm sure Allegany will be back.By the way that #53 for the Campers who I was told is a So. is a heck of a football player.

Good post Geno and I will agree to that. That is a tough situation for sure and my hat goes off to the players, coaches and others involved with the program. Stay positive and keep trying to improve for the future.

Thank you Geno60...that has needed to be said for a long time! :)

These young kids may lack the talent to win these games but for every time they show up and hug their dragon on the field they build respect from the people that really matter. For just playing their hearts out and finishing this season they are the sports heroes of the city and Hansel is the real coach of the year.

53 is a junior Dylan Hogemier, everyone playing except a very few are Sophomores or Juniors

Geno60: Nice post and you are right. Allegany and Keyser have my respect for the way they handle wins and losses. Allegany will be back for sure. I hope the lad that was taken by ambulance from the field will be ok. Good Luck to the Campers the rest of the year.

Pap, It’s difficult to gauge how FH takes a loss. There have been so few. Since 2013 FH is like 87-4. I know this will bring on a storm of venom but it’s true. I will say that when Keyser upset FH in 2015 I thought FH handled it well. Appel was very complimentary of Keysers efforts and game plan. 2 others were beat downs by Friendship and ECP. Then you have Dunbar in the Finals in 2017 which again I believe the loss was handled with dignity. The FH folks that I know have tremendous respect for the Dunbar staff and program. And as far as being a good winner, people that don’t win hate winners so FH probably won’t be judged fairly in that area. Just my opinion but I believe that other than a few goofballs that ra ra red to the point of fanaticism, Fort Hill is appropriate as anyone when they win or lose. Ok Lag go ahead I’m waiting

The main thing is how they respond from losses....2015 the loss to keyser was the best thing that happened to fh that year....they put graves at qb and went on to win the title.....friendships beat down was followed by a state title run which fell short to Dunbar....in response to the Dunbar loss they went undefeated the next year and won the title....the jury is out on how they will respond to the ECP loss but if history repeats itself I’m sure it will be positive####winnersneverquit#####only losers make excuses

Pap, It’s difficult to gauge how FH takes a loss. There have been so few. Since 2013 FH is like 87-4. I know this will bring on a storm of venom but it’s true. I will say that when Keyser upset FH in 2015 I thought FH handled it well. Appel was very complimentary of Keysers efforts and game plan. 2 others were beat downs by Friendship and ECP. Then you have Dunbar in the Finals in 2017 which again I believe the loss was handled with dignity. The FH folks that I know have tremendous respect for the Dunbar staff and program. And as far as being a good winner, people that don’t win hate winners so FH probably won’t be judged fairly in that area. Just my opinion but I believe that other than a few goofballs that ra ra red to the point of fanaticism, Fort Hill is appropriate as anyone when they win or lose. Ok Lag go ahead I’m waiting

Ok Lag go ahead I’m waiting

At your request...

OK Appel, go ahead and meltdown at your next loss, I'm waiting. It will be a long wait due to the patsy walk and probable gimme-ring. But I am a patient man. At Alco's collapse, you'll get a few transfers while still in 1A... but it's all coaching as we well know.

Last edited:

Keyser's win in 2015 wasn't an upset.Keyser was simply the better team that year.They were bigger,stronger and more physical.They could have played all weekend and Keyser would've scored everytime they had the ball.Fort Hill made it look closer then it was with their late TD with Keyser playing prevent.But leave it to someone from Fort Hill to highjack a thread giving Alco credit for something.Fort Hill fans are so insecure.Insecure people aren't capable of giving anyone else credit because of their own mental weaknesses.

Keyser's win in 2015 wasn't an upset.Keyser was simply the better team that year.They were bigger,stronger and more physical.They could have played all weekend and Keyser would've scored everytime they had the ball.Fort Hill made it look closer then it was with their late TD with Keyser playing prevent.But leave it to someone from Fort Hill to highjack a thread giving Alco credit for something.Fort Hill fans are so insecure.Insecure people aren't capable of giving anyone else credit because of their own mental weaknesses.

Fort Hill made it look closer? Fort Hill had a two touchdown lead in that game. To their credit, the Keyser kids persevered and came back to win. Fort Hill fans insecure? That's funny coming from a Keyser supporter.

Reactions: Over the top we go
You’re a dreamer Geno. Keyser lost to Hampshire the next week. Rein Smith got hurt that game or FH wins easy. Get that hate out of your way. No one took anything from Alco. FH beat the brakes off Keyser in 16, and 17 to the tune of 100-0. Keyser was very good but not as good as FH with a healthy Rein Smith.

It was 26-12 at one point in that game. Credit to Keyser for withstanding and coming back from that deficit, but that's an upset.

Rein Smith hurt his ankle in the 2nd quarter when FH was doing what they wanted. Geno, if he was being fair would have pointed that out

Smith had about 9 yards on 6 carries.when he got hurt.You're right. He was a difference maker.lolKeyser scored everytime they had the ball in the second half.Appel himself said after the game on the radio that he tried the onsides kick because he knew they couldn't stop Keyser.The better team clearly won that game. My favorite Keyser-Fort Hill game was 2012.After Keyser put their JV's in leading 51-14 Fort Hill left their starters in and scored and then went for 2.Against Keyser's JV's.lol.Now that's funny.Of course i'm sure that was was an upset too.

Unlike seemingly anyone else on this site I want to give the Allegany football team some credit.The game didn't go well for them Friday night but I saw no quit in them.They played until the very end.There was no quit in them regardless of what they've been through this year.For those of you on here whos whole identity is tied to how well the kids at the local school do on the football field it's really ok to credit kids who are doing their best to compete.

That's a great call out, Geno. Looks like the Alco guys on the board, myself included, appreciate someone noticing that even though we're in the middle of a crap run, the kids are playing hard and learning how to fight. They're learning a lot of life lessons right now at the expense of being part of a winning program.

The question is and will remain, until it's fixed, that even though injuries have killed us this year... how do we rebuild?

One of the things that's seriously overlooked is coaching talent. We talk about roster talent on here all the time, which is obviously a factor. But unless there are a handful of qualified guys around town who are prepared to lead local programs to success, then that's a concern for everyone.

If you're FH and Appel retires this year, who gets the head job? If the decision makers decide in November that Bryan Hansel is done, who do we plug in?

We're clearly in a different position than FH, and I'm sure they're a lot more capable of promoting someone from within that's likely able to continue their level of success. But we're in a way different place, and with people already hoping Hansel gets canned in a few weeks, whether it happens or not, we'd be wise to have a short list of guys ready to call on at any moment.

That's a great call out, Geno. Looks like the Alco guys on the board, myself included, appreciate someone noticing that even though we're in the middle of a crap run, the kids are playing hard and learning how to fight. They're learning a lot of life lessons right now at the expense of being part of a winning program.

The question is and will remain, until it's fixed, that even though injuries have killed us this year... how do we rebuild?

One of the things that's seriously overlooked is coaching talent. We talk about roster talent on here all the time, which is obviously a factor. But unless there are a handful of qualified guys around town who are prepared to lead local programs to success, then that's a concern for everyone.

If you're FH and Appel retires this year, who gets the head job? If the decision makers decide in November that Bryan Hansel is done, who do we plug in?

We're clearly in a different position than FH, and I'm sure they're a lot more capable of promoting someone from within that's likely able to continue their level of success. But we're in a way different place, and with people already hoping Hansel gets canned in a few weeks, whether it happens or not, we'd be wise to have a short list of guys ready to call on at any moment.
He can't get canned for not winning.

Shook will have the job at FH when coach decides it's time to go

How could it be patsy when you place so much emphasis on Allegany a win over Dunbar who is still in 1A

That's patsies to the championship game and unless FH runs into its choke-a-luff-a-cuss with Dunbar, it's virtually a gimme-ring. Yes, I am very consistent here. And why not post my mind when this forum is abound with its bullshit perspective of its-all-coaching, shade-tossing shit at Hansel. I could post things like, "Fug Y'all" but I am too much of a gentleman.

I appreciate all the BS that is shared back and forth but would someone from Cumberland answer my question about the player for Alco who was carted off the field. Is he ok?? Thanks to all.

When Hansel was hired it seemed it was immediately following the exit of the korn...I simply asked "who is this guy, where did he come from, was the hiring process fair" and I got a lashing from alco supporters saying he'd been around and the kids loved him and he'd be the perfect guy and some rather unpleasant words about my simply questioning not accusing. Now it would seem like those same people have changed their tune. Maybe he was the perfect guy at the time and it just didn't work out. You just never know what you will get next, sometimes what you have isn't so bad.

Until allegany fans start building up their youth league and bring in good coaches we can give them participation trophies for getting crushed by the 4th to 5th best team in wv small ball

I appreciate all the BS that is shared back and forth but would someone from Cumberland answer my question about the player for Alco who was carted off the field. Is he ok?? Thanks to all.

I am told he is okay, and should be back on the field. I dont know what the specific injury was, but apparently it was more precautionary in nature.

The player Braylon White is fine it was just a “stinger” all test negative and the next morning he was up and going. Braylon is a sophomore, not ready for varsity play yet as many aren’t, but he will be in a few years

What’s the all time series record between fh and keyser....oh it’s not even close....every now and then a blind squirrel finds an acorn....they dropped fh and now they got a good team geno60 wants to talk tough

When Hansel was hired it seemed it was immediately following the exit of the korn...I simply asked "who is this guy, where did he come from, was the hiring process fair" and I got a lashing from alco supporters saying he'd been around and the kids loved him and he'd be the perfect guy and some rather unpleasant words about my simply questioning not accusing. Now it would seem like those same people have changed their tune. Maybe he was the perfect guy at the time and it just didn't work out. You just never know what you will get next, sometimes what you have isn't so bad.

Myself and a few other former Alco guys from different teams who knew him were in favor of the hire, because to answer your questions at the time of "Who is this guy" and Where did he come from"; he was an Alco guy all the way, played there, lead the 2005 team to a state title, was Player of the Year and then started a couple of seasons for Shepherd University. So for those reasons, for the fact that he'd been back home and coaching for a few years, was a classroom teacher and seemed to have the energy, internal buy-in and willingness to lead the program in a positive direction, the Alco side of town thought it was a good move. And early on, it was.

But there's two ways of looking at it now: either his run could be over because it just hasn't worked out, or, this is just an anomaly year where things beyond his control are why the Alco program is nowhere near the position it used to be in or needs to be in. Regardless, I doubt he gets replaced this year because things back home just don't move at that speed.

As far as your question of "Was the hiring process fair?" - that's a good question that I actually never thought about. There are factors that can indicate that it wasn't fair, but I don't know those policies because I don't work in public education. Bottom line is, and I touched on this in an earlier post on another thread about coaching talent in the area... who else would we have hired?

Not Foley, and not really any other Alco assistants at the time that I can remember. Especially not Scott Bauer because as we all identified last week, no one from that family is a good guy or can be trusted lol. Actually, for everyone with an IQ above 70, Bauer didn't want the head job because with having a family and being head baseball coach, it would be very hard for him or anyone in that position to be 100% dedicated to the head job and everything that it requires. We all agreed that he's a guy you want on staff though, no question about that.

So anyway, Nova, it seems like in typical Cumberland fashion, you were berated for asking those questions back then... smh. Hopefully the above helps with why Hansel was brought in without having angry Alco fans feel like you went all Tony54 on them. :)

playing prevent.But leave it to someone from Fort Hill to highjack a thread giving Alco credit for something.Fort Hill fans are so insecure.Insecure people aren't capable of giving anyone else credit because of their own mental weaknesses.[/QUOTE]
Myself and a few other former Alco guys from different teams who knew him were in favor of the hire, because to answer your questions at the time of "Who is this guy" and Where did he come from"; he was an Alco guy all the way, played there, lead the 2005 team to a state title, was Player of the Year and then started a couple of seasons for Shepherd University. So for those reasons, for the fact that he'd been back home and coaching for a few years, was a classroom teacher and seemed to have the energy, internal buy-in and willingness to lead the program in a positive direction, the Alco side of town thought it was a good move. And early on, it was.

But there's two ways of looking at it now: either his run could be over because it just hasn't worked out, or, this is just an anomaly year where things beyond his control are why the Alco program is nowhere near the position it used to be in or needs to be in. Regardless, I doubt he gets replaced this year because things back home just don't move at that speed.

As far as your question of "Was the hiring process fair?" - that's a good question that I actually never thought about. There are factors that can indicate that it wasn't fair, but I don't know those policies because I don't work in public education. Bottom line is, and I touched on this in an earlier post on another thread about coaching talent in the area... who else would we have hired?

Not Foley, and not really any other Alco assistants at the time that I can remember. Especially not Scott Bauer because as we all identified last week, no one from that family is a good guy or can be trusted lol. Actually, for everyone with an IQ above 70, Bauer didn't want the head job because with having a family and being head baseball coach, it would be very hard for him or anyone in that position to be 100% dedicated to the head job and everything that it requires. We all agreed that he's a guy you want on staff though, no question about that.

So anyway, Nova, it seems like in typical Cumberland fashion, you were berated for asking those questions back then... smh. Hopefully the above helps with why Hansel was brought in without having angry Alco fans feel like you went all Tony54 on them. :)

Sorry if that seemed a little harsh . I was responding to Geno who is obviously trying to stir things up. Like almost all FortHill fans, I am an Allegany fan also. Like I’ve said before, I listen to their games and root for them. I point out Fort Hill flaws too but I never understood the hatred for fort hill football.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
I think there is a perfect storm of crap at Alco right now. I dont think Hansel, per se, is a bad coach - I just think he is overwhelmed with the whole breadth of everything; hell, who wouldn't be aside from a veteran coach who has already earned those stripes and been through it all? The injuries, low numbers are what they are, overall interest in football seems to be low in general as we've discussed ad nauseum. I'd like to see him reevaluate things and get the progeam back on track for next year. He needs to not get himself involved in crazy politics, such as getting himself in the mix with the whole Southern Helmetgate accusations (that was a bad move on his part to text kids about that)

And I'm really not trying to pick on the guy, but one last thing. Why does he run out of the teepee first in line with the players? That doesn't seem very head-coachy to me. Walk out with the other coaches, your crew. After the team. Petty maybe, but it has always kinda rubbed me wrong.

Anyhoo, I just hope the program gets righted.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Brian is anything but a bad coach. He is a good coach and a quality guy. I think he made a few mistakes along the way but who hasn’t. I still believe Randy Stewart is the guy that could bring Alco back. I’d love to work with Randy. He has a ton of knowledge and enthusiasm. I’d wear Alco gear if Randy took over at least until HC anyway

playing prevent.But leave it to someone from Fort Hill to highjack a thread giving Alco credit for something.Fort Hill fans are so insecure.Insecure people aren't capable of giving anyone else credit because of their own mental weaknesses.

Sorry if that seemed a little harsh . I was responding to Geno who is obviously trying to stir things up. Like almost all FortHill fans, I am an Allegany fan also. Like I’ve said before, I listen to their games and root for them. I point out Fort Hill flaws too but I never understood the hatred for fort hill football.[/QUOTE]

I never understood the hatred for fort hill football

Because by and large it doesn't exist for most folks who grew up in Cumberland during its golden years. I attend more FH games than Alco games. I cheer the team on.

What I don't like is your coach. Not how he runs the team but how he runs his mouth. This forum? I don't take it too seriously. I enjoy the banter but what the hell.

As far as high school football in Cumberland goes, it is a fait accompli and there isn't a damn thing that can be done regardless of chest thumping or ground level humping. Too gone. Too far.

[QUOTE="FHHSAHS, post: 51473,
And I'm really not trying to pick on the guy, but one last thing. Why does he run out of the teepee first in line with the players? That doesn't seem very head-coachy to me. Walk out with the other coaches, your crew. After the team. Petty maybe, but it has always kinda rubbed me wrong.

Anyhoo, I just hope the program gets righted.[/QUOTE]
I think he is a Notre Dame Fan and The Head Coach at Notre Dame has always led the Team onto The Field and other Coaches are behind the Team. The Head Coach leading the Team out to me makes him a Leader in that aspect. Miami Coach Jimmy Johnson used to do the exact thing.
9:55 mark and 11:25 mark in this video. Also Brian Kelly and Every Notre Dame Coach has always done this and it was very common back in the day.

What’s the all time series record between fh and keyser....oh it’s not even close....every now and then a blind squirrel finds an acorn....they dropped fh and now they got a good team geno60 wants to talk tough

All those Fort Hill wins before the last 12-15 years was when Fort Hill had twice as many students as Keyser.Same with their series lead against Martinsburg. The difference is Keyser played Fort Hill when they were twice as big as Keyser but Fort Hill ran from Martinsburg when the enrollment numbers turned in Martinsburg's favor.

So Keyser dropped Fort Hill so now they're good.lol.Keyser is 7th all time in wins in West Virginia and have 3 titles.All in 2A.Fort Hill had what one title before they dropped to little 1A.Congrats on all those little school titles.Fort Hill seems to love being the big fish in a little pond.Helmick should call Hancock.After all they are in the same class.lol.

All those Fort Hill wins before the last 12-15 years was when Fort Hill had twice as many students as Keyser.Same with their series lead against Martinsburg. The difference is Keyser played Fort Hill when they were twice as big as Keyser but Fort Hill ran from Martinsburg when the enrollment numbers turned in Martinsburg's favor.

So Keyser dropped Fort Hill so now they're good.lol.Keyser is 7th all time in wins in West Virginia and have 3 titles.All in 2A.Fort Hill had what one title before they dropped to little 1A.Congrats on all those little school titles.Fort Hill seems to love being the big fish in a little pond.Helmick should call Hancock.After all they are in the same class.lol.

images

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT