ADVERTISEMENT

Douglass PG

Yes an 8-5 team that beat Dunbar by 2 td. And 1 point losses to 2 4A playoff teams. They were a very good, well coached football team.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Yes an 8-5 team that beat Dunbar by 2 td. And 1 point losses to 2 4A playoff teams. They were a very good, well coached football team.

I dont think this year's FH team could beat last year's Douglass team. This is probably the lesser of any team Coach Appel has had since 2012. They just lost too many seniors.

If FH can even get to the title game then this coaching staff did a great job. Defensively there are way too many holes. They would need their A+ game to even have a shot at a repeat.

I wish FH could have played Dunbar last year. Once FH hit their peak no one was beating that team in 1A.

This years team can win this. Make proper adjustments with the pass D and They need to throw the football 1/3 of the time. They need to stop the bs of the QB running to sideline every play, especially Danny. His foot can take them to the title. Without his foot they Greatly reduce the chance of winning it. He needs to remain focused on the kicking job he is capable of because it is the biggest weapon they got. Without his foot last year we may not win that title game and the year before he kept us in the Dunbar game. He is the answer and the coaches must not overlook his value on the Special teams end of it. Close games are won on the special teams. Close games are coming.

Reactions: Tony54
I dont think this year's FH team could beat last year's Douglass team. This is probably the lesser of any team Coach Appel has had since 2012. They just lost too many seniors.

If FH can even get to the title game then this coaching staff did a great job. Defensively there are way too many holes. They would need their A+ game to even have a shot at a repeat.

I wish FH could have played Dunbar last year. Once FH hit their peak no one was beating that team in 1A.
I completely agree. That defense was one of the best I have seen.

Very true. Let’s take a look back at last years last 6 games
MR- 56-0 sefa 13 carries 3 yards
Alco- 38-0
Southern- 55-8 southern scored on reserves late in game
Catoctin- 55-6 Catoctin scored on reserves late also
HDG- 43-6 again a late TD on reserves
Douglass- 20-8- the only TD scored on the first team in this 6 game span. And that TD should not have happened. Remember, Douglass failed to convert on 4th down and FH took the penalty on that play wich gave them and extra down. Still don’t understand how that happened. So 8 points in 6 games. Also the offense scored 267 points in those 6 games. That team peaked at the right time

Well coached? They ran the same play over and over, the dive to the fullback. If they would have optioned to the pitch man, they would still be running. Decent passing game.

Reactions: OneRing
Regardless, they were fast on D. Easily the best team FH has seen defensively other than Friendship and maybe ECP in the last 3 years. There’s a reason Suitland, Flowers, and Dunbar only scored a td on them. Fast!

Reactions: LinemenWinGames
Douglass is 10-0 and has won 14 of their last 15 and is picked by many to win 2A. FH is their only loss in the 2018 title. They’ve had big wins over teams like Dunbar and Gwynn Park in that stretch. No gimme ring there laggy

PG-Douglass only gave up 5.33 pts per game through first 12 games going into the State Title round. They had to defeat Fairmont Hts, Lackey (Boogie Middleton), then Dunbar to get in and only gave up 25 points combined in those three playoff games.

Well coached? They ran the same play over and over, the dive to the fullback. If they would have optioned to the pitch man, they would still be running. Decent passing game.

It's called knowing your personnel and using what worked to get there. That offense was good enough to beat Dunbar. The fact that you question someone like Coach Pinkney shows your lack of knowledge.

It's called knowing your personnel and using what worked to get there. That offense was good enough to beat Dunbar. The fact that you question someone like Coach Pinkney shows your lack of knowledge.
Right. They receive the second half kickoff and are pinned down around the five yard line and they run the same play 3 times. Great coaching. Right up there with Don Shula!

Right. They receive the second half kickoff and are pinned down around the five yard line and they run the same play 3 times. Great coaching. Right up there with Don Shula!
Of alcos 8 titles how many did you play for

You mean the same coach who is in the State Coach's Hall of Fame? With all the rest who run the same plays over and over...and win the majority of the time?

hey that's what appel does pretty much every single game, right?

Reactions: money316
hey that's what appel does pretty much every single game, right?

Works for FH in 1A, as evidenced by their overall success and consistency during his tenure at the helm. Opening it up a little, that said, would certainly prove interesting. It would make those Friendly style games, which I love seeing them take, win or lose, more competitive.

Douglass coach is good but not amazing. The fact they got to the final last year with 5 losses is an example of the lack of quality teams in 1A. Several people on this board noted that Dunbar wasn't that good last year. Douglass is obviously much better this year than last year.

I still have FH going to Annapolis this year, and they can easily win it again. I'm not convinced by Catoctin or Gwynn Park.

Last edited:
Douglass coach is good but not amazing. The fact they got to the final last year with 5 losses is an example of the lack of quality teams in 1A. Several people on this board noted that Dunbar wasn't that good last year. Douglass is obviously much better this year than last year.

I still have FH going to Annapolis this year, and they can easily win it again. I'm not convinced by Catoctin or Gwynn Park.

Par for the course.

Hall of Fame coach is "okay". Douglas got to the finals with 5 losses because 1A sucks, not because they're coached well. Douglas is better THIS year. ad nauseum.

Par for the course.

Hall of Fame coach is "okay". Douglas got to the finals with 5 losses because 1A sucks, not because they're coached well. Douglas is better THIS year. ad nauseum.
It must be because they are in 2A now.

Par for the course.

"In PG I don't understand why Douglass is getting so much love this year. They're about to get beat this weekend."

That was his quote on the MOCO board before a week 2 game between Douglass and Gwynn Park.

Douglass won 30-6.

Par for the course.

You guys will argue about anything, lol. A 5 loss team that played for the state title, that looks right to you?

Last edited:
Reactions: OneRing
"In PG I don't understand why Douglass is getting so much love this year. They're about to get beat this weekend."

That was his quote on the MOCO board before a week 2 game between Douglass and Gwynn Park.

Douglass won 30-6.

Yes, early in the season it's hard to predict games. Down here it's about 50 schools. It's not like WMD where you can pretty accurately scout every team. I got a week 2 game wrong, so kill me, lol. But you learn as the season progresses. I don't see Gwynn Park beating Fort Hill this year.

Par for the course.

Because Hall of Fame coach Jack Gilmore went undefeated upon his return to Allegany? Douglass lost 5 games in one regular season because they are coached well? FH wins 1A titles because they are a good team. Allegany won 2A titles because 2A was weak.

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Because Hall of Fame coach Jack Gilmore went undefeated upon his return to Allegany? Douglass lost 5 games in one regular season because they are coached well? FH wins 1A titles because they are a good team. Allegany won 2A titles because 2A was weak.

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds

When teams like Douglass aren't playing 5 games a season against the likes of Silver oak and green Street academy, they're bound to have a few losses. And I don't recall saying Allegany won 2A titles because 2A was weak. Hell FH could barely do it. How am I a hypocrite?

You guys will argue about anything, lol. A 5 loss team that played for the state title, that looks right to you?

You guys need to do your research....1A Douglass had 4 regular season losses last year......OMG they're terrible.....but wait:

Lost to 3A Potomac 6-0.......Potomac finished 7-4.
Lost to 4A Suitland 7-6......Suitland finished 8-2.
Lost to 2A Gwynn Park 14-6.....GP finished 5-4.
Lost to 4A Flowers 7-6.....Flowers finished 10-1.

1A FH gave Douglass their worst loss of the season......it was a hard fought game between two good teams, both well-coached. Processworks was right on.....see the beginning of this thread.

When teams like Douglass aren't playing 5 games a season against the likes of Silver oak and green Street academy, they're bound to have a few losses. And I don't recall saying Allegany won 2A titles because 2A was weak. Hell FH could barely do it. How am I a hypocrite?
Wait... So a 1A team can play a tough schedule and still make the playoffs? A team that FH handed a blowout loss to can play a tough schedule, but FH itself can't?

You guys need to do your research....1A Douglass had 4 regular season losses last year......OMG they're terrible.....but wait:

Lost to 3A Potomac 6-0.......Potomac finished 7-4.
Lost to 4A Suitland 7-6......Suitland finished 8-2.
Lost to 2A Gwynn Park 14-6.....GP finished 5-4.
Lost to 4A Flowers 7-6.....Flowers finished 10-1.

1A FH gave Douglass their worst loss of the season......it was a hard fought game between two good teams, both well-coached. Processworks was right on.....see the beginning of this thread.
All those teams but one either lost in the first round or missed the playoffs. As Helmich said in another post, there are 3A schools who manage to get a bunch of wins, but aren't very good. As he said, FH was scheduling those guys for a few years. The only team to advance in the playoffs did so by beating one of the other teams on that list.

Potomac lost in the first round
Suitland lost in the first round
Gwynn Park missed the playoffs

Flowers lost in the second round, besting Suitland in the first round.

Keyser went 9-1 this year, but haven't seen any respect from FH fans about that record. Funny how that works.

Wait... So a 1A team can play a tough schedule and still make the playoffs? A team that FH handed a blowout loss to can play a tough schedule, but FH itself can't?

Right, FH could play a tougher schedule and still make the playoffs. Like Douglass. I feel like you're arguing with me, but I actually agree with you.

Right, FH could play a tougher schedule and still make the playoffs. Like Douglass. I feel like you're arguing with me, but I actually agree with you.
Be careful. Dont go against the FHive Mind or they'll swarm.

Works for FH in 1A, as evidenced by their overall success and consistency during his tenure at the helm. Opening it up a little, that said, would certainly prove interesting. It would make those Friendly style games, which I love seeing them take, win or lose, more competitive.
word! That was my point. Somebody is trying to say Douglass runs one play so they weren't tough, but that is what FH does all the time and they beat Douglass, so maybe they are both tough?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT