ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill at Southern

Redwhite90

Varsity Poster
Oct 17, 2017
An early look to next week..
Both teams like to run first and pass last... Both defenses are stiff against the run but would give the edge to FH in the pass defense.
QB nod to Southern with experience.
Both teams have some quick backs with #32 for both teams serving as a power back. Nod to FH . Southern's OL has more experience but the OL for FH is quickly becoming a cohesive unit. Nod to Southern
Special teams edge is a no brainer with #3 for FH. Were it not for a missed conversion, both teams could be undefeated going into this week. Should be fun.....hoping the weather cooperates for Friday .

Prediction:
Well history favors FH and it makes it very hard to compare the two as there have been no common opponents .
I think Southern keeps it close but #3 wins the game with 3 FG's.
FH 23 SHS 21

Reactions: camper21502
Southern said their using this game as a measuring stick... they still have a long way to go.
FH: 45
Southern: 7

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Southern said their using this game as a measuring stick... they still have a long way to go.
FH: 45
Southern: 7
You really have that much confidence in this team? I really don't see that happening. With all the senseless penalties and turnovers there is not much reason to believe they would completely turn it around against a solid team(this is not reginald lewis or capitol christian) . It will also be interesting to see how this team will respond on the road for the first time.
I hope you are right but if they come out with a win I'll take it.

You really have that much confidence in this team? I really don't see that happening. With all the senseless penalties and turnovers there is not much reason to believe they would completely turn it around against a solid team(this is not reginald lewis or capitol christian) . It will also be interesting to see how this team will respond on the road for the first time.
I hope you are right but if they come out with a win I'll take it.
It seems like I may be one of the few who hasn’t lost confidence in this team. A lot of FH fans including myself were spoiled over the last 5 years with how explosive the offense has been and when they don’t put up 50 a game there’s got to be something wrong. In reality they’ve just played good defensive teams who can withstand the battle for 4 quarters. The offense will be just fine and you’ll see that Friday night.

Defensively, this is one of the best defensive teams I’ve ever seen in the Apple era. I’m giving southern 7 points out of generosity. I wouldn’t be shocked if southern is held for under 150 yards and shut out.

The penalties can be fixed in practice. It’s up to the team to want to fix them.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I don't believe Southern is half the team they hoped they would be with this senior class. From Mountain Ridge pounding them in a scrimmage, to the loss at home to Catoctin (who barely survived Williamsport this week) to a come from behind struggle with Pendleton. They have no speed and that's what does them in vs FH, who is easily still the king of the 1A West.

Although a very good team will blister FH this year. The offensive play calling is as conservative as its ever been. They don't have the OL to pound a good team between the tackles 50 out of 51 plays.

I think Southern will put up a fight but they're not quite ready to win a game like this. I'm gonna say FH wins 38-14

I think Southern has vastly improved over the last few years and I am glad to see that they hare having a good year thus far. Even with a home field advantage I don't see them competing with Fort Hill. I think we are looking at a 28-7 type of game. It would be great to see a close one though, with high school athletes you never know.

This Southern senior class believes they can play with FH so they will have the confidence.. FH needs to take that confidence away early. If the Sentinels come out flat then this will turn into a good game. This game will say alot about both teams.. I believe FH is too much for Southern but the Rams will play with enough pride to keep it from a running clock..
FH 35 Rams 14

Reactions: Redwhite90
Both teams like to run first and pass last... Both defenses are stiff against the run but would give the edge to FH in the pass defense.
Both teams have some quick backs with #32 for both teams serving as a power back. Nod to FH . Southern's OL has more experience but the OL for FH is quickly becoming a cohesive unit. Nod to Southern
Special teams edge is a no brainer with #3 for FH. Were it not for a missed conversion, both teams could be undefeated going into this week. Should be fun.....hoping the weather cooperates for Friday .

Prediction:
Well history favors FH and it makes it very hard to compare the two as there have been no common opponents .
FH 23 SHS 21

Although Southern has come a long way in the past few years and it is thought that this years senior team is supposed to be their best in quite some time...I don't think they can hang with FH. Like was discussed earlier, the Rams had trouble with much lesser teams so far this season. FH defense will take over early and I really don't see Southern doing much in the way of scoring.
Remember last year when the Rams came to Greenway with a challenge to Alco and it turned out to be a lopsided game. I expect much the same with the Hillians 48-6 with a running clock.
Don't get me wrong though, I'd like to see Southern do well... but not this time!

You make an excellent point about confidence. Honestly, I feel like the talent level between the 2 teams is comparable. BrianH keeps stating that the rams have no speed but I don't think that is the case. They have some quick backs and their QB may be the quickest of all of them. Not sure which games he has watched of them but if he is just basing it on the MR scrimmage, then I understand. Southern looked bad that scrimmage but they were using it to try out some different players in different situations so really not that indicative of their team. And we have come to realize MR is not such a bad team , just ask Coach Hansel.
I think the biggest difference between the 2 teams is the confidence level. Fort Hill steps on the field every game EXPECTING to win and usually calmly move about achieving that goal. The Rams are still in the HOPING to win stage and that usually leads to panic when faced with a difficult situation that arises during the game. If they can keep it close early and that Hope starts to switch to Expectation, then I feel like this could be a great game.
One last variable might be home field. The Oakland community has waited a LONG time for a Fort Hill team to come to town where they felt they can actually compete. That combined with Southern's homecoming could lead to a raucous home crowd. I imagine it will be standing room only and the visitor bleachers are tiny. May want to bring a camp chair along.

This Southern senior class believes they can play with FH so they will have the confidence.. FH needs to take that confidence away early. If the Sentinels come out flat then this will turn into a good game. This game will say alot about both teams.. I believe FH is too much for Southern but the Rams will play with enough pride to keep it from a running clock..
FH 35 Rams 14[/QUOTE

Southern is overrated! Fort Hill in a blowout!
Southern has two good years and they think they have arrived, give me a break! Their head coach is an idiot, proof by making Fort Hill as their homecoming game.

Some inside perspective. When coaches announced to the FH players back in the winter their schedule the game that got the loudest roar was Southern. This one has been circled big time. Because these seniors have never gotten the chance to play Southern since that 8th grade youth league season outside of a playoff game last year when that great Southern class was only juniors. They are tired of hearing about it. They are jacked.

Confidence level to Southern possibly on something based on 4 years ago. But raw emotion factor - an angry buzz saw is headed to Oakland on Friday.

Southern is overrated! Fort Hill in a blowout!
Southern has two good years and they think they have arrived, give me a break! Their head coach is an idiot, proof by making Fort Hill as their homecoming game.
I don't think the coach chooses the homecoming game. I thought that was more of a an administration decision, but perhaps I am mistaken.
As far as a feeling of arrival, I don't think anyone on the Southern side believes they have "arrived" nor that a dynasty has begun. There is a small window. I think they are just excited at the prospect of watching a competitive game. It may or may not turn out that way, but at least Southern has 'arrived" to the point of not having to cancel a game due to player safety concerns.
In order to Be the man you have to BEAT the man and it is understood they have not done that yet.

I don't quite understand how on one hand people whine and complain that Fort Hill can't get anyone in the area to play them and then when a team puts them on the schedule, they proceed to tell them how they do not belong on the same field.... But it's all good. It's what keeps the board interesting.

Although Southern has come a long way in the past few years and it is thought that this years senior team is supposed to be their best in quite some time...I don't think they can hang with FH. Like was discussed earlier, the Rams had trouble with much lesser teams so far this season. FH defense will take over early and I really don't see Southern doing much in the way of scoring.
Remember last year when the Rams came to Greenway with a challenge to Alco and it turned out to be a lopsided game. I expect much the same with the Hillians 48-6 with a running clock.
Don't get me wrong though, I'd like to see Southern do well... but not this time!

FH moved Capital Christian around like they were rearranging the lawn furniture - proving that in some cases size doesn't matter. If Southern has a little moxie and mobility along with their size the game could be interesting. To beat FH it usually it takes a fast team like Dunbar or a punishing team like Keyser was a few years back.

I don't quite understand how on one hand people whine and complain that Fort Hill can't get anyone in the area to play them and then when a team puts them on the schedule, they proceed to tell them how they do not belong on the same field.... But it's all good. It's what keeps the board interesting.
Because some people in Cumberland are just plain idiots. In my book, Southern gets win points for just being willing to play FH. At their size, I'd understand them refusing.

Anyway, this FH fan wants to see a good game between the red and whites.

Alco strong, I do not think anyone from Southern has implied that they have so called "arrived". The program is going back into the direction it once was and that is good for the area. No reason to attack the coach because of when a game is scheduled. By the way, is it true that Alco was Mt Ridge's homecoming game?

That's interesting, Southern has more students than Allegany. Dunbar is listed with only 322 students

Not sure where you got your list or what year it was but I am looking at

MPSSAA Enrollment Numbers 2018-19 (Grades 9-11) and its what they use to determine the classes.
It shows MR tops the list at 725 , FH at 617, Dunbar at 596, ALCO at 559 and Southern at 527. So yes, not a huge difference in the enrollment of all 5 schools. But , almost 200 difference in MR and Southern. In looking at that list, what stands out the most is Northern Garrett with 310. As a comparison, Clear Spring has 369. I think this speaks volumes to what a fantastic job Coach Phil Carr does every year to get his team ready to play area teams. He definitely gets the most out of his team and they always play hard.

https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Enrollment_Numbers_2018-19.pdf

714 vs. 679............not that much of a difference in size, but I agree that they get points for the willingness to play.

https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/publications/School Enrollment numbers.pdf

Not sure where you got your list or what year it was but I am looking at

MPSSAA Enrollment Numbers 2018-19 (Grades 9-11) and its what they use to determine the classes.
It shows MR tops the list at 725 , FH at 617, Dunbar at 596, ALCO at 559 and Southern at 527. So yes, not a huge difference in the enrollment of all 5 schools. But , almost 200 difference in MR and Southern. In looking at that list, what stands out the most is Northern Garrett with 310. As a comparison, Clear Spring has 369. I think this speaks volumes to what a fantastic job Coach Phil Carr does every year to get his team ready to play area teams. He definitely gets the most out of his team and they always play hard.

https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Enrollment_Numbers_2018-19.pdf
Thanks for the updated enrollment numbers.. It's pretty interesting to look at.

Hope I didn't discourage anyone with my post earlier from offering their score prediction on the game, I have no problem with someone predicting a lopsided victory if that's what you truly believe. My objection was to some that suggested it was ridiculous that Southern could think they had arrived and could compete. There is a difference between confidence and arrogance. FH fans given the past should be confident. But I am sure there are some believers on the other side that are confident in their team as well. It's what makes sports so great! Love to see some more predictions. Love to get a pulse on the community.
On a side note, looking at the enrollment list above, when I saw Dunbar at 596, it made me think. I know that the Baltimore City school population is quite transient, but I can't imagine they decreased by almost 200 kids in 2 short years. So can anyone tell me how Dunbar was in 2A just 2 years ago? Just curious as I had incorrectly assumed they were much closer to the 750 threshold.

Hope I didn't discourage anyone with my post earlier from offering their score prediction on the game, I have no problem with someone predicting a lopsided victory if that's what you truly believe. My objection was to some that suggested it was ridiculous that Southern could think they had arrived and could compete. There is a difference between confidence and arrogance. FH fans given the past should be confident. But I am sure there are some believers on the other side that are confident in their team as well. It's what makes sports so great! Love to see some more predictions. Love to get a pulse on the community.
On a side note, looking at the enrollment list above, when I saw Dunbar at 596, it made me think. I know that the Baltimore City school population is quite transient, but I can't imagine they decreased by almost 200 kids in 2 short years. So can anyone tell me how Dunbar was in 2A just 2 years ago? Just curious as I had incorrectly assumed they were much closer to the 750 threshold.
Parents and kids jump ship for a multitude of reasons. Playing time, D1 promises, grades, ect... I’m not positive what their enrollment numbers were a few years ago, but what sticks out to me in a similar situation is just a few years ago Douglass-B jumped up to 3A. They were the hot commodity at the time. With St Frances poaching kids from every which way (just an example) I’m sure some kids left to go there. Just so much moving around, it’s hard to pinpoint the exact reasoning. I’m not sure if declining population is cause, but it’s a possibility as well. They could be right back up there in 2A in a few years with some large 8th grade classes coming in.

Of note with the new enrollment numbers...Lackey will go all the way to 3A next year and Douglass PG bounces to 2A.

Enrollment numbers have nothing to do with sports. In Baltimore City their BOE shifts and changes their student enrollment numbers at schools every year for a multitude of reasons.

I think it’ll be interesting to see how wet the field is, who the refs (Chapman?) are and what size splits both OLs take.

I imagine Southern OL will line up foot to foot and try to run over FH. If they try to run laterally, with wide splits; they won’t score. May not get a 1st down.

I hope FH spreads Southern out. And has 2 yard splits vs the big, slow DL. If they do, they’ll score at least 6 TD’s.

If they do what I say, I predict FH wins 49-0. If they do it another way FH wins 35-14.

Hahahaha!! I’m kidding about doing it my way.

Of note with the new enrollment numbers...Lackey will go all the way to 3A next year and Douglass PG bounces to 2A.

Enrollment numbers have nothing to do with sports. In Baltimore City their BOE shifts and changes their student enrollment numbers at schools every year for a multitude of reasons.

I wouldn’t be surprised if those Lackey numbers are their 9-12th grade numbers as opposed to the 9-11 numbers based on their trends with having 520 9th and 10th graders last year and considering their primary feeder middle school only has a bit over 500 kids total. Westlake made a similar mistake a few cycles ago but quickly corrected it when they saw themselves in 4A.

Last edited:

Prediction:
FH 23 SHS 21
Not a bad prediction I would say...# 3 in fact did have 3 FG's to win but it was 16-9 rather than 23 to 21. Southern actually moved the ball through the air. Tough play on both sides but too many penalties.. especially "unsportmanlike". No need for those ever....and especially multiple ones. Still Southern has nothing to hang their head about .. they were beaten by an NFL caliber kicker. Hats off to that young man! Hope he goes all the way!

Didn’t listen to the game last night, but just read the article... a 54 yard FG!!!! Holy moly!!! Did it still have room, or barely make it???? That’s amazing either way! Hope that kid keeps a good head on his shoulders

Someone needs to clean up all these personal fouls tho! We keep bringing god into the (public school) FH football program, then maybe they should fear god and show respect for our opponents... just my 2 cents

Not a bad prediction I would say...# 3 in fact did have 3 FG's to win but it was 16-9 rather than 23 to 21. Southern actually moved the ball through the air. Tough play on both sides but too many penalties.. especially "unsportmanlike". No need for those ever....and especially multiple ones. Still Southern has nothing to hang their head about .. they were beaten by an NFL caliber kicker. Hats off to that young man! Hope he goes all the way!

First, congrats to Southern on a really solid performance last night.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your overall assessment that "they were beaten by an NFL caliber kicker."

Like Southern, FH is a team. Teams win as a team and lose as a team.

Yes, the "unsportsmanlike" penalties should not be happening, but it was such that helped lead to the Southern TD. Otherwise, it's a 16-3 score.

While DK is a tremendous asset to FH, he, alone, did not beat Southern last night.

While Southern's defense was stout for most of the night, so was FH's.

Keep in mind, too, Southern had a 32 yard FG...not too shabby for high school.

This game was Southern's to win. This group of seniors at Southern won the CAYFL championship four years ago - a league typically dominated by the Patriots, and a very good indicator of what will happen in high school.

To the FH faithful...much of what I've read on this board the past several years is that FH never has a close game, and, as a result, aren't prepared for close games in the playoffs. Well, FH has had two close games this year, and there are some posters who appear to be upset that FH is not winning by 3-4 TDs a game.

The coaches at FH know better than anyone the personnel they have. FH is currently 5-0. Again, not too shabby.

I will be the first to admit that there is "potentially" not a significant difference between Southern, Mountain Ridge and FH this year. However, until a local team knocks off FH, they are still the premier team in the area.

Last edited:
I didn’t know it was gonna show his personal profile.. if there’s any objections I’ll delete the post

The biggest stat of the game: FH 2 fumbles lost, Southern 0 turnovers. That is how you pull an upset, don't turn the ball over. Kudos to Southern for protecting the ball.

The fumbles by FH were monstous. One with 30 seconds left before halftime inside the Southern 20 that would have been at least an automatic FG and a 9-0 halftime lead.

The 2nd fumble gave Southern the ball at the FH 11 yard line. 3 plays later it was a Southern TD. It was the only time Southern got into the FH red zone the entire night.

Take away the penalties and turnovers and FH wins by 3 scores. But that is what FH does - gets flagged for penalties and fumbles.

The coaches directing the FH passing game should be fired. Horrible. Throw a 5 yard pass over the middle just once please. Just one time this year. Fart and the FH play caller jumps 10 feet.

Does anyone have the final numbers from the game? Total yards, penalties, etc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT