ADVERTISEMENT

Appel doesn’t want to play Lackey in reg season?

Wow didn't expect all this conversation (some off topic) but this was my first post and I was just curious about everyone's thoughts on Lackey and FH playing Week 1 before the SMAC conference games start. I saw a Lackey staff member a few weeks ago at a basketball game and they told me it was possible because someone reached out to both FH’s AD and HC and were waiting a reply. Time has passed since then and I saw your schedule was set for next season so didn't know if a response was ever sent back. Would love to see a new 1A rivalry at both stadiums in the near future. Thanks for the great feedback!

So Lackey "reached out to both FH's AD and HC and were waiting for a reply"??? Not surprising. I suspected this when Helmick answered the question and was careful to note nobody contacted him but didn't mention Appel. Middletown is still waiting for a call too.

You're new to the board, so you have to understand FH almost never plays good teams during the regular season. That's just their policy, and it makes sense because they get home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The playoff game last year against Lackey really scared them because it was so close. If they had blown you out I guarantee Lackey would be on the schedule this year.

After years of watching this scheduling process for every school in both MD and WV I've come to the conclusion that everybody picks and chooses games that best fits their interest. I don't wish to harbor ill feelings as FH does it just as much as all MPSSAA teams and all WV teams including the top dogs like Martinsburg. Teams do what's best for them as you said.

Althought I do believe FH is the only one in these parts that gets held to a standard of who they should be playing. That's because FH rarely loses. Yes the weight of the crown thing. I would rather have the crown be heavy.

Even the original poster was surprised he got this type of response. He now sees what we all see year round and every season -- the FH schedule is the hottest topic by far. It's a very old discussion.

I am glad FH is dropping and picking their schedule. Everyone does it to them so they need to do it back. Too bad. What comes around goes around. With that said, if I were the AD at FH my kids wouldn' play Frankfort or Keyser in any sport. There is no need to do so.

Well yes... I agree.

FH beat MCC. They were very good. Holidays burg Allegany and Keyser all were in the playoffs. Friendship would have beat Allegany by 4 td. You should think of those things before you spew foolishness

FH beat MCC. They were very good. Holidays burg Allegany and Keyser all were in the playoffs. Friendship would have beat Allegany by 4 td. You should think of those things before you spew foolishness

MCC was better than Silver Oak, Capitol Christian and MATHS, but they were another school that y'all talked up. They were a 1A school that was weak against the run. We already discussed this several times. Greenway refs called 21 penalties against MCC and FH still almost got beat.

MCC was better than Silver Oak, Capitol Christian and MATHS, but they were another school that y'all talked up. They were a 1A school that was weak against the run. We already discussed this several times. Greenway refs called 21 penalties against MCC and FH still almost got beat.

Run defense was definitely not suited for the wing T. But not too many teams put up 42 on FH. That's still a pretty impressive offense. I think it's a bit ingenuous of you to simply say they are better than MATHS or Silver Oak.

FH squeaked by Alco in the playoffs, whereas FH could not squeak by Dunbar. What the hell is this never ending penchant to take a shot at Allegany whenever possible. FH was damn lucky to get to the championship game last year.

A coach told me FH reached out to every PG County team for Week 5 but none of them responded. What comes around goes around.

It should be noted that FH had one of the top 10 toughest schedules in all the MPSSAA last year according to MaxPreps.

Melbourne Central Catholic put 6 kids into a D1 scholarship. They would be a top 20 team in Maryland. FH Beat them on the last play with a winning FG. Then had to turn around and play at Friendship.

A coach told me FH reached out to every PG County team for Week 5 but none of them responded. What comes around goes around.

It should be noted that FH had one of the top 10 toughest schedules in all the MPSSAA last year according to MaxPreps.

Melbourne Central Catholic put 6 kids into a D1 scholarship. They would be a top 20 team in Maryland. FH Beat them on the last play with a winning FG. Then had to turn around and play at Friendship.

Whatever gets posted here about the schedule, the opposite is usually the truth. I read this stuff and just laugh.

Maybe FH has a deal with Lackey for 2019 & 2020 for Week 1 when the two year cycle starts back up. Did that ever cross anyone's mind? Ohhhhhhh, snap! Then again maybe they don't. FH has a 2018 Week 1 opponent, did that ever cross anyone's mind? Even if Lackey did reach out...no one here knows who else FH was already in contract talks with. There were several schools in the Week 1 ball park as I said before. That week always has options. No one here is a part of that process so the only thing to do is make up information. I have a huge handful of teams that turned FH down per usual. I have a handful of teams FH turned down. So what's the difference? FH will continue to have one of the toughest if not the toughest schedules in all of Class 1A and Class 2A.

But BrianH is correct...everyone gets concerned over who FH didn't play. When you lose 3 games in 5 years that will happen. And yes I did hit up all of PG County and Montgomery County again for other weeks. Does that mean they avoided FH? What's the difference?

Run defense was definitely not suited for the wing T. But not too many teams put up 42 on FH. That's still a pretty impressive offense. I think it's a bit ingenuous of you to simply say they are better than MATHS or Silver Oak.

True, they are somewhere in the middle. They were also not as good as people were talking them up to be.

Alco had a hell of a year. I have nothing bad to say. But don’t be like Boyz lag. It hurts him that FH is king of the hill around here.

FH is currently the king of the hill in Allegany County. They have been for over 10 years. When has this ever been in question?

"A coach" told you? FH hasn't played a Top 25 Maryland school in over 10 years, If they have name them, lol. I'll wait. You got blown out by a 4-3 Friendship school. Friendship isn't viewed as a power in the DC area.

Whatever gets posted here about the schedule, the opposite is usually the truth. I read this stuff and just laugh.

Maybe FH has a deal with Lackey for 2019 & 2020 for Week 1 when the two year cycle starts back up. Did that ever cross anyone's mind? Ohhhhhhh, snap! Then again maybe they don't. FH has a 2018 Week 1 opponent, did that ever cross anyone's mind? Even if Lackey did reach out...no one here knows who else FH was already in contract talks with. There were several schools in the Week 1 ball park as I said before. That week always has options. No one here is a part of that process so the only thing to do is make up information. I have a huge handful of teams that turned FH down per usual. I have a handful of teams FH turned down. So what's the difference? FH will continue to have one of the toughest if not the toughest schedules in all of Class 1A and Class 2A.

But BrianH is correct...everyone gets concerned over who FH didn't play. When you lose 3 games in 5 years that will happen. And yes I did hit up all of PG County and Montgomery County again for other weeks. Does that mean they avoided FH? What's the difference?

I'm not debating any of this. As I keep saying, FH hasn't played a Top 25 Maryland school in 10 years. If they have name them. You won 4 titles in a row and never played another Top 25 team - congratulations. Just in the last 2 years Dunbar, Middletown, Lackey and Wise have expressed interest in playing them. Yes, Wise is 4A, just like Walter Johnson. You dropped Martinsburg because they wore you out for 7 years in a row and apparently are not playing Friendship - after you raked other schools over the coals for breaking contracts in the past.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
True, they are somewhere in the middle. They were also not as good as people were talking them up to be.
I just don't know if I can go along with that. The talk that I remember is that they had a high powered offense and were more than capable of beating Fort Hill. And that was spot on.

They put more points on FH than anyone has in a while. Took them to the absolute wire. Aside from three teams in the last 5 years that defeated FH, who has really been that close? You can't just say they weren't that good because FH beat them. FH barely beat them.

I'm not debating any of this. As I keep saying, FH hasn't played a Top 25 Maryland school in 10 years. If they have name them. You won 4 titles in a row and never played another Top 25 team - congratulations. Just in the last 2 years Dunbar, Middletown, Lackey and Wise have expressed interest in playing them. Yes, Wise is 4A, just like Walter Johnson. You dropped Martinsburg because they wore you out for 7 years in a row and apparently are not playing Friendship - after you raked other schools over the coals for breaking contracts in the past.

HEY EVERYONE LOOK WHO IS BACK TOUTING FH NOT PLAYING WISE AND MARTINSBURG. Read his post. Martinsburg, Wise, Wise, Martinsburg. What a freaking dumbass.

FH doesn't play Maryland teams outside the county period. Aint no one from PG County playing FH I can assure you. Oh wait 4A champ Wise. Got us good there.

FYI, Friendship was easily a Top 25 MD school holmes. See their schedule. See their D1 signees. Stop hating FH so much. It's not healthy.

Last edited:
Martinsburg, Wise, Wise, Martinsburg. Hahahahahaha.

With his airbrushed Campers shirt on.

Last edited:

Over the last five years, Friendship has played two other MPSSAA schools other than Fort Hill. Dunbar and Westlake.

Friendship beat Dunbar 45-8 in 2014. Dunbar made the 2A finals that year so it wasn't a down year for the Poets. Friendship finished 4-6 that year. Oh, Dunbar only played them once. Did Dunbar have a two year deal and break it? Will you post on the Sun board on why the Poets didn't continue to play Friendship?

The year before Friendship played Westlake of Charles county and beat them 27-0. Westlake made the 3A playoffs that year and Friendship was the only game they lost by more than one score. Friendship finished 7-5 that year. Oh, Westlake only played them that one year also. Did Westlake have a two year deal and break it?

BTW, Damascus is playing Walter Johnson this year. Yes, they are in the same county, but will you post on the MoCo board on why couldn't have they scheduled a more difficult Montgomery County school or go OOC to play Wise?

So Lackey "reached out to both FH's AD and HC and were waiting for a reply"??? Not surprising.

So Fort Hill "reached out to all the PG County and Montgomery County's AD and HC and were waiting for a reply"??? Not surprising.

Over the last five years, Friendship has played two other MPSSAA schools other than Fort Hill. Dunbar and Westlake.

Friendship beat Dunbar 45-8 in 2014. Dunbar made the 2A finals that year so it wasn't a down year for the Poets. Friendship finished 4-6 that year. Oh, Dunbar only played them once. Did Dunbar have a two year deal and break it? Will you post on the Sun board on why the Poets didn't continue to play Friendship?

The year before Friendship played Westlake of Charles county and beat them 27-0. Westlake made the 3A playoffs that year and Friendship was the only game they lost by more than one score. Friendship finished 7-5 that year. Oh, Westlake only played them that one year also. Did Westlake have a two year deal and break it?

BTW, Damascus is playing Walter Johnson this year. Yes, they are in the same county, but will you post on the MoCo board on why couldn't have they scheduled a more difficult Montgomery County school or go OOC to play Wise?

You can't compare the Friendship teams from 2013 - 2014 to the current team. First of all, when you have to go back 4 years to make your point it should tell you something. Second, it's a new coaching staff and DCIAA has put in rules to prevent players moving around between schools. The current Friendship team is recognized as solid but not as a power in the area.

I don't know anything about Westlake breaking a two-year deal with Friendship. I personally don't have a problem with schools breaking deals (under certain circumstances). I was referring to the FH supporters on this board who were highly upset that schools broke contracts with FH in the past. People made scathing comments about them and said the administrators from those schools had no class.

So Fort Hill "reached out to all the PG County and Montgomery County's AD and HC and were waiting for a reply"??? Not surprising.

You are all over the place with these claims. I just want to point out your own words in this thread, you said "90%" of the schools in the MPSSAA aren't willing to play FH, which means that 10% are. Why not schedule those schools (Middletown, Dunbar, Lackey, Wise etc.)? When you haven't played another Top 25 Maryland school in over 10 years it's hard to defend. It's obviously a decision the coaching staff has made to not play a tough regular season schedule, and there's nothing wrong with that. I keep saying it's a smart strategy designed to get home field throughout the playoffs.

You are all over the place with these claims. I just want to point out your own words in this thread, you said "90%" of the schools in the MPSSAA aren't willing to play FH, which means that 10% are. Why not schedule those schools (Middletown, Dunbar, Lackey, Wise etc.)? When you haven't played another Top 25 Maryland school in over 10 years it's hard to defend. It's obviously a decision the coaching staff has made to not play a tough regular season schedule, and there's nothing wrong with that. I keep saying it's a smart strategy designed to get home field throughout the playoffs.
What is your obsession with the Maryland top 25?

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
What is your obsession with the Maryland top 25?
that's what I can't figure, I believe from the Top 25 last season counting FH leaves 24 Teams and I am almost certain only 8 or 9 are public schools.
Anyone that thinks that MCC from Fla wouldn't be a Top 15 Public School in Maryland is CRAZY.....
I have been very critical of the schedule in past year's when we knew FH was going to be very good, mainly I miss Martinsburg from the Schedule. I know there has to be a cupcake or two and I would rather see other Teams like Morgantown, University, Grafton, Bridgeport, Martinsburg, Chestnut Ridge, Hollidaysburg, Altoona, Central than Smithsburg, Boonsboro, Williamsport type teams that have no shot in any year.

I would ask you the same about claims. FH tried to schedule Dunbar and Middletown. I don't know about Lackey nor do you. The bigger question is why do you keep bringing up FH playing Wise? It pretty much sums up your stupidity and dislike of FH.

Melbourne CC is a top 25 Maryland school. They rank higher than several others in the state media poll according to MaxPreps. Hello? FH doesn't play Maryland schools very often. Been that way for a long time. There have been some years where Alco was the only MD team and the rest WV. So that is like me saying Wise isn't legit because they haven't beaten a Top 25 DC or VA school. In fact they never play anyone worth a damn outside PG County. Play St. Johns, Gonzago, Good Counsel or DeMatha like you insist FH do.

You make no sense. Blinded by hate for FH.

Reactions: towpath94
I would ask you the same about claims. FH tried to schedule Dunbar and Middletown. I don't know about Lackey nor do you. The bigger question is why do you keep bringing up FH playing Wise? It pretty much sums up your stupidity and dislike of FH.

Melbourne CC is a top 25 Maryland school. They rank higher than several others in the state media poll according to MaxPreps. Hello? FH doesn't play Maryland schools very often. Been that way for a long time. There have been some years where Alco was the only MD team and the rest WV. So that is like me saying Wise isn't legit because they haven't beaten a Top 25 DC or VA school. In fact they never play anyone worth a damn outside PG County. Play St. Johns, Gonzago, Good Counsel or DeMatha like you insist FH do.

You make no sense. Blinded by hate for FH.

Please re-read the entire thread. Helmick brought up Wise first. You should be upset with him. I don't see a problem with FH playing them though. 1A Douglas played them last year. And Walter Johnson is 4A, as I say all the time, you play the 1A card when it's convenient.

I never pretended to be an expert on Lackey. All I know is what this post is about, they tried to reach somebody at FH and nobody responded. You should call him a hater, lol. The same thing that happened with Middletown last year. But of course, you can never find any MPSSAA schools to play you (except for Silver Oak). The FH coaching staff has the Silver Oak's AD phone number on speed dial, lol

Last edited:
you’re correct FH does have SOA on speed dial. The funny thing is FH has the same record against alco as they do SOA since 2010. They both fail miserably when they play FH. Boyz I believe u compared SOA to MCC. Maybe SOA and Alco is a better analogy

Last edited:
No obsession, I'm just stating a fact. Which one of these teams has FH played in the last 10 years? And you can include the schools that get votes, that's 30 teams: http://www.mdprepfootball.com/?p=11546
Melbourne Central Catholic that's who. Sherando 2015 that's who. Yep in that list easily.

Who in that list has Dunbar played in the last 10 years? LOL. For double laughs who has Damascus played from that list? Look it up and get back with us. LOL.

Truthfully I am a fan of Alco when they aren’t playing FH but when Boyz takes these unnecessary shots at FH it’s to easy to retaliate. No matter what Boyz or any other alco person says I have nothing but respect for Allegany’s program. 8 titles who can argue with that?

"They both fail miserably when they play FH" - So, if Allegany's one point loss to FH in the playoffs was a miserable failure then FH's four point loss to Dunbar was a cataclysmic collapse of both character and coaching.

Not the point Lag. The point is alco hasn’t beat FH since 09. The SOA comments by Boyz are out of line. FH played TJ, Mt st joe, and martinsburg in 09 and beat them all and still lost to alco in the playoffs. In 17 FH played MCC and Friendship along with alco twice plus lackey and Dunbar. No state titles in 09 or 17 but a very tough schedule both years. 8-3 in those games mentioned. Not bad if u ask me. I compare 09 with 17 because I know the kids from both these teams very well. Neither team won states but the talent level was there. As much as the 4 teams that did win.

Not the point Lag. The point is alco hasn’t beat FH since 09. The SOA comments by Boyz are out of line. FH played TJ, Mt st joe, and martinsburg in 09 and beat them all and still lost to alco in the playoffs. In 17 FH played MCC and Friendship along with alco twice plus lackey and Dunbar. No state titles in 09 or 17 but a very tough schedule both years. 8-3 in those games mentioned. Not bad if u ask me. I compare 09 with 17 because I know the kids from both these teams very well. Neither team won states but the talent level was there. As much as the 4 teams that did win.

"They both fail miserably when they play FH" - That statement is the point. If you stand by your opinion, mine is justified by your logic. You want to deal with Boyz, do so. Try not using Allegany as a handy whipping boy for your examples. Find someone else until you beat Dunbar.

No obsession, I'm just stating a fact. Which one of these teams has FH played in the last 10 years? And you can include the schools that get votes, that's 30 teams: http://www.mdprepfootball.com/?p=11546
hqdefault.jpg

Truthfully I am a fan of Alco when they aren’t playing FH but when Boyz takes these unnecessary shots at FH it’s to easy to retaliate. No matter what Boyz or any other alco person says I have nothing but respect for Allegany’s program. 8 titles who can argue with that?

as we all should be but this is where it gets tricky because he does not care about the shots at Alco. He is more a hater of FH than a fan of Alco. He only likes Alco because they are the chief rival of FH. Just look at his history of posts. Very rarely discusses or attends Alco games. I only wished he hated sex offenders against minors as much as he hates FH. 8-3-11

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT