ADVERTISEMENT

Havre De Grace / FH Saturday 1:00

If Maryland had a playoff system dating back in the 1930s like most other states had, both Allegany and Fort Hill would have about 20-30 titles each.

Reactions: redtheperson
If Maryland had a playoff system dating back in the 1930s like most other states had, both Allegany and Fort Hill would have about 20-30 titles each.

Most likely true, but the world was much different at that point in time.

Unfortunately, most schools throughout the U. S. were not desegregated at that point in history, and as a result, one can’t say state championships awarded during that era were open to all public schools.

While I am certain some will disagree with the following (and that is okay), any state championship awarded to a public school prior to the Brown vs. Board of Education decision (1954) should have an asterisk beside it.

Reactions: bigsavage
Most likely true, but the world was much different at that point in time.

Unfortunately, most schools throughout the U. S. were not desegregated at that point in history, and as a result, one can’t say state championships awarded during that era were open to all public schools.

While I am certain some will disagree with the following (and that is okay), any state championship awarded to a public school prior to the Brown vs. Board of Education decision (1954) should have an asterisk beside it.

I wouldn't advise trying to remove all the Alco basketball banners from the gym from that era.

I wouldn't advise trying to remove all the Alco basketball banners from the gym from that era.

I never suggested such. Schools should still be able to celebrate such accomplishments.

What I mentioned was the reality of the situation - nation wide.

I am simply suggesting that state record books, such as produced by the MPSSAA, should consider recognizing that prior to the Supreme Court decision in 1954, public schools were still segregated and not all public schools were permitted to participate in state tournaments due to segregation.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsavage
Once upon a time...the Turkey Day Game was all teams had. No championships to win. And I don't think people like my father, who played during those years, regret a single thing about having no playoff set up or a championship to play for.

I also do not believe at present from a local standpoint that Fort Hill is an all-star team by any stretch. Fort Hill has always been good at football using South Cumberland kids dating back to WWII. If we could rewind the clock 44 years and stick the Cumberland schools in Class 1A, either Alco or FH would win states every year or at least play in the title game. No different than what we are seeing now. With the county student population decline, I look at local football not so much as how FH has grown as a program but more how the other schools have dropped in competition levels. No offense to the current roster, but the players FH had 50 years ago were every bit as legit if not more so and the cupboard was much deeper. Athletes did not have the training and weight room programs we see today however.

Once upon a time not very long ago, neither Alco nor FH ever played football teams like Southern, Northern, Beall, Frankfort, Valley, Bruce, Smithsburg, Boonsboro, etc. That was unheard of because of school size. What has happened at FH however is that despite the student population being dropped, the football program level of play has not. And THAT is the testament to the kids and coaching staff competing today. The reasons are vast...tradition, hard work, dedication, fan and money support, coaching, player development at the lower levels, success which breeds into participation increases that other schools just don't have. I know some schools get offended when they hear that FH works harder and is more dedicated. But trust me fully that I have been around all the schools to see their programs in-season and off-season and the difference between them and FH is night and day. FH has sold its soul to being a football program. The other sports, not...despite having the same student-athletes at their disposal.

You're a good man Todd and I wish you the best with your new directions.

Good points from TD and RW90. Without a doubt Fort Hill football is a model of how to run a high school program but RW90 brings up an interesting point in being great at one sport or good at a lot of others. That's the tough part of being in small schools. Your best football players (or many other sports) are also oftentimes your best basketball or baseball players.

I've seen coaches take two stances here:

1. Encourage those kids to play other sports. The school needs those athletes on other teams to help them be successful. I tend to agree with this one especially at small schools that may lack the depth of athletic talent of larger schools. Many coaches want to support the other coaches and programs within their buildings.

2. Encourage the kid to focus on one sport. In sports like basketball and baseball the one sport kids will use the off-season for travel ball play thus devoting themselves year-round to that sport. For the football player it may mean more time in the weight room, extra time for conditioning, camps and clinics to further develop skills.

It's an interesting debate and I know that many professional athletes in fact were multi-sport athletes in high school. I have never done any statistical research to see if being a one or multi sport athlete is the better choice in the long-run but I always enjoyed athletes doing as many sports as they wanted during their high school years.

• I encourage you to look at the overall scores and strangle hold FH has had on the area in the past decade. If at that point I have to explain to you how an area schedule is a negative in relation to declining attendance I'm not sure there is anything else I can say to convince you otherwise. With regard to your schedule you put together

Boonsboro- Definitely NOT cool
      Hollidaysburg-meh
      Keyser-Most years NOT cool 1 out of 10 yrs maybe cool
      Northern-Most Definitely NOT cool
      Morgantown- potentially cool
      Southern-NOT cool
      South High-Meh not going to draw a crowd
      Mountain Ridge-Not cool
      Frankfort-Definitely NOT cool
      Allegany-are you really going to ignore the past 14 yrs?

Lets be honest here, FH has had a virtual stranglehold on EVERY SINGLE team they've played in the last 6 years, local or not, INCLUDING playoffs and state finals. Aside from Dunbar last year.

So there is absolutely no validity to the argument of a local schedule having a negative affect. At least not on performance that I would say. Like I said if you replace three of the cupcakes on the current schedule with three local teams, regardless of who they are, you lose absolutely nothing whatsoever.

And if anything attendance may go up slightly. Would you rather sit in a more than half empty stadium playing Silver Oak or a slightly more than half full stadium playing Northern or Boonsboro?

Drop the idea of FH loading up a schedule. At least anymore so than this year. Morgantown, Hollidaysburg and Loyola all gave FH good games, and Loyola could have very well been a loss. I'm not saying replace all of them. Morgantown and Altoona are local to me. But to argue AGAINST replacing Silver Oak with a team from the local area on merits of competitiveness has no value.

Playing "tougher schedules" (if you want to call them that) in the 90s and early 2000's amounted to one championship in 20 years. Those teams couldn't finish out a season regardless of whom they played. I'm willing to put up with some fluff to see FH actually being competitive in the post season these days. Why couldn't it be local fluff?

Lets be honest here, FH has had a virtual stranglehold on EVERY SINGLE team they've played in the last 6 years, local or not, INCLUDING playoffs and state finals. Aside from Dunbar last year.

So there is absolutely no validity to the argument of a local schedule having a negative affect. At least not on performance that I would say. Like I said if you replace three of the cupcakes on the current schedule with three local teams, regardless of who they are, you lose absolutely nothing whatsoever.

And if anything attendance may go up slightly. Would you rather sit in a more than half empty stadium playing Silver Oak or a slightly more than half full stadium playing Northern or Boonsboro?

Drop the idea of FH loading up a schedule. At least anymore so than this year. Morgantown, Hollidaysburg and Loyola all gave FH good games, and Loyola could have very well been a loss. I'm not saying replace all of them. Morgantown and Altoona are local to me. But to argue AGAINST replacing Silver Oak with a team from the local area on merits of competitiveness has no value.

Playing "tougher schedules" (if you want to call them that) in the 90s and early 2000's amounted to one championship in 20 years. Those teams couldn't finish out a season regardless of whom they played. I'm willing to put up with some fluff to see FH actually being competitive in the post season these days. Why couldn't it be local fluff?

"Would you rather sit in a more than half empty stadium playing Silver Oak or a slightly more than half full stadium playing Northern or Boonsboro?"

Neither!

Well, the Fort Hill football schedule maker position is open. Take the job and you can personally schedule whoever you would like to see Fort Hill play.

Well, the Fort Hill football schedule maker position is open. Take the job and you can personally schedule whoever you would like to see Fort Hill play.

Someone take the wheel... this comment has already been answered. You're starting to sound like a broken record

"Would you rather sit in a more than half empty stadium playing Silver Oak or a slightly more than half full stadium playing Northern or Boonsboro?"

Neither!
don't forget southern, mountain ridge...well let's face it pretty much every game has a half empty stadium. tomorrow will be more of the same.

Well FH won’t be competing with MD tomorrow, so that’s at least one good thing!

Someone take the wheel... this comment has already been answered. You're starting to sound like a broken record

Talk about a broken record, savage is bitching again about the same exact thing for the 100th time. You don't even go to the games if the weather isn't perfect or you don't have $20 for the kids. Yet you think you have the right to tell FH coaches who they should be playing.

If the state title game isn't televised he will complain about that as well since he wont attend. Talk about self entitled. Fire back all you want, call me names, but everyone here knows what I say is true.

Where do I apply for this job to make the schedule??lmao... I've always wanted a job doing something with football...hell I do it for free

Talk about a broken record, savage is bitching again about the same exact thing for the 100th time. You don't even go to the games if the weather isn't perfect or you don't have $20 for the kids. Yet you think you have the right to tell FH coaches who they should be playing.

If the state title game isn't televised he will complain about that as well since he wont attend. Talk about self entitled. Fire back all you want, call me names, but everyone here knows what I say is true.[/QUOTE

Que the lep dog

If the state title game isn't televised he will complain about that as well since he wont attend. Talk about self entitled. Fire back all you want, call me names, but everyone here knows what I say is true.

And like clock work here comes the lap dog...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT