ADVERTISEMENT

Greenway Attendance

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
A discussion that has grown old. Greenway was empty tonight. A solid 5-0 Hollidaysburg team came here. Yea, it rained. Well call it more of a heavy mist in 70 degree weather. Blah, blah, blah.

I cannot begin to mention how many people I know, who days before the game, told me they would blow this game off because it might rain. I can watch it on TV.

Outside the band there were probably about 500 FH fans at the game. I've seen as many at the Quad and at JV games, which means the fans in attendance are mostly parents or family of a student involved whether as a player, cheerleader, band member, etc. There are numerous reasons why there are no longer fans in attendance. I have had this discussion dozens of times with so many well connected people from TV to radio to principals to ADs to administration to coaches to longtime sports writers, to this forum, etc.

These are the reasons there were 500 FH fans at the game tonight - in order:

1. Not many people live here any more
2. Few students attend games
3. A majority of fans are senior citizens and don't do bad weather
4. The game is on 3 radio stations and 2 TV streams (one live, one delay)
5. The cost for a family to attend can exceed $50

At least people know now it has nothing to do with the quality of the opponent as so many tried to argue the past 5-8 years. You were incorrect then and now.

Disgruntled I am not. Saddened at what Cumberland has become, yea to a degree. But most of all I'm just pointing out the reasons as this discussion comes up at every single home game now. You can wipe out items 3 - 5 on that list above despite the fact those issues do decrease attendance. But even if those people returned, the total attendance difference would be negligible. It's an interesting discussion on small town America for sure. But just to repeat:

Not many people live here anymore and those that do are either over 50 years old or don't have much money. That is why Downtown, Canal Place, stores, jobs, etc. struggle or have disappeared. Anything outside #1 on the list is just talk and a linear function to #1 on the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT