ADVERTISEMENT

FH is scorching Smithsburg

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
FH 49-15 at the half over Smithsburg. They are like 12 of 15 from beyond the 3 point arch. The defense contests every dribble, pass and shot. Like FH has 8 guys on the court. Seriously, this is as impressive of a performance as I have seen in this gym.

FH 49-15 at the half over Smithsburg. They are like 12 of 15 from beyond the 3 point arch. The defense contests every dribble, pass and shot. Like FH has 8 guys on the court. Seriously, this is as impressive of a performance as I have seen in this gym.
Defense creating offense. Their top 7 are true dogs defensively. No quit in them.

Last edited:
We'll see next week. Winning a 1A West Basketball title is nice, but it's about as far as anyone ever gets from these mountains. FH would have to beat Edmondson and Lake Clifton to carry hardware home.

Reactions: ravemwp
We'll see next week. Winning a 1A West Basketball title is nice, but it's about as far as anyone ever gets from these mountains. FH would have to beat Edmondson and Lake Clifton to carry hardware home.
One edge this years mountain team may have is that Mikey won't be intimidated by this level of talent down state. He spent the last few years playing with and against more talented players. Mike Sr. has helped coach against those teams as well. Another thing FH has going in its favor is that these kids have experience playing with the pressure that comes from playing for a state championship. Albeit a different sport, it gives them something to draw experience from. One other thing, Mikey has proven to be the most unselfish star player that I have seen in many years. Down state it may be in Fort Hills best interest for him to be a little more selfish at certain times in the game. Hopefully some of his past experience against leveled up talent will rub off and give his teammates a feeling of confidence and calmness. We shall see. Good luck to Big Red.

Last edited:
Fort Hill had two big impact players transfer to FH this year one from Alco and one from BW. A third player that makes a huge difference also started off his highschool at Alco before transitioning to FH. They came together well with 2 starters being the first year on the team.

Hereford in the championship, I can’t remember the semi. It was 2A, that was around the year Dunbar joined the state tournament and still had recruits from their previous team that traveled. Dunbar was 1A and beat every team by 40 points.

1993 had DJ Jessie, Michael Fields and Jake Dermer. I don’t know who remembers, not sure what year Dunbar joined the Maryland Playoffs right around 1990-91 Before that they recruited heavy and played a National Schedule with many D1 players. When Dunbar joined the Maryland playoffs not many players transferred. Dunbar beat Allegany in a state championship game and had quite a few players around 6’8. I believe Keith Booth who went on to Maryland and maybe the NBA and Tommy Polley a linebacker that went to Florida State then the NFL also played on the team.

Last edited:
1993 had DJ Jessie, Michael Fields and Jake Dermer. I don’t know who remembers, not sure what year Dunbar joined the Maryland Playoffs right around 1990-91 Before that they recruited heavy and played a National Schedule with many D1 players. When Dunbar joined the Maryland playoffs not many players transferred. Dunbar beat Allegany in a state championship game and had quite a few players around 6’8. I believe Keith Booth who went on to Maryland and maybe the NBA and Tommy Polley a linebacker that went to Florida State then the NFL also played on the team.

Dunbar joined the MPSSAA in '92. Booth had graduated, but Polley and Norman Nolan who went to Virginia were the top players in '94.

Hope FH wins this year, they have a good shot at it, which doesn’t come around often for Western MD

Dunbar joined the MPSSAA in '92. Booth had graduated, but Polley and Norman Nolan who went to Virginia were the top players in '94.
Booth was on the 93 Dunbar team. True story. My nephew plays JV basketball for Fallston. About a month ago a teammates father was telling my brother and I the story of Booth. Polley, and that Dunbar team beating his Fallston team 122-58 in the state semi-finals. 64 point loss. Correction. Wasn't Polley. It was Rodney Elliott, Booth, and Nolan.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
Tommy Polley was a senior the year Dunbar beat FH in the 1994 football state title game that was played in Hagerstown.

Reactions: ravemwp
Tommy Polley was a senior the year Dunbar beat FH in the 1994 football state title game that was played in Hagerstown.
Junior year. I'm pretty sure Polleys senior year was 95-96. Redshirt his first year FSU 1996.

I just looked it up, said he redshirted in 1996 with most of the class. It also said he was a top 50 basketball prospect. good discussions considering it’s not football season.

Reactions: SS610 and Jailerman
FH has their hands full. This was a good team
FH had a great year. They won the games they needed to win. They bounced back very nicely after the Alco loss

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT