ADVERTISEMENT

Final MD State Football Poll

I am surprised to see Fort Hill got a top 15 spot at lucky 13. Not upset, but surprised. Only 5 public schools ahead of them. Both 2A finalists are well down the list.

I think FH finished 16 or 17 last year?

My bad they were 11th last year. Thought it was lower.

I'd have 1. Dematha 2. Gilman 3. Wise. I think Wise would beat Damascus fairly easily

This poll is a joke. He could have done a better job throwing darts at a board blindfolded. Teams 14-19 would put FH on a running clock.

That is definitely one opinion. I'm sure teams 14-19 could defeat Fort Hill. Almost no chance they would be running clocks.

Calpreps (which is just as realistic as either of our hypothetical, never-to-be-proven opinions) has the following:

Fort Hill over Sherwood by 7
McNamara over Fort Hill by 16
Old Mill over Fort Hill by 3
Fort Hill over Broadneck by 9
Fort Hill over Northwest by 1
QO over Fort Hill by 1

As I've said before, people on this board only see Fort Hill games so they don't have an accurate understanding of football across the state. The person who does this poll is clueless because evidently he doesn't factor in strength of schedule at all. They have FH ranked over Northwest, who lost to SV, Sherwood, QO and Wise. FH hasn't even played a Maryland school of that quality in probably 10 years. They're ranked above McNamara (losses to Gonzaga, DeMatha, Good Counsel). The poll doesn't even include E. Roosevelt who went 9-3 with losses to Riverdale Baptist and Wise (twice).

The person who does this poll is clueless because evidently he doesn't factor in strength of schedule at all. .

Steeeee-rike 1.

The Maryland High School Football State Poll, in its 26th year, is based on a statewide voting by sports reporters. Schools are ranked by points received.

I think it's safe for us to assume a collective of sports writers from across the state, who help compile this list, have seen lots of football.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Steeeee-rike 1.

The Maryland High School Football State Poll, in its 26th year, is based on a statewide voting by sports reporters. Schools are ranked by points received.

I think it's safe for us to assume a collective of sports writers from across the state, who help compile this list, have seen lots of football.

Whoever assembled this formula is clueless. Your explanation may actually make sense if all the reporters are voting for teams from where they live.

I have to agree with Boyz on this one. I am sure that most of the writers in that poll do not go out of the area to see games unless its playoff time. I think it is more on word of mouth than anything.

Do I think Fort Hill would have a tough time with 14-19, yes, do I think they would get the running clock put on them, probably not. In terms of publics, outside of Damascus and Wise, who I believe are head and shoulders above everyone else, I think any combo of publics in that Top 25 poll would make for a good game.

Old Mill NW QO beat FH by 21+...sorry. Calpreps is dead wrong on these and yes i do know that lol. I'm not buying the you don't know till they play on this one. That wouldn't be something to get ur panties in a bunch about either considering they're all 4A powers

Last edited:
I've made my case known on this for a few years now when this poll comes out each December. You cannot compare 1A schools to 4A schools to top tier private schools. They should do this poll as they do with All-State Teams. They need a 1A/2A poll and a 3A/4A poll. Those can be more realistic. If you want to compare FH to Old Mill, NW, QO, Wise, etc...then combine FH, Alco and half of Mountain Ridge to even the enrollments and lets see what happens on the field. In a scenario such as that with a level playing field Cumberland would dust all those teams 4 out of 5 years.

Completely agree ^^ which is why i said it'd be no shame in FH losing to said teams, and quite frankly believing that computer is ridiculous to me. I can understand FH people believing they can play and beat those team but if a neutral observer really thinks that they should pick another sport

It's obvious BlewBoyz knows nothing about football. LOL @ thinking 1 person does a poll. I am sure little boy blue never played a down of football in his life and wouldn't know the difference between a cover 2 and a pool cover. Every year he gets his panties in a bunch over this poll. The guys voting in this poll know much more about football and teams in the state but it doesnt fit his troll agenda.

Gonna disagree with FH dusting those schools though. Beating/winning is possible. Dusting them, hell no. Especially this years Wise, not happening

Gonna disagree with FH dusting those schools though. Beating/winning is possible. Dusting them, hell no. Especially this years Wise, not happening

You're probably right, especially about Wise on their good years...should rephrase that better. I meant beating a team 4 out of 5 years was a dusting, not a scoreboard dusting. I would pay good money to see this year's Wise play Gilman or DeMatha. On the flip side I don't see those teams currently ranked 14-19 putting a running clock on FH. Beaten yes, running clock no. And I also think FH could beat some of those schools as well on any given Friday night.

It's a shame we can't see these type of match ups given the playoff scenario. If you get beat by a team like Old Mill you get zero points, while another team in your playoff region beats Friends School and gets 5 win points plus 5 bonus points because they beat Fairfax Home School 5 times. Crazy.

Last edited:
Whoever assembled this formula is clueless. Your explanation may actually make sense if all the reporters are voting for teams from where they live.

It's not "my" explanation, it's the explanation that Sheldon Shealer (who compiles the voting) puts at the top of the list. Sorry, I just don't think it's accurate to consider Sheldon clueless. I also don't consider the computer as completely accurate, I realize this - but it is interesting to see the disparity between a person's opinion and a computer's formula. Nothing more or less.

Furthermore, I DONT buy that a 3A/4A school's starting 11 are automatically better than a 1A school's starting 11 on either side of the ball. I'm sure they could be, but not as a given.

The difference between these big schools vs little schools is more about the depth on the bench. I'm sorry, but I would put FH's starting defensive and offensive 11 up against those 14-19 schools and think they could match up pretty well. Fort Hill's best players are still the best players. Could they lose? Absolutely, I wouldn't think otherwise. Running clock? No way, not as a rule.

Year in and year out, those bigger schools may be more consistent with getting kids coming up off the bench. But if you took Fort Hill (or Allegany on a strong year) and put their best starting 11, everyone completely healthy, and pitted them against QO or Broadneck's starting 11...I just don't think the skill level would be that significantly different. Now, if Brown or Smith or Friend or any of the standouts get hurt and a sub has to come in...sure, that's where you may see a dropoff. Schools with a 40 man roster out of 1400 kids may have a few more standouts not playing. That's the difference in my book.

But this "our kids aren't good enough to play with bigger schools" crap? Bullspit. That's some Frankfort baloney. (Yes, their principal actually said that in the paper that Frankfort kids would get hurt playing against FH because they cant compete). If you are FH fan, or moreover a FH player...you don't think that way, and you never have.

But as Tripp (from the old Sunspot board) used to say...and even Meth has said..."it's your best 11 vs our best 11." Add in Fort Hill's excellent coaching staff, and I say we can be competitive with just about any public school in the state some of these years.

It's not..."your 800 kids vs our 1400 kids."

I only comment on the teams that I saw in person this year, and 14-19 and 22 would put FH on a running clock this year. There's a reason why FH doesn't play this caliber of team. I also don't buy into the 1A excuse. There are schools that serious about football and schools that are not serious about football. If 4A teams have so much of an advantage why did FH conveniently pick 4A Walter Johnson to beat two years in a row? There's a reason Walter Johnson was selected - because they don't field a good football team and FH knew they would win easily.

We can run our mouths on message boards all day. You can call me a hater all day. But the truth comes out when the college scouts look at the teams. They don't have any agenda but to win. The schools 14-19 are sending kids to D1 colleges every year. McNamara currently has 3 former players in the NFL. If FH could actually "dust" those teams why aren't their players getting recruited? What players have left FH and had good college careers?

I only comment on the teams that I saw in person this year, and 14-19 and 22 would put FH on a running clock this year. There's a reason why FH doesn't play this caliber of team. I also don't buy into the 1A excuse. There are schools that serious about football and schools that are not serious about football. If 4A teams have so much of an advantage why did FH conveniently pick 4A Walter Johnson to beat two years in a row? There's a reason Walter Johnson was selected - because they don't field a good football team and FH knew they would win easily.

We can run our mouths on message boards all day. You can call me a hater all day. But the truth comes out when the college scouts look at the teams. They don't have any agenda but to win. The schools 14-19 are sending kids to D1 colleges every year. McNamara currently has 3 former players in the NFL. If FH could actually "dust" those teams why aren't their players getting recruited? What players have left FH and had good college careers?

You really are clueless......You love to harp on individual talent, "so and so has 25 D1 recruits, that makes them better than Fort Hill" TEAMS win, not individuals.

Walter Johnson contacted FH about playing. They weren't "selected". It's not like Fort Hill gets calls every day from public schools wanting games. WJ hosted FH on their homecoming and knowing how well FH travels I'm sure were looking for a bigger gate than norm.

You have this delusion that the FH followers here are craving state recognition. Maybe one or two at the most, and you're one of those that likes to generalize, but the vast majority could care less.

probably the same amount as Allegany basketball players.

Boyz, the ultimate goal of scholastic football is not to create NFL players. There are a lot of steps that go into the process prior to then. However, the number of kids from Fort Hill who have gotten money to go to college, especially over the last 5 years, is fantastic. And continues to stay solid.

Location is part of the factor as well. If Fort Hill were in Columbia instead of Cumberland, they'd be getting just as much attention as other schools. And that's great that McNamara has several former players in the NFL. Fort Hill has many former players who are business owners, politicians, lawyers, doctors, former NFL players, former college all-americans, etc. They went on to college after football.

Yes, you are right we can all fling our opinions and expert analyses around all day long. I can say that Todd Appel would coach the Browns to a Superbowl win if given the job right now. And that's just as easily proven as your assertions to how Fort Hill would do against certain teams.

You say Fort Hill "selected" Walter Johnson because they knew it was an easy win. Likewise, you opine on issues that will never play out, because you can't be proven wrong. You want Fort Hill to play teams of other caliber so they will lose. It's just like saying Alabama should play NFL teams if they win too many SEC championships. It's not the winning team's job to make the losing team better. Move on to your next bone to gnaw, man.

Reactions: Waggle Pass

I have seen teams come here to play that we so talented and this and that yada yada yada.... they have so much speed they will do this and do that.
When the game is over the the rednecks cheated, that's the only way to sum it up.
Teams have come in here and got their ass beat because HARD WORK BEATS TALENT!!
GREAT COACHING BEATS EX-ATHLETES THAT CAN'T COACH!!!

I agree with blue on a lot of things but not on this one... Everyone seems to forget FH playing DeMatha and no running clocks were in effect.. In fact take away the fumble recovery for a touchdown and the big play on Dematha's opening position and the game was evenly played... But my main point is there were no running clocks... I think a lot of people have grown accustomed to selling these FH kids and program short bc of all the shying away from competiton by those who are in charge of scheduling at the school in recent years...

Last edited:
People are always complaining about Western Maryland not getting press or everybody down state dislikes Western Maryland but evidently there are some sports writers that think Fort Hill has a good program. Regardless of weather Fort Hill could take on those teams or not it is a huge display of respect to Fort Hill's program and the people of this area should say thank you for noticing and go on your merry way.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Boyz, the ultimate goal of scholastic football is not to create NFL players. There are a lot of steps that go into the process prior to then. However, the number of kids from Fort Hill who have gotten money to go to college, especially over the last 5 years, is fantastic. And continues to stay solid.

Location is part of the factor as well. If Fort Hill were in Columbia instead of Cumberland, they'd be getting just as much attention as other schools. And that's great that McNamara has several former players in the NFL. Fort Hill has many former players who are business owners, politicians, lawyers, doctors, former NFL players, former college all-americans, etc. They went on to college after football.

Yes, you are right we can all fling our opinions and expert analyses around all day long. I can say that Todd Appel would coach the Browns to a Superbowl win if given the job right now. And that's just as easily proven as your assertions to how Fort Hill would do against certain teams.

You say Fort Hill "selected" Walter Johnson because they knew it was an easy win. Likewise, you opine on issues that will never play out, because you can't be proven wrong. You want Fort Hill to play teams of other caliber so they will lose. It's just like saying Alabama should play NFL teams if they win too many SEC championships. It's not the winning team's job to make the losing team better. Move on to your next bone to gnaw, man.

Just for the record, I brought up McNamara just to illustrate how much talent they have. My commentary on Fort Hill is only in regards to the Top 20 list. I have said 100 times on here how hard the FH players and coaches work and that they and the community should be proud of the accomplishments. But yeah we have to "opine" about how FH would do against other teams on the top 20 list because they never play any teams on the list. If they would play a top level team every few years we could say, yeah they deserve to be #11.

I have seen teams come here to play that we so talented and this and that yada yada yada.... they have so much speed they will do this and do that.
When the game is over the the rednecks cheated, that's the only way to sum it up.
Teams have come in here and got their ass beat because HARD WORK BEATS TALENT!!
GREAT COACHING BEATS EX-ATHLETES THAT CAN'T COACH!!!

I've also commented on this several times over the years, the teams you bring in from downstate aren't very good. Of course you're going to beat the Capitol Christian, Walter Johnsons, Silver Oak, MATHS, etc.

Just for the record, I brought up McNamara just to illustrate how much talent they have. My commentary on Fort Hill is only in regards to the Top 20 list. I have said 100 times on here how hard the FH players and coaches work and that they and the community should be proud of the accomplishments. But yeah we have to "opine" about how FH would do against other teams on the top 20 list because they never play any teams on the list. If they would play a top level team every few years we could say, yeah they deserve to be #11.
I think I can speak for most sentinels when I say we'll take the dam trophy and you keep worrying about state rankings.

I agree with blue on a lot of things but not on this one... Everyone seems to forget FH playing DeMatha and no running clocks were in effect.. In fact take away the fumble recovery for a touchdown and the big play on Dematha's opening position and the game was evenly played... But my main point is there were no running clocks... I think a lot of people have grown accustomed to selling these FH kids and program short bc of all the shying away from competiton by those who are in charge of scheduling at the school in recent years...

I was at that game too, but you're talking about a game about 20 years ago. If they played this year, it would be a running clock in the first half.

I was at that game too, but you're talking about a game about 20 years ago. If they played this year, it would be a running clock in the first half.

I played in it and none of us felt like we were overmatched and although it was 20 years ago, I think we can agree that FH has remained fairly consistent over those 20 years.. At least I haven't noticed much drop off in the quality of the program, quality of their scheduling yes, but not the program... Although it is kind of hard to judge just how good they are b/c of their weak scheduling during the regular season and relatively weak competition in the playoffs.. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the mighty and powerful Dematha, which is the states gold standard most years didn't put FH on the clock and if they couldn't do it, I kind of find it hard to say teams 14-19 could do it... Broadneck, Old Mill, and Northwest are no Dematha.. FH has played with top tier teams from downstate including Dematha... And just because they're Dematha, Wise, or Damascus doesn't always equate to a running clock... Could it happen? sure... But I wouldn't emphatically state it...

Last edited:
IF THE MPSSAA ADOPTS THE PLAYOFF FORMAT THAT IS CURRENTLY ON THE TABLE WHERE TEAMS PLAY A 9 GAME REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE AND THE TOP 8 TEAMS IN EACH REGION GO TO A PLAYOFF, THEN I WILL PERSONALLY MAKE SURE DEMATHA, OLD MILL, ROOSEVELT, ETC. GET AN EMAIL EVERY DECEMBER ABOUT A POSSIBLE GAME WITH FORT HILL. Not sure some of you will ever get this. Which is why the ones who do not get it could never be an administrator. Especially one who second guesses a head coach that just won 3 straight state titles. And might I add is now working on a 4th, which has only been done once in the history of the state (Urbana). I'm sorry but that is absolutely amazing at any level.

FH is about winning a state championship, which means getting to the playoffs first. Not where a state poll ranks them or what other top rate Class 4A sympathizers think about them on a comparative level or what fans think in terms of paying to see a game/watch it on tape delay (sorry bigsavage, but I do hear ya and the schedule got better this year). The same process worked for Dunbar for a very long time. And it also put Dunbar up high in these state polls every year. Yet no one I am aware of called out the Poets for being in Class 1A and being ranked high in this state poll.

Too many posters here love or hate FH. FYI, love and hate are blind. These polls are great for message boards though. So I do enjoy the conversations and there are some valid points being made. Peace!

TDhelmick anything would have been an improvement over the previous years schedules. I know I give you guys a hard time over the scheduling and although it seems that some people take things said to a personal level, its never personal with me. I enjoy the conversations also and contrary to the way I may come off sometimes I do appreciate what you and everyone affiliated with the program does for the school and for the community... I tell you what, you get Bridgeport or Linganore on next years schedule and in a 2 to 5 year contract and I'll donate a $1000 to FH or to a charity of Coach Appels choice , but I'm pretty sure my money is safe ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: LHSlancerFAN

Let me first say that BoyznBlue has come around and has shown much more respect for the Sentinels in recent years, so I will give him props for that.

To say that Fort Hill never plays any team in the top 20 is simply not true. Yes, the DeMatha game was in 1996, and DeMatha won 30-12.

In recent years, Fort Hill split with MSJ in 2009 and 2010. MSJ is ranked #8 this year in the final rankings.

In 2009, Fort Hill beat MSJ 22-12. This was the same year FH split with Allegany - winning the first game 17-7 and losing the second game 35-14.

In 2010, Fort Hill lost to MSJ 10-7. This was the same year Martinsburg beat Fort Hill 42-10, and Fort Hill lost to Dunbar in the state semi-final game 20-14.

With the Sentinels winning three straight titles and having an overall record of 61-5 over the last five years, it doesn't make sense that MSJ would be that much improved to put a running clock on the Sentinels.

Two years ago, the now "3A" Douglass Ducks were 13-0 coming into the championship game. Fort Hill beat the Ducks 25-0. Last year, the now "3A" Ducks had only given up 60+ points all year. Fort Hill put 40 on them.

I bring the previous up because it shows, once again, that Fort Hill is a consistent top-tier program in MD. Are there teams in the top 20 that will and/or could beat the Sentinels? Yes, but there would not be a running clock.

There have been some very, very athletic players play at Greenway during my almost 60 years, and most of the time, Fort Hill beats much more athletic players because Fort Hill is well-coached and plays as a team.

I've often times thought, I wonder what the Fort Hill coaching staff would do with some of the talent that has played at Greenway over the years.

Fort Hill football is a program. Sure, there are occasionally teams that have good years (Brunswick, Perryville, etc.), but year in and year out, Fort Hill is consistently one of the better teams in Maryland.

Last edited:
Given the circumstances of the regional playoff system this year's FH schedule was a very good schedule regardless of what people up here think about SHHS and Sherando. Don't forget that Curley was on it before the weather interfered and not anyone I heard from down state was giving FH a shot that week to win. So what that this team or that team didn't have a better record, that does not diminish what was accomplished. The Keyser, Sherando and both Alco games were tough battles. The SHHS game was not out of reach until late in the 3rd and SHHS still put points up. As I said it before, if Alco played FH's schedule this year they may not have made the playoffs or it would have been a nailbiter getting in at the 4 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT