ADVERTISEMENT

Alco/FH

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
Alco 7 FH 6 second qtr Allegany played Ridge tight as well in the first half, their line gets tired which we will probably see today

I am not sure at this point if FH will have 150 Total Yards...
I've never seen them totally shutdown from running like this before, the closest I've seen was at Mountain Ridge but this is much worse, I think FH is in big trouble.
I honestly thought 45-13 or 52-13 with Alco scoring one late.
This is gonna be a WAR til the end.
Alco's line is better than FH's

6 penalties, 2 turnovers in 1 half of football. Been along time since I’ve seen a Fort Hill team this sloppy. Thank God they’re not playing Mountain Ridge

Make Mikey Allen and Carter Hess not a major factor and FH will be beat. Ridge has the players to do it.

Last edited:
it looks like it could of been called but it also looks like the FH WR started the hand fight and pulled onto the defender.
also the ref on the play is a FH Grad and the best FH basketball player in the history of the School.

Alco Blocks a Punt and recovers at FH 15
1:56 left in 3rd 14-7 FH
Alco knocking on the door

FH blocks Alco FG and returns for a TD. Alco on the FH 13 yard line down 14-7, FH not moving the ball should have never tried a fg go for the td

Last edited:
So for those who were supremely confident in the FH staff making adjustments and corrections after the MR game, where are your thoughts now? I would say my confidence in the outcome being different dropped significantly after today. It's not often two teams, both local, dominate the line of scrimmage over FH, is it a coaching or a personnel issue? Here's my two cents. You beat MR something like 16 times in a row, and they are your main competition going into the season. Why do you change your offense? You put up 51 points in the final last year, what makes you think you need to go to a spread and pass more? I know I know a lot of us have advocated more passing, but nobody ever said change your entire scheme to do it...you can pass out of the wing-t. It seems like FH has done what everybody else has done and that is abandoned the traditional wing-t, their bread and butter, to throw more. You have played into MR and Alco's strengths by doing what they see weekly...what they don't see is what you have been doing for the last 15 years. Drop it, spend the week and the next game going back to what you do best, substituting some of the people you have in the wrong position. My main example of this is a pounding fb that you need in the traditional wing-t offense, work on two or three simple passes, spend the entire week talking about penalties and turnovers, and hope it's not too late.

So for those who were supremely confident in the FH staff making adjustments and corrections after the MR game, where are your thoughts now? I would say my confidence in the outcome being different dropped significantly after today. It's not often two teams, both local, dominate the line of scrimmage over FH, is it a coaching or a personnel issue? Here's my two cents. You beat MR something like 16 times in a row, and they are your main competition going into the season. Why do you change your offense? You put up 51 points in the final last year, what makes you think you need to go to a spread and pass more? I know I know a lot of us have advocated more passing, but nobody ever said change your entire scheme to do it...you can pass out of the wing-t. It seems like FH has done what everybody else has done and that is abandoned the traditional wing-t, their bread and butter, to throw more. You have played into MR and Alco's strengths by doing what they see weekly...what they don't see is what you have been doing for the last 15 years. Drop it, spend the week and the next game going back to what you do best, substituting some of the people you have in the wrong position. My main example of this is a pounding fb that you need in the traditional wing-t offense, work on two or three simple passes, spend the entire week talking about penalties and turnovers, and hope it's not too late.
At the beginning of the season I was talking about weaknesses I saw in the line play. I am really amazed that mountain ridge and now Allegany dominated the line so easily. let’s face it most Ford Hill teams in the past did not have this amount of quickness but without blocking it doesn’t mean too much.

I’m so glad someone else talked about going away from the wing T. I said it after the mountain ridge game, the offensive play calling is terrible and it’s been terrible for 3 years now. They just had Blake white last year to make it look better. I believe the reason FH is getting dominated in the trenches is because the line man do not get a chance to establish themselves. It seems like this season the first time the full back gets stopped for no gain the play callers abandon it for the shot gun to throw from. I miss Gavin palumbo, he may have been conservative but damn it he was determined to establish the wing t early in games and let the linemen wear on the opponents.

Reactions: Dwj21 and Dorito88
I think everyone needs to keep in mind, AHS and MR knows FH better than any other teams in the state.

At the same time, I am not certain FH is a state championship caliber team at the moment. Too many mental errors. Also, based on three post-game interviews, I am not sure the role “we” plays on this team as opposed to “I.”

Do I think FH can right the ship and still play for a state championship this year? I do, but it will take some additional work.

I'm sorry, but the wing-t can be a set, but not every down. It can be stopped, especially by local teams. FH lost this game because they did not run outside enough or throw short passes or screens. That will make them fundamentally better. FH could learn a lot of MR's coaching. FH has the playmakers to run MR's plays and be very successful on offense. FH's #15 is no MR #8, but can make short, quick throws, including screens. All it takes is practice. I think FH's best formation is the I. It keep's the defense guessing on which way the play is going and allows for quick audibles without too much confusion. I also like the occasional shotgun and wildcat. With FH's speed, not running the wildcat is foolish. What about the option out of the wildcat? And, going back to the pound-it-up-the-middle offense is why FH had no state championships for years. Find a way to work around the weak line play, but don't go back to the offense that always made you second-best.

Allegany cleans up some things, they may win the rematch
Agreed. I would go as far as to say these two teams are nearly equal, with neither be as good as MR. The deciding factor would come down to mistakes and penalties.

I'm sorry, but the wing-t can be a set, but not every down. It can be stopped, especially by local teams. FH lost this game because they did not run outside enough or throw short passes or screens. That will make them fundamentally better. FH could learn a lot of MR's coaching. FH has the playmakers to run MR's plays and be very successful on offense. FH's #15 is no MR #8, but can make short, quick throws, including screens. All it takes is practice. I think FH's best formation is the I. It keep's the defense guessing on which way the play is going and allows for quick audibles without too much confusion. I also like the occasional shotgun and wildcat. With FH's speed, not running the wildcat is foolish. What about the option out of the wildcat? And, going back to the pound-it-up-the-middle offense is why FH had no state championships for years. Find a way to work around the weak line play, but don't go back to the offense that always made you second-best.
The wing t offense you say made them second best and that doesn’t work against local teams is the same wing t offense that is 15-1 against ridge and won 17 or 18 straight against allegany plus 6 state titles in the past decade. Sweeps, pitches, and inside reverses are all ways to get to the edge and get outside but none of it works if there’s no threat of a inside run game with the full back

Holding penalties on so many of FH positive plays is really concerning to me. So many drive stoppers, being behind the chains so often creates a play calling dilemma. I'm starting to question FH blocking techniques. You will not beat better teams with 6,7,8 holding penalties per game. Seems to be a continuous problem. Get back to fundamental techniques in your blocking schemes. Get the ball to your playmakers in space. Run wide, short passing game, slants, bubble screens to # 1, # 2, # 5. Not sure of the total, but it seemed to me that 3some only touched the ball 12- 15 times. Got to get these guys more touches in space. Each one can take it to the house any time the touch the ball. More touchs should equal more positive possessions. Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
Holding penalties on so many of FH positive plays is really concerning to me. So many drive stoppers, being behind the chains so often creates a play calling dilemma. I'm starting to question FH blocking techniques. You will not beat better teams with 6,7,8 holding penalties per game. Seems to be a continuous problem. Get back to fundamental techniques in your blocking schemes. Get the ball to your playmaker in space. Run wide, short passing game, slants, bubble screens to # 1, # 2, # 5. Not sure of the total, but it seemed to me that 3some only touched the ball 12- 15 times. Got to get these guys more touches in space. Each on can take it to the house any time the touch the ball. More touchs should equal more positive possessions. Just one man's opinion.
it sure looks like technique

Reactions: ravemwp
The wing t offense you say made them second best and that doesn’t work against local teams is the same wing t offense that is 15-1 against ridge and won 17 or 18 straight against allegany plus 6 state titles in the past decade. Sweeps, pitches, and inside reverses are all ways to get to the edge and get outside but none of it works if there’s no threat of a inside run game with the full back
Those teams you speak about had a dominating offensive line. Not this year.

what a run, that was a huge. I think it was Mikey Allen.
He hit the hole and made some quick cuts and gone...
FH 14 Alco 7 3:10 left in the Half
It was Mikey. Such a gifted and talented athlete. He has a natural instinct for the game that I have not seen in many, many years. Some D-1 program could steal this young man and allow him time to learn how to play the game.

I have not seen the stats yet from today as to how many penalties FH produced. But there is a very unhealthy trend there. FH had 11 penalties at Mtn Ridge. 10 at New Oxford and a ton of them today. Most of them are 10 and 15 yard variety to boot. This is not an officiating problem at this point. It's seems obvious that some of the OL can't make their block so they either hold, clip or chop block illegally.

If one or two guys are largely guilty then you have to replace them. Even if it means drastic changes such as moving the TE there.

I have not seen the stats yet from today as to how many penalties FH produced. But there is a very unhealthy trend there. FH had 11 penalties at Mtn Ridge. 10 at New Oxford and a ton of them today. Most of them are 10 and 15 yard variety to boot. This is not an officiating problem at this point. It's seems obvious that some of the OL can't make their block so they either hold, clip or chop block illegally.

If one or two guys are largely guilty then you have to replace them. Even if it means drastic changes such as moving the TE there.
I posted something earlier questioning possibly their fundamental blocking techniques, or the blocking schematics, because as you say, if it were only one or possibly two guys you could make changes. This is very concerning to me, because it has been an ongoing problem by many different players. I don't want to disrespect Allegany or the tremendous effort they gave today, and I'm sorry to say this, but honestly a better team would have beaten FH today. Alco is just to undermanned at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConeyIsland

When Fort Hill tried to pass lineman we’re unblocked and the technique was poor. I just watched the replay and it’s pretty sad.

Reactions: 4R341 and ravemwp
When Fort Hill tried to pass lineman we’re unblocked and the technique was poor. I just watched the replay and it’s pretty sad.
Yep. No pass protection. Need to throw out of shotgun to give #15 a chance to throw. Even then, the line needs to do more. Didn't #77 play both ways last year?

Yep. No pass protection. Need to throw out of shotgun to give #15 a chance to throw. Even then, the line needs to do more. Didn't #77 play both ways last year?
He plays both ways this year.

Something to add. It's amazing what you hear around the coffee pot after church!
So two moms, one's son is on varsity, the other jv, were going on and on about the coaches losing control of the team. The first mom was almost giddy that her son was right about changing the weight lifting program hurting in the long run. She said yesterday was the perfect example of why you don't mess with what is working. Her son said if you think we're being pushed around this year wait until next year.
The second mom chimed in that it also can't be overlooked when you start somebody because they are your best friends son and then after two games have to yank him and replace him it causes friction and division within the team. She said Coach said before the first game of the season that #21 would be starting if he had been in the FH system from youth football on. Yet #5 hasn't been in the program or any football program the past three years so why is he starting? If #5 can be our best player under the circumstances how do we know that #21 couldn't be way better than what we got in his position, what does youth football have to do with it? Twenty pounds can make a big difference when you are trying to get a few yards.
To me the coaches statement seems illogical anyway because that kid played in a spread and that is what fh has been running half the season or more, wouldn't that make him just as qualified to play?

Something to add. It's amazing what you hear around the coffee pot after church!
So two moms, one's son is on varsity, the other jv, were going on and on about the coaches losing control of the team. The first mom was almost giddy that her son was right about changing the weight lifting program hurting in the long run. She said yesterday was the perfect example of why you don't mess with what is working. Her son said if you think we're being pushed around this year wait until next year.
The second mom chimed in that it also can't be overlooked when you start somebody because they are your best friends son and then after two games have to yank him and replace him it causes friction and division within the team. She said Coach said before the first game of the season that #21 would be starting if he had been in the FH system from youth football on. Yet #5 hasn't been in the program or any football program the past three years so why is he starting? If #5 can be our best player under the circumstances how do we know that #21 couldn't be way better than what we got in his position, what does youth football have to do with it? Twenty pounds can make a big difference when you are trying to get a few yards.
To me the coaches statement seems illogical anyway because that kid played in a spread and that is what fh has been running half the season or more, wouldn't that make him just as qualified to play?
I said that at the beginning of the year when Allen came over. You have kids in the program for 3 years giving 100 percent and are told you will get your chance. This kid just waltzes in after not even playing football for years and takes over. What are the players suppose to think? Some FH coach or coaches should have spoken up. This kid is nothing special. The Clay twins were twice the player he is.

I said that at the beginning of the year when Allen came over. You have kids in the program for 3 years giving 100 percent and are told you will get your chance. This kid just waltzes in after not even playing football for years and takes over. What are the players suppose to think? Some FH coach or coaches should have spoken up. This kid is nothing special. The Clay twins were twice the player he is.
I agree with the kids that have been in the program getting their chance. I really totally disagree with the statement that the Allen kid is not special. He is by far a very special athlete. As far as his playing time. In talking to a couple of coaches, a couple of players, along with some parents, this kid has earned every snap he has taken. The kid specifically told the coaching staff he didn't need any promises, that he would earn his playing time, which apparently he has. If that hurts some feelings, well then work harder and be better. Don't blame Fort Hills problems on a kid who worked his way onto the field. I'm not sure why it seems so many people in this town keep rooting for this kid to fail. Oh and by the way, if Allen had come to Fort Hill originally, those same kids who aren't playing now still wouldn't be playing. Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT