ADVERTISEMENT

Homecoming game getting ugly...

Redwhite90

Varsity Poster
Oct 17, 2017
As has been discussed on here most of season , there are definitely different levels of football in 1A in the area. Alco suffered from injuries and penalties but FH was really unchallenged most of the game. It just makes Fort Hill's run even more impressive with the ease of which they have defeated area teams. FH on a Tier all themselves right now. Alco a step below all alone. Followed by Tier 3 of Southern, Boonsboro, Catoctin, Northern and Mt Ridge. Last Tier would be all the remaining 1A teams. Looks like Big Red on to a 5th Title...

Reactions: towpath94
Coach Appel is undefeated in HC games. The 09 playoff game his only loss to Alco. I’m still to this day trying to figure out that one!

Way to go Big Red!

Correct, there was nothin fancy at all. FH didn’t need any type of diversion or adjustments on offense. It was pure domination and Alco really got beat up. I seen some Alco players getting pancaked. #5 proves he is the best FB in the area. #95 was a beast as well on the first drive for Alco and on two other drives late in the second half.

What surprised me most was how much faster FH was than Alco. I seen Alco against Dunbar and watched FH all year and believed that Alco has more speed but FH was burning by players with speed in the open field across the board.

Last edited:
the posts during the week about Alco being more physical were so laughable and it showed today. The FH OL manhandled Alco. That little comment by an Alco OL on WHAG last night didn't sit well with the hogs. FH probably ran the ball right 20 straight plays and were getting 10 yards a clip. Power football right down their throat.

as others posted FH even looked faster and I didn't think that would be the case.

the posts during the week about Alco being more physical were so laughable and it showed today. The FH OL manhandled Alco. That little comment by an Alco OL on WHAG last night didn't sit well with the hogs. FH probably ran the ball right 20 straight plays and were getting 10 yards a clip. Power football right down their throat.

as others posted FH even looked faster and I didn't think that would be the case.

I watched Sports Connection last night... I didn’t see any interview on WDVM (WHAG)

Don't forget about Dunbar and Douglas (PG). I predict Douglas to win it all this year. Hope I'm wrong.

I found the video on WDVM’s website... don’t think anything said was a big deal

As has been discussed on here most of season , there are definitely different levels of football in 1A in the area. Alco suffered from injuries and penalties but FH was really unchallenged most of the game. It just makes Fort Hill's run even more impressive with the ease of which they have defeated area teams. FH on a Tier all themselves right now. Alco a step below all alone. Followed by Tier 3 of Southern, Boonsboro, Catoctin, Northern and Mt Ridge. Last Tier would be all the remaining 1A teams. Looks like Big Red on to a 5th Title...
I don't even think it is that good. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think you could rate each area team on a level by them selves, and put the spread at 7 to 10 points for the team's in the middle, and 14+ for all others.

I got laughed at for saying Fort Hill was 14+ better than Alco. Well.... I guess one of us was right.

As I said early in the season this FH senior group has beat up on this Alco group since 7th grade. No matter how much Alco tried to be the bully and talk themselves into something they aren't it didn't matter when all the talk stopped.

Reactions: wing_left
FH manhandled this Alco team. I had FH winning by 14 but I thought they wouldn't pull away until the 2nd half. It was over from the start. I still think 95 is the best fb in the area. Could u imagine if he had fh's line to run behind? The line on both sides of the ball is what won this game. It looked like men vs. kids and I truly believe this is the worst Alco defense ever. They only have 3 kids that really can play defense and if one of them doesn't make the tackle then it's a TD lol really sad...

FH manhandled this Alco team. I had FH winning by 14 but I thought they wouldn't pull away until the 2nd half. It was over from the start. I still think 95 is the best fb in the area. Could u imagine if he had fh's line to run behind? The line on both sides of the ball is what won this game. It looked like men vs. kids and I truly believe this is the worst Alco defense ever. They only have 3 kids that really can play defense and if one of them doesn't make the tackle then it's a TD lol really sad...
camper let me know how you feel about the fact that fh had their starters in up 30 pts late in the game, til the bitter end. is it just stupid to have your starters in risking what could happen...ie allegany's qb, or is it more of wanting to just embarrass somebody at all costs?

camper let me know how you feel about the fact that fh had their starters in up 30 pts late in the game, til the bitter end. is it just stupid to have your starters in risking what could happen...ie allegany's qb, or is it more of wanting to just embarrass somebody at all costs?
I thought it was very stupid. I know they wanted a running clock badly but the risk to me wouldn't be worth it.. I also felt bad for the backups who could've gotten the homecoming experience and I'm sure they would've held their own against a down and out beatup Alco team.. FH is gearing up for another state title. They have depth but Iosing a key player or 2 could be costly in the State Championship game... I'm just glad nobody else did get hurt...

Reactions: 4R341
I see it both ways. It would’ve been nice for all of the players to get in there in the Homecoming game but no one should overlook the fact that before Homecoming Fort Hill’s starters have only played two full games. This will be important possibly in two weeks and definitely in the semi-finals as well as state championship as the competition will greatly increase. Plus, I see a psychological advantage for Fort Hill having the game finish on the mercy knowing that a second match up is pending.

Last edited:

Both FH and Alco should have put all the other kids in at some early point of the 4th quarter, Yes?

The game was over. Let kids that never get in enjoy this day. FH coaches probably wanted to keep the score where it was. Ridiculois! Alco coaches wanted Robinette to get his 100 yards rushing, which he didn't have to start the 4th qtr. Ridiculous!

I always hear the team that is up big needs to get the starters out. Shouldn't the team that is down big do the same? Both sides should be smart about it. If Coach Appel puts in his subs I can assure everyone Alco would not. And vice-versa if the roles were reversed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that all of Fort Hill's seniors got to play. I'm ok with that because this day is about the Seniors. The underclassmen will have their shot next year. I don't know what Alco did as I don't know what's on their roster. They may have done the same thing.

As I mentioned either in this thread or another one, there was a mix of first and second string defense in on the series where #95 scored that last TD.

I only realized it because I noticed a couple numbers chasing after him that I had not seen all game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that all of Fort Hill's seniors got to play. I'm ok with that because this day is about the Seniors. The underclassmen will have their shot next year. I don't know what Alco did as I don't know what's on their roster. They may have done the same thing.
Having starting seniors in the game when you're up by 30 points with 2 minutes to go is questionable at best. Having seniors in the game who don't start when the game is over is the least you can do for these guys. having your starting qb and fb in the game as the clock is winding down seems wrong, what are you trying to prove?

Reactions: camper21502
What are the FH starters still doing in the Mountain Ridge game up 42-3 in the 2nd half? That is where many of the FH starters got banged up, the week before Homecoming to boot. I don't get it either.

If FH gets up on Southern by 35 points PUT THE FREAKING SUBS IN. Who cares about the final score or getting kids extra work. It is the playoffs. If these kids are not in game shape by now they never will be. The last thing needed are starters getting banged up late in a blow out again. Geez.

I tend to agree that both team should've pulled their starters.

That said, I have also seen FH implode and give up sizable leads to inferior teams. I think FH would've been charged to pull starters when Alco pulled starters.

I tend to agree that both team should've pulled their starters.

That said, I have also seen FH implode and give up sizable leads to inferior teams. I think FH would've been charged to pull starters when Alco pulled starters.
Who in recent memory has Fort Hill imploded to?

Reactions: wing_left
No reason Alco kept players, should have let everyone get playing time and saved some from hits. Especially Robinette they knew he was dehydrated at halftime.

Man, I am glad I am not Todd Appel and/ or Brian Hansel. They can't seem to do anything right.
Amen! And people wonder why coaches come across cold to people. People turn crap around on them the minute they get a chance. They criticize everything they do without any clue why they do what they do. Lol.

And while I’m ranting, nothing pisses me off more than adults asking people about kids injuries. 99% is for their own selfish needs and not out of concern for the kid. Well 100% it’s none of your F’ing business.

Last edited:
If Alco I would've put their subs in I'm not sure FH would've done the same. Obviously you could see that their goal was to run the score up as high as possible... Banks running the ball very late in 4qtr up by 4tds proves that. I think if he gets hurt there then FH fans would see things a whole lot differently. I now understand what Keyser is talking about.FH doesn't just wanna beat you, they wanna embarrass you which can turn into a dangerous game..

"can turn into a dangerous game", totally agree with you 21502, never know what's waiting just around the corner, [ie; sprained ankle, stinger, twisted knee, list goes on and on]. Still couldn't pay me to wear the headset though.......

Reactions: camper21502
If Alco I would've put their subs in I'm not sure FH would've done the same. Obviously you could see that their goal was to run the score up as high as possible... Banks running the ball very late in 4qtr up by 4tds proves that. I think if he gets hurt there then FH fans would see things a whole lot differently. I now understand what Keyser is talking about.FH doesn't just wanna beat you, they wanna embarrass you which can turn into a dangerous game..
this is why i like your posts. you're not on anybody's bandwagon or payroll, just saying it like it is. anybody getting defensive about coaches and injuries is ignoring the fact that these coaches are the ones putting the kids in harms way by leaving them in a game that's over for what point? why would anybody defend this behavior. running up a score is sportsmanlike or admirable? how do you defend that. I may want to win but I don't find it enjoyable to humiliate somebody.

Agree. But as I also said Alco coaches wanted Robinette to get his yards to keep him in top player discussions. That was obvious. He didn't even have 100 yards to start the 4th qtr so they kept feeding him even on the very last drive.

Leaving starters in needs to be a two way street.

Not that it takes a lot but I'm confused. Posters have posted that FH should have pulled their starters at homecoming when they were clearly in control. But, I have also read that when the game is out of hand and the clock is running that FH should work on their passing game. Which way it? How can you pull your starters and have them work on their passing game at the same time?

People think Coach Appel is classless because of the "R" word. This board would have collapsed if FH throws the ball in the 4th quarter just for the practice.

You're right. Fort Hill ran nothing fancy late in the game, just basic off tackle stuff. They did get kids in on the defensive side of the ball late. ( I was glad that Todd kept scoring. I been apprehensive the last few years when Todd would get up by two scores and then sit on the ball. That sort of thing will eventually bite you.) Besides, it's not Todd's job to keep his kids out of the end zone.

At any rate, both of these coaches do what they think is best for their kids. If anyone wants to question them, they should be addressing the coach involved. As far as Todd is concerned, his kids are first in everything he does, no question. As far as anything he says, the man is passionate about their success. I love the fact that he is so passionate. Do I agree with everything he does, no. For instance, I'd love to see him work on scheduling during the season, I think that it would be easier that way but Todd is making the calls, he is the one who has to own those decisions.

Both coaches (Apple and Hansel) are both trying to validate both fullbacks (Banks and Robinette) to get POY.

Seeing's they wouldn't announce POY, OPOY, DPOY, etc., etc., until 2 years later anyway, these boys would be in their sophomore year of college.......let's beat that horse alittle.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT