ADVERTISEMENT

FH versus Sherando moves to 8:00 Friday night

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
There was a meeting at the BOE today to decide who would play a football game Friday night. It was determined that Alco will play Northern at 4:00 on Friday and FH will play Sherando at 8:00 pm on Friday.

Just to rehash my sentiments...there really should not have been a decision to be made. Two teams share a stadium and the only question is whose turn is it to play the extra Saturday? It's about as illogical as trying to decide who has the home side at homecoming. There is no decision to be made there, the two teams alternate. What is something really simple has been turned into a difficult task that wasted time and made Cumberland athletics look like a 3 ring circus to other schools. We have followed the same policy for 70 years, why it would change now makes zero sense.

Now the next time someone has to play the extra Saturday will turn into another time waster because there is still no policy. Expect more 4:00 and 8:00 Friday games I guess.

Next...Geez!

Last edited:
Reactions: Harleydeuce
I know most games are around two hours give or take a half an hour but seems to me putting one game at 4 and the other at 8 is a recipe for something coming up that will cause an issue. I agree Todd, if it has always been the teams alternate then I don't understand why this was an issue to begin with. Hopefully both games are great and Cumberland fans get to enjoy an afternoon/evening of great high school football.

I have questions maybe someone can answer
A. Is the first game worth coming early to watch?
B. will first game watchers be asked to leave and repay to watch the second game?
Thank you

I have questions maybe someone can answer
A. Is the first game worth coming early to watch?
B. will first game watchers be asked to leave and repay to watch the second game?
Thank you

A. It may have a bearing on Northern making the playoffs. I don't suspect Northern will be the same team they were last year personnel wise, but Phil Carr does a nice job coaching with the small numbers. And I hear the numbers are even much smaller now.

B. This is the chaos that will be created. I suspect (but don't know) that they will clear the stadium and recharge to get back in for FH game. Otherwise you run into a problem of sharing the gate and I know FH won't go for that one with Sherando coming here. Plus you have to figure out when Sherando can have access to the visitors locker room, etc. Details will be released long before game week gets here.

I won't be surprised if the Alco/Northern game gets bumped to Saturday for several reasons including the working parents for both teams who want to be here. Especially when you consider the stadium is open Saturday.

Last edited:
This is absolutely crazy. Would Alco get a bigger gate for a Friday 4pm game or a Saturday afternoon/evening game? Seems like a very tight window to get everything done in between games.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Everyone knows this whole thing was created because neither the Alco AD nor the principal wanted to work on saturday for obvious reasons glug, glug. And then there is a county AD who is friends with the principal that just said ok with no plausible explanation as to why this is the 4th time in a row FH has to play the extra Saturday. Mind boggling. Yes now we have to fight over this crap as to who plays Saturday every year when the simple answer is just alternate like always. But that's not good enough for the good ole boys. I mean if the new Alco head coach wants to argue like Coach Appel that his team stands a better chance of winning on Friday then I could buy that. But not with Northern, who is NOT a local team. They have no voice in Cumberland period other than to get bounced in the opening round of the playoffs every year with a running clock.

Bottom line is Calhoun's ego took a back seat to plain logic by the BOE yet again.

Reactions: towpath94
no doubt this will just make Calhoun push for the realignment even harder. 2 things you never do to him. 1 beat him in something or 2 take his drink away from him. I'm sure him and his butt buddies have a plan b ready that was orchestrated on the plane from Seattle. If you cant beat them on the field, design a plan to get back at them in other ways is the code they live by.

Please explain to me Brian1974 how Northern is not a local team? They are approximately 30 minutes from the stadium.

Do I really need to answer that kkram? You know what I meant. They don't play FH. So there is no way they are going to get field priority in Cumberland as a local team, which is what some Alco folks tried to claim. If you want to define local as how far that's fine. Then Clear Spring is also local. I'm defining local as they play the local teams. But I have no problem using distance. FH plays South Hagerstown which is about 15 minutes further. But I don't consider them local either. Nor should they get field priority here.

I do know that both Keyser and Mountain Ridge get guaranteed Friday nights at the stadium barring a rare circumstance. I think MR played here one Saturday a while back but that would never happen now. Maybe the word local was not the right term. A better term would have been a shared opponent. I have no problems giving a shared opponent field priority in Cumberland. I have said before that if Northern and Southern are considered local priority teams but neither play FH, then FH will always be stuck playing Saturday and that's not a fair system. Luckily the BOE recognize it too. Which is why Northern will now be playing Friday at 4:00.

Last edited:
Ok, was just wondering, appreciate the clarification. Living in Garrett County and both high schools having their own fields, we just don't have that problem. Again, I agree with just about everyone elses' opinion on a rotation basis. It truly can n ot be that hard to figure out. One year Alco plays 3 home games on Friday nights / 2 Saturday games. Next year Fort hill plays 3 Friday night games / 2 Saturday games. Heck I'm a hillbliiy and I just up the Cumberland schools football schedules forever!!

There was a meeting at the BOE today to decide who would play a football game Friday night. It was determined that Alco will play Northern at 4:00 on Friday and FH will play Sherando at 8:00 pm on Friday.

Just to rehash my sentiments...there really should not have been a decision to be made. Two teams share a stadium and the only question is whose turn is it to play the extra Saturday? It's about as illogical as trying to decide who has the home side at homecoming. There is no decision to be made there, the two teams alternate. What is something really simple has been turned into a difficult task that wasted time and made Cumberland athletics look like a 3 ring circus to other schools. We have followed the same policy for 70 years, why it would change now makes zero sense.

Now the next time someone has to play the extra Saturday will turn into another time waster because there is still no policy. Expect more 4:00 and 8:00 Friday games I guess.

Next...Geez!

Hey.... Looks like time for a great crowd. Folks should get to see both schools play for the price of one admission. Lots of pizza to be sold. Lots of football to be played. Northern is local and just because it is big bad Sherando it shouldn't mean anything.... it's high school football after all.

Except that the Northern game will draw less than 500 people. The Sherando game will attract close to 5000. I can't see any gate sharing. It is about money.

Except that the Northern game will draw less than 500 people. The Sherando game will attract close to 5000. I can't see any gate sharing. It is about money.

Probably very true but this is high school football - and some of the attractiveness is unique to Cumberland in many ways. One of those ways is a very special FH football team that can run the table again. The less controversy the better right now. Play in a parking lot with flashlights if need be and let's get this next glorious season for FH under way.

The best thing would to clear the stadium. You have to give season ticket holders their seats.

A. It may have a bearing on Northern making the playoffs. I don't suspect Northern will be the same team they were last year personnel wise, but Phil Carr does a nice job coaching with the small numbers. And I hear the numbers are even much smaller now.

B. This is the chaos that will be created. I suspect (but don't know) that they will clear the stadium and recharge to get back in for FH game. Otherwise you run into a problem of sharing the gate and I know FH won't go for that one with Sherando coming here. Plus you have to figure out when Sherando can have access to the visitors locker room, etc. Details will be released long before game week gets here.

I won't be surprised if the Alco/Northern game gets bumped to Saturday for several reasons including the working parents for both teams who want to be here. Especially when you consider the stadium is open Saturday.
Thank you

Hey.... Looks like time for a great crowd. Folks should get to see both schools play for the price of one admission. Lots of pizza to be sold. Lots of football to be played. Northern is local and just because it is big bad Sherando it shouldn't mean anything.... it's high school football after all.
Big bad? Lol pulease very very young and normal this year next year maybe a little better team.

The best thing would to clear the stadium. You have to give season ticket holders their seats.
Well, I have posted before how I feel about season tickets. But be that as it may.... seems easier for folks that have season tickets can simply show up and the earlier folks can just get a different seat. But to clear the entire stadium, students and all, looks to me like a bigger mess - and all for the reason of the second game not sharing the gate. But, you know.... whatever.

I realize the preference is always Friday night games opposed to Saturday's, but I wonder what the reasoning for Alco choosing a 4:00 Friday game opposed to Saturday? Seems like more of a challenge to get fans in the seats for a decent area, regional game. Also messes with Principle's Friday "happy hour".

Why would FH want to share their biggest gate that makes $25,000 with a team who makes $1,500 at their gate? All because Alco doesnt want to play Saturday and the fact some fans won't like it. That makes no sense.

The Alco game will be over by 6:30, you clear the stadium and reopen gates at 7:00. Or Alco could just play Saturday like we have done for 70 years. I really have not been able to figure out why Alco wants to play Friday at 4:00 instead of Saturday other than to be difficult. Calhoun is an self absorbed idiotic ahole who doesn't want to work on Sat is the only answer I come up with.​

Why would FH want to share their biggest gate that makes $25,000 with a team who makes $1,500 at their gate? All because Alco doesnt want to play Saturday and the fact some fans won't like it. That makes no sense.

The Alco game will be over by 6:30, you clear the stadium and reopen gates at 7:00. Or Alco could just play Saturday like we have done for 70 years. I really have not been able to figure out why Alco wants to play Friday at 4:00 instead of Saturday other than to be difficult. Calhoun is an self absorbed idiotic ahole who doesn't want to work on Sat is the only answer I come up with.​
I think 'somebody' is/was looking to share the gate. When in doubt - follow the money!!

Wow! This is getting into the funny range that I was hoping to avoid. Fact: the BOE determined that two local schools play Friday. Should have been the end of it. Then, all this other stuff about number of Friday games, size of the gate and the Saturday party habits of public figures gets slapped about.

Allegany then becomes generous and decides to play early so FH can have its Friday game. Guess what the answer to that is? Push the other school's students out the door - clubs and riot gear maybe because 'Alco students don't matter' - instead, FH must have that full gate along with the oldsters reserved seats they don't always sit in.

The entire thing is transparent: To hell with two local schools (and Alco being generous) - you have Sherando coming to town and FH wants the grubby reserved seats and the gate. Forget its supposed to be all about the students because mighty FH is playing an out-of-towner.

Allegany fights to the end to play Friday night and force FH to play the eXtra Sat for the 4th time in a row. The BOE steps in and says no. Look up generous in the dictionary again. How dare somebody pay twice to see two games. What an outrage. Seriously? Everything must be free mentality. Let the kids do more fundraisers to get money they need while we fans just watch for free. Disgraceful someone would complain about that. Why dont you try helping the students out and fork over the measly $6 entry fee to see one game instead of complaining about it.

Are you seriously complaining about having to pay to see two games? Wow.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Allegany fights to the end to play Friday night and force FH to play the eXtra Sat for the 4th time in a row. The BOE steps in and says no. Look up generous in the dictionary again. How dare somebody pay twice to see two games. What an outrage. Seriously? Everything must be free mentality. Let the kids do more fundraisers to get money they need while we fans just watch for free. Disgraceful someone would complain about that. Why dont you try helping the students out and fork over the measly $6 entry fee to see one game instead of complaining about it.

Are you seriously complaining about having to pay to see two games? Wow.

Boo frickin' Hoo! FH plays an extra Saturday! Wowzers! Oh the pain and suffering of it all that the BOE decided that two local schools - count 'em - one... two... should get priority. How about you look up 'local' in your dictionary - do it slowly so you get each letter right. And no! students who attend the first game - and there will be some from both schools (or all three schools) - should not have to hustled out of the gate just because FH demands to play Friday and get the entire gate. Pushing students out of the stands because you don't give a damn for the few that might be there... well, that's the epitome of arrogance and greed. Play Saturday.

If you want me to do something maybe I will volunteer as a lifeguard in your FH safezone to keep you guys from drowning in your own bullsh*t.

Last edited:
The B.O.E. should have made the Alco-Northern game Saturday. Period.

How I missed these heated debates :)

The BOE said to remind you, Enjoy your 4:00 game. Then Clear the stadium please for the varsity game. Thankfully the BOE didn't let Calhoun do whatever he wanted after 70 years of alternating.

Was this whole issue created due to a few staff having WVU tickets for Saturday? Yes their priorities are straight!?

How I missed these heated debates :)

The BOE said to remind you, Enjoy your 4:00 game. Then Clear the stadium please for the varsity game. Thankfully the BOE didn't let Calhoun do whatever he wanted after 70 years of alternating.

Yes, all in good fun. Thought of a few lines I'll use again down the road.... Though, to be sure, I am looking forward to FH running the table again - that is... while they have the talent - being high school and all . And, as always, I would like to see many more students at the games - being high school and all. What a wonderful thing to have students get to sit in the stands and watch an afternoon and evening of football... Oh, that's right they are to be run off.

You know, teachers and administrators for Allegany County are some of the better paid in the state, by comparison. Strange though that regular families are some of the poorer in the state. Maybe we should try to do more for the kids instead of running them out of the stands and down the street to possibly get their first free hit of some drug or other.

So there are people that seriously thought that you'd only have to pay once? Maybe they've been following around Calhoun.

This whole issue has never really been a FH-Alco thing so to take it there is dragging it directly into the zone no one wanted it to be in.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
So your beef with this is that they will clear the stands and cause students to have to pay twice? And you think FH shouldn't have their turn at playing on Friday?

The 10 students who plan to see both games shouldn't have a problem getting a few extra dollars from Mom and Dad to attend both.

It actually hurts students more if you ask fans in attendance to only pay one fee to see both home games. Athletics for these same students costs money and most of those budgets struggle to stay out of the red. Keep this in mind when supporting either team. The cost of admission to these events is on the very low end. You can drop $40 at the movie theatre with two kids. It's funny how some people rationalize the cost of certain things. I've been told by many admins downstate that we do not charge near enough. No need to go that route, but certainly asking people to pay $3 to $6 for each game is not a stretch.

students who attend the first game - and there will be some from both schools (or all three schools) - should not have to hustled out of the gate just because FH demands to play Friday and get the entire gate.

It's not a tournament. It's two separate games. Two separate gates. It's so ridiculously easy to comprehend, I feel dumber having to even respond to you.

What about the Alco kids who can't afford transportation to the Stadium? Will they be permitted to ride the Team bus to the game? Just wondering.

Two separate games involving two separate teams that share the same stadium. I really don't understand why there would be an issue with charging admission for both. Am I missing something here?

It actually hurts students more if you ask fans in attendance to only pay one fee to see both home games. Athletics for these same students costs money and most of those budgets struggle to stay out of the red. Keep this in mind when supporting either team. The cost of admission to these events is on the very low end. You can drop $40 at the movie theatre with two kids. It's funny how some people rationalize the cost of certain things. I've been told by many admins downstate that we do not charge near enough. No need to go that route, but certainly asking people to pay $3 to $6 for each game is not a stretch.

Ah, it's the old movie theater ruse. How many families in Allegany county can actually afford dropping $40 on a movie these days? Or is it that the people you schmooze with don't fit into what would be the average income in the county.

To me, the admins downstate can cram it as far as I am concerned. When have they ever given Western Maryland anything but the back of their hand. Montgomery County personal income is more than double Allegany County. In fact, Allegany County is near the bottom in the state in personal income. So, don't preach to me how the cost of attending an extra curricular activity is no big deal.

I have campaigned for years that this should be about the students and getting their butts in the seats for school spirit. This is just as important as a new computer, maybe more so. It is hard for me to come back to Cumberland and drive through it without shedding a tear. How about this: check the number of students that actually attend these games and balance that against the entire reason the sport is supposed to exist - here's a clue - it is not to promote a handful of athletes but to promote a school community and in turn promote a future sense of an adult community. Boy have we failed.

Concerning money: Triple the cost of season reserved tickets. Then issue families of students a discount pass. Charge walk ins like me $20 for a ticket (I'll pay it).

Two separate games involving two separate teams that share the same stadium. I really don't understand why there would be an issue with charging admission for both. Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are. These are two back-to-back games on a Friday that presents a unique opportunity for the students and some families - given that the Alco game will draw so few.... why clear the stands? In fact, you could expect early attendance by FH students and families. The big gorillas in the room are the 'blue hair' red-jacketed season ticket holders and the desire not to share the gate. Of course, all conflict is gone if someone plays Saturday. But why make the local teams do that?

It's not a tournament. It's two separate games. Two separate gates. It's so ridiculously easy to comprehend, I feel dumber having to even respond to you.

You didn't have to respond but apparently you learned something.

So your beef with this is that they will clear the stands and cause students to have to pay twice? And you think FH shouldn't have their turn at playing on Friday?

The 10 students who plan to see both games shouldn't have a problem getting a few extra dollars from Mom and Dad to attend both.

You ask.... I'll answer. Yep! Clearing the stands on back-to-back school activities in that beautiful shared stadium loses and opportunity and rubs me the wrong way. And, I don't know how you got the arbitrary number 10 but if students/families get a two-fer, it should grow the number to a community event. Lastly, there are no longer a few extra dollars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT