ADVERTISEMENT

FH has three offensive plays

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
1. Belly with Banks
2. Off tackle with Poling or Banks
3. Jet sweep with Powell

Every now and again the QB waggle run. But even that is rare since 6 man lines have shut it down.

absilutly terrible.

1. Belly with Banks
3. Jet sweep with Powell

Every now and again the QB waggle run. But even that is rare since 6 man lines have shut it down.

absilutly terrible.
It’s the wing-T bud...

1. Belly with Banks
3. Jet sweep with Powell

absilutly terrible.
Agree. It's unreal. So conservative and basic. Do they not realize these teams are watching film? Dial up some different plays, throw in some wrinkles. Fh shocked them on 1st down play in OT with the pass.

Reactions: camper21502
I don't know WHAT the obsession with the jet sweep was tonight. It didn't work...it was basically a no gain or loss every time it was run.

It’s the wing-T bud...

In the 90s FH ran the Wing-T and had multiple pass plays in the set thatbwere used regularly. TE pop pass; double split set with hitches, hitch and gos, slants, waggle pass, a fake belly pass, WR bubble-screen, TE Middle screen, FB middle screen. Right there is 9 pass plays we ran and flip the from one side to the other adds to the arsenal. After I was out of school the FH has over 1100 yards passing in 1998 out of the Wing-T.

Reactions: 4R341
I agree....if fh ever decides to throw early and often in gms then teams would b forced to get out of 6 man fronts or atleast not have 11 men within 5yds of the line of scrimmage....then the run gm kicks back in and teams would b dumbstruck.....it aint like logan cant throw....hes came threw everytime in big moments....imagine if they let him throw when the other tm wasn't ready for it

In the 90s FH ran the Wing-T and had multiple pass plays in the set thatbwere used regularly. TE pop pass; double split set with hitches, hitch and gos, slants, waggle pass, a fake belly pass, WR bubble-screen, TE Middle screen, FB middle screen. Right there is 9 pass plays we ran and flip the from one side to the other adds to the arsenal. After I was out of school the FH has over 1100 yards passing in 1998 out of the Wing-T.
Right! I have been saying the last couple years are we EVER going to see a screen again? The end around used to be a staple, and I haven't seen that in five years, or more. The criss cross reverse is not surprising anybody, go with a wide receiver reverse! Put 21, 25, 26 outside and let two run some short little pattern and one take off, how many teams are going to be able to cover those three? Let #6 run a couple plays out of the wildcat! What happened to the quick pitch?
You know those coaches that walk around with a laminated 8 x 11 small print play sheet...we have one too, it's a post-it note, the 1 inch one!

Reactions: fblhp
They have won four consecutive state titles, will be going for a fifth and have won 66 of their past 68 games. "If it ain't broke..."

Not going to win every game with a running clock. Sometimes the opposing team is just going to be better on a given day. Won't see a more varied offense than Melbourne, Allegany did use everything in the playbook in the playoff game, yet FH won both with their three plays.

Reactions: fblhp and towpath94
1. Belly with Banks
3. Jet sweep with Powell

absilutly terrible.

...with the exception of two touchdown passes and a wheel route that got a lot of positive yardage. :)

Yes they are way too conservative and it almost cost them the last 2 weeks.. FH has had lots of success this yr. with the pass so freaking use it... It would open up that running game.. The only way FH loses to Dunbar is if the play calling ain't there..

Yes they are way too conservative and it almost cost them the last 2 weeks.. FH has had lots of success this yr. with the pass so freaking use it... It would open up that running game.. The only way FH loses to Dunbar is if the play calling ain't there..
Agree 100% If fh plays to win, opens it up, they bring home 5th in a row. If they play to not lose (conservative), they may have their hands full.

...with the exception of two touchdown passes and a wheel route that got a lot of positive yardage. :)

Correct. They throw a 39 yard TD pass to Poling and don't throw it again. Until the last drive with 1:33 left in the gun where they should never have thrown the ball. Then end up punting with 50 seconds left and almost cost them the game. The entire 2nd half was horrible offensive play calling. No one expects FH to throw 15 passes but geez.

1. Belly with Banks
3. Jet sweep with Powell

absilutly terrible.
Hey D—k C—e got them 4 state titles and back for the 5th. So u can bitch all u want. They are back at states. So u can call the plays u bleacher coach.

Yeah they need to open up the playbook and start winning some championships like they did through the 90s when they passed more.

Oh wait, nevermind.
This isn't the 90's, stop living in the past. This Dunbar team is going to score often. Can FH say the same? Luck only goes so far. And against Dunbar, FH is anything but lucky.

You're right, it's NOT the 90s. FH has 6 or 7 TD passes in their last 3 games of the playoffs.

I don't think they threw 6 TD passes all year most seasons through the 90s.

As opposed to the last few years, competition is supposed to get STRONGER as you progress into the post season. That's what we are seeing. This has been the toughest road to the finals FH has played in any of their previous trips to get there, as far as I'm concerned. Alco, Lackey and now Dunbar? Two 2A teams from last year? No wonder it's been tough.

You're right, it's NOT the 90s. FH has 6 or 7 TD passes in their last 3 games of the playoffs.

I don't think they threw 6 TD passes all year most seasons through the 90s.

As opposed to the last few years, competition is supposed to get STRONGER as you progress into the post season. That's what we are seeing. This has been the toughest road to the finals FH has played in any of their previous trips to get there, as far as I'm concerned. Alco, Lackey and now Dunbar? Two 2A teams from last year? No wonder it's been tough.

How many of those "TD passes" were bombs? That's great and all, but if you want to compete with balanced-attack schools you have to evolve into that, as well. Or, at least make an attempt at it. A couple of screens or out patterns and the running game opens up. Lackey was run-blitzing like crazy. And, why not?

Face it, #3 is being wasted. The kids are the ones that have to sweat out these poor coaching decisions with their backs against the wall. For pete's sake, just play this state championship game like you belong there, for once - to win!

Also, how many scores in the 2nd Alco game were by passing? Without the pass, they lose that game - period.

Exactly. That totally just disproves your argument. They used the pass to win. case in point.

Exactly. That totally just disproves your argument. They used the pass to win. case in point.

They threw in desperation - and got lucky. Allegany didn't have a healthy quarterback or the score would've been Alco 30+ FH,21. Like I said, backs were against the wall. They can't beat Dunbar without throwing to open up the run. You can remain in denial all you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

Legit question: how many pass plays did Alco call against Dunbar?

If I remember correctly, they RAN at will against the Poets.

Alco ran FOUR pass plays against Dunbar and you claim FH must run 15 to win?

Why am I even still entertaining your silliness?

Your right there is no Robinette on the roster but there is a Banks, Hamilton, Polling, Hardin and many others who was very capable of beating this powerhouse you call Alco twice.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Alco ran FOUR pass plays against Dunbar and you claim FH must run 15 to win?

Why am I even still entertaining your silliness?

Ok. Not much to discuss anyway, right? FH's record against Dunbar being as stellar as it is.

This is not the same Dunbar team that played Alco. If FH throws only four passes, then they lose. Simple, really.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Ok. Not much to discuss anyway, right? FH's record against Dunbar being as stellar as it is.

This is not the same Dunbar team that played Alco. If FH throws only four passes, then they lose. Simple, really.
They don’t want to hear that. I know the difference. You know the difference. But you can’t explain it to get them to the light.

Maybe they will pass more maybe not. I don't think they need to pass 15 times, that simply isn't the game plan for the whole season. I do think they will pass enough to accomplish what they set out to do.

But the biggest issue with passing in this game will be their ability to defend it.

Maybe they will pass more maybe not. I don't think they need to pass 15 times, that simply isn't the game plan for the whole season. I do think they will pass enough to accomplish what they set out to do.

But the biggest issue with passing in this game will be their ability to defend it.
I think you're right, although just as scary is that qb can run for days, hard to contain.
Our pass rush hasn't been nearly as good this year as it has in recent years.
I think containing and stopping the really big plays might be the best we can do.

We somehow managed to do that against Friendship, although they may have relaxed a bit offensively in the second half. I have never seen Fort Hill offensively dismantled like I did during that game. I think that became the blueprint for everybody else following

Wow. You're really stuck on that number, aren't you? Let it go.

Let's keep it simple. Mix the (short) pass in each series - or lose.

Wow. You're really stuck on that number, aren't you? Let it go.

Let's keep it simple. Mix the (short) pass in each series - or lose.

It's your number, not mine. 5 or 6 passes should be the max. I'm sorry but if a run first wing T team resorts to passing much more than that, then they've got other problems to deal with.

Like I said maybe they will, maybe they won't. But changing the entire game plan in week 14 would be crazy. If FH is relegated to throwing a double digit number of passes, they've already lost. jmo. we shall see.

It's your number, not mine. 5 or 6 passes should be the max. I'm sorry but if a run first wing T team resorts to passing much more than that, then they've got other problems to deal with.

Like I said maybe they will, maybe they won't. But changing the entire game plan in week 14 would be crazy. If FH is relegated to throwing a double digit number of passes, they've already lost. jmo. we shall see.

They don't need to change the offense but the coaching staff does need to show the ability to make in game adjustments if the run doesn't work bc there are 11 men in the box. Have to be flexible and prepared to switch it up if the first option isn't working. And I disagree the game isn't lost if they have to go to plan B see Sherando...

They don't need to change the offense but the coaching staff does need to show the ability to make in game adjustments if the run doesn't work bc there are 11 men in the box. Have to be flexible and prepared to switch it up if the first option isn't working. And I disagree the game isn't lost if they have to go to plan B see Sherando...
you summed it up the best.

Reactions: bigsavage
1. Belly with Banks
3. Jet sweep with Powell

absilutly terrible.

This is typical of the "modern day" person in what we call the "land of the fan." I'm not a Fort Hill fan nor did I attend FH but they are doing something special. Most schools would die to have one state championship let alone 4 on the verge of 5.

But you still have people who question the coaches and play-calling. I've seen programs who have 15 different formations with 10 plays out of each formation who cannot execute one play out of any of them. If you execute well they can know it's coming and still not stop it. Better to do a few things great then a lot of everything and do nothing well..

If you think FH's offense is boring, predictable and terrible you need to check out Bridgeport's. Double tight, full house power run game. Maybe 20 passes a season. Everyone knows it's coming and they are the most predicatable team you have ever scouted but you can't stop it.

I lost count but it's won them many WV AAA and now double A championships. I wish FH the best and what they do has earned my respect. They are a great model of how to run a small school football program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT