ADVERTISEMENT

JV - Fort Hill 40 Alco 7

Alco JVs looked like they wanted nothing to do with playing tonight from the get go

Alco JVs looked like they wanted nothing to do with playing tonight from the get go

Opening kickoff ran back for a TD kinda got them down way too fast. I think these FH sophomores are extremely good..but Alco played pretty uninspired, and that didnt help the score.

I don't see how you can judge a JV team when ALCO has moved up so many 10th graders to varsity and FH has 1 moved up .FH was in this situation last year at the JV level not just kids up to varsity but had a few injuries... I'm not taking anything away from FH at all it was a great win , I'm just not as quick to judge a team of 10th grade kids as fast as some people on this board.

How many sophs are on Alco's varsity team? I only see two on their roster.

They were way better at the Middle School level as Patriots blew out the Warriors. It seemed the Warriors had the players just got outcoached big time by Patriots but maybe not. Obviously they are still better.

Big change in that alco freshman sweep FH last year

That's usually the case of the FH program. Weight room, and drills make a huge difference. We got beat by 15 in season opener as freshman when I was in school. Won 52-0 little homecoming end of sophomore season

I don't see how you can judge a JV team when ALCO has moved up so many 10th graders to varsity and FH has 1 moved up .FH was in this situation last year at the JV level not just kids up to varsity but had a few injuries... I'm not taking anything away from FH at all it was a great win , I'm just not as quick to judge a team of 10th grade kids as fast as some people on this board.

How many 10th graders are on Alco varsity? As someone mentioned above, I only see a couple on the roster.

Might want to start keeping them on JV cause it sure hasn't worked real well as of late. 8 or 9 in a row. Always an excuse from blue side. Prescorn, refs graduated from FH, blah blah blah

How do we know anything coming out of Allegany. The school page still has last year's schedule and team pictures... Jailerman's site is frozen and MaxPreps is incomplete at best. And before we get too deep in the Camper bashing weeds let me go on record as saying the talent demographics has favored FH for the last several years and will so for the foreseeable future. Weight lifting and drills did not give FH Ty Johnson or Brayden Brown... God did.

Weight lifting and drills did not give FH Ty Johnson or Brayden Brown... God did.

With all due respect, while they both possessed natural talent, they work their asses off to succeed to the capacity they have. A lot of them do..Poling, Conley, etc... Ty was fast, but he got (and continues to get) stronger every year...don't know if you got to see him play at Maryland this past weekend, but his legs are ginormous...he has put on something like 25 pounds of muscle weight.

I understand where you are coming from, but I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't remind folks of the almost inhuman amount of hours some of these kids put into weight lifting and studying game films and practicing, etc...God given talent will get you so far, but hard work makes you a success.

Sitting with my buddy at the game last night and Carson Snyder, #21 from the Freshman team came up into the stands with his parents after the game. He was still wearing his under armor shirt..and the kid was already on the path to solid muscle. Some of that is genetics, but those muscles were from his dedication to off season weight training and drilling. He was an 8th grader last year, and is already fully entrenched into the program. Same goes with Poling, Hamilton..and Conley. Any of you who knew young Conley as an underclassmen know how he has transformed himself into the force he is now. It's pervasive through the program, it's not just a couple kids...it's the team mindset. And the bar has been set so high recently that kids just keep getting stronger and stronger to stay viable as starters.

Y'all know me as a FH homer, and I almost always speak highly of the program, but unless I'm arguing with Boyz or bigsavage, I think I'm usually pretty even keeled on the whole thing. But after watching the frosh and JV's last night, I'm telling you..FH has hit a stride that hasn't been seen in a long time. What Allegany accomplished in the late 70's into the 80's was the result of a programmatic change. The rise of the wing-T and running it to perfection. What Fort Hill has done over these last few years is similar in that it is a programmatic change. The weight program has always been good..but it's better. The coaching has always been good...but it's better. The players have always been good...but they're better.

Call me a homer, cause I know I am...but something very special is going on at FH right now. If they can hang onto the momentum and keep that drive alive, they may very well exceed anyone's true expectations for quite a few more years. Will they lose occasional games? Sure..I'm not saying they will be unbeatable, but they are in the middle of something very very good.

Okay, done on the soapbox.

With all due respect, while they both possessed natural talent, they work their asses off to succeed to the capacity they have. A lot of them do..Poling, Conley, etc... Ty was fast, but he got (and continues to get) stronger every year...don't know if you got to see him play at Maryland this past weekend, but his legs are ginormous...he has put on something like 25 pounds of muscle weight.

I understand where you are coming from, but I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't remind folks of the almost inhuman amount of hours some of these kids put into weight lifting and studying game films and practicing, etc...God given talent will get you so far, but hard work makes you a success.

Sitting with my buddy at the game last night and Carson Snyder, #21 from the Freshman team came up into the stands with his parents after the game. He was still wearing his under armor shirt..and the kid was already on the path to solid muscle. Some of that is genetics, but those muscles were from his dedication to off season weight training and drilling. He was an 8th grader last year, and is already fully entrenched into the program. Same goes with Poling, Hamilton..and Conley. Any of you who knew young Conley as an underclassmen know how he has transformed himself into the force he is now. It's pervasive through the program, it's not just a couple kids...it's the team mindset. And the bar has been set so high recently that kids just keep getting stronger and stronger to stay viable as starters.

Y'all know me as a FH homer, and I almost always speak highly of the program, but unless I'm arguing with Boyz or bigsavage, I think I'm usually pretty even keeled on the whole thing. But after watching the frosh and JV's last night, I'm telling you..FH has hit a stride that hasn't been seen in a long time. What Allegany accomplished in the late 70's into the 80's was the result of a programmatic change. The rise of the wing-T and running it to perfection. What Fort Hill has done over these last few years is similar in that it is a programmatic change. The weight program has always been good..but it's better. The coaching has always been good...but it's better. The players have always been good...but they're better.

Call me a homer, cause I know I am...but something very special is going on at FH right now. If they can hang onto the momentum and keep that drive alive, they may very well exceed anyone's true expectations for quite a few more years. Will they lose occasional games? Sure..I'm not saying they will be unbeatable, but they are in the middle of something very very good.

I don't think we see anything all that differently. The traditions and current FH program might be the best in the state. However, the biggest difference in the 70's - 80's versus now - such is my contention - is the talent pool. The mere fact that I point it out does not negate coaching or player effort. As Cumberland shrinks, the demographics become more pronounced. For whatever reason, the smaller pool of available talent favors FH.

The talent difference on last year's Alco/FH teams were greatly in favor of FH - but Allegany held with FH better than any other 1A team in the state. Weight lifting? Surely not coaching. This year FH should be at least a 30 point prohibitive favorite. Weight lifting? Coaching?

Okay from not a FH homer...
1. Fort Hill is on a roll...
2. Dunbar is now 2A
3. Maryland 1A outside of the West region isn't on par with WV single A, that's bad..

I keep hearing and reading about this being FH's best team ever, even from other teams besides FH fans.. My opinion, hell no and not by a long shot..Those FH 3A teams in the early mid 90's would physically pound these recent teams into the ground..Don't lose sight of the big difference in size of 3A and 1A...

Those Fort Hill teams of the 90s were 2A teams. You have to go back to the 80s to find 3A Fort Hill teams. While it is impossible to compare teams of different eras, and I would never disrespect teams of the past, these kids these days are consistently blowing up all of Fort Hill's weight lifting records, and Ty Johnson and Brayden Brown can run step for step with even the greatest of the greats. These modern teams, are every bit as fast and physically way stronger than players of the past, with few exceptions. There is certainly a question about the talent pool being larger back in the day, but with 104 kids in the program this year, there is plenty of talent to go around. I have no idea what would happen if teams from different eras played, but all the advances and tools available to the dedicated athletes of today are producing bigger, faster, and stronger athletes in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502
2. Dunbar is now 2A
3. Maryland 1A outside of the West region isn't on par with WV single A, that's bad..

I keep hearing and reading about this being FH's best team ever, even from other teams besides FH fans.. My opinion, hell no and not by a long shot..Those FH 3A teams in the early mid 90's would physically pound these recent teams into the ground..Don't lose sight of the big difference in size of 3A and 1A...

Jah, don't get me wrong but I think most know Maryland 1A football isn't much outside of FH and when Dunbar used to exit here. But at the same time what is West Virginia AA really worth outside of Bridgeport? Seriously? I mean Frankfort played for the title just 2 seasons ago. No offense to the Falcons they had a great year but c'mon man. I wouldnt annoint Fairmont or Tolsia any more than I would Boonsboro or Douglass.

In short neither MD 1A nor WV AA is any different. FH and Bridgeport currently own it. WV is easily just as bad. I won't even touch on WV A ball.

2. Dunbar is now 2A

There is 10 MD 1A Teams better than the 2nd best WV 1A Team. The year Frankfort was in AA Finals vs Bridgeport, there was 15-20 MD 1A that would of beat every Team in WV AA except Bridgeport.

FH would compete most years in WV 3A and Every Year there is 10 Public Teams in MD better than The best WV Team of any class.

Comparing teams from different eras is nothing but a straw man argument. It's still 11 players on each side of the ball at any given time. It's not like FH at 3A or 2A had inherently more talent at any given time, though they may have had a slightly bigger pool to draw from. And they were only slightly better at playing Dunbar than 1A FH was...being 1-1 vs 0-2 in the finals. The 1997 Dunbar team was no match for the 2008 Dunbar team, tho, if you want to start comparing teams of different eras.

But really, to try and pose a serious argument by referencing WV A is egregious at best, c'mon now - Fort Hill is a WV AA size school. And as brian stated, to which I agree...WV AA is the same as MD 1A. Birdgeport and Fort Hill are nearly identical...in playing style, success, and a fortuitous alignment that basically puts them alone atop a class of teams that just aren't consistently at the same level. Put Bridgeport in WV AAA or FH in MD 2A or 3A, and they both are going to find those same successes much, much harder to come by. Dunbar by example...owned 1A, hasn't won anything in 2A yet since going back.

FH has been 1A since 2005 with the bulk of success happening 7 years after - and yes, Dunbar leaving has opened the door to some titles. I honestly wish they were still around because I think the games would be awesome; they always were.

Might want to start keeping them on JV cause it sure hasn't worked real well as of late. 8 or 9 in a row. Always an excuse from blue side. Prescorn, refs graduated from FH, blah blah blah
Read my passed post I'm not on the blue side, also look at the last 2 sentences on this post .. Sorry I'm not gonna judge any team after 1 game rather it's blue or red ... Just 3 years ago ALCO was to kill FH in homecoming it never happend then ALCO had a 2nd shot at FH still never got the win,, this was the year FH started the run of state championships..

Like really watching a ass kicking that FH put on Brunswick tell me anything about FH other than what we already know ? What I do know is every returning starter has picked up from where they left off .How I see it is FH filled a lot of positions I will say I think they will be fine but in all reality time will tell , I'm not gonna swell heads it's the last thing they need at this time.

I'm not gonna swell heads it's the last thing they need at this time.

I 100% agree with that, and although I talk about how good I think FH is - even in my caveat I specifically said they could still lose some games at some point.

On the flip side, what you read on this board is absolutely NOT indicative of what happens in the locker room discussions and practices between the coaches and players. I'm sure the kids have confidence and the coaches feel good about their game plans...but lest anyone think those players and coaches don't prepare for every game with the mindset that they could lose if they don't play well.

They'll celebrate a 70 point win over Brunswick with the same exuberance they would be celebrating a 1 point win over Alco or a state title.

How many 10th graders are on Alco varsity? As someone mentioned above, I only see a couple on the roster.
Last I heard they moved more up after they dropped frosh team , I will say if there not gonna get reps I don't understand the reason for moving any player up. New coach new way of looking at things ,lol who knows

I 100% agree with that, and although I talk about how good I think FH is - even in my caveat I specifically said they could still lose some games at some point.

On the flip side, what you read on this board is absolutely NOT indicative of what happens in the locker room discussions and practices between the coaches and players. I'm sure the kids have confidence and the coaches feel good about their game plans...but lest anyone think those players and coaches don't prepare for every game with the mindset that they could lose if they don't play well.

They'll celebrate a 70 point win over Brunswick with the same exuberance they would be celebrating a 1 point win over Alco or a state title.
Agree 100%

Read my passed post I'm not on the blue side, also look at the last 2 sentences on this post .. Sorry I'm not gonna judge any team after 1 game rather it's blue or red ... Just 3 years ago ALCO was to kill FH in homecoming it never happend then ALCO had a 2nd shot at FH still never got the win,, this was the year FH started the run of state championships..

No one judged ANY team before your post. You were quick to judge what others were saying. Literally the posts before you posted were 2 scores listed and comments about it looked like Alco didn't look as into the game.

No one judged ANY team before your post. You were quick to judge what others were saying. Literally the posts before you posted were 2 scores listed and comments about it looked like Alco didn't look as into the game.
Maybe I was just talking about your comment then..lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT