ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill vs Mountain Ridge

Tony54

All State Poster
Nov 17, 2018
What is the rationale behind Mountain Ridge being ranked so much higher in Maryland than Fort Hill for the upcoming football season. I also did a cal preps match up and they had Mountain Ridge winning also.

Honestly I have no idea. I also went to Cal Preps and matched them up against their entire schedule and it had Ridge winning every game. Plus for sh!ts and giggles I matched them up against some pretty significant schools, it had them winning several of those matchups also. (Now I am not sure how much we can really put into Cal Preps). I am a Ridge guy now, but I can't see this year's team being better than last year, (I also matched this year and last year up and they had this year's team winning). Last year's team was the best team to roam the halls of Ridge. This year's team should be fairly decent, but I too am confused at some of the predictions. Just my honest opinion from a Ridge fan.

Lots of games to be played. These polls won't really be accurate for about five weeks. More importantly for Ridge, they better not sleep on Alco. If Alco gets out of their first two games healthy, they are going to be a real handful. Like last year, I don't think that they have much depth, but their starters are a pretty good group.

Allegany has a freshman lineman on varsity 6 feet 240 pounds. Devin Tinnen good player on both sides of the ball you will be hearing that name.

Reactions: Tony54
Fort Hill not looking good? Heard the Bridgeport scrimmage game didn’t fare out so well…

Games are won and lost on the field. Not in some poll or ranking.

Mountain Ridge will not take Fort Hill lightly. And as CrickRat23 said, "Last year's team was the best to roam the halls of ridge." I agree with that statement 100%.

At the end of the day, the biggest question this year is ... Did the rest of 1A get any closer to competing with Mountain Ridge and Fort Hill for the opportunity to play for the State Championship? Allegany is probably the one school that has the chance to close that gap.

its half A now. or low A. its bullshit. winning a title at this level isnt like winning when dunbar was in 1A.

its half A now. or low A. its bullshit. winning a title at this level isnt like winning when dunbar was in 1A.
Not quite. Oakdale is in 3a and competes for a Title most years. This year theyre ranked number one in 3a and could not touch Fort Hill. The fact is Fort Hill and Dunbar have been way ahead of all the other schools most years

Fort Hill not looking good? Heard the Bridgeport scrimmage game didn’t fare out so well…
Fort Hill looked a little inexperienced against a very good Bridgeport team, who was running a gimmick offense very well. Fort Hill will still be Fort Hill.

Last edited:
Not quite. Oakdale is in 3a and competes for a Title most years. This year theyre ranked number one in 3a and could not touch Fort Hill. The fact is Fort Hill and Dunbar have been way ahead of all the other schools most years
Oakdale is 3A, and yes, it was a great win for FH. My original post is about how weak FHs playoff runs were the last 2 years. Douglass PG, Dunbar etc. in the classification was far more competitive. Example…. In 2017 FH beat MCC out of Fla. they were better than Oakdale I assure you. In the end FH lost to Dunbar in the 2017 1 A final. There wasn’t a cake walk path to a ring like there is now.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
The cakewalk is happening in other classes as well. Look at Dunbar's run to their Championships the last two years. In their runs they averaged 49.6 and 45 points per game, while giving up an average of around 5 and 9 points per game. In their championship game Patuxent played them to within one score. I really think that Covid had a lot to do with this as sports was put in the back burner. I'm thinking that some teams will catch up while others will continue to take up space.
In 2021, 2A Douglas had a cakewalk through their first two games, then the games got a little more competitive. In 2022, they were knocked out, I think in the quarter finals. But I'm getting off track a little. Fort Hill and Dunbar are small schools that have great staffs. These teams could pretty much compete with most schools in the State. But there are also several other smaller schools in the State that could compete with Fort Hill and Dunbar on any given year. The Covid restrictions wiped out these programs, but they will be back, we just have to be patient.

Knowing that the State is not going to give up the six classes (money, money, money!) I'd like to see one more week of football, a super championship week you might say. Three games where the 6 champions match up for a "pride" game. That would be a great weekend of high school football.

Reactions: ravemwp
Indeed the classes have been watered down, but you can only play it the way the state sets it up. Winning the State Championship under the rules given still counts, and can't be held against the schools that win. Though I for one would like to see it more competitive as well.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
The cakewalk is happening in other classes as well. Look at Dunbar's run to their Championships the last two years. In their runs they averaged 49.6 and 45 points per game, while giving up an average of around 5 and 9 points per game. In their championship game Patuxent played them to within one score. I really think that Covid had a lot to do with this as sports was put in the back burner. I'm thinking that some teams will catch up while others will continue to take up space.
In 2021, 2A Douglas had a cakewalk through their first two games, then the games got a little more competitive. In 2022, they were knocked out, I think in the quarter finals. But I'm getting off track a little. Fort Hill and Dunbar are small schools that have great staffs. These teams could pretty much compete with most schools in the State. But there are also several other smaller schools in the State that could compete with Fort Hill and Dunbar on any given year. The Covid restrictions wiped out these programs, but they will be back, we just have to be patient.

Knowing that the State is not going to give up the six classes (money, money, money!) I'd like to see one more week of football, a super championship week you might say. Three games where the 6 champions match up for a "pride" game. That would be a great weekend of high school footb

Oakdale is 3A, and yes, it was a great win for FH. My original post is about how weak FHs playoff runs were the last 2 years. Douglass PG, Dunbar etc. in the classification was far more competitive. Example…. In 2017 FH beat MCC out of Fla. they were better than Oakdale I assure you. In the end FH lost to Dunbar in the 2017 1 A final. There wasn’t a cake walk path to a ring like there is now.
So what. By the end of that season against Dunbar, Fort Hill was so injured, they wouldn’t have beat a lot of teams. Dunbar was not good enough to make it to the finals because they got beat by Douglas a year or two later
If they had make it to the finals that year, Fort Hill would have crushed them.
I truly believe that Fort Hill and Dunbar would win 1a,2a and 3a most years.

Also, it wasn’t just a good win for Fort Hill. Fort Hill, crushed Oakdale for three years straight.

No argument here. However, once the playoffs start, it’s gravy and it’s hard to be interested. The regular season is a different story. Great schedule!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT