ADVERTISEMENT

Briar Woods

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
What do you all think? Briar Woods is 4-0, looks like the 4 wins are to teams with a combine record of 5 wins 12 losses. I hear they are a good team. I don’t know anything about them

Last edited:
I do not really expect FH to come into town and win, but if any team can manage to pull it off, it’d be them! A good showing would serve Western MD Football well, win or lose.

Good luck to them.

I watched them on NFHS. They are very good and extremely well coached.. they have a very well balanced run and passing attack for a high school team. The coach that they have specializes in rebuilding programs. They look very good..
So did I. They run the ball very well and can score quickly. I only watched the one game against John Champe. JC is a very good football team that I think would beat FH by at least 14+. So, this will only be a good game if FH can, once again (dead horse), sustain long, time-consuming drives with zero crucial penalties. And, of course, FH will need to throw short passes effectively to reduce the quantity of run blitzes. I think BW wins this game 35-14 if FH sticks to pound-it-up-the-middle.

Again, this was only one game, early in the season. But, again, JC played very, very well. BW just played consistent - away.

Last edited:
Briar Woods had a bye this weekend. Extra time to prepare for that wing-T. We'll see.

I still feel Wadsworth is 21 points better than Briar Woods. We'll see.

I think this game is a toss-up, 27-21 type score. Burnett is a fantastic coach, probably 2nd in Loudoun County only to Thompson at Stone Bridge. He's in year 3 of the Briar rebuild, so it's hard to gauge how legit they are based on their schedule to date (BW opponents are a combined 8-11, and 4 of those wins come from John Champe)

I think this game is won on the line. Can FH get to QB Carmical before he has time to pass/run and can Briar stop the FH ground game? Burnett made a comment in a pre-season interview that it's been hard finding kids to play on the line, so we'll see. Penalties obviously could also have a big impact so hopefully, both teams are clean next week.

With that said, this could also end up being a Sherando/Oakdale-type game if BW defense is unable to adapt to the FH offense.

It would be great if the three Allegany County schools would schedule more of the Loudoun County schools - believe they would be very competitive games.

I haven’t been able to find much on briar woods this year as far as highlights or video goes but from what I have found, it looks like the defensive line is small and they rely on defensive quickness to make plays and tackles. The offensive line looks to be decently sized but the QB looks to tuck and run rather than throw from the videos.

If FH doesn’t turn it over and can wear on the defensive line then it’ll fair we’ll for FH. At the end of the day fort hill has Carter Hess and he will wreck any game or offensive plan on top of the speed that the FH line backers have to chase after the scrambling QB. FH wins 28-14

If Fort Hill loses the turnover battle I don’t see them winning. My head says Briar Woods by a touchdown but I have to pick Ft Hill. 28 to 21

If Fort Hill loses the turnover battle I don’t see them winning. My head says Briar Woods by a touchdown but I have to pick Ft Hill. 28 to 21
Or excessive penalties, you just don't beat well coached teams that have talent and speed when you are constantly behind the chains.

Reactions: Tony54
I am just so excited to personally see the Sentinels represent Cumberland here in NoVa tomorrow. Win or lose, it will be a blast to cheer them on and experience in person. A rare treat. If this goes well for both schools, I hope this will not be the last time this happens!

I am just so excited to personally see the Sentinels represent Cumberland here in NoVa tomorrow. Win or lose, it will be a blast to cheer them on and experience in person. A rare treat. If this goes well for both schools, I hope this will not be the last time this happens!
The issue of playing Virginia schools is the same in PA and Montgomery County. They all have league games. Unless you are Hollidaysburg, which is an extremely rare PA Inependent. If there is an open date it's hard to find and fill.

My biggest issue currently with the MPSSAA is that Maryland has to be different than every state surrounding us. WV, VA, PA, DC and all private schools start fall sports a week or two ahead of MD. Why? Because Montgomery County has to pay their coaches more for the extra week. Problem is there are tons of schools in Montgomery County so they can play each other. They are not concerned about playing teams in other states. Same old Maryland where population centers set the rules. My argument has always been that Montgomery County can take a bye on week 1 and start whenever they want. Nope.

The issue of playing Virginia schools is the same in PA and Montgomery County. They all have league games. Unless you are Hollidaysburg, which is an extremely rare PA Inependent. If there is an open date it's hard to find and fill.

My biggest issue currently with the MPSSAA is that Maryland has to be different than every state surrounding us. WV, VA, PA, DC and all private schools start fall sports a week or two ahead of MD. Why? Because Montgomery County has to pay their coaches more for the extra week. Problem is there are tons of schools in Montgomery County so they can play each other. They are not concerned about playing teams in other states. Same old Maryland where population centers set the rules. My argument has always been that Montgomery County can take a bye on week 1 and start whenever they want. Nope.
Is that why Sherando, after two years, ceased being a thing?

The MPSSAA only has concerns for the large, and or rich counties, along with Baltimore City. This may sound wonky, but I will say it anyway. A conversation with a friend today, we discussed the current playoff system. Fort Hill could play a schedule of all 4A schools finish the regular season 0-9, and still win the 1A state championship. For that matter the same goes for MR and Alco. Most years will be the best 3 teams in Maryland 1A. The MPSSAA is becoming like the NCAA, no longer needed or necessary. It may be time for a complete makeover. I don't know the answers, but it's becoming obvious that there has to be a better way. Especially for some of the far out border counties.

Reactions: Argox66
Yeah, I truly can’t fathom a 1 or 2 win team making the playoffs. Makes the regular season pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Is that why Sherando, after two years, ceased being a thing?
Yes. FH had a 2 year contract with Sherando for 2023 and 2024. But VA realigned their regions and forced regional play so the deal was cancelled. No fault of Sherando, they really wanted to play. Ironically that is where Briar Woods was picked up for the same open date. Exchanging one VA opponent for another. Funny how things work out.

The Briar Woods deal is for 2 years. They travel to Greenway in 2024. Wadsworth and Coolidge are a one year deal. New Oxford is on the last year of that contract. So as of now, FH needs games next season to replace Coolidge, Wadsworth and New Oxford.

Where might one listen to this game that doesn't include WTBO... online or whatnot?

Well dang, my plans fell through and now I can’t go to the game. Dang it.

Oh well, good luck Big Red!

Btw as bad as WTBO is, NFHS is just as bad. The camera has a smudge on it and half the whole field is almost impossible to see. I decided to subscribe and yeah, it's bad. Shouldn't be that crappy when it's a pay service.

7thlnn.png

• Angry
Reactions: Dwj21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT