ADVERTISEMENT

Appel doesn’t want to play Lackey in reg season?

I have a post on the MPSSAA open dates board now going on 3 months. No one from Lackey reached out to me.

The only MPSSAA school that reached out was Wise. Same deal, different year.

Week 1 is the easiest hole to fill. Anyone in a league or county rotation usually has the first week open to play non-conference games. With that said, did Lackey want to play a Week 5 game? If the answer is no they have someone already I don't consider that turning down a game.

Last edited:
I understand FH picked up a Class 4A private school for week 1.

I doubt it. If they wanted that kind of action Friendship would still be on the schedule. It's probably a small private school that you will talk up like they're a 4A school (see: Melbourne CC), lol

I doubt it. If they wanted that kind of action Friendship would still be on the schedule. It's probably a small private school that you will talk up like they're a 4A school (see: Melbourne CC), lol

What if it was an MIAA-A school?

What part about no one in the MPSSAA answered the open date requests other than Wise don't you understand.

I also heard Keyser dropped FH but kept Alco and Mountain Ridge. hahahahaha, now that's funny.

The problem with Helmick's response is it was so convoluted I don't understand what he was saying, lol. The original post asked if Appel turned down the game. The possible answers are: Yes, No, or IDK. He said no one reached out to him, but it's still possible Lackey reached out directly to Appel.

What does Keyser have to do with anything? In every thread you veer off the topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneRing
What if it was an MIAA-A school?

I would be very surprised. It's just out of character for FH to play a team of that caliber, especially this year when they have lost a lot of talent. I have asked before why they don't schedule private schools. The excuse has been FH can't get games because other MPSSAA schools are worried about losing to a 1A school because of how the points are awarded. But private schools don't have that concern (about points). People on here said, "we're a small 1A school so we shouldn't have to play those schools." So the 1A excuse is used when it's convenient.

I would be very surprised. It's just out of character for FH to play a team of that caliber, especially this year when they have lost a lot of talent. I have asked before why they don't schedule private schools. The excuse has been FH can't get games because other MPSSAA schools are worried about losing to a 1A school because of how the points are awarded. But private schools don't have that concern (about points). People on here said, "we're a small 1A school so we shouldn't have to play those schools." So the 1A excuse is used when it's convenient.

The reason I said MIAA is because Sunspot has a couple posters talking about a week 1 matchup with Fort Hill and Loyola.

Although Loyola has temporarily left the MIAA. So I guess technically, they are an independent right now. They still play an MIAA heavy schedule.

Guess we will wait and see.

The problem with Helmick's response is it was so convoluted I don't understand what he was saying, lol. The original post asked if Appel turned down the game. The possible answers are: Yes, No, or IDK. He said no one reached out to him, but it's still possible Lackey reached out to Appel.

What does Keyser have to do with anything? In every thread you veer off the topic.

Judging by your other posts on this board, you don't understand a lot of things.

Reactions: towpath94
The reason I said MIAA is because Sunspot has a couple posters talking about a week 1 matchup with Fort Hill and Loyola.

Although Loyola has temporarily left the MIAA. So I guess technically, they are an independent right now. They still play an MIAA heavy schedule.

Guess we will wait and see.

I'm not an expert on Baltimore teams so I don't know much about Loyola. I read they are moving from the MIAA-A to the lower tier MIAA-B so they probably aren't a "Class 4A" school, but it would make an interesting match-up this season.

The problem with Helmick's response is it was so convoluted I don't understand what he was saying, lol. The original post asked if Appel turned down the game. The possible answers are: Yes, No, or IDK. He said no one reached out to him, but it's still possible Lackey reached out directly to Appel.

Helmick's message was straight to the point. Only you would read into it how you see fit. Wise responded to his post and that was it. What more is there to know? The entire MPSSAA avoided FH it reads to me. Same thing he has been telling us for years.

I brought up Keyser because this thread is about who wouldn't play who as usual. As usual it's always about who FH didn't play when the list of who won't play FH is insanely long. So if someone doesn't like the fact FH picked and chose who they wanted I would say good for FH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
I think Boyz likes toying with you all. He can’t be serious. He is either provoking people for fun, hates FH really bad or both. If Allegany won 20 out of the last 25, 14 out of the last 15 and the last 12 in a row, and was in 5 straight state titles and won 4 of them what would you guys say? I’d say Alco rules and leave it at that. This guy or girl can’t do that. The only explanation is one of the 2 reasons mentioned above.

Reactions: towpath94

Every year this subject goes round and round. FH has a demographic talent flow beyond its 1A size. Even in a down year FH is a challenging opponent for most schools. This would be the year to play FH, but what is the incentive basis the MD playoff system? It's an oversimplification to suggest that most teams are 'afraid' to play them. I am sure other coaches ask themselves the same question Appel asks himself, "What do we get out of it?"

And yes, Keyser decided what is best for Keyser. FH will decide what is best for FH. And - as I have posted before - I am not sure what Alco is thinking.

Fort Hill's first 2 opponents will be Class 4A schools worth a lot of points should they win.

So basically the answer is yes, Appel turned the game down.
You know what would be great! I mean fantastic! If you would do us all a favor and type up a 10 game schedule that you think FH should play. Suitable for you one you can really be proud of. Because I’d really really love to see that. I’m sure it would blow all of our minds.

Schedule should be:
Alco
Ridge
Northern
Southern
Keyser
Frankfort
Hampshire
Martinsburg
Boonsboro
smithsburg

9 local and 1 (Martinsburg) tough old rival
Gives 7 consistent wins and 3 tough games (Keyser alco martinsburg)

Just a dream though

I'm not an expert on Baltimore teams so I don't know much about Loyola. I read they are moving from the MIAA-A to the lower tier MIAA-B so they probably aren't a "Class 4A" school, but it would make an interesting match-up this season.

They are an all boys school with like 1000 students. So def 4A size. As for "4A performance," yeah they are rebuilding. Not dropping to MIAA B, they are leaving the MIAA altogether while they rebuild. They will still play theTurkey Bowl game with Calvert Hall at least. Not sure the rest of their schedule, but probably a few MIAA schools. I think the reason they are going independent is so they aren't required to play Gilman, Riverdale, MSJ and all those schools in one season while they work on things.

You're right, it would be an interesting match-up. Both teams rebuilding, so to speak. I hope the rumors pan out to be true.

He means that you don't comprehend very well. I feel bad for you to have to live your life stuck in stupid.

Why do people just come to this page to argue? You got mad at 9 Route for doing this and now you people do the same thing.

Heard Appel wanted to dumb down this years schedule due to it being his sons senior year. Heard pretty weak schedule. 7 home games

Helmick's message was straight to the point. Only you would read into it how you see fit. Wise responded to his post and that was it. What more is there to know? The entire MPSSAA avoided FH it reads to me. Same thing he has been telling us for years.

I brought up Keyser because this thread is about who wouldn't play who as usual. As usual it's always about who FH didn't play when the list of who won't play FH is insanely long. So if someone doesn't like the fact FH picked and chose who they wanted I would say good for FH.

Read the response again, Helmick never said Appel didn't turn the game down. If the Lackey rumor isn't true why not just shut it down and say it's not true, or say you don't know. Just in the last two years Dunbar, Middletown, Wise and now Lackey have apparently expressed interest in playing FH.

I don't see the relevance in discussing Keyser. This is how threads continuously go off topic. Do you also want to talk about how FH (and Alco) dropped Martinsburg? Is the Friendship game still on the schedule this year? Didn't you criticize other schools in the past for breaking contracts?

Throw out all the classifications...out the window...I mean out the window. Prepare your kids to win and they can play with anyone. There has been a team who has done that for many years in Western Maryland. If the team Capitalizes on turnovers, works the clock by taking the ball out of the other teams hands and Wins the penalty battle and each individual player does there job! it’s close or it’s a W. But sometimes you shouldn’t have to play those team to fill a schedule. Until they decide to make it mandatory to play 4-5 games in your region from YOUR state it won’t be fixed. People wanna talk but knowone wants to change anything. FH and Allegany are in the same boat with no paddles.

Read the response again, Helmick never said Appel didn't turn the game down. If the Lackey rumor isn't true why not just shut it down and say it's not true, or say you don't know. Just in the last two years Dunbar, Middletown, Wise and now Lackey have apparently expressed interest in playing FH.

I don't see the relevance in discussing Keyser. This is how threads continuously go off topic. Do you also want to talk about how FH (and Alco) dropped Martinsburg? Is the Friendship game still on the schedule this year? Didn't you criticize other schools in the past for breaking contracts?

Of course FH has turned down and dropped opponents. Many schools have turned down and dropped FH. What is your point, that everyone else can do this to FH but FH shouldn't do it? Half the teams on Alco's schedule won't play FH for all the money in Cumberland. As Lag pointed out, every school is going to choose what is best for them. Can't call one out with out calling them all out, which is all you and a few others do here.

So yes let's also talk about who won't play FH like Keyser, other 1A teams, Flowers, Parkdale, Hagerstown, Montgomery County, Wheeling Park and pretty much 90% of the MPSSAA.

Schedule should be:
Alco
Ridge
Northern
Southern
Keyser
Frankfort
Hampshire
Martinsburg
Boonsboro
smithsburg

9 local and 1 (Martinsburg) tough old rival
Gives 7 consistent wins and 3 tough games (Keyser alco martinsburg)

Just a dream though

I do like a predominantly local schedule like the one you have here, but I'm also a big fan of scheduling 1 or 2 opponents outside of the region that have a different look to them. I thought FH's schedule this past season was really good. The Florida team that took them to the wire and then the other school that beat them were two very good programs/games. If you're going to make a run, which they did, then it's a slam dunk to schedule 1 or 2 non-traditional area teams to help you prep.

We did it years ago. I would've loved to have played Hampshire and Martinsburg in 2001, but we played a really good team from Pittsburgh and Bullis Prep from DC who had a few D1 guys. Lost both games, but it definitely helped us prep for the playoff run.

if it were me, I'd only use a Boonsboro/Smithsburg/Hampshire if and when I needed them. Instead of those schools every year, try to get a PA, Virginia/West Virginia or other downstate team on the schedule. I think the diversification really helps our local teams get ready for what they'll eventually see in the playoffs, even if you lose a regular season game to a better team.

My Fort Hill Dream Schedule
1 Cupcake like MATHS
2 Hollidaysburg
3 Sherando
4 Southern
5 Martinsburg or Bridgeport
6 Smithsburg
7 Morgantown
8 Boonsboro
9 Mountain Ridge
10 Allegany

Keyser,Frankfort,Hampshire,Northern are Teams that won't play them.

Other Teams I wouldn't mind seeing fill games sometimes would be:
Chestnut Ridge, Central PA, Altoona, Fairmont Sr, Windber PA, Somerset PA, Bishop Guilfoyle, State College PA,
John Handley VA

I would love to see a more MD based league form with FH as a member. Include the likes of Oakdale, Walkersville and Middletown. Good or better 1A and 2A teams. Then add 2-3 out of league/state schools.

Of course FH has turned down and dropped opponents. Many schools have turned down and dropped FH. What is your point, that everyone else can do this to FH but FH shouldn't do it? Half the teams on Alco's schedule won't play FH for all the money in Cumberland. As Lag pointed out, every school is going to choose what is best for them. Can't call one out with out calling them all out, which is all you and a few others do here.

So yes let's also talk about who won't play FH like Keyser, other 1A teams, Flowers, Parkdale, Hagerstown, Montgomery County, Wheeling Park and pretty much 90% of the MPSSAA.

I agree with just about everything you're saying. I've never called out any school for setting up their schedule for the playoffs, I'm just saying if you do it be honest about it. This is the first time I've heard any FH supporter on this board admit to this: "Of course FH has turned down and dropped opponents." And be consistent, in the past you and many others were very upset and very critical when teams broke contracts.

I would love to see a more MD based league form with FH as a member. Include the likes of Oakdale, Walkersville and Middletown. Good or better 1A and 2A teams. Then add 2-3 out of league/state schools.

It's a good idea and probably what should happen, but I think they tried this with the AMAC and it didn't work.

I agree with just about everything you're saying. I've never called out any school for setting up their schedule for the playoffs, I'm just saying if you do it be honest about it. This is the first time I've heard any FH supporter on this board admit to this: "Of course FH has turned down and dropped opponents." And be consistent, in the past you and many others were very upset and very critical when teams broke contracts.

It is going to be difficult this year and maybe a couple years hereafter for anyone to bang on schools who drop FH - given Friendship is off the schedule. Justifiable sure - though not more or less than the actions of Keyser. (Remember the ghastly Keyser attack thread? Glad we will not see a thread listing the 'top 10' reasons FH dropped Friendship.)

Wow didn't expect all this conversation (some off topic) but this was my first post and I was just curious about everyone's thoughts on Lackey and FH playing Week 1 before the SMAC conference games start. I saw a Lackey staff member a few weeks ago at a basketball game and they told me it was possible because someone reached out to both FH’s AD and HC and were waiting a reply. Time has passed since then and I saw your schedule was set for next season so didn't know if a response was ever sent back. Would love to see a new 1A rivalry at both stadiums in the near future. Thanks for the great feedback!

It is going to be difficult this year and maybe a couple years hereafter for anyone to bang on schools who drop FH - given Friendship is off the schedule. Justifiable sure - though not more or less than the actions of Keyser. (Remember the ghastly Keyser attack thread? Glad we will not see a thread listing the 'top 10' reasons FH dropped Friendship.)

I will keep this on an adult level Lag. But comparing FH dropping Friendship or Martinsburg for that matter isn't in the same ballpark as Keyser. None of those teams play FH in every sport, none of those teams play in all the youth leagues, none of those teams are 30 min away.

I will keep this on an adult level Lag. But comparing FH dropping Friendship or Martinsburg for that matter isn't in the same ballpark as Keyser. None of those teams play FH in every sport, none of those teams play in all the youth leagues, none of those teams are 30 min away.

Thanks for keeping our exchange gentlemanly. Which is why I sincerely hope you are not suggesting that Keyser - "not being in the same ballpark" - was warranted a smear campaign so low as to be one of the worst of last year's threads.

Incidentally, Friendship would have been less than 30 minutes away this year as a home game. And please remember, I clearly stated that FH was correct in canceling the game in a down year.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Wow didn't expect all this conversation (some off topic) but this was my first post and I was just curious about everyone's thoughts on Lackey and FH playing Week 1 before the SMAC conference games start. I saw a Lackey staff member a few weeks ago at a basketball game and they told me it was possible because someone reached out to both FH’s AD and HC and were waiting a reply. Time has passed since then and I saw your schedule was set for next season so didn't know if a response was ever sent back. Would love to see a new 1A rivalry at both stadiums in the near future. Thanks for the great feedback!

"No one from Lackey reached out to me." - Helmick

I will side with Helmick on this one.

Thanks for keeping our exchange gentlemanly. Which is why I sincerely hope you are not suggesting that Keyser - "not being in the same ballpark" - was warranted a smear campaign so low as to be one of the worst of last year's threads.

Incidentally, Friendship would have been less than 30 minutes away this year as a home game. And please remember, I clearly stated that FH was correct in canceling the game in a down year.

After years of watching this scheduling process for every school in both MD and WV I've come to the conclusion that everybody picks and chooses games that best fits their interest. I don't wish to harbor ill feelings as FH does it just as much as all MPSSAA teams and all WV teams including the top dogs like Martinsburg. Teams do what's best for them as you said.

Althought I do believe FH is the only one in these parts that gets held to a standard of who they should be playing. That's because FH rarely loses. Yes the weight of the crown thing. I would rather have the crown be heavy.

Even the original poster was surprised he got this type of response. He now sees what we all see year round and every season -- the FH schedule is the hottest topic by far. It's a very old discussion.

I am glad FH is dropping and picking their schedule. Everyone does it to them so they need to do it back. Too bad. What comes around goes around. With that said, if I were the AD at FH my kids wouldn' play Frankfort or Keyser in any sport. There is no need to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT