ADVERTISEMENT

I'm coming around...

4R341

Blue Chip Poster
Nov 14, 2005
...even as a FH fan. FH is not that great of a football team. Sure, they're strong and can run the ball as well as stop the run, but stink at covering the pass. Been that way consistently throughout their dominance of 1A. This is a glaring weakness that will require a change in thinking to resolve. Speed can be mitigated with the right adjustments.

Also, red's coaches must not have any faith in their passing game, since they had a chance in the FCA game to work on it against a quick, talented corps of DBs and chose not to even try. Again, as others have said, they need to work on screens, slants, quick outs. Passing plays should be part of the game-plan and not relegated to critical situations or only when there is a substantial lead.

Don't get me wrong, the kids give everything they have and should be commended. FH has a lot to proud of with regards to the program and the kids' dedication. I'm just coming around to the idea that FH is good compared to their classification, but definitely only a 1A school.

...even as a FH fan. FH is not that great of a football team. Sure, they're strong and can run the ball as well as stop the run, but stink at covering the pass. Been that way consistently throughout their dominance of 1A. This is a glaring weakness that will require a change in thinking to resolve. Speed can be mitigated with the right adjustments.

Also, red's coaches must not have any faith in their passing game, since they had a chance in the FCA game to work on it against a quick, talented corps of DBs and chose not to even try. Again, as others have said, they need to work on screens, slants, quick outs. Passing plays should be part of the game-plan and not relegated to critical situations or only when there is a substantial lead.

Don't get me wrong, the kids give everything they have and should be commended. FH has a lot to proud of with regards to the program and the kids' dedication. I'm just coming around to the idea that FH is good compared to their classification, but definitely only a 1A school.

I think the coaches hindered them alot by being way too conservative... It seems as though FH only knows one or two things. Full back trap, Full back off tackle. Its always been that way. If those don't work they go into a shell and try not to lose instead of trying to win. That's just my observation.. I think the passing game had a chance to work if it was utilized. Especially with so many defenders stacking the box. The difference with the more recent FH teams as opposed to the teams of old is that they have an assemblance of a passing game. Which is frustrating when you don't see that phase of the game even being considered. It just seems as though FH doesn't know when to or is too reluctant to use it.. Clearly they should have aired it out when it was obvious the running game wasn't working because so many defenders were stacking the box...

Fort Hill is very reluctant to change their game plan. I am certainly glad they didn't change the their game plan against Melbourne. What were the last 4 plays prior to the field goal? RUNS ! Todd Apple knows his kids better than ANYBODY. If Todd thinks something will work, I will not argue. Head coaches are tough to find while arm chair coaches are a dime a dozen. I would not dispute Coach Hansel's decisions either. He knows his team and his kids just as much as Todd knows his. Heck, I'll throw Coach Patterson into the mix. Does Mtn. Ridge have the big guns to compete with Allegany and Fort Hill, probably not, but he is getting the best out of his players here of late.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I think the coaches hindered them alot by being way too conservative... It seems as though FH only knows one or two things. Full back trap, Full back off tackle. Its always been that way. If those don't work they go into a shell and try not to lose instead of trying to win. That's just my observation.. I think the passing game had a chance to work if it was utilized. Especially with so many defenders stacking the box. The difference with the more recent FH teams as opposed to the teams of old is that they have an assemblance of a passing game. Which is frustrating when you don't see that phase of the game even being considered. It just seems as though FH doesn't know when to or is too reluctant to use it.. Clearly they should have aired it out when it was obvious the running game wasn't working because so many defenders were stacking the box...
both of you are right, which makes it even more frustrating because you are just two more that can see the obvious. our qb was 4 out of 5 for the game...that's pretty good right? 80% success rate and you pass 5 times?????? it's absolutely pathetic that one could be so stubborn to stick to something that is not working when you have something that is working and you avoid it.

I remember when Frankfort had Grant Noel. Their coach said he wants Grant to throw at least 20-25 times a game. He said other teams will get behind and expect their quarterbacks to go 19-23 with never having passed the ball all season.

I remember when Frankfort had Grant Noel. Their coach said he wants Grant to throw at least 20-25 times a game. He said other teams will get behind and expect their quarterbacks to go 19-23 with never having passed the ball all season.
I'd wonder how many times he actually reached that level, though. Noel had Travis Lynch in the backfield. It's tough not to hand him the ball and let him make the play.

A steady passing game in high school isn't easy. Especially if you don't have multiple playmakers running routes. I know this can happen on any level, but say you run a pass on first down and the receiver doesn't run the best route, or drops a pass. On second, the quarterback just misses high on his target. On third, one defensive lineman gets through for a sack or pressures the quarterback to throw before he's ready. Those things make it harder for a coach, who knows he can run the ball, to commit to the passing game.

And it's difficult to assume that going 4 for 5 will translate into 8 for 10, or 12 for 16 when the defense starts looking for the pass by that point. Again, there are just more variables in the passing game.

The old adage goes only one good thing can happen on a pass play (completion), while two bad things can happen (incompletion on interception).

FH’s only score against FCA was a 34 yard pass. FH should have stayed with the pass to take pressure off the offensive line. This was a perfect time to throw the ball against talent. It was an opportunity lost because Dunbar is not going to be as easy to score on as they were against Alco. Let the kids sling the ball around and get used to passing and catching and making mistakes.

Reactions: 4R341 and bigsavage
For the last 3 seasons we watched FH have quality QBs with Graves and now Johnson. It’s sad that everyone in the stands can see it and FH just runs the same old hit it and trap. I honestly feel Graves was a easy D2 prospect. In my opinion Todd let the kids his team down against FCA let alone the slap in the face to Helmick.

Last edited:
Fort Hill is very reluctant to change their game plan. I am certainly glad they didn't change the their game plan against Melbourne. What were the last 4 plays prior to the field goal? RUNS ! Todd Apple knows his kids better than ANYBODY. If Todd thinks something will work, I will not argue. Head coaches are tough to find while arm chair coaches are a dime a dozen. I would not dispute Coach Hansel's decisions either. He knows his team and his kids just as much as Todd knows his. Heck, I'll throw Coach Patterson into the mix. Does Mtn. Ridge have the big guns to compete with Allegany and Fort Hill, probably not, but he is getting the best out of his players here of late.

People can call it what they want,
"questioning the coach" "arm chair quarterback" This is a message board intended for discussion and debate, even with topics you don't agree with. If people are that sensitive that they can't take constructive criticism without being offended, then maybe they should find a safe space and stay off these message boards. Back to the FH game plan. No one is suggesting that FH change their whole offensive structure. Clearly they could move the ball by running it against MCC so they didn't need to step outside their comfort zone. That wasn't the case against FCA. It was fairly obvious that FH wasn't going to move the ball running against an 11 man, athletic, well coached stacked, front. Its my message board opinion, which doesn't mean much, that you have to be flexible enough to make changes and go towards something that did seem to work and made strategic sense. Which was passing the ball to loosen up the defense selling out against the run. Once they realized they couldn't out physical FCA the impression I got was that they were ready to pack it in.. To me, it certainly sounded that way during and after the FCA game.. Making adjustments are apart of a game, someone should have realized repeatedly running into a brick wall wasn't going to be the answer

Last edited:
Reactions: 4inarowtopthat
It would be nice to see a pass a little more but that's not FH style. I'd faint if I ever saw a screen pass. No pun intended, but they are not going to throw out a bushel of apples because one apple goes bad. At least FH will be competing with class 1A, MPSSAA schools. Don't see many Friendship Academy talent in the !A.

FH’s only score against FCA was a 34 yard pass. FH should have stayed with the pass to take pressure off the offensive line. This was a perfect time to throw the ball against talent. It was an opportunity lost because Dunbar is not going to be as easy to score on as they were against Alco. Let the kids sling the ball around and get used to passing and catching and making mistakes.
FH will have their way with Dunbar..

I can't believe FH don't throw more to 20. He has great hands and hasn't fumbled this year. Seems like all the recievers have 1 pass pattern they run. But the wing t has won alot for games for FH. It would be nice to change things up alittle...

Devil's advocate - if FH threw the ball more, they wouldn't be what they've always been. In other words, they can't spend enough time on significant pass routes and having enough pass plays in their repertoire and STILL be as precision running the wing T as they do. They do drop back into a wildcat/spread occasionally, but not to throw the ball. We saw that against MCC.

If FH spent less time developing their very tight wing T sets, working on their trap blocking schemes, adding wrinkles....and focused more on passing, the run game would not be what it is.

Thus the element of surprise is the reason some passing is effective at all.

I truly agree with the coaches in that throwing the ball against FCA 5, 10, 15 more times was not going to be any more consistently effective then trying to adjust the running game. FCA was defensively superior to FH's offense Saturday. It's just that simple. You're going to lose games when you play good competition.

Reactions: camper21502
FH players learn the wing t in yourh football on patriots so they should have some idea how it runs. They just have to fine tone it at freshman, jv, and varsity levels.Not spend more then half of some the practices running off tackle. FCC was real good defense team. I don't think it would have mattered.

Devil's advocate - if FH threw the ball more, they wouldn't be what they've always been. In other words, they can't spend enough time on significant pass routes and having enough pass plays in their repertoire and STILL be as precision running the wing T as they do. They do drop back into a wildcat/spread occasionally, but not to throw the ball. We saw that against MCC.

If FH spent less time developing their very tight wing T sets, working on their trap blocking schemes, adding wrinkles....and focused more on passing, the run game would not be what it is.

I truly agree with the coaches in that throwing the ball against FCA 5, 10, 15 more times was not going to be any more consistently effective then trying to adjust the running game. FCA was defensively superior to FH's offense Saturday. It's just that simple. You're going to lose games when you play good competition.

It's the blessing and the curse of the Power Wing T formation. The good thing is it's a very effective ball control offense when you have the lead. It's also an advantage because most teams don't use it any more and it can take a few possessions to make adjustments. FH and Alco are among only a few schools that really use it as a base. I haven't seen MR play recently so I don't know what they use. Around the state a few schools use Speed Wing T formations. The problem with the Power Wing T is if you get behind it's not a fast strike offense - that's why a lot of schools don't use it. That pass to Poling for the TD was an incredible throw by Johnson. Like other people here I thought they would go back to it eventually. It's difficult to beat a good defense when your offense is one dimensional.

Boyz, I think you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out how good of a catch and throw that TD pass was. Johnson threw a perfect pass into double coverage, just over the reach of the defenders and Poling made a fantastic over the shoulder grab.

No way in hell FH was going to live off that type of pass play multiple times through the game. Not because of Johnson or Poling, but because the defenders were right there. They are going to catch up to that play 8 out of 10 times. They were that good.

Reactions: money316
[

To play devil's advocate there are plenty of well balanced attacks. No one is saying to forsake the wing-t to develop a whole new offensive scheme. I think the point people are trying to make is that there should be a back up plan and that back up plan utilized when the first plan isn't working for the 30th or 40th time. You don't need a whole new offense to loosen up the D with a few screen passes, hitches, slants, fades. You have to keep the D honest. My grandfather use to say a rat with one hole is a mighty poor rat. And contrary to popular belief people can chew gum and walk at the same time. I think the problem is a lack of confidence. You see it in the scheduling, you see it in play calling and you can even hear it pre and post game on the radio..

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502
I think the coaches are content to stick with what they know best. Right wrong or indifferent. It has worked the last few years, even playing some passing offenses. But they've had the benefit of two D-1 running backs as well.

The one other thing I would add is, the point of this offense is to not be behind in the first place. But, as we saw against Melbourne, you can come from behind even needing 3 scores to win in a very short amount of time. IF the defense is not as well prepared to defend the wing-T - which FCA was more than adequately prepared.

I still contend that in THIS game, against the talent that FCA had, a few more passes were not going to make much difference.

Last edited:
All of the above comments have validity. It does bring us back to personal opinions as to what kind of teams fh should play. For a lot of people, including myself, there is a hesitancy to play the m'burgs, the damascus's, even the walkersville/middletowns. It's a simple fact those teams get the wing-t, we aren't going to run up and down the field on them, and there's a real good chance we'd lose. Why? The reason is clear, the inability or stubbornness to adapt and change during a game is 100% a weakness. For those who say the wing-t is what got us where we are so we're going down with it, that's okay for you but I think there's just as many who'd like to see a little less resignation and a little more ingenuity. I get those of you who think the wing-t has to be worked on and you can't take time away from it to include some development of simple passes every game because if you did that the sky would fall, but if that's the mentality stick to the schedule that has worked, forget the mcc and fca and play every weak team you can find, at least know you're gonna win and get some points.
Am I okay with that? I'm way better with that than saying we can't change or adapt even if we know what we are doing isn't working and we are going to lose the game.

Reactions: bigsavage
forget the mcc and fca and play every weak team you can find, at least know you're gonna win and get some points.

it DID work against MCC. FH lined up in a spread formation but engineered the comeback based on running out of the spread. Not passing.

I'm not saying don't add in more passing as needed, and up until this year there WERE more passing attempts and yards. Graves had more passing yards than a good number of QBs of the recent past.

What I'm opining is, against FCA, more passing was not the answer. Johnson did have 4 of 5 completions, thats not atypical. FH never truly established the fullback - and regardless of how many pass plays you have, if you are a run first team, that's going to cause you some problems. Would 3 more passes have been the answer? 10 more? 20 more? I dunno.

it DID work against MCC. FH lined up in a spread formation but engineered the comeback based on running out of the spread. Not passing.

I'm not saying don't add in more passing as needed, and up until this year there WERE more passing attempts and yards. Graves had more passing yards than a good number of QBs of the recent past.

What I'm opining is, against FCA, more passing was not the answer. Johnson did have 4 of 5 completions, thats not atypical. FH never truly established the fullback - and regardless of how many pass plays you have, if you are a run first team, that's going to cause you some problems. Would 3 more passes have been the answer? 10 more? 20 more? I dunno.
your last sentence is my whole point, how could anyone know since we didn't see it and according to most experts we never will because "that's not fh".

Reactions: bigsavage
your last sentence is my whole point, how could anyone know since we didn't see it and according to most experts we never will because "that's not fh".

Exactly? How could we possibly know? 2 long touchdown passes could have softened the D against the run. 20 passes could have? Its not a matter of guessing which number of passes would have worked. Its a matter of being flexible enough to make in game adjustments When the first option isn't working..

Two years ago when FH was down 14-0 at the half on a road trip to Sherando after gaining probably about 50 total years of offense running the wing-t, the coaches switched everything up at halftime and brought out the team in the shotgun spread. My memory might be slightly off but FH dropped back to pass at least 17 times in the 2nd half, with the QB completing 11 passes, throwing one pick, getting rushed three or four times and scrambling for gains, and having a perfect pass dropped.

Sherando’s D1 linebacker was a junior at the time in the post game interview told the reporter when FH came out in the pass mode they did not know what to do, they did not prepare for it because they were focused on the wing-t. After FH regained the lead and Sherando had to respect the pass the coaches went back to the wing-t and pounded Sherando and the clock.

The pass may not have won the game this time. FCA is better than Sherando but to say that FH cannot switch it up on a dime is just giving up. At least try it. I would rather see them going out in an attempt to compete than just submitting to a loss. Who knows, maybe passing could have made the deficit worse by giving FCA more offensive opportunities to score? Maybe it have could lifted the spirits of the players and opened up the run game a little bit. Who knows? We will never know because at some point either at half-time or early in the 3rd Qtr there was a decision made to give up.

What is commendable about the players on this team is that they did not give up and they played hard shutting out FCA in the second half.

Last edited:
Great points by LinemenWinGames and AllRed95... I think the answer lies between both of your posts.

Another thing that doesn't help FH this year is that they don't have a big play guy for the first time in years with Johnson and Brown both in college. Last year's homecoming game showed us all that to a T. 4th and goal from I forget how many yards out, but it wasn't just a few... and FH splits out Brown wide left. Everyone in the stadium knew what was coming, and the Alco kid was in a great place to break up the pass. But Brown made the play that no one else in the area would've been able to make. Big difference right there.

And yes, being unpredictable on offense when facing a juggernaut team like FCA probably would've helped, but coaches are definitely creatures of habit and FH's likely just wanted to stick to what they know best.

Two years ago when FH was down 14-0 at the half on a road trip to Sherando after gaining probably about 50 total years of offense running the wing-t, the coaches switched everything up at halftime and brought out the team in the shotgun spread. My memory might be slightly off but FH dropped back to pass at least 17 times in the 2nd half, with the QB completing 11 passes, throwing one pick, getting rushed three or four times and scrambling for gains, and having a perfect pass dropped.

Sherando’s D1 linebacker was a junior at the time and in the lost game interview he told the reporter when FH came out in the pass theblybdid not know what to do, they did not prepare for it because they were focused on the wing-t. After FH regained the lead and Sherando had to respect the pass the coaches went back to the wing-t and pounded Sherando and the clock.

The pass may not have one the game this time time around becuase FCA is better than Sherando but to say that FH cannot switch it up on a dime is just giving up. At least try it. I would rather see them going out in an attempt to compete than just submitting to a losing. Who knows, maybe passing could have made the deficit worse by giving FCA more offensive opportunities to score? Maybe it have could lifted the spirits of the players and opened up the run game a little bit. Who knows? We will never know because at some point either at half-time or early in the 3rd Qtr there was a decision made to give up.

What is commendable about the players on this team is that they did not give up and they played hard shutting out FCA in the second half.
your memories are pretty accurate, could not have been said better!

Last edited:
Those coaches know they can pass, and down the stretch they will pass as needed. Keep in mind, the fact that Fort Hill passes so sparingly is part of the reason it is so successful when it happens...the passes are well placed in my opinion. Will there be more, yes, I think so. I trust this coaching staff 100 %.

Sherando’s D1 linebacker was a junior at the time and in the lost game interview he told the reporter when FH came out in the pass theblybdid not know what to do, they did not prepare for it because they were focused on the wing-t. After FH regained the lead and Sherando had to respect the pass the coaches went back to the wing-t and pounded Sherando and the clock.

The pass may not have one the game this time time around becuase FCA is better than Sherando but to say that FH cannot switch it up on a dime is just giving up. At least try it. I would rather see them going out in an attempt to compete than just submitting to a losing. Who knows, maybe passing could have made the deficit worse by giving FCA more offensive opportunities to score? Maybe it have could lifted the spirits of the players and opened up the run game a little bit. Who knows? We will never know because at some point either at half-time or early in the 3rd Qtr there was a decision made to give up.

You can see that dichotomy in the state championship game losses Allegany and Fort Hill had to Dunbar over a decade ago. Fort Hill came out and pounded the ball, and while the score didn't get out of hand, it felt like they were more worried about not getting blown out than they were about trying to win.

Allegany, on the other hand, came out and threw the ball on first, second and third downs and gave the ball back to Dunbar without using any time and the Poets kept scoring on them.

It's a tough call as to what you would rather see happen. Would you rather lose by a respectful margin, but never really try to win, or would you rather try to do something different to win knowing if that fails you'll get trounced?

Reactions: towpath94
I know FH lost to Friendship. But, would there be any discussion at all if FH had won and racked up 400 + yards running the ball like they did against Florida? FCA had the athletes to stop the run and FH may have gotten destroyed if they tried to throw the ball. I don't remember much, if any, chatter about FH introducing a passing game after the Melbourne game. Didn't see much chatter about throwing during the other 5 previous games either. Only questions as to why Todd & Gavin were throwing the football when FH was up by 35 points or more.

One thing is for sure. It's time for local teams to play local teams & put in on the field !

You can see that dichotomy in the state championship game losses Allegany and Fort Hill had to Dunbar over a decade ago. Fort Hill came out and pounded the ball, and while the score didn't get out of hand, it felt like they were more worried about not getting blown out than they were about trying to win.

Allegany, on the other hand, came out and threw the ball on first, second and third downs and gave the ball back to Dunbar without using any time and the Poets kept scoring on them.

It's a tough call as to what you would rather see happen. Would you rather lose by a respectful margin, but never really try to win, or would you rather try to do something different to win knowing if that fails you'll get trounced?

You should play to win. If your goal is to not get trounced then why not just forfeit like Westinghouse and take the lost 2 to 0. I know FH would never do that because that is dishonorable. So the only option is to play the game and play it to win.

FCA comes up to play for next year. I would just hope that FH plays to win. I think the team will put this game behind them and move foreward to Homecoming, then the playoffs and hopefully another state championship. Mtn Ridge is first.

Last edited:
I think one of the biggest questions and arguments here isn't why didn't FH pass all game against FCA, but more so why didn't they adjust in-game and pass the ball since the run game wasn't producing much?

For example, on Showtime right now is the series "A Season With" which is a Hard Knocks-type of show that follows a college program for an entire season every year. 2 years ago was Notre Dame, last year was Florida State and this year is Navy. Navy obviously runs the triple option, but on an episode a week or two ago they talk about how they occasionally go shotgun to catch opponents off guard after they've prepared all week in practice to stop the Navy triple option.

In-game adjustments can be huge if you're in a dog fight. I'd never suggest FH get away from the run, but having a nice passing game option that you only go to when necessary probably wouldn't hurt.

I'd bet hard earned money, ain't no way in hell that happens.

I'd be fine with taking a loss on that bet, I hope it does happen. But...nope.
I'm with you, it's rare that a coach changes their philosophy, after all these years i wouldn't bet on it either.

I'll take that bet unless Boonsboro , Northern and other 1a (or 2a) schools step up to the plate. I do see Southern playing FH next year. With difficulty in getting FH games Why drop one you already have? Todd H. did tell me that FH has FCA already signed for next year. But, things could change. Really, they drop FCA to pick up who, Martinsburg, Good Counsel, DeMatha, North Point, etc. To play those schools they might as well play FCA.

My concern is Westinghouse. Are they a 2 year deal? I would replace them because of the $$$ the cost FH. Concessions, 50/50, programs, etc. Plus the time, money and effort FH wasted going to Pittsburgh to scout them. If FH goes up to Westinghouse next year, I hope there is a good game locally because Westinghouse isn't getting a dime of my money. That will be a WCBC game.

I'll take that bet unless Boonsboro , Northern and other 1a (or 2a) schools step up to the plate. I do see Southern playing FH next year. With difficulty in getting FH games Why drop one you already have?

Why would a head coach go on the radio and publicly state they have no business playing a team like FCA, his exact word was "ridiculous"....then leave them on the schedule?

Why would a head coach go on the radio and publicly state they have no business playing a team like FCA, his exact word was "ridiculous"....then leave them on the schedule?

Why stick a microphone in a coach's or player's face immediately after a game when they are still wired on the emotion of the contest? They're not thinking about anything else at that point. As I stated in another post I have always hated that on any level of football.

Why stick a microphone in a coach's or player's face immediately after a game when they are still wired on the emotion of the contest? They're not thinking about anything else at that point. As I stated in another post I have always hated that on any level of football.
I'm not going to disagree with you but if you aren't going to handle an interview professionally and respectfully then don't do the interview. It's not like he's going to be fined if he declines. He handles that microphone pretty well every time they win. He is always complimentary in some way of the other team, very respectful, always thanks god and his family, and sounds like the nicest human being on the planet. You lose for the second time in 60 games and you don't handle yourself in the same way is understandable but it also opens yourself to criticism from all the same people who liked what you had to say the previous 59 times.
Of course he was mad, upset, frustrated, but as a lot of these posts have said, it's on him. He is the coach, he made the choices he made, they lost, keep other people's names out of your mouth until you have calmed down and then if you feel the need to blast somebody not on the staff or payroll then so be it.

And most folks handle it well. But we are supposed to excuse a coach who only had two losses in the last sixty games and is coasting.... yes, coasting to a fifth straight championship. Pathetic beyond measure and a real beam of light to one's actual character.

Reactions: OneRing
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT