ADVERTISEMENT

Avalon vs. Fort Hill Game Cancelled - story line

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
My cell has been blowing up tonight so I will address this situation here. The Fort Hill vs. Avalon game set for October 10 at Greenway Avenue Stadium has been cancelled. Fort Hill currently has a 9 game schedule. We are working on a replacement and that is all I can say right now.

In a nutshell, the Avalon game was cancelled because the MPSSAA won't sanction them as they choose to use 5th year seniors that don't meet the MPSSAA Standards of Competition (rules). Avalon has a handful of 5th year seniors, we knew this back in March. We also knew they might have a few 5th year players that would not be eligible. But we worked under the assumption that they were legit 5th year seniors under MPSSAA rules and if it turned out they were not, Avalon would not let those kids participate. Those rules state that if you have not turned age 19 by August 31, you are eligible to play another season if you have not already played the maximum 4 seasons. This happens quite frequently actually. But the rules clearly state that if you play just one single regular season play, even if it's just like an extra point attempt, that one play counts for an entire year. As it turns out, Avalon has a couple of players that don't meet the criteria because they played at least one play during each of their 4 year high school career.

Avalon was/is aware of at least one player not meeting the criteria. They planned on appealing his eligibility and if they didn't win the appeal, would just hold him out against Fort Hill. But the MPSSAA mandates that ineligible players cannot participate at any time of the season, not just against a member school. As time moved on another 5th year player was discovered not to meet that criteria. Avalon has decided to let those kids play. The only MPSSAA school on their schedule was Fort Hill. The rest are private schools, etc. who aren't governed by MPSSAA competition standards. Avalon did not feel right telling those two players they could not play just so they could keep Fort Hill on the schedule. So the game was cancelled. However, they are no longer allowed to play any MPSSAA member.

I personally believe the 5th year senior rule should be thrown out. From the time you enroll in the 9th grade, you get 4 years to play period. Otherwise, you get into situations where a kid said he didn't play any snaps his freshman or sophomore year...and who is going to investigate that by watching freshman video if it even exists? Or by investigating past freshman/JV coaches who can or cannot vouch for whether a kid played a snap or not? Stupid rule.

No sleep until the schedule is reset...I promise. Even if it means traveling to Buffalo for a game ;)

Last edited:
Hopefully they are able to find a replacement and have a full 10 game schedule for the boys. Interesting note... Martinsburg has an open date that weekend???

So does Mountain Ridge. Think they would play twice like we do with JV?

I have no idea if they would want to or not. But doesn't the MPSSAA have a rule where if you play a team more than once you don't get any points for the second game played. So I doubt you guys would want to do that if that is the case. Even with 1a West not having North Carroll or Manchester Valley.

But honestly Fort Hill fans... it was only a joke about the Martinsburg thing. Don't take it to heart.

I am not close with the AD or Coach at MR so I wouldn't know if they would be interested or not. I only do a site for the team because I love High School Football and I love Mountain Ridge.

Todd, not that you need any help but just thought I would let you know that as far as I know the only schools that could possibly be looking for a game that weekend would be Mountain Ridge, Martinsburg (WV), Capitol (WV), Bluefield (WV), and Hannan (WV).

I actually believe that New Town from Owings Mills MD may be looking to fill a game that weekend as well.

Thanks beall02. I didn't mean that in a demeaning way. Was actually serious although I already know the answer. You are correct. We could play twice legally, but only the first encounter is included in point totals. The second game can be played, it just wouldn't count towards any standings. But the point totals would only be divided by 9 so it wouldn't hurt either team. It's more about giving the kids a chance to play a game.

I don't wish to dredge up that Martinsburg argument again. It would be nice if any of the other surrounding schools like Jefferson, Hedgesville, Musselman, Washington, etc. would play FH...I think then FH could add the Dogs. But since they all say no thanks, the same comes from FH.

I often wondered if we could match up with Bluefield and play somewhere in between like at Glenville State. 2.5 hour drive for both.

Last edited:
I'm not neccessarily calling for Fort Hill to play any of these teams, the schedule is already loaded, but Martinsburg, Capitol and Bluefield, wow, that's 3 powerhouse West Virginia teams. Maybe if the schedule wasn't already loaded, a matchup with any of those 3 would be great.

I didn't read that part of the rule. I was under the assumption that if you played a team twice it would hurt you with the point system. It would be pretty cool to have a home-and-home in the same season with a team. I was actually hoping that Mountain Ridge would pick up New Town some how. Being from Baltimore and living there I thought it would be a nice game to see.

And you are fine Todd. I only said what I did because I didn't want you to think I was close to them and could some how see if they were interested.

I live and work in Baltimore. Travel to the games and do the site on my own time.

I'll admit I am not too familiar with the WV teams other than the ones I am used to seeing. Moorefield, Keyser, Frankfort, Hedgesville, Jefferson, Washington, etc.

Just to clarify, for now we are good to go with Capitol Christian? Hate to see two games fall through. At least, if it's after the season starts and CCA cancels, it would be a forfeit win right? But an 8 game schedule? egads.

Archbishop Curley on Thursday Oct. 1 away...CCA is now Oct. 10th. All unconfirmed of course...

Todd,
Call Bluefield and see if they will agree to your idea of playing some where in the middle.

Parkersburg High Stadium is open on Oct. 10 about 2 hours 30 minutes from Bluefield straight up I77 for them.
Its about 2 hours 45 minutes from Cumberland, I 68 to Morgantown, I79 to Clarksburg, then Rte 50 to Parkersburg
might be worth a call

Ed---what about Jim Justice letting Fort Hill play Bluefield at the Greenbrier, home of the Saints Training Camp? Seriously.

Jim Justice might even foot the bill, he coaches a high school girls basketball team and wants the WV State Championships there.

Delmer's cousin Darl Delawder is the chief Omelette Maker at the Greenbrier and gives Bunker Tours for some extra scratch.

Notice football changes on Fort Hill band Facebook on Thursday 10-1 a away game in Baltimore, no game on 10-2. Capitol Christan game moved to 10-10.

Obviously I don't like the practices of Avalon, but this continues the misery of FH trying to schedule opponents.

Hey, Capitol Christian needs basketball games. Ask Alco if they would be interested. But check out their Hoops Twitter account before making any rash decisions. This ain't a football school.
https://twitter.com/CCAWARRIOR
Scroll down for about 20 seconds.

Steubenville, Ohio (AA in WV) is looking for a game, but its a different date.
They need Oct. 15 - 16, They had a game, but University Prep out of Pittsburgh, PA double booked that weekend, and chose to play the other team instead of Steubenville.

Not certain you could play a high school game at The Greenbrier Resort yet do to the lack of bleachers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT