ADVERTISEMENT

Alco folds freshman basketball

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
Got to the Greenway Gym last night to find out there was no longer going to be a FH vs. Alco triple header in boys basketball. That Alco has folded freshman basketball due to a lack of numbers.

Wow, what has Cumberland become? Even Paw Paw can field a bball team.

In 3 years or less Alco won't have a JV football program. Mark it down.

FH still needs to schedule Wise and Martinsburg in football though. LOL.

Got to the Greenway Gym last night to find out there was no longer going to be a FH vs. Alco triple header in boys basketball. That Alco has folded freshman basketball due to a lack of numbers.

Wow, what has Cumberland become? Even Paw Paw can field a bball team.

In 3 years or less Alco won't have a JV football program. Mark it down.

FH still needs to schedule Wise and Martinsburg in football though. LOL.
And BTW you are totally wrong about football.

Yes. Speaking of football here

Freshman football is important for game experience and skills development.

According to the Allegany website it isn't canceled. The game is still listed

I agree with you in theory. I don't think it really makes the players any better, but I think it's healthy for the kids and keeps them busy.
Agreed...freshman teams are less about player development and more about the kids... which is not a bad thing. It does also provide game time experience to players who otherwise would be sitting on the bench on their JV teams. This is less important now that there are so many youth teams but there are still those few rare kids that at unable to participate in sports until high school where buses get them to and from the games. Also , some decide to switch sports, i.e. soccer for football. For kids like that, freshman teams can be very important for them to gain game-time experience and perhaps be ready to play by junior or senior year.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Having freshman sports is extremely advantageous if you have the numbers. We have been through this here before. It's just common logic.

It's absolutely a developmental tool. Unless you consider sitting on the bench as a back up being a better developmental tool. At the same time, if a team doesn't have the numbers then those kids will see playing time on the JV. So it depends on the numbers obviously. But at FH there would have been close to between 40 and 50 kids on the JV football squad if there was no freshman team. Only 11 can be on the field. Getting those kids extra playing time they normally wouldn't get is huge. If you don't consider playing experience to be advantageous...well, nevermind.

I do believe the Fort Hill JV would be better as a team if they combined. Much like a varsity team with juniors and seniors is going to be better than a team with seniors only. But wins and losses shouldn't matter at this lower level. It's more about development and getting kids experience.

But I will agree, again if you don't have the numbers the kids still see playing time combining with sophomores. It depends.

Reactions: 52 to victory
Having freshman sports is extremely advantageous if you have the numbers. We have been through this here before. It's just common logic.

It's absolutely a developmental tool. Unless you consider sitting on the bench as a back up being a better developmental tool. At the same time, if a team doesn't have the numbers then those kids will see playing time on the JV. So it depends on the numbers obviously. But at FH there would have been close to between 40 and 50 kids on the JV football squad if there was no freshman team. Only 11 can be on the field. Getting those kids extra playing time they normally wouldn't get is huge. If you don't consider playing experience to be advantageous...well, nevermind.

I do believe the Fort Hill JV would be better as a team if they combined. Much like a varsity team with juniors and seniors is going to be better than a team with seniors only. But wins and losses shouldn't matter at this lower level. It's more about development and getting kids experience.

But I will agree, again if you don't have the numbers the kids still see playing time combining with sophomores. It depends.

To say freshman sports is "extremely advantageous" is extremely hyperbolic. I don't have a major problem with freshman sports. Like I said previously, it's a healthy activity and keeps the kids out of trouble. But I think the money spent by the school for freshman sports would be better spent on another academic pursuit. I love sports but we have to remember in public schools we're talking about tax-payer funds. If a 9th grader can't get on the field for the JV squad, is it really hurting their development to sit behind a 10th grader for one year? That same player will be in front of them for two more years. You are 100% correct: experience is a plus, but for the handful of players that will benefit I don't think it's worth the financial investment.

To say freshman sports is "extremely advantageous" is extremely hyperbolic. I don't have a major problem with freshman sports. Like I said previously, it's a healthy activity and keeps the kids out of trouble. But I think the money spent by the school for freshman sports would be better spent on another academic pursuit. I love sports but we have to remember in public schools we're talking about tax-payer funds. If a 9th grader can't get on the field for the JV squad, is it really hurting their development to sit behind a 10th grader for one year? That same player will be in front of them for two more years. You are 100% correct: experience is a plus, but for the handful of players that will benefit I don't think it's worth the financial investment.

Tax payers do not pay for sports. No different from youth and pee wee leagues or church league basketball. Now tax payer dollars do build the gyms and fields.

Tax payers do not pay for sports. No different from youth and pee wee leagues or church league basketball. Now tax payer dollars do build the gyms and fields.

When the freshman team travels to away games what budget does that come out of?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT