ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill's 1st game

Waggle Pass

Hall of Fame Poster
Apr 5, 2002
Cumberland, Md via Pittsburgh, Pa
University Prep preview from the PPG.....

When Lou Berry started the program at University Prep in 2011, he took a win-fast, win-often approach.

The result has been three City League titles in six years, including last season’s thrilling, 15-14, come-from-behind victory against a Brashear team that was seeking a third consecutive championship.

University Prep scored with 56 seconds remaining to secure the win — and that treasured third City crown.

“Although we’ve had a short existence, there is an expectation to win,” said Berry, whose program also won City titles in 2011 and 2013. “We’ve been blessed to have that early success, and it was our first team that laid the groundwork. I think [a] big part of what we’ve done is that we like to challenge our kids. We run tough and competitive practices, which can be stressful mentally. But by the time we’re playing on Friday night, we feel the kids are prepared to perform at a high level.”

Scheduling tough non-conference opponents, such as Steubenville and Maryland state champion Fort Hill this fall, along with fielding a talented roster, have also greatly contributed to the program’s success.

Promising running backs Dorian Jackson and Damon Macklin look to lead an offense that returns just three starters. It was Jackson, the reigning 100- and 200-meter City track champion, who ignited a fourth-quarter comeback in the City final with an 8-yard scoring run that made it 14-9.

“Dorian plays on both sides of the ball for us, and he’s the centerpiece to our team,” said Berry, whose offense outscored City League opponents, 148-35, en route to four conference victories to close the season. “He’s a fast, physical back, and he can score in a variety of ways. In Macklin, we have a dynamic, shifty player who’s blossoming into a tremendous leader for the program.”

At quarterback, Berry is putting his trust in sophomore Kenneth Pipkins, who did not play last season. Despite his youth, Pipkins performed well in the offseason and demonstrated a high football I.Q., Berry said.

“He possesses great leadership qualities for such a young player,” said Berry, whose team ended last season with a loss to Erie Cathedral Prep, 58-12, in the PIAA Districts 8-10 Class 4A playoffs. “He loves the game, and he works hard at getting better every day.”

Pipkins has the luxury of throwing to senior Raujee Clerfe, the team’s No. 2 receiver in 2016 who played in the shadow of graduate Darious Shields, the MVP of the City League championship. Up front, senior Donte Massie will anchor both sides of the line.

“We feel like we’ve been able to find the recipe for success so far,” Berry said. “But this is a new season. And when you’re the champion, everyone wants to knock you off.”

Coach: Lou Berry

Years at school: 7

2016 record: 6-5

Returning starters: Offense 3, Defense 5

Key returners: Dorian Jackson (5-10, 180, Sr., RB-DB), Raujee Clerfe (5-10, 190, Sr., WR-LB), Damon Macklin (5-6, 150, Jr., RB-DB)

Westinghouse......

Coach Monte Robinson said his Westinghouse program “turned the corner” last season after qualifying for the City League playoffs for the first time since winning the championship in 2001.

What’s more, he sees better days ahead for the Bulldogs, who finished 5-5, 4-1, and outscored conference opponents by an average score of 33-10.

Their City season ended with a double-overtime loss to Brashear, 23-20, in the semifinals.

“One of the greatest games in the City in years,” said Robinson, whose team was eliminated from the PIAA Districts 5-8 Class 2A playoffs by Berlin-Brothersvalley, 21-20. “Unfortunately, we were on the wrong end of it. But I liked what I saw with this team. It was encouraging.”

With nine starters back on both sides of the ball, Robinson hopes to throw a house party in his 11th season as coach. His lines are experienced, his skill players have big-play capabilities, and returning quarterback Tay’Von Lee-Mattox looks to be ready to take the next step after a promising junior year.

“He’s a pocket passer, and he’s accurate,” Robinson said. “We run the ball a lot around here, but he had a couple two-touchdown games. And you could see that, as the season went on, he was improving and getting more comfortable. He’ll be an important leader for this team.”

At tailback, Robinson believes senior Jeremiah Nash is ready to breakout after playing sparingly on offense in 2016. Robinson said Nash has “Division I potential and is definitely a Division II guy,” given his speed, strength and football I.Q.

“He’s the first kid from here in years who is a real college recruit,” said Robinson, who enters his 11th season. “He worked extremely hard in the offseason and put on some weight. We feel that his football abilities and his success academically — he has a 3.5 grade-point average — will get him noticed.”

Another key to the offense is senior Raimere Waters, who primarily played on the defensive side of the ball at safety last season. Shifty and quick, Waters will be used in a slash-type role, Robinson said.

“We like the idea of moving him around,” Robinson said. “He has the ability to break a game open.”

Despite being a smaller City school at Class 2A, Westinghouse is looking for big things again in 2017.

“Our kids gained a lot of confidence from making the playoffs, and we don’t plan on going away,” Robinson said.

Coach: Monte Robinson

Years at school: 11

2016 record: 5-5, 4-1

Returning starters: Offense 9, Defense 9

Key returners: Jeremiah Nash (5-10, 180, Sr., CB-TB), Tay’Von Lee-Mattox (6-2, 170, Sr., QB), Raimere Waters (5-9, 160, Sr., WR-S)

Serra Catholic....

Serra Catholic might have been one of the biggest surprises in the WPIAL a year ago.

Not only did the Eagles finish at .500 during the regular season, they ended a six-year postseason drought by finishing in fifth place in the Three Rivers Conference.

Now, Serra Catholic is looking to build on its momentum from a year ago with a new coach and the same philosophy.

“The bar is set, and I have to continue what we started,” first-year Serra Catholic coach Jose Regus said. “I’ve got some big shoes to fill right there.”

This season also marks the 10-year anniversary of the last time Serra Catholic won a WPIAL championship. Though the Eagles will have a difficult time reaching that high-water mark — or even winning the conference considering the powerhouses like Steel Valley and East Allegheny are at the top — they could once again make a postseason run.

Regus had been with the program for the last three years and has seen the team go through the severe growing pains of dealing with a 1-8 campaign in 2014 to 3-6 in 2015 and 5-6 after a postseason loss to Neshannock a year ago.

“I’m real excited because I’ve seen the growth of the kids and I just want to continue what we started,” Regus said. “I think we surprised some people making the playoffs, but we knew that growth was coming, we’ve been preparing the kids and the kids have been putting in the work.”

Serra Catholic has not had a winning season since 2009 and only had 10 total wins from 2010-2015. The Eagles’ 15 wins since 2009 are as many as they had in 2007 when they won the WPIAL title and lost to Steelton-Highspire in their only PIAA championship game.

To make the move from 1-8 to the WPIAL playoffs in two years, however, has brought hope to a program that has struggled for the better part of a decade.

“It’s hard, but I think our kids are going to be excited, and I think we’re going to be able to compete a little bit more,” Regus said. “We just have to get the kids excited to play.”

Coach: Jose Regus

Years at school: 1

2016 record: 5-6

WPIAL playoff appearances: 9

Returning starters: Offense 7, Defense 7

Key returners: JaQuae Jackson (6-3, 160, Sr., WR-DB); Evan Honick (6-0, 175, Sr., QB), Khalil Smith (5-9, 185, Jr., RB-LB).

National ranking for University Prep is 4704, while FH is 1529. Alco's first game has Dunbar ranked 1475 while Alco is 2128. (Numbers are based on MaxPreps about a week ago).

Fort Hill should crunch them by halftime and win walking away by three scores minimum - that is unless FH lacks a pass rush this year to make up for their secondary. Allegany has the only real challenge in this year's opener.

CalPreps.com picks...

FH 38 USO 14

FH 44 Westinghouse 7

FH 42 Serra Catholic 14

Alco 20 Dunbar 27

FH 28 Dunbar 26

FH 26 Alco 17

FH 27 Melbourne CC 42

FH 20 Friendship Collegiate 27

Alco 21 Keyser 19

FH 31 Keyser 20

If Alco can block and pass, yes. Alllegany's front line people are as grit as last year's FH's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT