ADVERTISEMENT

Area freshman football all but done

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Berkeley Springs announced today that they were not going to field a 9th grade freshman football team this year. The only two area schools that still have freshman football are Alco and FH. But I think the numbers are going to be real close at Alco for having one as well. Won't know until practice starts.

So Todd,
Would Morgantown High be the next closest to Cumberland?
University High in Morgantown doesn't have a Freshmen team.

The closest frosh teams I know of are Morgantown, Martinsburg, Hedgesville, Musselman, Bedford, Hollidaysburg, Altoona. I'm not positive but I think North and South Hagerstown are the only Washington County schools that still have it.

I'm hearing that Spring Mills is possibly dropping frosh football. The Winchester schools don't have it. Sherando doesn't play a frosh schedule, but they separate out their 9th graders when they play FH for a game.

If the Alco freshman team folds this year that means FH needs 3 more frosh games. I've been told to go ahead and schedule other JV opponents if possible. FH is not going to cancel frosh football. The numbers are actually good this year. At the same time they don't want to get Urbana and Linganore JV teams versus the FH frosh. It may require finally sending the frosh 2 hours away now to get other frosh opponents.

Ed, if you have a short list of WV teams with a frosh team please email me, even if they are full. Still need that 4th Quad team. We may have a team from Canada coming if the MPSSAA approves them and we come up with some hotel money.

I was told Sherando has 40 freshmen but are only have 5 games scheduled. They might be interested.

WOTS is that North Hagerstown will not field a freshman team and with Frederick Co dropping frosh football that leaves only Fort Hill on the South Hagerstown schedule with a team. The death of freshman football in Wash Co is likely.

Freshmen I know of in WV
Bridgeport
Parkersburg
Morgantown
Wheeling Park
Ripley
Huntington
Hurricane
Marietta, OH

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT