ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill vs Martinsburg

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
JV teams get it on 6:00 Monday at the stadium. Looking forward to a good game. Too bad it can't be varsity too. We see lots of teams play freshman and JV but not varsity. Remove the playoff component and everybody actually plays each other.

"Remove the playoff component and everybody actually plays each other."

Yeah right...:rolleyes:

The list of teams since 2015 that have played FH in football at the JV and freshman level but not the varsity:

Martinsburg
Musselman
Hedgesville
Bedford
Spring Mills
Frankfort (4 straight years)
Morgantown
Southern
Altoona
Manchester Valley
Berkeley Springs

:rolleyes:

The list of teams since 2015 that have played FH in football at the JV and freshman level but not the varsity:

Martinsburg
Musselman
Hedgesville
Bedford
Spring Mills
Morgantown
Southern
Altoona
Manchester Valley
Berkeley Springs

You can cross off Morgantown...

Martinsburg
Musselman
Hedgesville
Bedford
Spring Mills
Morgantown
Southern
Altoona
Manchester Valley
Berkeley Springs

Those other teams aren't trying to blow smoke up our ass like you just tried too. :D

You can cross off Morgantown...

But Morgantown has been playing FH for quite some time now long before varsity got a game done. As a Keyser poster pointed out here, They dropped FH for playoff positioning reasons. I belive that totally.

Those other teams aren't trying to blow smoke up our ass like you just tried too. :D
That made no sense. Not sure what you are trying to say. It's raining today so you wouldn't be at the Martinsburg game anyway. LOL

I just gave a list of teams that play but not at the varsity level. Hell if FH will play Martinsburg and Frankfort will play FH in JV why is that? You sound silly now.

Just a quick FYI...the Fort Hill vs. Martinsburg JV game set for tonight at 6:00 is a go! Despite a water logged environment the temperatures should be around 75 degrees. No thunder or lightening projected at this time. Kids should have some fun splashing around. Come on up and get a steamed hot dog :) Two good teams going at it.

That made no sense. Not sure what you are trying to say. It's raining today so you wouldn't be at the Martinsburg game anyway. LOL

I just gave a list of teams that play but not at the varsity level. Hell if FH will play Martinsburg and Frankfort will play FH in JV why is that? You sound silly now.

I think people would make an exception for a Martinsburg vs. FH game in the rain. But sadly and I mean no disrespect, it aint happening captain with this current football administration. Thats what I meant by "blowing smoke" playoffs or no playoffs it would never happen after the beatings FH took those couple years. Just look at what happened with FCA.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
I think people would make an exception for a Martinsburg vs. FH game in the rain. But sadly and I mean no disrespect, it aint happening captain with this current football administration. Thats what I meant by "blowing smoke" playoffs or no playoffs it would never happen after the beatings FH took those couple years. Just look at what happened with FCA.

I don't want to start another schedule argument. So this goes for just about every team I know...if everyone made the playoffs then we would see a ton of varsity games that have zero chance of happening now. Both in WV and Maryland. Yes, it's absolutely and postively about the playoffs. If we had a playoff at the frosh and JV level you wouldn't see these teams play there either.

I know, I know the responses..."but certain teams would make the playoffs regardless". That's not true and it has happened many times where an 8-2 team is out. There is no way anyone can 100% guarantee a playoff spot for any team with 2 or 3 losses. You could not tell that to any head coach.

I don't want to start another schedule argument. So this goes for just about every team I know...if everyone made the playoffs then we would see a ton of varsity games that have zero chance of happening now. Both in WV and Maryland. Yes, it's absolutely and postively about the playoffs. If we had a playoff at the frosh and JV level you wouldn't see these teams play there either.

I know, I know the responses..."but certain teams would make the playoffs regardless". That's not true and it has happened many times where an 8-2 team is out. There is no way anyone can 100% guarantee a playoff spot for any team with 2 or 3 losses. You could not tell that to any head coach.

Then find 9 silver oaks and schedule Martinsburg. 9-1 isnt keeping you out. Real reason is coaches arent scheduling anyone they cant run the trap on and is going to force them out of their comfort zone and make them incorporate a pass or two.. This is a pointless and endless debate. But everyone outside of a few homers knows the real reason. Every year its a different excuse

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Then find 9 silver oaks and schedule Martinsburg. 9-1 isnt keeping you out. Real reason is coaches arent scheduling anyone they cant run the trap on and is going to force them out of their comfort zone and make them incorporate a pass or two.. This is a pointless and endless debate. But everyone outside of a few homers knows the real reason. Every year its a different excuse

Well you just proved my point by making it a Fort Hill thing again. It's not just a Fort Hill thing. Take the glasses off. Where's Keyser by the way? You have made it clear you do not care what other schools do. That's fine, but it's not intelligent. If everyone made the playoffs, this all goes away.

To prove my point, why is FH playing Martinsburg JV tonight? And again with the 9th grade team playing Martinsburg later this season. Do you have another explanation? Like what was already posted Frankfort played FH JV for a good stretch the last 5 years. C'mon man, you have to be smarter than that.

Well you just proved my point by making it a Fort Hill thing again. It's not just a Fort Hill thing. Take the glasses off. Where's Keyser by the way? You have made it clear you do not care what other schools do. That's fine, but it's not intelligent. If everyone made the playoffs, this all goes away.

To prove my point, why is FH playing Martinsburg JV tonight? And again with the 9th grade team playing Martinsburg later this season. Do you have another explanation? Like what was already posted Frankfort played FH JV for a good stretch the last 5 years. C'mon man, you have to be smarter than that.

Let it go. Savage's only interest is what FH can do for him. If the weather isnt jist right he aint going. If it's too far away like the state championship game he will complain why it's not on tv. He doesn't have an answer why FH is playing Martinsburg tonight anymore than why most every team in 100 miles won't play FH.

Just stop it... The original post has FH and Martinsburg in the title. The only one made it about those two teams was your lap dog Brian talking about what teams would if the stars aligned to perfectly suit certain teams. I would fight Mike tyson in his prime if he was intoxicated too... :rolleyes: guess it's easier to say what someone would do

Just stop it... The original post has FH and Martinsburg in the title. The only one made it about those two teams was your lap dog Brian talking about what teams would if the stars aligned to perfectly suit certain teams. I would fight Mike tyson in his prime if he was intoxicated too... :rolleyes: guess it's easier to say what someone would do
I still can't make out what you are trying to say. The original post was about tonight's JV game. The one where FH plays Martinsburg.

I still can't make out what you are trying to say. The original post was about tonight's JV game. The one where FH plays Martinsburg.

Right then Brian segued into the topic removing the playoff component and teams would then play each other. Which isnt the case the playoff component is just another excuse. Certain teams won't play certain teams playoff or no playoff. That's not just FH by the way. I'm sure Martinsburg wont play certain teams. Keyser won't play certain teams and alco won't either. Theres no shame in just being truthful and stop the excuses is all im saying. Call a spade a spade.

FH JV down to Martinsburg JV at the half, 6-0.

Martinsburg JV is huge compared to FH. A major missed holding call set up Martinsburg first TD or this game might be 0-0 at the half.

Martinsburg wins 20-6.

Great game to watch. Yes Martinsburg was HUGE up front. That nose guard had to be over 300 poinds. Of course all the FH people were crying that Martinsburg used juniors and seniors. LOL. Certain FH people cry about that every game. FH had their chances. Bad field position the whole game though. Three possessions for FH started inside their own 15 yard line. Martinsburg def a better team but not by a large margin. It was 14-6 with 3 minutes left and FH had to go for it on 4th and long inside their own 20. Didn't get it and the Dogs scores 3 plays later. But you can see why Martinsburg is the king of WV football by a huge margin. Kudos for putting this game together. FH freshmen go to Martinsburg to close the season.

Conversely, you don't see a Wise or FCA, or any of the Balt/DC private schools on the Martinsburg schedule, though they have been Nationally ranked.

Conversely, you don't see a Wise or FCA, or any of the Balt/DC private schools on the Martinsburg schedule, though they have been Nationally ranked.

You're a day late and a dollar short George..

Catch up, I've already stated, " That's not just FH by the way. I'm sure Martinsburg wont play certain teams. Keyserwon't play certain teams and alco won't either."

I think if we all put ourselves in the position of being a high school head coach and trying to build or field a competitive program our thoughts would change. Ultimately that coach knows what he can do with the number and quality of athletes available to him year in and year out.

From that point he needs to build a schedule that best suits the needs and goals of his program. Making a post-season run is always the goal of any program and since playoff eligibility is based on wins/losses and points the coach must work from that point.

I feel in this day and age it less about the size of the school you play but more about obtaining schools that offer a good competitive game for your team and maybe a game or two in which you play an opponent that is usually superior to your team but every so many years you can compete with them.

If you build your schedule in this manner your team is challenged most weeks, may lose some games along the way but will progress and improve and thus be a competitive playoff team.

One thing that is often neglected when you look at a schools program is the depth they may or may not have. That too must be taken into consideration as you schedule.The tougher the schedule the greater the likelihood of injuries occurring. Do you have the depth to remain competitive once that happens?

I'm going to go to the playoff scenario although it has been discussed at length here. The WV system with 16 slots available in all three classes is a system that offers the fairest route for all teams. It does not consider the regions but is statewide and rewards teams with better rankings home field spots in playoffs based on win/losses and the quality of the wins based on the teams you play and their wins and losses.

I have never been a head football coach (did some assistant coaching)and have no desire to so. I think if many of us did it would change our views on many of the topics discussed here. Hats off to the fine men who step up and take the challenge to lead, mold and inspire our younger generation as high school football coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT