ADVERTISEMENT

Alijah Metz

BoyznBlue

Franchise Poster
Sep 18, 2007
A college coach told me they are keeping their eye on this kid. Evidently he's been putting in some good work at a few camps. I think he has at least one solid offer so far.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Never heard him. Don’t remember him at all from last season. What position? Assuming he has super speed if he’s generating interest from colleges already without having much play time. I know Danny King from FH and Tre Smith from Mt Ridge have multiple offers and a ton of interest at the next level. Knowing how hard it is for kids from this area to get recruited it’s puzzling how this basically unheard of kid is getting offers but hey more power to him! Love to see our area getting college attention so I hope he is successful!

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Never heard him. Don’t remember him at all from last season. What position? Assuming he has super speed if he’s generating interest from colleges already without having much play time. I know Danny King from FH and Tre Smith from Mt Ridge have multiple offers and a ton of interest at the next level. Knowing how hard it is for kids from this area to get recruited it’s puzzling how this basically unheard of kid is getting offers but hey more power to him! Love to see our area getting college attention so I hope he is successful!

Yeah as Cumberland HSFB said earlier, they really didn't play him last season. He's getting attention because of his size and athletic potential that he showed at a few offseason camps.

I say this is a very, very smart young man who completely understands the system. High school sports are about scholarships and championships, not about the actual competitive experience. Obviously, this proves that if you have ability you don't actually have to play the game at the high school level, at least in not Cumberland, to benefit from it. The experience itself, the competition, the struggle with personal accomplishments, just doesn't matter anymore.

Why risk injury? Put on the uniform. Ride the bus and the bench. Go to off-season camps and get a ride to college without taking much, if any, game contact. He may well not be alone in this thinking, which might explain the bench-depth at FH while Alco plays most all the kids who can actually take a hit.

Smart young man. I wish him well.... and I am not being sarcastic, coy or any descriptor suggesting anything other than my honest opinion. My literary tongue is not pressed against the inside of my literary cheek.

I say this is a very, very smart young man who completely understands the system. High school sports are about scholarships and championships, not about the actual competitive experience. Obviously, this proves that if you have ability you don't actually have to play the game at the high school level, at least in not Cumberland, to benefit from it. The experience itself, the competition, the struggle with personal accomplishments, just doesn't matter anymore.

Why risk injury? Put on the uniform. Ride the bus and the bench. Go to off-season camps and get a ride to college without taking much, if any, game contact. He may well not be alone in this thinking, which might explain the bench-depth at FH while Alco plays most all the kids who can actually take a hit.

Smart young man. I wish him well.... and I am not being sarcastic, coy or any descriptor suggesting anything other than my honest opinion. My literary tongue is not pressed against the inside of my literary cheek.
He is a good kid and will do well this season. Last year he had to compete with 1 and 44 at tight end he had to know he wasn't going to play allott

He is a good kid and will do well this season. Last year he had to compete with 1 and 44 at tight end he had to know he wasn't going to play allott

Hey! His choice to go there and sit and the coach's choice to not work him into every game when they were up over 2 scores. It's the system when your goal is never to lose and when you win, win real big.

I'm not sure if I agree with everything you're saying because I'm pretty sure he wants to be on the field. But I've noticed that most of the kids from the area that do get scholarships is because of parental involvement, you can't leave it to the school to get you recruited, and I'm not referring to any one school in particular - it seems to be that way no matter what school you attend.

I'm not sure if I agree with everything you're saying because I'm pretty sure he wants to be on the field. But I've noticed that most of the kids from the area that do get scholarships is because of parental involvement, you can't leave it to the school to get you recruited, and I'm not referring to any one school in particular - it seems to be that way no matter what school you attend.

Completely agree with that. Getting in front of college coaches is essential but I’m still surprised to see someone get a coaches attention with little to no film to show. Especially with the amount of talented kids from all our area schools that start all season and have a ton of quality film and they get zero attention. I’m happy for the kid just a little surprised.

Good choice

An athlete, a junior no less, who has a collegiate offer would start at a 3A school.... hell, might make the new St. Francis B team - at least he would play. He sits his ass at 1A FH. Good choice? How jaded we become.

I mean really.... Doesn't anybody else find it bizarre for a 1A school? There has to be something cult-like about it. I see how FH gets all the depth and talent. I scratch my head how they have been able to talk students and parents into having really talented kids sit the bench when they beat so many schools by such wide margins.

He could have walked across town and played most every down in every game. Maybe I am giving students and parents too much credit, but to me the student had no problem sitting, probably because he already had an offer. Just a guess. I only know what I read here.

He could have walked across town and played most every down in every game. Maybe I am giving students and parents too much credit, but to me the student had no problem sitting, probably because he already had an offer. Just a guess. I only know what I read here.
He is in a better program

He is in a better program

Choosing not to play for Alco so one can not play for FH is not being in a program at all, especially when you have the ability to play in every game for almost any school in the state.

What the hell is a 'participation' ring from last year worth? It must be worth a lot. Since... I mean... we're talking about a sport, right - not like joining the Masons or the Shriners where one (in a football sense) might dress up, circle around a football and recite shit. Football involves some type of physical exertion.

FH football apparently morphed into church: whereas, you 'go to' church, at FH you 'go to football'... just follow the ark-of-the-football-covenant down the steps and hold 'service' on the bench as the 'chosen few' blow out another patsy with their Appel tree-of-knowledge.

I do agree that since FH virtually never loses (and in that regard only), it is better than Allegany. But if one were to suggest in any way that Alco is not a good place to play high school football... well, that is just plain silly. On the other hand, if you were a recruited athlete and wanted to actually 'play' varsity football... on the field... with a football... during all of your varsity years... then Alco is better.

Lol, ignore the obviously trolling "better program" comment. But I understand where you're going, believe me downstate another school (probably a private) would have contacted him after his sophomore year and he would have already transferred. I love the Cumberland tradition but it does hurt some players if they are content sitting behind another player and missing potential opportunities.

Choosing not to play for Alco so one can not play for FH is not being in a program at all, especially when you have the ability to play in every game for almost any school in the state.

What the hell is a 'participation' ring from last year worth? It must be worth a lot. Since... I mean... we're talking about a sport, right - not like joining the Masons or the Shriners where one (in a football sense) might dress up, circle around a football and recite shit. Football involves some type of physical exertion.

FH football apparently morphed into church: whereas, you 'go to' church, at FH you 'go to football'... just follow the ark-of-the-football-covenant down the steps and hold 'service' on the bench as the 'chosen few' blow out another patsy with their Appel tree-of-knowledge.

I do agree that since FH virtually never loses (and in that regard only), it is better than Allegany. But if one were to suggest in any way that Alco is not a good place to play high school football... well, that is just plain silly. On the other hand, if you were a recruited athlete and wanted to actually 'play' varsity football... on the field... with a football... during all of your varsity years... then Alco is better.
Lol ok u think alpo has a program at all they are damn near closed for business

Lol, ignore the obviously trolling "better program" comment. But I understand where you're going, believe me downstate another school (probably a private) would have contacted him after his sophomore year and he would have already transferred. I love the Cumberland tradition but it does hurt some players if they are content sitting behind another player and missing potential opportunities.
No it is a better program and nobody said he is an great talent he has the framework to be great.thats what the scouts are looking at

I can't see where it's a tradition in Cumberland football to select teams you can kick the shit out of and still have a talented junior not getting sufficient playing time, particularly one that has been recruited for his basic ability. If FH were playing every game against equal talent and 'who had the ball last' usually won.... well, okay I almost see some good kids not getting in the game. But even then, if you have good talent one would think that keeping kids fresh with a sub now and then is a good idea. On the other hand, beating a patsy into a running clock doesn't really wear your starters out.

I can't see where it's a tradition in Cumberland football to select teams you can kick the shit out of and still have a talented junior not getting sufficient playing time, particularly one that has been recruited for his basic ability. If FH were playing every game against equal talent and 'who had the ball last' usually won.... well, okay I almost see some good kids not getting in the game. But even then, if you have good talent one would think that keeping kids fresh with a sub now and then is a good idea. On the other hand, beating a patsy into a running clock doesn't really wear your starters out.
Watched homecoming the last couple years have ya

You were too busy watching the game to watch the game?

The sad thing is FH has become cult-like in its ability to horde the town's talent. The last game I zapped through on the Commercial vid was Robinette's last homecoming game. Last year, an Alco starter was kicked off right before homecoming, so with fewer players... why bother to watch. Frankly, the sidelines are pathetic during homecoming with a 3A size squad playing a just-making-it 1A squad.

If students don't want to take advantage of the town's mobility to actually play football, so be. Let 'em sit their ass on the bench. The rivalry is 'so over'.... and if the school merger goes through you will have a whole lot more young men who could play riding the damn bench, especially if the mentality continues at FH to play teams that their starters can beat by 70 points, while keeping quality kids 'grabbing lumber' on the sideline.

The sad thing is FH has become cult-like in its ability to horde the town's talent. The last game I zapped through on the Commercial vid was Robinette's last homecoming game. Last year, an Alco starter was kicked off right before homecoming, so with fewer players... why bother to watch. Frankly, the sidelines are pathetic during homecoming with a 3A size squad playing a just-making-it 1A squad.

If students don't want to take advantage of the town's mobility to actually play football, so be. Let 'em sit their ass on the bench. The rivalry is 'so over'.... and if the school merger goes through you will have a whole lot more young men who could play riding the damn bench, especially if the mentality continues at FH to play teams that their starters can beat by 70 points, while keeping quality kids 'grabbing lumber' on the sideline.
You don’t watch the same FH games as the rest of us then. To continue to say that the starters are the ones who put 70 points on teams is laughable. Last year in the region title game against catoctin the second and third teams were in during the middle of the second quarter. Hell maliki Webb (I know I probably butchered his first name spelling) got touches in the fourth quarter and he was called up from the JV team the week before.

Webb and 3 sophomore linemen were called up after the JV season. They all seen time on the field during the playoffs.
Hard to believe 3 sophomore linemen were the most talented kids in the area......Even harder to believe is that someone could predict their talent level while being on the JV team.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
You don’t watch the same FH games as the rest of us then. To continue to say that the starters are the ones who put 70 points on teams is laughable. Last year in the region title game against catoctin the second and third teams were in during the middle of the second quarter. Hell maliki Webb (I know I probably butchered his first name spelling) got touches in the fourth quarter and he was called up from the JV team the week before.

Okay, so the entire 2nd and 3rd team got in the game in the second quarter. This recruited junior, Metz, must have been on the 4th team. My point has always been that this is high school football; if the kid has talent you get him in the game.

Webb and 3 sophomore linemen were called up after the JV season. They all seen time on the field during the playoffs.
Hard to believe 3 sophomore linemen were the most talented kids in the area......Even harder to believe is that someone could predict their talent level while being on the JV team.

It's nice to know that some sophomores were brought up to fix an apparent weakness. That in no way addresses the issue here that a recruited junior virtually didn't play. There is quite a difference between getting talent on the field in high school versus plugging holes in the line. The mission of high school football claims to be about the student. In most cases we know that's horse-hit, but every now and then it's worth repeating.

if the mentality continues at FH to play teams that their starters can beat by 70 points,

Their starters "can beat by 70 points." Who the hell suggested that they left the starters in until they scored 70 points??? Nobody!! The point here is not that some subs don't get in the games; the point is that talented young men don't get in the games. In high school it should be more about the students, not just plugging some damn holes. What a shame that sophomores are moved up to play (strictly to help da team), while a recruited junior is glued to the bench.

Okay, so the entire 2nd and 3rd team got in the game in the second quarter. This recruited junior, Metz, must have been on the 4th team. My point has always been that this is high school football; if the kid has talent you get him in the game.
He wasn't being recruited as a junior

He wasn't being recruited as a junior

You gotta love this stuff....

I've heard of picky, but this is nose-picky.

Mkay. What is it? Recruited as a sophomore after going to football camps and still not playing as a junior (sans special teams in the playoffs) or recruited during this summer after virtually not playing as a junior but before before his senior year.

I'm mean, at this point... what is your frickin' point?

Oh, let's see:
Other options: recruited as a freshman? Oh gee..... recruited in middle school. Recruited... Oh what the hell.... He is recruited talent that parked his ass on the bench last year!

You gotta love this stuff....

I've heard of picky, but this is nose-picky.

Mkay. What is it? Recruited as a sophomore after going to football camps and still not playing as a junior (sans special teams in the playoffs) or recruited during this summer after virtually not playing as a junior but before before his senior year.

I'm mean, at this point... what is your frickin' point?

Oh, let's see:
Other options: recruited as a freshman? Oh gee..... recruited in middle school. Recruited... Oh what the hell.... He is recruited talent that parked his ass on the bench last year!
Nose picky thats rich coming from a guy that tirades about the size of a high school football teams bench

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT