ADVERTISEMENT

Homecoming line opens at FH -47

Do you remember in the 90's when both Shannon Stevens and Randy Wolfard from Allegany went to University of Georgia.

Yes, this is very, very true. The hard part is when there is that rare kid from this area that potentially has D1 potential, he isn't going to get looked at sitting around Western Maryland playing small ball. They have to try and overcome that by getting their face and resume out to college campuses. Go to them. Bang on doors. Any parent reading this, get you sons to those summer camps. Force those coaches to watch you on their own turf. If a college coach does not see your face on his campus, there is no chance they will offer any scholarship money.

I agree 100%. In fact, it actually begins before summer now. Last April Rivals and Adidas held a combine in Upper Marlboro where they gave any player who signed up a free workout and evaluation. I saw a few Fort Hill kids there with their parents.

But I also don't want to give the school a pass because it's important for the entire program to be focused on getting players to the next level. For example, Wise gets scholarships for a lot of kids and it's not just talent. If you follow their twitter feed the AD (who runs their twitter) is constantly sending out information about getting the correct forms filled out and sending reminders about the deadlines. He does this beginning in early August. And he emphasizes this all year whenever he meets with the parents. Also about a month ago after Wise played their homecoming game the head coach was giving his post-game speech. His very first words right on the field was "Good game, we will talk about the game on Monday. But I need everyone to get their mid-season highlight tapes finished and get them back to me so I can send them out to the colleges" - this was his focus immediately after the game!! So the coaches, AD, parents and players are all on the same page.

Interesting conversation about recruiting. Given the increased technological advances compared to 20-30 years ago with the advent of the Internet and various apps that have given, theoretically, every parent, AD, and coach an opportunity to put highlight videos out there to potential colleges, what is the key to get a college’s attention?

I assume there are personal relationships between colleges and high school coaches that provide an advantage but it seems to me, like the camps are the one of the best ways to get noticed. But, how does a parent know which camp to attend as some, I believe cost money? I remeber the Penn State camp I attended. It had its benefits of teaching some skills and loosening up the body for the season ahead but it really just appeared like a money racket. I assume there are different types of camps but PSU had many of their predetermined recruits there.

There is way more to recruiting than just putting a highlight video together and going to a few summer camps. I think the one camp LinemenWinGames is referring to is a 4-5 day instructional camp that is expensive. Recruits only need the one day camp which is nothing but a recruiting evaluation for college coaches. They run from $65 to $90 depending on the camp. It is solely the college coach and their staff that determines who gets scholarship money, so meeting them, talking with them and working out in front of them is 100% necessary. Granted if you are a four or five star type athlete...yes they will seek you out (see Danny King). That doesn't happen around here often, not even for Ty Johnson when he was in the process. But even Danny has worked tirelessly to put himself in this position. Visits, visits, visits, travel, travel, travel, camps, camps, camps. It's about meeting the people that determine who gets scholarships.

Ask Luke Hamilton and his parents. They worked around the clock putting Luke out there with visits. Every weekend in the summer it seemed like Luke was visiting somewhere. He is a prime example of how the hard work pays off.

The hardest part for me was getting kids to understand where D2 and D3 money comes from and even many private FCS programs. Because that is where 98% of local players will go.If you are good enough, grades and SAT scores are where the money comes from. Getting kids to take and prepare for the SAT was where I lost interest. It is an almost impossible task to make this happen for a 16-17 year old. Luckily, local players have access to so many D2 football programs. Nearby WV and PA are loaded with them.

BOBCATS
Maryland only has Bowie State and soon Frostburg State as D2 opportunities. That is why in my book, Frostburg has made significant strides on the field (combined with a great coach). Many of those in-state kids from Baltimore/DC and points east now send their kids to play football at Frostburg State and it's only going to get bigger now that the Bobcats are making the move to D2 and will have money to hand out. For in-state tuition kids it will be huge.

Last edited:
Even if you are not a prospect, the “instructional” camp at PSU was beneficial in terms of getting broken in for the season ahead. It was 3 days when I and other FH players attended. It was encouraged by Calhoun but not paid for by FH. The tightness and soreness that you would normally feel the first feel days of practice was already gone. There was no tackling but there were drills and contact. I do remember Paterno was not permitted at the camp per recruiting rules, but the assistants were there. It was cool at the time to meet and stand next to Sandusky, but know its just a gross thought.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Even if you are not a prospect, the “instructional” camp at PSU was beneficial in terms of getting broken in for the season ahead. It was 3 days when I and other FH players attended. It was encouraged by Calhoun but not paid for by FH. The tightness and soreness that you would normally feel the first feel days of practice was already gone. There was no tackling but there were drills and contact. I do remember Paterno was not permitted at the camp per recruiting rules, but the assistants were there. It was cool at the time to meet and stand next to Sandusky, but know its just a gross thought.

I went to the Gale Catlett basketball camp at WVU in 1978. Was still in elementary school. But it was like 4 days and they put you in a dorm and feed you. It is way more costly. If you are visiting campus strictly for recruiting don't go to the instructional camps. If you are going to learn a few things in the way of player development then yes.

To get D1 Recruited in Western Maryland takes a lot of work. Most schools are identifying players as freshmen and sophomores. A great Junior is ideal. By the time a kid is a Senior, most schools are pretty locked in on their recruiting class. They may make an exception or 2.

You have to visit schools at camp. You have to reach out to thousands of coaches on Twitter and go to the school website to get email and phone numbers of coaches. Then you have to call and email thousands of coaches for several years. Do this and they may invite you to the school for a game day or spring visit. Then you have to pass the eye test. Because there are usually 30 or more kids also there.

After all this, you have to really perform on the field! And have the support of your coaches. If you have great academics, you’re chances at an FCS go way up. They can combo Academic and Athletic Scholarships.

Last year, I think 15 D1 coaches came to Fort Hill during the evaluation period. That’s not a lot. In Northern Virginia and up and down 270, they can get that many on one day.

Unless a kid runs a 4.3. It’s hard in Western MD. Trust me.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
There is way more to recruiting than just putting a highlight video together and going to a few summer camps. I think the one camp LinemenWinGames is referring to is a 4-5 day instructional camp that is expensive. Recruits only need the one day camp which is nothing but a recruiting evaluation for college coaches. They run from $65 to $90 depending on the camp. It is solely the college coach and their staff that determines who gets scholarship money, so meeting them, talking with them and working out in front of them is 100% necessary. Granted if you are a four or five star type athlete...yes they will seek you out (see Danny King). That doesn't happen around here often, not even for Ty Johnson when he was in the process. But even Danny has worked tirelessly to put himself in this position. Visits, visits, visits, travel, travel, travel, camps, camps, camps. It's about meeting the people that determine who gets scholarships.

Ask Luke Hamilton and his parents. They worked around the clock putting Luke out there with visits. Every weekend in the summer it seemed like Luke was visiting somewhere. He is a prime example of how the hard work pays off.

My point wasn't that just putting together a highlight tape and going to a few camps is the answer. My point is that the high schools that are consistently successful in getting scholarships for their kids are organized and focus on the process all year. Yes, parents can do it themselves. I can name a few more kids from FH or Alco who got full rides because their parents were relentless and did their homework. Very few of the players at Wise get D1 (FBS) money. Most who are fortunate to get scholarships go to D2 or an FCS school. But the coaches, admin and parents work together to send out mid-season videos, end of the year videos, camps, visits, 7-on-7 leagues, etc., it's an year round process and the coaches emphasize it consistently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT