ADVERTISEMENT

Havre De Grace / FH Saturday 1:00

It does surprise me that HGD would choose the game to be Saturday in the rain instead of clear Friday Night, given they are a passing team.

shouldn't even have a choice in it in my opinion. It should be the top seed's choice. Part of the home field advantage that teams play for.
It's always been the home teams choice, are you all sure it was up to HDG

If I knew the HdG coach a little better, I would get him to ask if he can check the Fort Hill helmets before the game. Would be good for a laugh.

If I knew the HdG coach a little better, I would get him to ask if he can check the Fort Hill helmets before the game. Would be good for a laugh.
Sure would be.......your thoughts on 2018 HdG? How do you feel they match up with 2018 FH?

Sure would be.......your thoughts on 2018 HdG? How do you feel they match up with 2018 FH?

My gut tells me it will be the same as the last few years. They have lost kids from the past few seasons from graduation, although they did keep the QB and a few other skill positions. Over the last few weeks we have been plagued with injuries along with one of the starters being injured on Friday. I will say the wideouts are quick and the QB has a strong arm and can be very accurate when he is playing well. I think the game would be close If they could figure out how to get back to playing like they were early in the season. I have been to all but two games and as the season went on they seemed like they lost steam... not really sure why it just looked that way. I have not seen Fort Hill play nor have I seen any video, so all I can say is if they can't cover the receivers for some reason then HdG will score quickly and most likely often. But I am sure the FH line will do a great job of disrupting them. I would like to see HdG win... but either way they wouldn't win it all. I think overall that Dunbar is way too strong. I just hope that HdG shows up and plays a great game... hopefully they don't come home on a landslide loss. I have followed this board for years I just rarely speak on here. You all have great pride in your teams, as you should. I just wish we would pick up season games with anyone from the west. It would only make us better by doing so.

My gut tells me it will be the same as the last few years. They have lost kids from the past few seasons from graduation, although they did keep the QB and a few other skill positions. Over the last few weeks we have been plagued with injuries along with one of the starters being injured on Friday. I will say the wideouts are quick and the QB has a strong arm and can be very accurate when he is playing well. I think the game would be close If they could figure out how to get back to playing like they were early in the season. I have been to all but two games and as the season went on they seemed like they lost steam... not really sure why it just looked that way. I have not seen Fort Hill play nor have I seen any video, so all I can say is if they can't cover the receivers for some reason then HdG will score quickly and most likely often. But I am sure the FH line will do a great job of disrupting them. I would like to see HdG win... but either way they wouldn't win it all. I think overall that Dunbar is way too strong. I just hope that HdG shows up and plays a great game... hopefully they don't come home on a landslide loss. I have followed this board for years I just rarely speak on here. You all have great pride in your teams, as you should. I just wish we would pick up season games with anyone from the west. It would only make us better by doing so.
It wouldn't hurt that's for sure, HDG would know where they stand in 1a.. rather than beating up on the same east teams every year...

The last time we faced Fort Hill we were in the 1A south. We got placed in the east in 2017. For the most part we mainly play 2&3 A teams with the exception of 2 or 3 games. But in reality that doesn’t mean a thing... just means we beat a weaker larger school. I wish we would get away from our two county league we are in, I believe it has weakened all of the Harford County football teams. All we do is play each other every freaking year with maybe one or two out of league teams. It sucks. It would definitely be nice to see some different teams.

Last edited:
The last time we faced Fort Hill we were in the 1A south. We got placed in the east in 2017. For the most part we mainly play 2&3 A teams with the exception of 2 or 3 games. But in reality that doesn’t mean a thing... just means we beat a weaker larger school. I wish we would get away from our two county league we are in, I believe it has weakened all of the Harford County football teams. All we do is play each other every freaking year with maybe one or two out of league teams. It sucks. It would definitely be nice to see some different teams.

"All we do is play each other every freaking year with maybe one or two out of league teams. It sucks. It would definitely be nice to see some different teams."

And to think the Fort Hill administration is clamoring for a local schedule. For what so they can continue to beat these area teams senseless? And then complain about lack of attendance? Smh

I should have been more clear. I was talking about Bigsavage's comment about league play. Basically, there is no league in the two Western counties in Maryland.

To some of these schools in our county... it is all about that coveted county title... because we all know that is the goal. lol.

I should have been more clear. I was talking about Bigsavage's comment about league play. Basically, there is no league in the two Western counties in Maryland.

You should have been more clear? I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. No need for your clarification because I never mentioned anything about a league. So maybe it's your misunderstanding that's the issue?

Reactions: everyones-an-expert
Sorry Savage, I checked out your post and noticed the statement was actually a quote. I guess this old guy should wear his glasses more often. Now your second paragraph makes sense.

I bet Friendship Collegiate Academy out of DC would welcome a game with you guys. They are 1A also. Might be an interesting game - mix things up for the HDG program.

I bet Friendship Collegiate Academy out of DC would welcome a game with you guys. They are 1A also. Might be an interesting game - mix things up for the HDG program.
Let's face it, they aren't going to do that any more than fh is going to do that at this point...not with the playoff system we have.

And to think the Fort Hill administration is clamoring for a local schedule. For what so they can continue to beat these area teams senseless? And then complain about lack of attendance? Smh

Clamoring over a local schedule? They play all the teams in Allegany County. One team from Garrett county and recently until this year, one team from Mineral County. Are you saying you wouldn't rather see Northern, Frankfort and Keyser on the schedule over Silver Oak, Capital Christian and Lewis? I would.

And if by "clamoring over a local schedule" you mean wanting to play Washington County schools like North and South or Boonsboro...is that a bad thing?

Could you clarify what you mean by clamoring over a local schedule and how that's actually a negative?

If FHs schedule was...

Boonsboro
Hollidaysburg
Keyser
Northern
Morgantown
Southern
South High
Mountain Ridge
Frankfort
Allegany

That wouldnt be a cool schedule?

Clamoring over a local schedule? They play all the teams in Allegany County. One team from Garrett county and recently until this year, one team from Mineral County. Are you saying you wouldn't rather see Northern, Frankfort and Keyser on the schedule over Silver Oak, Capital Christian and Lewis? I would.

And if by "clamoring over a local schedule" you mean wanting to play Washington County schools like North and South or Boonsboro...is that a bad thing?

Could you clarify what you mean by clamoring over a local schedule and how that's actually a negative?

If FHs schedule was...

Boonsboro
Hollidaysburg
Keyser
Northern
Morgantown
Southern
South High
Mountain Ridge
Frankfort
Allegany

clam·or
/ˈklamər/
verb
gerund or present participle: clamoring
  1. (of a group of people) shout loudly and insistently.
    "the surging crowds clamored for attention"
    synonyms: yell, shout loudly, bay, scream, roar
    "clamoring crowds"
    • make a vehement protest or demand.
      "scientists are clamoring for a ban on all chlorine substances"
      synonyms: demand, call for, press for, push for, lobby for
      "scientists are clamoring for a ban"

If it wasn't already clear enough, by "clamoring" I mean, the FH Administration and or some supporters, -->SHOUT LOUDLY and INSISTENTLY, MAKES A VEHEMENT PROTEST OR DEMAND<-- in support of and for a local schedule. I encourage you to look at the overall scores and strangle hold FH has had on the area in the past decade. If at that point I have to explain to you how an area schedule is a negative in relation to declining attendance I'm not sure there is anything else I can say to convince you otherwise. With regard to your schedule you put together

Boonsboro- Definitely NOT cool
      Hollidaysburg-meh
      Keyser-Most years NOT cool 1 out of 10 yrs maybe cool
      Northern-Most Definitely NOT cool
      Morgantown- potentially cool
      Southern-NOT cool
      South High-Meh not going to draw a crowd
      Mountain Ridge-Not cool
      Frankfort-Definitely NOT cool
      Allegany-are you really going to ignore the past 14 yrs?

It's always been the home teams choice, are you all sure it was up to HDG
I thought the day was decided by the traveling team. Maybe it has to be greater than a certain distance or something, but I always thought the visiting team got to pick the date of the game.

If FHs schedule was...

Boonsboro
Hollidaysburg
Keyser
Northern
Morgantown
Southern
South High
Mountain Ridge
Frankfort
Allegany

Keyser, absolutely. Frankfort and Northern wouldn't excite me anymore than those academies though.

I thought the day was decided by the traveling team. Maybe it has to be greater than a certain distance or something, but I always thought the visiting team got to pick the date of the game.
I believe the distance is the key in playing on Friday or Saturday but I’d argue that odds are HDG will come up Friday night and stay at some hotel. Why not play the game Friday night? Either way their staying in a hotel and going home Saturday.

I believe the distance is the key in playing on Friday or Saturday but I’d argue that odds are HDG will come up Friday night and stay at some hotel. Why not play the game Friday night? Either way their staying in a hotel and going home Saturday.

They very well could leave on Friday... but the school is pretty cheap. Wouldn’t surprise me if they headed out on Saturday morning.

Todd Helmick posted he is no longer scheduling football games for Fort Hill. The job is open...

Why would anyone want that job? You wouldn't be able to return Oakdale's phone call and for the the most part your search is going to be limited to Silver Oak quality opponents. NO THANKS!

Reactions: camper21502
Let's face it, they aren't going to do that any more than fh is going to do that at this point...not with the playoff system we have.

Exactly. Which makes FHs move to not play FCA this year a brilliant stroke in terms of the playoffs this year.

Exactly. Which makes FHs move to not play FCA this year a brilliant stroke in terms of the playoffs this year.
agreed, haters can hate but what they are trying to accomplish is working for them.
Does anybody recall fh leading hdg 21-0 two years ago and then it was 21-14 and hdg had the ball driving and turned it over...I wouldn't dismiss them as a lot of people are. FH should win but they have tightened up in the past, Perryville, Brunswick...just saying beware of overconfidence.

Last edited:
agreed, haters can hate but what they are trying to accomplish is working for them.
Does anybody recall fh leading hdg 21-0 two years ago and then it was 21-14 and hdg had the ball driving and turned it over...I wouldn't dismiss them as a lot of people are. FH should win but they have tightened up in the past, Perryville, Brunswick...just saying beware of overconfidence.

Totally agree. One game at a time. One play at a time. Beat your man.

If FHs schedule was...

Boonsboro
Hollidaysburg
Keyser
Northern
Morgantown
Southern
South High
Mountain Ridge
Frankfort
Allegany

I would love to see that...

Frankfort no, but keyser has to stay.. if it's not a W it's a game at least...northern and southern have to go...rotate musselman and Martinsburg home n home break in between every 3rd year on a 5 year cycle...Fairmont sr or Bridgeport home n home every year.. until it's not competitive eitherway... sure we want to see that, until fh goes 6-4 and doesn't make the playoffs, then the fanatics will burn down greenway...

At one time scheduling was tied in to your schools size in regards to enrollement but I think that is no longer the case. Sports have changed drastically in the last decade at the high school level and I think you see schools developing into "All-Star" teams in their particular regions in different sports.

We all know that when teams experience success it makes parents more apt to take their son/daughter to that school even if it is not in their district or they have to move or get permits to attend other schools.

When that happens the local schools can no longer compete with them so at some point it makes no sense to play an all local schedule in which there is no competition and no interest. Fort Hill playing Southern, Northern,etc year in and year out is of no benefit to them.

Instead it benefits those schools to compete with the few local teams that provide a closer game and then find schools that are on their competitive level. Fort Hill did a good job this year with scheduling Morgantown and their are a few other WV schools close by (Fairmont Sr., Bridgeport) that would be interesting matchups for Fort Hill.

Some people argue that playing a tough schedule is important and that is what every school should strive to do. I think each coach at their own respective school knows their personnel, depth and quality of athletes and should strive to put together a reasonably competitive schedule to build and develop their program.

The playoffs.... championships... the whole thing is a perversion. Sports as an extra curricular experience for both athletes and students has degenerated into a haves-versus-patsy system where students don't attend the games and most athletes are grab-some-lumber bench sitters.

What started out as preparing our young adults to enter our communities has turned some schools into farm systems for colleges and turned other schools into glory domes for coaches and admins. As an overview its all really sad.... really.

Reactions: TDHelmick
The playoffs.... championships... the whole thing is a perversion. Sports as an extra curricular experience for both athletes and students has degenerated into a haves-versus-patsy system where students don't attend the games and most athletes are grab-some-lumber bench sitters.

What started out as preparing our young adults to enter our communities has turned some schools into farm systems for colleges and turned other schools into glory domes for coaches and admins. As an overview its all really sad.... really.

Is this the point where we blame the baby boomers? Interesting article related to what our society is these days and to your point indirectly...

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/11/1960s-cultural-political-agenda-institutionalized/

Once upon a time...the Turkey Day Game was all teams had. No championships to win. And I don't think people like my father, who played during those years, regret a single thing about having no playoff set up or a championship to play for.

I also do not believe at present from a local standpoint that Fort Hill is an all-star team by any stretch. Fort Hill has always been good at football using South Cumberland kids dating back to WWII. If we could rewind the clock 44 years and stick the Cumberland schools in Class 1A, either Alco or FH would win states every year or at least play in the title game. No different than what we are seeing now. With the county student population decline, I look at local football not so much as how FH has grown as a program but more how the other schools have dropped in competition levels. No offense to the current roster, but the players FH had 50 years ago were every bit as legit if not more so and the cupboard was much deeper. Athletes did not have the training and weight room programs we see today however.

Once upon a time not very long ago, neither Alco nor FH ever played football teams like Southern, Northern, Beall, Frankfort, Valley, Bruce, Smithsburg, Boonsboro, etc. That was unheard of because of school size. What has happened at FH however is that despite the student population being dropped, the football program level of play has not. And THAT is the testament to the kids and coaching staff competing today. The reasons are vast...tradition, hard work, dedication, fan and money support, coaching, player development at the lower levels, success which breeds into participation increases that other schools just don't have. I know some schools get offended when they hear that FH works harder and is more dedicated. But trust me fully that I have been around all the schools to see their programs in-season and off-season and the difference between them and FH is night and day. FH has sold its soul to being a football program. The other sports, not...despite having the same student-athletes at their disposal.

Last edited:
Totally agree.... I've always said it amazes me how dominating FH can be in football, and not so much in the other sports. Despite having the same athletes and the benefits of the football strength and conditioning program at their disposal, their wrestling program often finds itself looking up at other local programs like Southern and Northern. You would think with the volume of quick, strong athletes at their disposal, they would dominate this sport as well. In today's world of shrinking school population in the west, you can either be GREAT at ONE sport or GOOD at a lot of sports, but it is nearly impossible to be GREAT at a lot of sports.
Once upon a time...the Turkey Day Game was all teams had. No championships to win. And I don't think people like my father, who played during those years, regret a single thing about having no playoff set up or a championship to play for.

I also do not believe at present from a local standpoint that Fort Hill is an all-star team by any stretch. Fort Hill has always been good at football using South Cumberland kids dating back to WWII. If we could rewind the clock 44 years and stick the Cumberland schools in Class 1A, either Alco or FH would win states every year or at least play in the title game. No different than what we are seeing now. With the county student population decline, I look at local football not so much as how FH has grown as a program but more how the other schools have dropped in competition levels. No offense to the current roster, but the players FH had 50 years ago were every bit as legit if not more so and the cupboard was much deeper. Athletes did not have the training and weight room programs we see today however.

Once upon a time not very long ago, neither Alco nor FH ever played football teams like Southern, Northern, Beall, Frankfort, Valley, Bruce, Smithsburg, Boonsboro, etc. That was unheard of because of school size. What has happened at FH however is that despite the student population being dropped, the football program level of play has not. And THAT is the testament to the kids and coaching staff competing today. The reasons are vast...tradition, hard work, dedication, fan and money support, coaching, player development at the lower levels, success which breeds into participation increases that other schools just don't have. I know some schools get offended when they hear that FH works harder and is more dedicated. But trust me fully that I have been around all the schools to see their programs in-season and off-season and the difference between them and FH is night and day. FH has sold its soul to being a football program. The other sports, not...despite having the same student-athletes at their disposal.

Reactions: towpath94
ADVERTISEMENT