ADVERTISEMENT

FH Alco 1A

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
I can guarantee FH and Allegany are 1 and 2 in the state. FH is at another level way above, there is a drop but Alco is for sure second best 1A team. Allegany is starting to build a program starting with the younger kids as FH did. It won't be long until the program is turned around and becomes more competitive

Same place Alco was sitting at last year. It's a 2 game schedule for Alco, really horrible. Only Keyser and FH are competitive in the least. They went 8-2 against it last season. While Chestnut is a little improved from a year ago they aren't very good. Until Alco plays Keyser and FH I will hold judgement.

Being fair though, FH has a 3 maybe 4 game schedule at best. We saw the Keyser result. Will hold off judgement until Sherando. Although South Hagerstown is 2-0 with solid wins over Mervo and Urbana not sure what they have.

Yes but it's a good 1A schedule for Allegany right now and still tougher than many/most 1A schools. I'm about to call you Big Savage or whoever that guy is lol

Lol. Last year's Alco team was not even close to this year's team. The team this year has good balance. They will keep getting better. There is a freshman on varsity and a few sophomores. Soon football at Allegany will be back.

Other than Allegany, I honestly suspect that Fort Hill is 40, maybe 50 points better than everyone else in Maryland 1A.

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502
I watched the commercial vid of the Allegany game. Allegany has put together a very good football team for a small high school. The coaching this year - as well as the obvious efforts at weight training and practice - has produced a fine result. Once it finally settles in that Alco didn't have enough bodies for a freshman team we can begin to really see what is going on in high school football in Cumberland: Allegany is not coming back.

Sure, Korn blamed his players for everything and mishandled games he should have won but currently the truth is that Allegany doesn't have the numbers and doesn't have the talent to compete on the FH level. Those who think everything is only about 'quick drills' and weight training are fooling no one - well maybe some FH faithful that simply refuse to acknowledge a simple head count.

Fort Hills program is generating success year in and year out. This comes from coaching, and what the program entails. This same group of kids growing up in say, a Southern football system would not be nearly as good and as sharp as a Cumberland type system. Yes, Numbers have some influence but the coaching in the program is what molds these athletes into their full potential.

I can't speak for what the program is today, but in the 90's, all the freshman who wanted to become Sentinals had their bodies pushed to the limit where nausea was an every day occurrence from the intensity of the drills and breaking in each of the players.

It's the difference between just changing your diet to lose weight, or changing your diet and doing the P90x work out plan everyday. You're going to have 2 completely separate results in the outcome.

Alco right now is changing their diet (the coach), but is that coach going to bring in the discipline of the p90x type of dedication to develop their talents.

I bet SOMEONE's mind is blown right now, considering he thought we were both the same person.

I remember seeing linemen everyday AFTER 2-a-days, and AFTER stadium laps... running a mile to get their time under 7 mins. God bless those boys for never breaking.

Fort Hills program is generating success year in and year out. This comes from coaching, and what the program entails. This same group of kids growing up in say, a Southern football system would not be nearly as good and as sharp as a Cumberland type system. Yes, Numbers have some influence but the coaching in the program is what molds these athletes into their full potential.

I can't speak for what the program is today, but in the 90's, all the freshman who wanted to become Sentinals had their bodies pushed to the limit where nausea was an every day occurrence from the intensity of the drills and breaking in each of the players.

It's the difference between just changing your diet to lose weight, or changing your diet and doing the P90x work out plan everyday. You're going to have 2 completely separate results in the outcome.

Alco right now is changing their diet (the coach), but is that coach going to bring in the discipline of the p90x type of dedication to develop their talents.

That is just ridiculous - particularly your dieting analogy. So what am I going to believe? You? Or my lying eyes. All you have to do is watch the Allegany team (well, this year and prior years) and it is glaringly apparent how they pump iron and work their program. Even under Korn the Camper teams were athletic and fought like junkyard dogs. The fact that they were poorly coached and didn't have the talent of FH has nothing to do with their athleticism. As individuals the Camper Football teams are historically the best athletes they can be.

The number of athletic bodies FH can place on the field is due to the number of athletic bodies FH can place on the field. It is laughable to suggest that this year's FH team is not the result of an abundance of talent.

If you really want to be honest, ask yourself how many Camper players would start on this year's FH team. Actually, don't bother. I already know. The fact is if they merged the two schools FH would not be all that much better than it is now. FH is getting the benefit of the Cumberland talent without being classified as a larger school.

Now, the aforementioned comments have nothing to do with the outstanding coaching provided by Appel and his staff. And - need I say - the great FH tradition is unquestioned.

Furthermore, the argument you are using is the same one that the old troll Route9 used against FH in comparison to Dunbar. He would laughingly state that FH could not beat Dunbar because of their weight program and speed conditioning. But we knew better, didn't we.

Last edited:
That is just ridiculous - particularly your dieting analogy. So what am I going to believe? You? Or my lying eyes. All you have to do is watch the Allegany team (well, this year and prior years) and it is glaringly apparent how they pump iron and work their program. Even under Korn the Camper teams were athletic and fought like junkyard dogs. The fact that they were poorly coached and didn't have the talent of FH has nothing to do with their athleticism. As individuals the Camper Football teams are historically the best athletes they can be.

The number of athletic bodies FH can place on the field is due to the number of athletic bodies FH can place on the field. It is laughable to suggest that this year's FH team is not the result of an abundance of talent.

If you really want to be honest, ask yourself how many Camper players would start on this year's FH team. Actually, don't bother. I already know. The fact is if they merged the two schools FH would not be all that much better than it is now. FH is getting the benefit of the Cumberland talent without being classified as a larger school.

Now, the aforementioned comments have nothing to do with the outstanding coaching provided by Appel and his staff. And - need I say - the great FH tradition is unquestioned.

Furthermore, the argument you are using is the same one that the old troll Route9 used against FH in comparison to Dunbar. He would laughingly state that FH could not beat Dunbar because of their weight program and speed conditioning. But we knew better, didn't we.

Apples and oranges... I always thought the Dumbar argument was that they recruited

No one said that they don't have a program... But there's a difference in "sweating to the oldies" and the P90X

Last edited:
Apples and oranges... I always thought the Dumbar argument was that they recruited

The point is that Dunbar had better talent and ole Route9 was trying to say it was their program and that FH could not beat them because they created their athletes by means of weights and conditioning.... and so forth. We know they recruited players and had better talent.

No one did that they don't have a program... But there's a difference in "sweating to the oldies" and the P90X

The proof of Alco's athleticism is on the field - it was Friday. They don't have FH's talent or depth of talent, but they obviously have pumped a lot of iron and are the best they can be. It is clear to any fair minded person. Insult them if you will with the ''sweating to the oldies" line - but so what.

I WILL SAY... I'm speaking from a place of ignorance... I have no idea what the Alco program is like.

My opinion comes from a 1st hand experience of the intensity the FH program, and the FH program ONLY. I have never seen the Alco program, and its functions.

I'm not insulting anyone. But just a few years ago, the simple loss of TJ changed the complete lay out of the game. We wasn't deep. The depth of which you are referring to is a very rare thing. I've never seen this much depth. Your commenting like its a every year thing

For all I know parents of Alco students complain that football isn't life, and don't want to see their children physically pushed to point it may cause harm. I don't know Alco, I just know FH tradition.

I grew up with stories of how the great Charlie Lattimer made the students drink out of puddles if they were thirsty. Not sure if it's true or not, but that was the stories none the less.

The proof of Alco's athleticism is on the field - it was Friday. They don't have FH's talent or depth of talent, but they obviously have pumped a lot of iron and are the best they can be. It is clear to any fair minded person. Insult them if you will with the ''sweating to the oldies" line - but so what.

So I accept your apology?

Allegany didn't have a program before. They started practice in August. Now they will have off season workouts. Hansel knows what it takes. Allegany has the athletes they never came close to hitting their potential as FH does. That will change. Hansel has been to Hunters and Warriors games feeders to Allegany looking and talking. Kids will want to go to Allegany and all the Alco kids will stop transferring to FH. It will take a few years but you will see a major change and things will start to shift.

It will take a few years but you will see a major change and things will start to shift.

I've told people that I think it is wise for Hansel to build the program over a few years and realize it will take that time to get the program where he wants it. Then when Appel steps down in a few years you have your program peaking at the right time for that major shift in the city.

Allegany didn't have a program before. They started practice in August. Now they will have off season workouts. Hansel knows what it takes. Allegany has the athletes they never came close to hitting their potential as FH does. That will change. Hansel has been to Hunters and Warriors games feeders to Allegany looking and talking. Kids will want to go to Allegany and all the Alco kids will stop transferring to FH. It will take a few years but you will see a major change and things will start to shift.

It's nice to be a fan of Hansel. And, hearing his post game interview was a real treat compared to Korn. But really, you will never convince me that those young men suddenly - after years of neglect as you claim - came onto the field and manhandled CR the way they did. That smallish Alco line was in shape... strong and quick. Carson Robinette was dragging two and three CR tacklers down the field. The passing game was crisp and the pass defense was rather stout.

Hey! I disliked Korn more than anybody that ever posted in this forum. But don't tell me last year's Alco line didn't stop FH better than anybody FH played - well, in 1A. No program? No work outs?

Sure, potential Alco athletes had been transferring to FH to avoid Korn. I'll buy that. I've heard specific players mentioned to me in the past few years. No secret. And, maybe there was no freshman team because those young men went to FH - proves my point that FH is getting the bulk of the city talent.... and, maybe that is why they finally dumped Korn.

But please. That Alco team is in shape and well schooled. It didn't happen in a couple weeks during August. Those are football players at their max potential.

Last edited:
If Alco was down the road and not in Cumberland, Everyone would give them much more credit for their football program. They have been a top 5 school in 1A for many yrs. even with the Korn...

If Alco was down the road and not in Cumberland, Everyone would give them much more credit for their football program. They have been a top 5 school in 1A for many yrs. even with the Korn...

I completely agree... We have something special here in Cumberland. We all bring the best (and sometimes the worst) out in each other.

A strength I think Alco has head and shoulders above FH, is that their student body is better prepared for LIFE. It isn't all just about sports accomplishments. Which is why I said earlier that "for all I know... Parent's say football isn't life". Again strictly an assumption.

When you goto FH, you desire you kids to goto FH. You desire your children to carry on the traditions. Don't know if Alco students grow up to become parents with the same mind set. They move past high school.

Reactions: towpath94
I am a FH grad and I'd say I was prepared for life. I have a great job thanks to my bachelor's degree, a great wife and family, live in a very nice home and feel good about where I am. Quite an assumption there that FH grads aren't prepared for LIFE, as you say. Head and shoulders above FH? Really? You believe that?

Better prepared? Anyone who has been close to Fort Hills program will call BS on that.
This program goes well beyond foot ball. Over half of the players have a 3.0 or higher GPA. They push them in all aspects not just foot ball. There will always be a few who will give a program a black eye and that is at any school or career there is. When people say that Fort Hill out works the other schools it's not just in the gym and on the field. Its the time the coaches put in to prepare those young men for life. Yes there are a lot of kids with natural talent but if you watch the kids go from freshman to seniors you can see the ones that put in the work to reach there potential. You can see the transformation in the respect they show all the people around them and in the program. Stick around after a game some time and watch the players thank the band. Not something you will see very often. A few years ago they said Fort Hill would be lucky to go 5 and 5 and look what that team did. They played as a team and far exceeded every ones expectations. Even with the talent they have that mind set has carryed through. There is a lot of pride and tradition on the hill but this program has grown more than most people realize and I'm not talking about championships although they don't hurt.

Better prepared? Anyone who has been close to Fort Hills program will call BS on that.
This program goes well beyond foot ball. Over half of the players have a 3.0 or higher GPA. They push them in all aspects not just foot ball. There will always be a few who will give a program a black eye and that is at any school or career there is. When people say that Fort Hill out works the other schools it's not just in the gym and on the field. Its the time the coaches put in to prepare those young men for life. Yes there are a lot of kids with natural talent but if you watch the kids go from freshman to seniors you can see the ones that put in the work to reach there potential. You can see the transformation in the respect they show all the people around them and in the program. Stick around after a game some time and watch the players thank the band. Not something you will see very often. A few years ago they said Fort Hill would be lucky to go 5 and 5 and look what that team did. They played as a team and far exceeded every ones expectations. Even with the talent they have that mind set has carryed through. There is a lot of pride and tradition on the hill but this program has grown more than most people realize and I'm not talking about championships although they don't hurt.

Well said... I concede to your point

But 5-5!!!!!

It's unfortunate for Allegany that Fort Hill is literally in their own backyard and that they can advance nowhere without advancing through Fort Hill. Last years Allegany team played FH tougher than anyone and I believe if Fort Hill didn't exist Allegany absolutely would have won the state championship. i think they were the second best team in the state and as much as it pains me to say it, I think Boonsboro may have been # 3.

On one hand it's good to have Fort Hill across town because it certainly should push you to work harder and harder knowing that's the task at hand, it forces you to up your game. By the same token, it has to somewhat be morally demoralyzing as well.

Reactions: camper21502
Yeah, the playoff system is so whack. If the goal is to determine the best two teams play for the title, it has been happening in the first or second week of the playoffs for the last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT