ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill at Southern

The biggest stat of the game: FH 2 fumbles lost, Southern 0 turnovers. That is how you pull an upset, don't turn the ball over. Kudos to Southern for protecting the ball.

The fumbles by FH were monstous. One with 30 seconds left before halftime inside the Southern 20 that would have been at least an automatic FG and a 9-0 halftime lead.

The 2nd fumble gave Southern the ball at the FH 11 yard line. 3 plays later it was a Southern TD. It was the only time Southern got into the FH red zone the entire night.

Take away the penalties and turnovers and FH wins by 3 scores. But that is what FH does - gets flagged for penalties and fumbles.

The coaches directing the FH passing game should be fired. Horrible. Throw a 5 yard pass over the middle just once please. Just one time this year. Fart and the FH play caller jumps 10 feet.
Is there really any doubt whose directing the passing game? Personally I think this year is different because he has NO confidence in his qb at all.

Southern said their using this game as a measuring stick... they still have a long way to go.
FH: 45
Southern: 7
Southern said their using this game as a measuring stick... they still have a long way to go.
You really have that much confidence in this team? I really don't see that happening. With all the senseless penalties and turnovers there is not much reason to believe they would completely turn it around against a solid team(this is not reginald lewis or capitol christian) . It will also be interesting to see how this team will respond on the road for the first time.
I hope you are right but if they come out with a win I'll take it.

so what do you think of fh now? I was clearly right to be concerned, this is just not the same fh that we've seen over the past several years.

Reactions: camper21502
You really have that much confidence in this team? I really don't see that happening. With all the senseless penalties and turnovers there is not much reason to believe they would completely turn it around against a solid team(this is not reginald lewis or capitol christian) . It will also be interesting to see how this team will respond on the road for the first time.

so what do you think of fh now? I was clearly right to be concerned, this is just not the same fh that we've seen over the past several years.
I’m still not concerned. Penalties are correctable. The fumbles are part of the game but for the most part they can be cleaned up. No doubt this isn’t the same team as the years past but their still fine. It’s hard to gain any momentum when there’s constantly a flag being thrown ( some right, some questionable) or when your putting the ball on the turf but this team finds a way to win.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
The biggest stat of the game: FH 2 fumbles lost, Southern 0 turnovers. That is how you pull an upset, don't turn the ball over. Kudos to Southern for protecting the ball.

The fumbles by FH were monstous. One with 30 seconds left before halftime inside the Southern 20 that would have been at least an automatic FG and a 9-0 halftime lead.

The 2nd fumble gave Southern the ball at the FH 11 yard line. 3 plays later it was a Southern TD. It was the only time Southern got into the FH red zone the entire night.

Take away the penalties and turnovers and FH wins by 3 scores. But that is what FH does - gets flagged for penalties and fumbles.

The coaches directing the FH passing game should be fired. Horrible. Throw a 5 yard pass over the middle just once please. Just one time this year. Fart and the FH play caller jumps 10 feet.
I don't always agree with your posts, but this one is how I see it, as well.

With the rush teams are bringing, a couple of screen plays would stop the mad run blitz every play.

You may be right. Or, maybe Southern is just a very good football team. They hold onto the ball and, most importantly, they have a passing game. With a possible rematch looming, that's what concerns me most.

Reactions: Redwhite90
FH will make the playoffs. They may even get to the semis but this team is not at the level where they can rely on the ground game despite putting up yards statistically. We are 5 games in, plus one quarter and fumbles have not been cleaned up, whether it is raining or not. We have seen wet and dry balls put on the turf. We do not have backs with break away speed, a line that can blow consistent holes open and get to the second level. The coaches are clearly not confident in the ground game or FH would not settle for FG’s on 4th and 3 or 4th in 2 deep in the opponents’ territory.

The pass plays are slow developing, even the hitches. The receivers are almost always locked down with coverage until it is too late. How the heck can teams like Southern, Mtn Ridge, Frankfort, etc, with far fewer athletes spread the ball out in the air and look decent doing it, yet FH can’t run a smooth looking hitch except maybe 1 out of 4 times? FH has the opportunity to practice in games the next two weeks. They will be able to get a quick 14-21 points on the ground. I hope they work on other offensive schemes if there are any being worked on or re-enter the old school passing attack out of the WingT/Pro-Set. If FH can’t pass to get the pressure off the run game, Dunbar will mercy FH if they meet.

This, of course, is an armchair perspective. FH is 5-0.

Last edited:
The coaches are clearly not confident in the ground game or FH would not settle for FG’s on 4th and 3 or 4th in 2 deep in the opponents’ territory.

I’m all for taking the points you can get when you can get em. That’s football, and FH has a non traditional weapon in DK... use what you got

Reactions: hbpass2
FH will make the playoffs. They may even get to the semis but this team is not at the level where they can rely on the ground game despite putting up yards statistically. We are 5 games in, plus one quarter and fumbles have not been cleaned up, whether it is raining or not. We have seen wet and dry balls put on the turf. We do not have backs with break away speed, a line that can blow consistent holes open and get to the second level. The coaches are clearly not confident in the ground game or FH would not settle for FG’s on 4th and 3 or 4th in 2 deep in the opponents’ territory.

The pass plays are slow developing, even the hitches. The receivers are almost always locked down with coverage until it is too late. How the heck can teams like Southern, Mtn Ridge, Frankfort, etc, with far fewer athletes spread the ball out in the air and look decent doing it, yet FH can’t run a smooth looking hitch except maybe 1 out of 4 times? FH has the opportunity to practice in games the next two weeks. They will be able to get a quick 14-21 points on the ground. I hope they work on other offensive schemes if there are any being worked on or re-enter the old school passing attack out of the WingT/Pro-Set. If FH can’t pass to get the pressure off the run game, Dunbar will mercy FH if they meet.

I think the one thing fh doesn't do which southern/ridge/frankfort do is adjust to what they have to work with. Not everybody can just ground and pound and when you don't have a bruising fb or you do have a qb with an arm you change your offense to adapt. FH just doesn't adapt, they have one plan and they stick to it year after year regardless...it almost always works but when it doesn't there is no backup plan.

Reactions: 4R341
I wouldn’t be surprised if those Lackey numbers are their 9-12th grade numbers as opposed to the 9-11 numbers based on their trends with having 520 9th and 10th graders last year and considering their primary feeder middle school only has a bit over 500 kids total. Westlake made a similar mistake a few cycles ago but quickly corrected it when they saw themselves in 4A.

ultrawalt, what you can you tell us about Fairmont Heights? Can they actually take out Lackey or Douglass as a regional champ?

It appears obvious that FH has completely bailed on the passing game. The OL cannot pass protect, the receivers aren't getting open, the QB is very uncomfortable in the pocket and the pass play selection is poor. I look for FH to fine tune their running game the next two weeks with severe lopsided scores. Subs in before halftime. 3-5 passes a game.

FH won't even attempt a 5 yard pass. But hey they win games. At least until they square off against better competition. What I see now offensively is good enough to win the West region possibly. Any goals beyond that would be hard to achieve. FH cannot expect to beat top tier teams while never having to throw the football successfully to some small degree. With that said, it continues to boggle my mind why they don't fine tune those things against these lesser opponents. The FH starting QB threw the ball 3 times against Capital Christian.

On a separate note...FH fans are some of the most spoiled fans on the planet. Next to Florida State fans that is (I'm looking in the mirror LOL).

Last edited:
It appears obvious that FH has completely bailed on the passing game. The OL cannot pass protect, the receivers aren't getting open, the QB is very uncomfortable in the pocket and the pass play selection is poor. I look for FH to fine tune their running game the next two weeks with severe lopsided scores. Subs in before halftime. 3-5 passes a game.

FH won't even attempt a 5 yard pass. But hey they win games. At least until they square off against better competition. What I see now offensively is good enough to win the West region possibly. Any goals beyond that would be hard to achieve. FH cannot expect to beat top tier teams while never having to throw the football successfully to some small degree. With that said, it continues to boggle my mind why they don't fine tune those things against these lesser opponents. The FH starting QB threw the ball 3 times against Capital Christian.

On a separate note...FH fans are some of the most spoiled fans on the planet. Next to Florida State fans that is (I'm looking in the mirror LOL).
No problem with abandoning the passing game as long as you do something to replace it. Stick your fastest guy back in the wildcat and add a weapon to the backfield. The most dangerous offensive threats are being wasted.

If "If's and buts were candy and nuts....." I'm sure if you take away every Fort Hill mistake and turnover in every game, they would have a pretty good chance of winning from now until infinity....I'm pretty sure there were TWO teams out on the field playing hard Friday night.
I also remember on the opening drive that Southern was marching down the field , Southern getting a holding call on a third down which took it from a first and 10 on the 15 yard line to a 3rd and 20 plus from the 30 .
Also, after Southern had stopped Fort Hill on a 3rd and 5 to force a punt from their own 25 , Southern was hit with a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Southern was about to get the ball back with 6 minutes to go and the score tied 9 to 9 after having just tied it on the previous drive.
I give credit to both teams out there on the field for playing such a great, entertaining game. Last week after Capitol Christian, some said they believed Fort Hill had the best, fastest most physical defense they have seen in years. Many predicted a lop-sided blowout with a running clock in the second half. This week, their defense is in shambles and their offense is non-existent.
Often the other's teams effort is just dismissed and it's what FH or ALCO didn't do . Fort Hill is still the King and ALCO the upper tier. But with declining enrollment and other teams catching up most importantly with a STRENGTH program, I can see the gap between the other 1A teams and the top tier narrowing. With their enrollment and coaching staff, I can definitely see the Ridge being the new bully on the block in the future years to come.

If "If's and buts were candy and nuts....." I'm sure if you take away every Fort Hill mistake and turnover in every game, they would have a pretty good chance of winning from now until infinity....I'm pretty sure there were TWO teams out on the field playing hard Friday night.
I also remember on the opening drive that Southern was marching down the field , Southern getting a holding call on a third down which took it from a first and 10 on the 15 yard line to a 3rd and 20 plus from the 30 .
Also, after Southern had stopped Fort Hill on a 3rd and 5 to force a punt from their own 25 , Southern was hit with a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Southern was about to get the ball back with 6 minutes to go and the score tied 9 to 9 after having just tied it on the previous drive.
I give credit to both teams out there on the field for playing such a great, entertaining game. Last week after Capitol Christian, some said they believed Fort Hill had the best, fastest most physical defense they have seen in years. Many predicted a lop-sided blowout with a running clock in the second half. This week, their defense is in shambles and their offense is non-existent.
Often the other's teams effort is just dismissed and it's what FH or ALCO didn't do . Fort Hill is still the King and ALCO the upper tier. But with declining enrollment and other teams catching up most importantly with a STRENGTH program, I can see the gap between the other 1A teams and the top tier narrowing. With their enrollment and coaching staff, I can definitely see the Ridge being the new bully on the block in the future years to come.

I never discredited Southern. Turnovers and penalties are a huge part of the game and it has become the identity of FH so far this season in every game. Southern protected the ball and that's part of being a good team.

Who said the FH defense is in shambles? Defense won the game yet again for FH. Southern never got in the red zone all night other than the fumble they recovered.

But I believe you are way off on the area gap closing. In fact most see it widening massively based on what is going on at the lower levels where the scores are like 42-0 at halftime. OK, so this year where FH only had 2 starters returning and replaced all 6 offensive linemen you can assume that. Its one of those years. We will see if Southern wants to re up on another 2 year contract.

Reactions: Red White and True
The answer to the lack of a passing game at FH might be very simple, maybe #19 just can't get it done...?

Exhibit 1: #3 comes in at Southern to run a spread offense.

Coach Appel is in a terrible spot. If a QB change needed, is #15 next up?

The answer to the lack of a passing game at FH might be very simple, maybe #19 just can't get it done...?

Exhibit 1: #3 comes in at Southern to run a spread offense.

Coach Appel is in a terrible spot. If a QB change needed, is #15 next up?

In all fairness, if a new QB comes in he has to be evaluated by the same standard of 3 passes per game and nothing thrown short. Otherwise if you are going to bring in a new QB and let him rip it 8 tImes with a whole new passing route scheme then that kid should have been named the QB long ago. Not to be Capt. Obvious but the OL is the weak link. Has been since day 1. The QB has 2 seconds to throw the ball every pass.

In all fairness, if a new QB comes in he has to be evaluated by the same standard of 3 passes per game and nothing thrown short. Otherwise if you are going to bring in a new QB and let him rip it 8 tImes with a whole new passing route scheme then that kid should have been named the QB long ago. Not to be Capt. Obvious but the OL is the weak link. Has been since day 1. The QB has 2 seconds to throw the ball every pass.
There has been a lot of talk about the O line and I think it's fair...however, what in the world is the logic to take a returning O lineman who was really impressive as a junior and move him into tight end or wing or whatever else they decide to do with him. The only place I think he should have been moved is fb where he could create some yards on his own just with his size and speed. Please tell me if I'm wrong, I'd like to think the person who decided it would be good to take one returning lineman and move him had a vision.

There has been a lot of talk about the O line and I think it's fair...however, what in the world is the logic to take a returning O lineman who was really impressive as a junior and move him into tight end or wing or whatever else they decide to do with him. The only place I think he should have been moved is fb where he could create some yards on his own just with his size and speed. Please tell me if I'm wrong, I'd like to think the person who decided it would be good to take one returning lineman and move him had a vision.
He was a TE who was converted Guard last year out of necessity

He was a TE who was converted Guard last year out of necessity
So you think his performance at te is above and beyond what he contributed as a guard? You may think that but te isn't part of this offense any more than a passing qb, so why not use him at guard where he was pretty darn good?

So the QB makes the play calls and decides if he passes or not? Not last time I checked. If you watched any of the game vs Southern you would know that the QB #19 made a few great audible calls/plays that helped win the game. I have no blood in this game just what I saw from the perspective of someone who knows football. I would have had the kid throw more than a few times the way the Southern D was stacked and played the run so well.

Just curious where your opinion comes from and based off what?

So the QB makes the play calls and decides if he passes or not? Not last time I checked. If you watched any of the game vs Southern you would know that the QB #19 made a few great audible calls/plays that helped win the game. I have no blood in this game just what I saw from the perspective of someone who knows football. I would have had the kid throw more than a few times the way the Southern D was stacked and played the run so well.

Just curious where your opinion comes from and based off what?
You just contradicted yourself. You said the qb doesn't make the calls nor decides to pass or not, then says he made a few great audibles...which is it? Big picture - is the qb leading fh to a state title? Does the coach have any confidence in his passing ability? If he's making audibles does he also get credit for having to use 3 timeouts for not being able to get a play off while he's changing the play? Does he get credit for his miscues/fumbles? Just wondering whether or not the southern game was the only one you watched and if you felt that was a good barometer of the whole season.

You just contradicted yourself. You said the qb doesn't make the calls nor decides to pass or not, then says he made a few great audibles...which is it? Big picture - is the qb leading fh to a state title? Does the coach have any confidence in his passing ability? If he's making audibles does he also get credit for having to use 3 timeouts for not being able to get a play off while he's changing the play? Does he get credit for his miscues/fumbles? Just wondering whether or not the southern game was the only one you watched and if you felt that was a good barometer of the whole season.

Well thanks for letting me know your opinion is based off little knowledge of how high school sports are ran. Audibles at 90% of the high schools anywhere, are run audibles, not passing. Everyone within 150 miles knows Fort Hill is a running school, has been since Truman was president! Also, audibles are not play calls, they are alternates or a change to a play call. So as far as contradicting myself, not so fast my little message board tough guy. Sounds like you have a personal thing with a KID or KIDS on that team which is sad.

Me, I have seen 2 FH games this year (Southern and Morgantown). You can not have a lot of faith in the passing game as a coach if there is no time to throw the ball. In both games the box was loaded and the receivers have no time to run routes with a QB that has no time to throw. So unless that team has a mobile QB like Deshaun Watson or Mike Vick with some great route running WR's like Tim Brown or Jerry Rice, I don't know how would one run a passing offense, nor why they would pass. #19 is not a D1 QB or for that fact a D2 QB. But it seems like your teams best option for QB is the one they are starting or does the coaching staff not know what they are doing? As far as your questions about credit/blame...coaches and players are both responsible for the good and the bad. Me though, I just don't like people going after a KID or KIDS on message boards behind some made up name.

ultrawalt, what you can you tell us about Fairmont Heights? Can they actually take out Lackey or Douglass as a regional champ?

I'm usually skeptical about FH but this season they have wins over two traditionally solid squads, Oxon Hill and Potomac. I still have Douglass coming out of the region though.

Well thanks for letting me know your opinion is based off little knowledge of how high school sports are ran. Audibles at 90% of the high schools anywhere, are run audibles, not passing. Everyone within 150 miles knows Fort Hill is a running school, has been since Truman was president! Also, audibles are not play calls, they are alternates or a change to a play call. So as far as contradicting myself, not so fast my little message board tough guy. Sounds like you have a personal thing with a KID or KIDS on that team which is sad.

Me, I have seen 2 FH games this year (Southern and Morgantown). You can not have a lot of faith in the passing game as a coach if there is no time to throw the ball. In both games the box was loaded and the receivers have no time to run routes with a QB that has no time to throw. So unless that team has a mobile QB like Deshaun Watson or Mike Vick with some great route running WR's like Tim Brown or Jerry Rice, I don't know how would one run a passing offense, nor why they would pass. #19 is not a D1 QB or for that fact a D2 QB. But it seems like your teams best option for QB is the one they are starting or does the coaching staff not know what they are doing? As far as your questions about credit/blame...coaches and players are both responsible for the good and the bad. Me though, I just don't like people going after a KID or KIDS on message boards behind some made up name.
I disagree, If he isn't running the play that was called then he's calling the play. A little defensive of your son/nephew/cousin/friends kid? I'm not quite so sure, tough guy, who hides behind a screen name, then accuses somebody else of hiding behind a screen name. Next time you go to all the scrimmages, half the practices, and all of the games...make an informed comment. Until then, questioning somebody else's knowledge and calling them names makes it appear as though you have some personal interest or insecurity,so you lose credibility.

Last edited:
I disagree, If he isn't running the play that was called then he's calling the play. A little defensive of your son/nephew/cousin/friends kid? I'm not quite so sure, tough guy, who hides behind a screen name, then accuses somebody else of hiding behind a screen name. Next time you go to all the scrimmages, half the practices, and all of the games...make an informed comment. Until then, questioning somebody else's knowledge and calling them names makes it appear as though you have some personal interest or insecurity,so you lose credibility.

So your credibility is also lost. Good. I myself will make this my last post. No family or friends on Douthern, Morgantown, or Gort Hill. I sir am a former 4 year starter for WVU who now is a coach and recruiter for a division 2 school. Yeah I hide behind the name too...but to call out an adult who bashes kids. That is my only issue in this, you or anybody calling out ANY KID.

As for the dad, he sounds like a message board tough guy too. Maybe the two of you could meet and scream at each other in front of your kids. Stop bashing kids on message boards and try to be better.

Reactions: Redwhite90
No wv I’m not a message board tough guy. I just check this thing once in a while and seen this clown calling out my kid. Then u came on and he called u his dad or other family. So I took the liberty of calling myself out. This puss is free to have his opinion. I just think she should out herself like I did. If not no biggie. When Appel thinks Blake has had enough I guess that’s what matters. I actually think the boy is doing ok. What do I know? I actually played though. Just like you. If you are who u say you are. Probly not though just like this woman foreverredandwhite. I wish we’d all just call ourselves out but that won’t happen.

So your credibility is also lost. Good. I myself will make this my last post. No family or friends on Douthern, Morgantown, or Gort Hill. I sir am a former 4 year starter for WVU who now is a coach and recruiter for a division 2 school. Yeah I hide behind the name too...but to call out an adult who bashes kids. That is my only issue in this, you or anybody calling out ANY KID.

As for the dad, he sounds like a message board tough guy too. Maybe the two of you could meet and scream at each other in front of your kids. Stop bashing kids on message boards and try to be better.

His dad seems to have it covered, albeit a little bit sensitive himself...maybe the metoo movement has reached Cumberland.
Would love to confess to calling kids out or bashing them but since I wasn't you both can interpret it any way you want...or not.
FYI - there is a moderator on this site and if I said something offensive/inappropriate/bashing of a kid...report me, please! Let the moderator review it and take it down.

Last edited:
You’re not a puss for thinking Blake isn’t the man for the job. You’re a puss because You’re hiding. Seems like the metoo movement is more suited for u.

You’re not a puss for thinking Blake isn’t the man for the job. You’re a puss because You’re hiding. Seems like the metoo movement is more suited for u.
nice language dad. You might want to ask your wife what metoo means, you're confused. It's not about hiding that's for sure.
Been there, done that. as long as the comments about my boys were about their performance and not personal i shrugged it off.
When Appel thinks Blake has had enough I guess that’s what matters. If you really felt that way nothing I could say would really matter. Sorry I got to you metoo.

Last edited:
It’s only an opinion. Stand behind your opinion with your identity, or not. The opinion would be more legitimate that way.

No need to say anymore. 2 types of people on this board, those that hide and those that don’t. Having back and forth with someone that hides is futile. If you ever find some courage, come see me and we can have a discussion about the offense.

No knock on any FH QB ever, but if the QB can't throw he should be a part of the running game- option, QB draw, bootleg, etc. Go wildcat. Protecting a golden arm is one thing, but if the QB doesn't throw and only runs twice a game you're wasting a player!

I have a question. Did you ever think that Todd, thinking that he'd see Southern again, kept his offense basic, doing just enough to win? He has done this before. I'm calling game two now, Fort Hill wins with a running clock.

I have a question. Did you ever think that Todd, thinking that he'd see Southern again, kept his offense basic, doing just enough to win? He has done this before. I'm calling game two now, Fort Hill wins with a running clock.
If you listened to Todd’s post game interview there was definitely something that happened during that game that he couldn’t talk about. I know there was a lot of trash talk leading up to and during the game. I believe that’s where the 5-8 unsportsmanlikes came from. Then there was the “southern hospitality”. Did anyone else hear after the game mark mangus say that the head ref was a southern grad? I’m not starting another referee thread but I think there was more to that game then what there was.

The stage was set for a Southern victory. Poor field conditions, especially along the sidelines. And let's not forget that crown in the middle of the field, how high was that, 12 inches? Kind of hard for anyone to pass if you're used to a level field. (I know, Fort Hill has issues passing, but they can throw the ball, don't take the passing game for granted.) Then there was the ref who threw the flag on anything. The pass interference call at the end of the game reminded me of the time that Southern knocked off Martinsburg because of a touchdown on an untimed play due to a pass interference call in the end zone on the last play of the game. I bet that Coach Walker still remembers that game!

Anyway, this Fort Hill team has done much better than I thought that they would. Do they commit penalties, yes. Will they fight...yes. Will they do things that don't make sense...YES. But this team has a fire about them that I haven't seen for a long time. And they do stand up for each other in a heartbeat. I love that about this team. It's Todd's job to keep these kids on the field and in the game and he's done a great job so far. (Don't know how many headaches he has had this season.) I said before the season that they would not run over everyone, but they are winning. If any other coaching staff would have these guys, they would have a 500 season. These kids are better than what you would think, I thought that their emotional play would get the better of them in at least one game but I'm not so sure that this is the case right now. If anything, penalties aside, their emotional play has been an asset.

No need to say anymore. 2 types of people on this board, those that hide and those that don’t. Having back and forth with someone that hides is futile. If you ever find some courage, come see me and we can have a discussion about the offense.
Two types of parent, one that jumps into a 17 year olds business totally emasculating him as if he can't take care of himself, perhaps moves away to college with him and into his dorm room, and those parents who realize if they are sensitive they may want to stay off message boards.
Actually there is a third kind of person, the kind that says they don't care what you say but they continue to have a name-calling tantrum on a message board...actions speak louder than words.
by the way, noticed you haven't changed your username. Pretty sure your perspective is if you are using a username you are a tough guy, a puss, and lacks courage. Since 99% of us don't go by our name it's kind of a blanket statement but if you want to lead the change then be the change...if you are who you say you are.

Last edited:
If you listened to Todd’s post game interview there was definitely something that happened during that game that he couldn’t talk about. I know there was a lot of trash talk leading up to and during the game. I believe that’s where the 5-8 unsportsmanlikes came from. Then there was the “southern hospitality”. Did anyone else hear after the game mark mangus say that the head ref was a southern grad? I’m not starting another referee thread but I think there was more to that game then what there was.

Manges is a FH, do you expect him to blame FH? Or do you think only graduates of other schools are biased.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT