ADVERTISEMENT

Final MD State Football Poll

I've also commented on this several times over the years, the teams you bring in from downstate aren't very good. Of course you're going to beat the Capitol Christian, Walter Johnsons, Silver Oak, MATHS, etc.
There is not 8 Public schools in the state that would of beat this FH team, last years FH team or the 2013 team.
I am also surprised that they were so high in the poll but still don't believe that many of these teams would beat FH
there's not 8 coaches Total in the state that Todd Appel would not out coach.
I'm not a FH homer, I root for our local teams,when I think the coaching has been bad,I have no problem saying it, in fact I have many times. Ask the coach before Appel

I played in it and none of us felt like we were overmatched and although it was 20 years ago, I think we can agree that FH has remained fairly consistent over those 20 years.. At least I haven't noticed much drop off in the quality of the program, quality of their scheduling yes, but not the program... Although it is kind of hard to judge just how good they are b/c of their weak scheduling during the regular season and relatively weak competition in the playoffs.. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the mighty and powerful Dematha, which is the states gold standard most years didn't put FH on the clock and if they couldn't do it, I kind of find it hard to say teams 14-19 could do it... Broadneck, Old Mill, and Northwest are no Dematha.. FH has played with top tier teams from downstate including Dematha... And just because they're Dematha, Wise, or Damascus doesn't always equate to a running clock... Could it happen? sure... But I wouldn't emphatically state it...

I can "emphatically state it" because I see those teams on a regular basis. You can't compare the 1996 DeMatha team to this year's DeMatha's team because (if you saw the first 3 games) we're playing a national schedule now. FH hasn't played a top tier downstate team in a very long time. 14-19 would definitely put FH on a running clock. Wise has four D1 players on this year's roster. FH is not going to be able to run the ball on them. If you saw McNamara play this year you would understand.

There is not 8 Public schools in the state that would of beat this FH team, last years FH team or the 2013 team.
I am also surprised that they were so high in the poll but still don't believe that many of these teams would beat FH
there's not 8 coaches Total in the state that Todd Appel would not out coach.
I'm not a FH homer, I root for our local teams,when I think the coaching has been bad,I have no problem saying it, in fact I have many times. Ask the coach before Appel

FH would finish no higher than 6th in just the 4A South region. Behind Wise, DuVal, Suitland, E Roosevelt and Bowie. These teams play a "grudge match" game against each other every other week during the season. They don't have Silver Oak's, Walter Johnson's and Capitol Christian's where they can rest their starters in the second half. Imagine playing Alco every other week. You guys saw DuVal this year in a scrimmage and only scored one TD (yeah, I know you say you only played the second team). 4A East is also a hornet's nest and I haven't mentioned Moco at all.

Let me first say that BoyznBlue has come around and has shown much more respect for the Sentinels in recent years, so I will give him props for that.

To say that Fort Hill never plays any team in the top 20 is simply not true. Yes, the DeMatha game was in 1996, and DeMatha won 30-12.

In recent years, Fort Hill split with MSJ in 2009 and 2010. MSJ is ranked #8 this year in the final rankings.

In 2009, Fort Hill beat MSJ 22-12. This was the same year FH split with Allegany - winning the first game 17-7 and losing the second game 35-14.

In 2010, Fort Hill lost to MSJ 10-7. This was the same year Martinsburg beat Fort Hill 42-10, and Fort Hill lost to Dunbar in the state semi-final game 20-14.

With the Sentinels winning three straight titles and having an overall record of 61-5 over the last five years, it doesn't make sense that MSJ would be that much improved to put a running clock on the Sentinels.

Two years ago, the now "3A" Douglass Ducks were 13-0 coming into the championship game. Fort Hill beat the Ducks 25-0. Last year, the now "3A" Ducks had only given up 60+ points all year. Fort Hill put 40 on them.

I bring the previous up because it shows, once again, that Fort Hill is a consistent top-tier program in MD. Are there teams in the top 20 that will and/or could beat the Sentinels? Yes, but there would not be a running clock.

Fort Hill football is a program. Sure, there are occasionally teams that have good years (Brunswick, Perryville, etc.), but year in and year out, Fort Hill is consistently one of the better teams in Maryland.

Actually, this is kind of confirming what I said. I said FH hasn't beaten a good Maryland team in 7 years. When you begin your comments by discussing a game in 2009 it's making my point. I can't give you the Douglass Ducks as a good team, even at 13-0. Boonsboro was undefeated for most of this season so that shows you the record rarely tells the story.

I've always expressed respect for both city schools. I just don't sugarcoat the truth. Cumberland has the two best 1A teams in the state and I don't even think it's close. At the current state of 1A FH can run off at least 6 titles in a row.

I can "emphatically state it" because I see those teams on a regular basis. You can't compare the 1996 DeMatha team to this year's DeMatha's team because (if you saw the first 3 games) we're playing a national schedule now. FH hasn't played a top tier downstate team in a very long time. 14-19 would definitely put FH on a running clock. Wise has four D1 players on this year's roster. FH is not going to be able to run the ball on them. If you saw McNamara play this year you would understand.

I'm not saying FH could play with DeMatha or wise this year... I'm using the 1996 DeMatha game as a barometer... I'm saying Northwest, Old Mill, and Broadneck are NO DeMatha 1996 or 2016 and if DeMatha didnt put FH on the clock I doubt Old Mill and Broadneck could do it whether it was in 96 06 2016 or 2026.... I'm not saying this year's Dematha or Wise couldn't do it... I'm saying I doubt 14 through 19 could do it when they don't even come close to Dematha 1996 or 2016 15 or whatever... My focus is on your assertion that teams 14-19 could do it. I'm not talking about this year's Dematha, Wise or Gilman...

Last edited:
Cumberland has the two best 1A teams in the state and I don't even think it's close. At the current state of 1A FH can run off at least 6 titles in a row.

The current state of 1A? As if it's better now then when Dunbar beat Havre de Grace to be 1A king? Or like the last time Alco one a title a decade ago by beating Forestville and Snow Hill? You remember Snow Hill. Ben Tate and a bunch of pop warner talent. How do you think Alco racked up 8 titles to begin with while FH was most always trying to fight through a higher classification that included 5 games against Dunbar for the title. I'm not ragging on Alco trust me because now FH finally gets to live and succeed in that world. But 1A has always been 1A dumbarse.

NEWSFLASH: None of the 1A champions since 1974 could beat Wise. LOL what a FH hating tool you are.

The current state of 1A? As if it's better now then when Dunbar beat Havre de Grace to be 1A king? Or like the last time Alco one a title a decade ago by beating Forestville and Snow Hill? You remember Snow Hill. Ben Tate and a bunch of pop warner talent. How do you think Alco racked up 8 titles to begin with while FH was most always trying to fight through a higher classification that included 5 games against Dunbar for the title. I'm not ragging on Alco trust me because now FH finally gets to live and succeed in that world. But 1A has always been 1A dumbarse.

NEWSFLASH: None of the 1A champions since 1974 could beat Wise. LOL what a FH hating tool you are.

Funny you mention about 1A champions since '74. In the early 90's when Wilde Lake won three in a row, one of them was when they were 1A and they were ranked number 1 in the state poll that year! I mean how could that be??? If they were 1A at the time obviously they didn't play anybody right??

Reactions: towpath94
Just got one thing to say, once again for a team that all the so called "experts" said, "Fort Hill will be lucky to win 5 games this season, maybe 6", these " experts " knew the schedule before making comments like this. Then people are gonna compare the success of this team to the rest of the state, did these same people watch the other state championships? From my point of view, couple of them games were pretty lopsided, however I don't see alot comments on other schedules. At the end of day and I think I speak for a good many people, we as a community are very proud of our 5 teams here in Western Maryland, make that 6, including Keyser. Rather than beat 'em up over schedules, and ragging on their place in the final polls let us remember we're talking about 15,16,17 year old boys soon to be men. Let us continue to pray to The Good Lord, they become productive members of society. With that said, "Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night!"

FH would finish no higher than 6th in just the 4A South region. Behind Wise, DuVal, Suitland, E Roosevelt and Bowie. These teams play a "grudge match" game against each other every other week during the season. They don't have Silver Oak's, Walter Johnson's and Capitol Christian's where they can rest their starters in the second half. Imagine playing Alco every other week. You guys saw DuVal this year in a scrimmage and only scored one TD (yeah, I know you say you only played the second team). 4A East is also a hornet's nest and I haven't mentioned Moco at all.
I love watching posters on here live vicariously through other teams because your team can't get the job done.

Last edited:
Actually, you missed most of what I said, Boyz.

As recent as 2009 and 2010, Fort Hill and MSJ split in two relatively close games. MSJ is ranked #8 this year, and Fort Hill #13. Are you really saying there is that much of a difference in MSJ and FH since 2010 that MSJ would put a running clock on FH, or are you just saying the teams ranked 14-19 would?

If the former is true, I will call it what it is...

I love watching posters on here live vicariously through other teams because your team can't get the job done.

all that great football down state and all those all time great teams that are just on another level and BlewBoyz doesnt miss a FH game. His words and actions contradict each other. Then again when you are trolling those things happen. Only a fool or a chili dog nerd that has never played a down of football gets beaten like a speed bag and still thinks he is "winning" an argument about a subject that he knows nothing about.

all that great football down state and all those all time great teams that are just on another level and BlewBoyz doesnt miss a FH game. His words and actions contradict each other. Then again when you are trolling those things happen. Only a fool or a chili dog nerd that has never played a down of football gets beaten like a speed bag and still thinks he is "winning" an argument about a subject that he knows nothing about.

I'll be the first to admit I enjoy games at Greenway. I've been going to games there since I was a child. This year I was at Homecoming and the Forestville game, and I only attended that one to take photographs.

Allegany didn't rack up 8 titles in 1A 1988, '89 & '91 were 2A titles, '78, '80, '83 were Class "B", 2001 & 2005 were the only 1A titles, so FH wasn't always fighting through a higher classification than Alco.

Actually, you missed most of what I said, Boyz.

As recent as 2009 and 2010, Fort Hill and MSJ split in two relatively close games. MSJ is ranked #8 this year, and Fort Hill #13. Are you really saying there is that much of a difference in MSJ and FH since 2010 that MSJ would put a running clock on FH, or are you just saying the teams ranked 14-19 would?

If the former is true, I will call it what it is...

I've been covering high school sports for various periodicals for over ten years. I don't cover Baltimore or the Eastern Shore so I very rarely comment on those teams. If you say MSJ is a good team I won't argue with you. But even assuming that, FH's last win over a good Maryland team was in 2009. It's almost 2016!

If you notice, I said that teams 14-19 would definitely put FH on a running clock. I saw every one of those teams this year. I'm not commenting on teams I didn't see personally. FH is not going to run the ball consistently on those teams and they're absolutely not going to pass the ball on them. FH is clearly the best 1A team in the state, when you see their running attack wear down HDG, they are playing against a smallish not very physical line. As I said before, there's a reason why you don't play good Maryland schools. Todd H admits they schedule for the state championship, and if that's your goal, it's a great strategy. But when they list the players who receive college scholarships you'll see who the scouts say are the best teams.

2 teams have ever put Fort Hill on a running clock. 1 of those was the 2003 Martinsburg team that would easily defeat 14-19 on this year's state poll. In 280 games since 1990 (I think that's the year the running clock was put in) - and some of the great talent Fort Hill has played in 25 years...2 teams have ever been 5 touchdowns better than Fort Hill.

And you guarantee that the 5 teams immediately following Fort hill in an opinion poll are all at least 5 touchdowns better than Fort hill this year? You said definitely, without a doubt, no way they possibly would not...score 5 more touchdowns than Fort Hill?

It's damn near statistically impossible, let alone, theoretically ridiculous.

Let me first say that BoyznBlue has come around and has shown much more respect for the Sentinels in recent years, so I will give him props for that.

To say that Fort Hill never plays any team in the top 20 is simply not true. Yes, the DeMatha game was in 1996, and DeMatha won 30-12.

In recent years, Fort Hill split with MSJ in 2009 and 2010. MSJ is ranked #8 this year in the final rankings.

In 2009, Fort Hill beat MSJ 22-12. This was the same year FH split with Allegany - winning the first game 17-7 and losing the second game 35-14.

In 2010, Fort Hill lost to MSJ 10-7. This was the same year Martinsburg beat Fort Hill 42-10, and Fort Hill lost to Dunbar in the state semi-final game 20-14.

With the Sentinels winning three straight titles and having an overall record of 61-5 over the last five years, it doesn't make sense that MSJ would be that much improved to put a running clock on the Sentinels.

MSJ is a totally different team then they were back then. They've put a bunch more money into football. They were AWFUL when FH played them (still a big win for FH but they were bad).

MSJ was 5-14 in those two seasons and didn't win a game in the MIAA A Conference. They didn't have a game within one score in conference those two years. In 2009 they scored a total of 20 points in conference play. You take away a TD by MSJ's starters on McDonogh's 3rd string and MSJ was shut out in 4 of 5 conference games in 2009. Of their 5 wins, 2 were over Edmondson and 1 was over FH.

MSJ now would have been the equivalent of FH playing McDonogh or Good Counsel in 2009-10. They are that much better. MSJ in 2009-10 was the worst MIAA A team I've ever seen.

2 teams have ever put Fort Hill on a running clock. 1 of those was the 2003 Martinsburg team that would easily defeat 14-19 on this year's state poll. In 280 games since 1990 (I think that's the year the running clock was put in) - and some of the great talent Fort Hill has played in 25 years...2 teams have ever been 5 touchdowns better than Fort Hill.

And you guarantee that the 5 teams immediately following Fort hill in an opinion poll are all at least 5 touchdowns better than Fort hill this year? You said definitely, without a doubt, no way they possibly would not...score 5 more touchdowns than Fort Hill?

It's damn near statistically impossible, let alone, theoretically ridiculous.

Oh of course all those teams are 5 td's better than FH, he's seen them all play. :rolleyes:

eagle...do you agree with Boyz' assertion that numbers 14-19 in this year's final poll are all at least 5 TDs better than Fort Hill?

FHHSAHS. you have to realize that Boyz knows nothing about what he is talking about. He has always been anti Fort Hill and will remain so until his sorry a$$ is in the grave. Just read his last post. In one sentence he says that he doesn't see the Baltimore teams, and in another he says that he personally saw teams 14-19. I have to ask which is it? Another give away is where he implies that scouts follow certain teams. If this were true, maybe he can explain how the Frankfort kids got their rides, or better yet, the big lineman from Clear Spring.

This guy is a joke, it took him all year to figure out that he watched FH's twos against Duval's ones. That should have told you something.

Oh, and BTW, correcting a score on Maxpreps isn't considered as writing for them.

MSJ is a totally different team then they were back then. They've put a bunch more money into football. They were AWFUL when FH played them (still a big win for FH but they were bad).

MSJ was 5-14 in those two seasons and didn't win a game in the MIAA A Conference. They didn't have a game within one score in conference those two years. In 2009 they scored a total of 20 points in conference play. You take away a TD by MSJ's starters on McDonogh's 3rd string and MSJ was shut out in 4 of 5 conference games in 2009. Of their 5 wins, 2 were over Edmondson and 1 was over FH.

MSJ now would have been the equivalent of FH playing McDonogh or Good Counsel in 2009-10. They are that much better. MSJ in 2009-10 was the worst MIAA A team I've ever seen.

Of course, I wouldn't expect any less comment from you, eagle.

The entire MIAA is now made up of god-like teams...MSJ...not so much in 2009 and 2010 - got it!

If MSJ was not that good in 2009 and 2010, that tells me one thing - MSJ is not a program. The team occasionally gets good players.

If you think in any way, shape, or form that MSJ would put a running clock on this year's FH team, I have a bridge to sell you going across the C&O Canal at Spring Gap, MD.

In reality, the disparity between top 20 teams in MD is not that great.

Would DeMatha and Gilman beat FH by 3-4 touchdowns? Most likely. MSJ - no way.

Yes, I do remember, eagle, when you thought the Douglass Ducks would handle FH, and you discredited FH for going for two in a high scoring game. All the while, there were teams scoring 60+ and going for two, and you did not call them out. Well, the reality is the city schools typically always go for two, regardless of the score of the game, because they have no kicker. Is that FH's fault? No, it is not. It is poor coaching from my perspective. FH consistently goes for one, so, occasionally it only makes sense to go for two because one never knows when the team might be forced to do so.

Your opinion on how good MSJ is now when contrasted with 2010 is meaningless to me. Keep in mind, too, FH is 40-1 over the last three years.

Last edited:
eagle...do you agree with Boyz' assertion that numbers 14-19 in this year's final poll are all at least 5 TDs better than Fort Hill?
They'd all be favored over FH by varying amounts but I don't think any are 5 TDs better. FH was the best 1A or 2A team this year and could certainly hang with about 90% of 3A/4A and the privates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT